PDA

View Full Version : Average Voter Wait Times a new study finds

Cigar
08-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Black people wait twice as long to vote as white people
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies used data from the Cooperative Congressional Election Study to tabulate which races experience the average longest polling place wait-times. Unsurprisingly, black voters have double the average wait time of white ones.

https://i1.wp.com/fusion.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/screen-shot-2016-08-11-at-1-11-41-pm.png

The Center attributes these differences to two phenomena. The first is a lack of resources at polling places in minority neighborhoods. A Brennan Center study on the November 2012 election found that in three of the states with the longest wait times—Florida, South Carolina and Maryland—voters of color disproportionately had to go to polling places with fewer machines and/or fewer poll workers. There are also outdated voting machines that crash also lengthen lines. Errors in voting rolls — one in eight registration records is invalid or has serious errors — further compound these problems.

The second major factor is cuts to early voting programs, which people of color tend to take advantage of at greater rates than whites. In 2011, several states cut the number of early voting days, the Center report says. Florida, for example, reduced the number of early in-person voting days from 14 to 8. At the 2012 election, several Florida polling places with large populations of color experienced wait times of up to 7 hours.

Whatever their origin, the effects of longer poll lines are huge. The Center estimates that long lines deterred at least 730,000 Americans from voting in November 2012. That works out to about 14,000 voters deterred per state. Voting lines also cost Americans $544 million in lost productivity and wages, creating a kind of feedback loop for voters of color, who are often less able to sacrifice their wages therefore stay away from polling places.

http://fusion.net/story/335786/long-lines-minority-voter-suppression/

I find it amazing the Black People want to Kick Republicans Azz soo Bad, they will wait twice as long to do it.

I'd wait 2 hours ... with a HUGE Smile on my face :grin:

Chloe
08-16-2016, 09:43 AM
Who needs lines? In Oregon we vote by mail and it's great in my opinion.

Truth Detector
08-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Fascinating; so most blacks reside in urban sewers dominated by Liberal Democratic policies and leadership, yet those Democrats are proving incompetent when it comes to getting their willful sheep-like constituents to the polls. Ironic don't you think?

:biglaugh:

Truth Detector
08-16-2016, 09:45 AM

That could prove too complicated for urban liberals. :rofl:

nathanbforrest45
08-16-2016, 09:50 AM
That's because black voters shuffle and jive while in line and forget why there were there and have to start over again.

Standing Wolf
08-16-2016, 09:57 AM
You have to look at the Party affiliation of the election officials - usually the state's Secretary of State - as they are the ones who ultimately determine where to put the "good" machines, the manpower and other resources.

Truth Detector
08-16-2016, 09:59 AM
You have to look at the Party affiliation of the election officials - usually the state's Secretary of State - as they are the ones who ultimately determine where to put the "good" machines, the manpower and other resources.

Yep; and everyone knows that New York, Maryland, California, Minnesota, New Jersey etc etc are bastions of Republican controlled State houses. :rofl:

FindersKeepers
08-16-2016, 10:08 AM
I find it amazing the Black People want to Kick Republicans Azz soo Bad, they will wait twice as long to do it.

I'd wait 2 hours ... with a HUGE Smile on my face :grin:

I waited almost three hours once -- because the person who was supposed to be monitoring the site was late. Really late. The helpers would not let anyone vote until the main woman got there. When she got there she wasn't apologetic at all -- she was kind of mean and standoffish. All the voters were cranky - and hungry. At least I was hungry. I should have just gone home and come back later -- the voting was in a church less than one block from my house, but I was being obstinate and vocal about how bad it was that we weren't voting when the polls were supposed to be open.

You probably experience big-town politics, while I put up with small-town politics. But, believe me, the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

FindersKeepers
08-16-2016, 10:10 AM

"Machines."

Meh.

We're lucky if our paper ballots don't have coffee rings.

Cigar
08-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Fascinating; so most blacks reside in urban sewers dominated by Liberal Democratic policies and leadership, yet those Democrats are proving incompetent when it comes to getting their willful sheep-like constituents to the polls. Ironic don't you think?

:biglaugh:

Actually DS, it's was Southern States where you saw long lines even after Obama was declared the Winner :grin:

You see ... Black People wanted to Run-Up the Score.

The results speak for themselves.

It's been a pleasure watching people like you whine and b!tch for the last 8 years, and the next 8 years.

Safety
08-16-2016, 10:38 AM
...shuffle and jive....

Trump 2016.

nathanbforrest45
08-16-2016, 10:44 AM
A recent study of the top ten motion pictures has shown that white viewers on average are able to see the movie 35 minutes before black viewers. This has been attributed to the fact that most movie theaters are owned by White Republican Male Businessmen.

AZ Jim
08-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Who needs lines? In Oregon we vote by mail and it's great in my opinion.In Arizona (infamous for LONG waits) I vote early from home via US MAIL. Recently our republican leaders had people in 5 hour lines!!! The cut polling locations from 400+ to 60 to "save money".

nathanbforrest45
08-16-2016, 02:34 PM
In Arizona (infamous for LONG waits) I vote early from home via US MAIL. Recently our republican leaders had people in 5 hour lines!!! The cut polling locations from 400+ to 60 to "save money".

How many times did you vote? Don't lie

Cigar
08-16-2016, 02:36 PM
How many times did you vote? Don't lie

How many times did you vote? Don't lie!

Peter1469
08-16-2016, 02:37 PM
I doubt that I even waited more than 5 minutes to vote. But a lot of those years I voted absentee from a military post somewhere not here.

AZ Jim
08-16-2016, 02:50 PM
That's because black voters shuffle and jive while in line and forget why there were there and have to start over again.Stereotype much?

AZ Jim
08-16-2016, 02:51 PM
How many times did you vote? Don't lieThe legal amount. YOU?

TrueBlue
08-16-2016, 02:53 PM
In Arizona (infamous for LONG waits) I vote early from home via US MAIL. Recently our republican leaders had people in 5 hour lines!!! The cut polling locations from 400+ to 60 to "save money".
Republican "leaders?" SHAMEFUL!!

nathanbforrest45
08-16-2016, 03:09 PM
How many times did you vote? Don't lie!

Since when?

nathanbforrest45
08-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Stereotype much?

No, not really. I'm more of a satirical guy actually. I mean, I just wonder what next, perhaps my report on wait times of seeing a movie are not that out of line. Some people can find racism in black olives. I don't.

Truth Detector
08-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Actually DS, it's was Southern States where you saw long lines even after Obama was declared the Winner :grin:

I am amused that you still think Southern States are all Republicans. DUH DS!

You see ... Black People wanted to Run-Up the Score.

The results speak for themselves.

I'm going to need an Ebonics translator for this one. :rofl:

It's been a pleasure watching people like you whine and b!tch for the last 8 years, and the next 8 years.

Still pretending Democrats are winning; it's dumb, but looks great on you! :biglaugh:

Truth Detector
08-16-2016, 03:13 PM

Link please. :rofl:

AZ Jim
08-16-2016, 03:14 PM
No, not really. I'm more of a satirical guy actually. I mean, I just wonder what next, perhaps my report on wait times of seeing a movie are not that out of line. Some people can find racism in black olives. I don't.We know, "Some of your best friends are black!"

AZ Jim
08-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Link please. :rofl:https://www.google.com/#q=Arizona+long+lines Laugh this off TROLL.

nathanbforrest45
08-16-2016, 03:18 PM
We know, "Some of your best friends are black!"

No, I don't play your game. I'm not sure I even know any black people now since I moved to the mountains.

nathanbforrest45
08-16-2016, 03:19 PM
https://www.google.com/#q=Arizona+long+lines Laugh this off TROLL.

I see a lot of white people in that photo. Just saying.

jimmyz
08-16-2016, 03:20 PM
That could prove too complicated for urban liberals. :rofl:

The USPS mail system requires its users to be literate to use properly. "... they white. Beat em!"

Tahuyaman
08-16-2016, 08:13 PM
Republican "leaders?" SHAMEFUL!!

Lol......

Bethere
08-17-2016, 02:09 AM

What if you are homeless? Are you going to be able to vote in oregon?

Chloe
08-17-2016, 08:30 AM
What if you are homeless? Are you going to be able to vote in oregon?

Good question. If you are homeless then you can use the election office as your address or even a shelter as your address and get your ballot from the election office and turn it in.

Don
08-18-2016, 01:14 AM
I'm in Arizona and I remember that election where they cut the polling places from 400 to 60. It sucked for most people and Arizona sure heard about it. They did do it to save money. State governments have been forced to cut things because of all the money the federal government leeches away from them with all their unfunded mandates. Typically the state and county and city governments are just as stupid (republican and democrat) as the feds so they cut in the wrong places. The main reason to even have a government is to serve the common good in only the most basic ways like defending the nation from foreign enemies and on a local level police and fire. Everything else is secondary but its what they want to cut first. Cut police and fire and polling places and roads and infrastructure while the other things don't get touched.

Arizona isn't the first or only state to do this. When I was in Colorado they did the same thing by cutting the polling places. I think they called it streamlining. People hated it and Colorado heard about it. Here in Arizona I was registered with permanent early (mail) voting. When I renewed my drivers license they screwed up and forgot to update me. I had to go to the polling place to vote. While there I filled out a card to get put back on the early vote list. An election is coming up August 30 and I didn't get my ballot. I will have to go to the polling place again. I downloaded a form from the Pinal County website and registered again but I'll have to wait for the Nov. 1 election to find out if they screwed it up again. Maybe they think I'm black?:afro: :laugh:

AZ Jim
08-18-2016, 01:26 AM
I'm in Arizona and I remember that election where they cut the polling places from 400 to 60. It sucked for most people and Arizona sure heard about it. They did do it to save money. State governments have been forced to cut things because of all the money the federal government leeches away from them with all their unfunded mandates. Typically the state and county and city governments are just as stupid (republican and democrat) as the feds so they cut in the wrong places. The main reason to even have a government is to serve the common good in only the most basic ways like defending the nation from foreign enemies and on a local level police and fire. Everything else is secondary but its what they want to cut first. Cut police and fire and polling places and roads and infrastructure while the other things don't get touched.

Arizona isn't the first or only state to do this. When I was in Colorado they did the same thing by cutting the polling places. I think they called it streamlining. People hated it and Colorado heard about it. Here in Arizona I was registered with permanent early (mail) voting. When I renewed my drivers license they screwed up and forgot to update me. I had to go to the polling place to vote. While there I filled out a card to get put back on the early vote list. An election is coming up August 30 and I didn't get my ballot. I will have to go to the polling place again. I downloaded a form from the Pinal County website and registered again but I'll have to wait for the Nov. 1 election to find out if they screwed it up again. Maybe they think I'm black?:afro: :laugh: In this state (Arizona) it's possible. Republican Governor, Recorder, Attorney General, Registrar of voters, Legislator majority.

Truth Detector
08-18-2016, 06:12 AM

Arizona isn't the first or only state to do this. When I was in Colorado they did the same thing by cutting the polling places. I think they called it streamlining. People hated it and Colorado heard about it. Here in Arizona I was registered with permanent early (mail) voting. When I renewed my drivers license they screwed up and forgot to update me. I had to go to the polling place to vote. While there I filled out a card to get put back on the early vote list. An election is coming up August 30 and I didn't get my ballot. I will have to go to the polling place again. I downloaded a form from the Pinal County website and registered again but I'll have to wait for the Nov. 1 election to find out if they screwed it up again. Maybe they think I'm black?:afro: :laugh:

I am not buying this bull; link us up to the facts that Arizona would cut polls by a massive 666%. :rollseyes:

Truth Detector
08-18-2016, 06:13 AM
In this state (Arizona) it's possible. Republican Governor, Recorder, Attorney General, Registrar of voters, Legislator majority.

:rofl:

Don
08-18-2016, 12:50 PM
I am not buying this bull; link us up to the facts that Arizona would cut polls by a massive 666%. :rollseyes:

There are a few links but here is one...http://crooksandliars.com/2016/03/cutting-back-polling-places-not-key
We are talking about Maricopa county but the majority of Arizona's people live in that county. There were 400 polling places in 2008. They cut that to 200 for the 2012 elections. This probably was "streamlining" and didn't seem to hurt at all. But then they cut that to 60 for this years elections and it was a nightmare for Maricopa county voters. I would bet that won't happen in the next two elections this year.

Truth Detector
08-18-2016, 04:21 PM
There are a few links but here is one...http://crooksandliars.com/2016/03/cutting-back-polling-places-not-key
We are talking about Maricopa county but the majority of Arizona's people live in that county. There were 400 polling places in 2008. They cut that to 200 for the 2012 elections. This probably was "streamlining" and didn't seem to hurt at all. But then they cut that to 60 for this years elections and it was a nightmare for Maricopa county voters. I would bet that won't happen in the next two elections this year.

First off; it wasn't a cut FROM 400 polling places; it was 200 places. Secondly, Crooks and Liars is not a great source for ANY factual information. Lastly, many Independents showed up at the polls and it was a CLOSED election that State Officials had notified and advertised; therefore, if you were not a REGISTERED Democrat or Republican, you could not vote in THEIR primaries....so a lot was voter confusion. Lastly, mistakes are made because we are all human. The registrar believed that based on past elections, X amount of voters would show up and many more would mail in their ballots which is the ONLY way to go these days.

The best news source I found is this one:

It was a mistake

The woman in charge of running the election for Arizona’s Maricopa County said the decision to cut polling locations by 70 percent from 2012 was a miscalculation on her part about who would come out to vote and where.

‘‘I made a giant mistake,’’ Maricopa County Recorder Helen Purcell said in a heated hearing in Arizona’s State House Tuesday as she accepted blame — and peoples’ scorn — for what happened.

Purcell, a Republican, said she looked at numbers from the last contested presidential primary in 2008 and assumed many people would mail in ballots.

The bottom line

Stepping back from the rhetoric, it’s unclear what county and state officials would have to gain from trying to disenfranchise Phoenix-area voters. They or their colleagues weren’t on the ballot, and you could argue that cutting polling locations by 70 percent would have been a pretty brash and conspicuous way to go about using this election for political gain.

It was also a primary, meaning disenfranchising certain voter groups like Latinos wouldn’t necessarily have accrued to Republicans’ benefit.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2016/03/31/arizona-primary-was-utter-disaster-but-was-just-big-mistake-something-more-nefarious/6ySQeKWOgHTsJ8UaXmC5SI/story.html

Yes, the usual leftist whack jobs wanted to claim that it was racist and discriminatory; but only quacks care what the leftist whackos claim these days.