PDA

View Full Version : Why You Should Listen to Elizabeth Warren

Conley
09-24-2011, 09:38 AM
The reason for Warren's newfound Internet stardom is simple. She was able to articulate -- in a few words -- what the Democratic Party has been unable to communicate for years:

"There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody.

You built a factory out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did.

Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along."

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11256619/1/why-you-should-listen-to-warren-not-buffett.html

She has some points, if we could trust our government to use revenue the right way. To me that is the biggest issue, but I suppose some revenue put towards proper use it better than none. It's a tough situation.

swannie
09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Not really. Corporate taxes and personal taxes are two different things. Companies pay for their own security and lots of other things too.

MMC
09-25-2011, 12:41 AM
The reason for Warren's newfound Internet stardom is simple. She was able to articulate -- in a few words -- what the Democratic Party has been unable to communicate for years:

You built a factory out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did.

Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along."

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11256619/1/why-you-should-listen-to-warren-not-buffett.html

She has some points, if we could trust our government to use revenue the right way. To me that is the biggest issue, but I suppose some revenue put towards proper use it better than none. It's a tough situation.

Wonder what her point is on selling the Name of a highway. Now that I bought the road that all traffic rolls along on. Maybe I should charge more since now not only do I own the factory but the road as well.

Conley
09-25-2011, 08:52 AM
No one owns the road, but the point is if we stopped paying our taxes the national highway system would cease to exist. That's still a major path for goods carried by trucks.

MMC
09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
No one owns the road, but the point is if we stopped paying our taxes the national highway system would cease to exist. That's still a major path for goods carried by trucks.

Course if they would have used what the money was there for in the first place instead of allowing the Pols to raid the shit. We might actually have had some funds still in there. >:(

Conley
09-25-2011, 09:47 AM

Course if they would have used what the money was there for in the first place instead of allowing the Pols to raid the shit. We might actually have had some funds still in there. >:(

Yep, that's really the problem isn't it. Misuse of funds. They wouldn't need as much tax money if it were spent properly.

Conley
09-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Not really. Corporate taxes and personal taxes are two different things. Companies pay for their own security and lots of other things too.

Companies pay for more than just the bare minimum, but we can't pretend that they operate independently of government infrastructure and services. Now what I would like to see is to eliminate corporate taxes entirely and have only personal taxes. Also I think it'd be great to simplify the tax code and even consider flat tax rates.

Mister D
09-25-2011, 05:40 PM
The tax code is ridiculously complicated. That much is for sure.

Wouldn't eliminating corp. taxes eliminate a large chunk of current revenue? Not coming down on wither side. Just curious. I don't have a background in this.

Conley
09-25-2011, 05:46 PM
The tax code is ridiculously complicated. That much is for sure.

Wouldn't eliminating corp. taxes eliminate a large chunk of current revenue? Not coming down on wither side. Just curious. I don't have a background in this.

It probably would have repercussions but it's the same situation as personal taxes, imo. The ones at the far end of the wealth pay almost nothing. GE for example made billions but shifted it all overseas so they paid very little. Simplify the code and there wouldn't be these loopholes. Make the rules enforceable for all and then see how much comes in. Just my opinion of course.

swannie
09-25-2011, 07:09 PM
It's very simple. New taxes are never the answer.

Conley
09-25-2011, 08:44 PM

It's not that simple actually. The only thing simple about is that currently expenses are greater than incoming taxes and even if we gashes many social programs I'm not sure we could adequately fund out military, ss, medicare and other vital programs.

MMC
09-26-2011, 06:44 AM

It's not that simple actually. The only thing simple about is that currently expenses are greater than incoming taxes and even if we gashes many social programs I'm not sure we could adequately fund out military, ss, medicare and other vital programs.

We could if we were not taking care of the rest of the World. Moreover Warren likes to listen to those EU economists. That needs to end ASAP.

Conley
09-26-2011, 09:05 AM
I should say too the title of the article is "Why You Should Listen to Elizabeth Warren", not my own personal opinion. I know next to nothing about her.

Calypso Jones
05-24-2012, 11:18 PM

The government is not your friend.

And i can't even begin to explain how wrong Princess Faux-cahontas' thinking is.

Calypso Jones
05-24-2012, 11:22 PM
In related news tonite. It was revealed that Crockajawea is 1/8th indian and 7/8th irish. Now that's a drinking problem waiting to happen.