PDA

View Full Version : We’re Witnessing History: The Extreme Right Just Seized Control of the GOP

Cigar
08-18-2016, 09:57 AM
It is not an overstatement to say that Bannon is the most prominent mainstreamer of white nationalism in the country today. And now he is running Trump’s campaign.

We sit at a historical pivot point – at the end of the presidency of our nation’s first Black president and on the precipice of the likely presidency of our nation’s first woman president. White nationalism is about maintaining white supremacy; it is also, and equally, about maintaining male supremacy. The patriarchy and white power have always coexisted, reinforcing each other in a recursive loop to uphold the dominance of white males in America.

The Republican Party has spent decades mastering the exploitation of fear and bigotry, while pretending they weren’t. They winked at white nationalists, even as they publicly disavowed them – and now those restless chickens are coming home to roost.

Trump is not an anomaly; he was an inevitability.

http://bluenationreview.com/the-extreme-right-seized-control-of-the-gop/

:applause::applause::applause::applause:
(http://bluenationreview.com/the-extreme-right-seized-control-of-the-gop/)

Private Pickle
08-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Blowback?

Cigar
08-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Blowback?

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-05/enhanced/webdr06/21/9/enhanced-29381-1400679195-8.jpg (http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/the-dinosaur-that-survived-a-mass-extinction)

The Xl
08-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Trump is more of a traditional leftist than Clinton is on a host of issues, from defense to trade. That's from a substantive point of view. The hyperbolic point of view about white supremacy and whatnot is nonsense. The article is a fail.

Tahuyaman
08-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Trump is more of a traditional leftist than Clinton is on a host of issues, from defense to trade. That's from a substantive point of view. The hyperbolic point of view about white supremacy and whatnot is nonsense. The article is a fail.

I'm amazed by how so many Democrats seem to believe that Trump is a conservative.

They must think that a Republican nominee must be a conservative. That's especially odd when you consider the positions of the last few Republican nominees, to include the last Republican president. None of which were or are particularly conservative.

debbietoo
08-20-2016, 09:18 PM
I don't think Trump is counting on winning the election. He and Bannon, from what I gather on the internet, are planning a new right wing television network.

Tahuyaman
08-20-2016, 09:38 PM
I don't think Trump is counting on winning the election. He and Bannon, from what I gather on the internet, are planning a new right wing television network.

I don't believe Trump would go through a presidential campaign just for the publicity to start a new TV network. He could buy all the pub he wants.

Crepitus
08-20-2016, 10:08 PM
I don't believe Trump would go through a presidential campaign just for the publicity to start a new TV network. He could buy all the pub he wants.

Think about that for a minute, he's had all the publicity anyone could want and more and spent barely anything. Plus he's had a lot of fun doing it. I've said all along he never planned on getting this far much less winning, I have to wonder if this was his plan all along.

Mister D
08-20-2016, 10:10 PM

There is nothing resembling an "extreme right" in the US that is even remotely significant in political terms.

Tahuyaman
08-20-2016, 10:13 PM
I don't think he'd go this far just for fun.

maineman
08-20-2016, 10:16 PM
it might very well enhance his "brand" going forward.

Crepitus
08-20-2016, 10:18 PM

Maybe not, but then again....... bored Rich guys have been known to do some crazy stuff! And I'm not saying that's where he is now, I'm wondering if this or something similar is how it started.

Tahuyaman
08-20-2016, 10:22 PM
Maybe not, but then again....... bored Rich guys have been known to do some crazy stuff! And I'm not saying that's where he is now, I'm wondering if this or something similar is how it started.

I don't believe he's ever been that bored.

maineman
08-20-2016, 10:24 PM
My guess is, it really enhances his brand going forward unless he gets totally creamed....then it really hurts it.

Peter1469
08-20-2016, 11:44 PM
Why are we asking members to think who put it out there upfront that they are incapable of thinking?

All sorts of stupid questions and hypos. Are they playing stupid for effect? Or are they just stupid?

I will just watch and smile.

maineman
08-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Why are we asking members to think who put it out there upfront that they are incapable of thinking?

All sorts of stupid questions and hypos. Are they playing stupid for effect? Or are they just stupid?

I agree....my portfolio is diversified to the point where I pretty much make money no matter which way this whole hot mess turns out. I got a horse in the race, but I certainly don't have the farm bet on her.

Peter1469
08-20-2016, 11:51 PM
I agree....my portfolio is diversified to the point where I pretty much make money no matter which way this whole hot mess turns out. I got a horse in the race, but I certainly don't have the farm bet on her.

I guess to me, it is do I continue to root for the US, or do I turn inward and worry only about me. If Hillary gets in then the answer is clear. Do 100% to maximize benefits for me, screw the rest.

maineman
08-20-2016, 11:53 PM
I guess to me, it is do I continue to root for the US, or do I turn inward and worry only about me. If Hillary gets in then the answer is clear. Do 100% to maximize benefits for me, screw the rest.
and if Donald wins, make sure your fallout shelter is well stocked and you've got ammunition to last a decade or more.

Tahuyaman
08-21-2016, 12:26 AM

If they are playing dumb, they are really good at it. They have me convinced.

Bethere
08-21-2016, 01:43 AM

Roger Ailes.

Peter1469
08-21-2016, 08:43 AM
and if Donald wins, make sure your fallout shelter is well stocked and you've got ammunition to last a decade or more.

Donald has a chance of changing things for the better. If he stops the march towards globalism we may be able to stabilize and grow our economy.

Crepitus
08-21-2016, 09:38 AM

So, We just gonna start insulting the whole forum at once now?

Crepitus
08-21-2016, 09:43 AM
At least one media outlet thinks it's possible.

Not that that actually means anything but here it is:

What better way to mark the news that the head of Breitbart.com, the alt-right news site, is now running Donald Trump’s campaign than with a conspiracy theory? And, unlike some of the conspiracy theories that appear on Breitbart, this one might actually be true.

The theory making the rounds is that Trump’s latest campaign reshuffle isn’t really about trying to win the election. In bringing in Steve Bannon, the executive chairman of Breitbart News, and recruiting Roger Ailes, the disgraced former head of Fox News, as an adviser, Trump is making a business play: he’s laying the groundwork for a new conservative media empire to challenge Fox.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/what-are-donald-trump-roger-ailes-and-steve-bannon-really-up-to

Tahuyaman
08-21-2016, 10:58 AM
At least one media outlet thinks it's possible.

Not that that actually means anything but here it is:
http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/what-are-donald-trump-roger-ailes-and-steve-bannon-really-up-to

You can always find some goof-ball in the media who thinks just about anything is possible.

maineman
08-21-2016, 11:11 AM
one can always find some goofballs on a message board who believe that their opinions are facts, and nobody else's are.

MisterVeritis
08-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Trump will have to wait for eight years. He is going to win.

Tahuyaman
08-21-2016, 11:34 AM
one can always find some goofballs on a message board who believe that their opinions are facts, and nobody else's are.

So then, why don't you take a side on this one? I want to see if you will embarrass yourself earlier than usual today.

OGIS
08-21-2016, 01:01 PM
There is nothing resembling an "extreme right" in the US that is even remotely significant in political terms.

Nothing to see here, citizen, move along....

The Xl
08-21-2016, 01:10 PM

There isn't really anything resembling a difference in policy between any of our mainstream politicians, outside of outliers like Trump and Sanders. Extreme right and left wing constituents exist, but they don't exist in the political arena

zelmo1234
08-21-2016, 01:11 PM

You will have no choice, We have plans to downsize, Off shore, and diversify expenses, And we can't wait to see what she is really going to do. It will happen the day after the election.

She is going to be a disaster for the economy in the USA.

zelmo1234
08-21-2016, 01:12 PM

What policy, that Donald is supporting do you think will bring Danger to the USA?

OGIS
08-21-2016, 01:20 PM

it might very well enhance his "brand" going forward.

I don't believe he's ever been that bored.

Roger Ailes.

Donald has a chance of changing things for the better. If he stops the march towards globalism we may be able to stabilize and grow our economy.

The simplest explanation for Trump is also the most likely:

Trump is a narcissist. Regardless of how successful or unsuccessful (having been in finance for 40 years I believe the former) Trump has been, there is something that has always been more important to him than money: fame and adulation. If you look at his non-real-estate career choices that is self-evident.

I think Trump is essentially a liberal on many issues, and a stone-pragmatist on certain others. The two biggies are, of course, illegal immigration and Muslim Fear. Trump figured out that he could transition into a Republican and use those issues to make a run on the White House. He will almost certainly give the Base those issues, as the political downside for him is manageable. But I predict that many conservative Trump supporters will be bitterly disappointed with a Trump Presidency for his lack of movement in other areas of ideology.

For example, and particularly if he figures out (or perceives) a way for it to make him more famous (and maybe make him money), I predict that Trump will legalize marijuana [Trump brand marijuana cigarettes!] and end the War on Some Drugs.

The problem I have with Trump is the problem I have with all Great Men. Great Men are charismatic men. Great Men are industrious men. Great Men are often honest men. And Great Men may even like dogs and children. But Great Men like to accomplish Great Things. History, awash in forced labor and bloodshed, is mostly a chronicle of Great Men attempting Great Things.

But then again, that's what makes it interesting.

But then again again, it is said that interesting adventure stories always tend to downplay the moments of pure, pants-wetting terror and death.

Chris
08-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Agree.

Trump is running left of Clinton. But he's a Rep and she's a Dem, so we get the OP.

nathanbforrest45
08-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Why is it that "the extreme right" seizing control of the Republican Party is evil and destructive but the "extreme left" seizing control of the Democratic Party is just another day in the neighborhood?

Peter1469
08-21-2016, 02:44 PM
So, We just gonna start insulting the whole forum at once now?

I only had a few in mind. But if my words move you, feel free to expand on it.

Peter1469
08-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Trump is a narcissist. Practically any politician and CEO is.

I also agree that Trump has liberal positions. He has conservative positions. As I have said, that model is being replaced by a new model: the march towards globalism v. nationalism. All of his policies fit squarely not the nationalism camp.

The simplest explanation for Trump is also the most likely:

Trump is a narcissist. Regardless of how successful or unsuccessful (having been in finance for 40 years I believe the former) Trump has been, there is something that has always been more important to him than money: fame and adulation. If you look at his non-real-estate career choices that is self-evident.

I think Trump is essentially a liberal on many issues, and a stone-pragmatist on certain others. The two biggies are, of course, illegal immigration and Muslim Fear. Trump figured out that he could transition into a Republican and use those issues to make a run on the White House. He will almost certainly give the Base those issues, as the political downside for him is manageable. But I predict that many conservative Trump supporters will be bitterly disappointed with a Trump Presidency for his lack of movement in other areas of ideology.

For example, and particularly if he figures out (or perceives) a way for it to make him more famous (and maybe make him money), I predict that Trump will legalize marijuana [Trump brand marijuana cigarettes!] and end the War on Some Drugs.

The problem I have with Trump is the problem I have with all Great Men. Great Men are charismatic men. Great Men are industrious men. Great Men are often honest men. And Great Men may even like dogs and children. But Great Men like to accomplish Great Things. History, awash in forced labor and bloodshed, is mostly a chronicle of Great Men attempting Great Things.

But then again, that's what makes it interesting.

But then again again, it is said that interesting adventure stories always tend to downplay the moments of pure, pants-wetting terror and death.

gamewell45
08-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Roger Ailes.

Good call.