PDA

View Full Version : tPF What qualifications should we look for in the president?

nathanbforrest45
08-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Simple question. What should appear on a presidential candidates resume and what other issues should we look for as qualifications.

Please try with all your might to not turn this into a partisan rant. I will ask that anyone who goes off topic be barred from future postings on this thread.

Thank you

FindersKeepers
08-11-2016, 11:50 AM
An interesting question and I would have to say that it will vary by personal beliefs.

For example, I, personally, prefer a candidate who supports our Constitution, one who understands that freedom comes from allowing people to make their own choices and live their own lives -- one who does not think raising taxes is the answer, but rather insists that we operate without our means. I would like a candidate that puts the welfare of the US ahead of the welfare of the rest of the world, and supports a healthy military, but not one who wants to subordinate other nations. I don't care so much about their social beliefs -- unless they intend to push those beliefs into law through executive actions. I want a candidate that does not think we need a cradle-to-grave nanny state.

If a candidate meets those criteria, I don't care if they don't have prior political experience.

nathanbforrest45
08-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Thank you. We hear much to day about candidates not be qualified to be president because of lack of experience. Since no one campaigning for a first term has any experience at being president of the United States I just wonder what we should be looking for. At a minimum level I would suggest we need someone who has had some executive experience in the private sector today. I truly believe those with prior government experience would simply continue the same old same old even if they were the most highly "qualified" to be president. To me, the same old same old is not working and will only allow the country to slip further and further behind.

Green Arrow
08-11-2016, 12:12 PM
I break it down into two categories: negotiable and non-negotiable. If a candidate meets the latter but not the former, they'll get my support.

Negotiable:

- Two terms as governor of a state with a solid, positive record
- One term as U.S. Senator with a solid, positive record

Non-Negotiable:

- Moral integrity
- Ethical integrity
- Ideological integrity (consistency in their beliefs, not necessarily purist in mine)

For example, I voted for Ron Paul in 2012 even though he had never been a governor or a senator and despite disagreeing with him on probably 60% or more of his ideas, but he still had the moral, ethical, and ideological integrity.

Oboe
08-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Simple question. What should appear on a presidential candidates resume and what other issues should we look for as qualifications.

Please try with all your might to not turn this into a partisan rant. I will ask that anyone who goes off topic be barred from future postings on this thread.

Thank you

That he is for America first!

That he is for rule of law!

That he enforces the law!

Safety
08-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Most people will choose a candidate that most closely represents their interests. Some are very partisan and will choose the party regardless of the individual that is running for their party, other people will choose based upon morals.

del
08-11-2016, 09:58 PM
opposable thumbs