PDA

View Full Version : tPF The End of History Not Turning Out as Hoped

Chris
08-09-2016, 03:40 PM
This is a somewhat serious look at Francis Fukuyama's end of history prediction. And, please, no but we're a republic, that's a form of democracy. So the question is has something happened to falsify his prediction?

The End of History Not Turning Out as Hoped (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/08/09/the_end_of_history_not_turning_out_as_hoped_131461 .html)

The scholar Francis Fukuyama has been widely ridiculed for the title of his 1992 book, "The End of History." Critics point out that we've had -- suffered -- a lot of history since then: the 9/11 attacks, prolonged wars in the Middle East, a worldwide financial crisis and deep recession.

But Fukuyama's point wasn't that all conflict would cease. His argument was that the Western model of democratic governance and market-based capitalism had emerged as the only intellectually serious model of a good society. Other models have persisted -- China's centralized control, Russia's petrostate, Islamic jihad -- but don't have appeal beyond the places where they are imposed by force.

That remains a strong argument. But as one looks at this nation and around the world, one has to say that democratic governance has not been operating optimally and market capitalism seems to be going through a protracted rough patch.

Exhibit A for Americans is of course the 2016 presidential race, in which both major parties managed to nominate candidates with majority negative ratings. Our presidential nominating system is the weakest part of our political system and, even after major reform and minor tinkering, there seems to be no entirely satisfactory way to structure it.

For two centuries, God or good luck provided Americans with brilliant leaders in times of crisis. It's beginning to look like our luck has run out or that God is on vacation....

midcan5
08-09-2016, 07:01 PM
"For two centuries, God or good luck provided Americans with brilliant leaders in times of crisis. It's beginning to look like our luck has run out or that God is on vacation...."

Loved that line, and while I consider Trump dangerous, I look to Hillary more as a safe choice. My personal take on economics is (TIC) we learned too much from the great depression, when the great recession arrived, the government should have left all the financial institutions crash, the auto industry crash, all the jobs go away, no infrastructure building, stop all government payouts, and then, and then, only then, FDR or at least someone like him would rise up from the ashes of economic magic once more, and Americans would once again believe and work together, because bread lines aren't that appealing. LOL Maybe I'll have serious thought on this topic, but probably not tonight.

From bondage to spiritual faith
* From spiritual faith to great courage
* From great courage to liberty
* From liberty to abundance
* From abundance to selfishness
* From selfishness to complacency
* From complacency to apathy
* From apathy to dependence
* From dependence back to bondage
Source: In the early 1700s, Professor Alexander Tyler wrote this about the fall of the Athenian republic over a thousand years ago.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jared_diamond_on_why_societies_collapse.html

We make it up as we go along. mid

texan
08-09-2016, 08:34 PM
I will say this Chris and you can quote me, the world didn't start when you started paying attention. This is something I have been saying for years. People tend to try an pigeonhole things into a time-frame they want to review because it makes a point. I bet you can find this all through the depression for example.

This country and it's system is strong enough to defeat the forces that are trying to destroy it from within. It is self correcting and that my good man is the good news and genius of the founders.

Another good example is the man made global warming stuff.

Chris
08-09-2016, 08:50 PM
I will say this Chris and you can quote me, the world didn't start when you started paying attention. This is something I have been saying for years. People tend to try an pigeonhole things into a time-frame they want to review because it makes a point. I bet you can find this all through the depression for example.

This country and it's system is strong enough to defeat the forces that are trying to destroy it from within. It is self correcting and that my good man is the good news and genius of the founders.

Another good example is the man made global warming stuff.

Entirely unrelated to the point of the OP. Do you know what Fukuyama predicted and what that meant? Learn something about it and then try to respond.