PDA

View Full Version : tPF Trump’s foreign policy critics

Peter1469
08-23-2016, 05:04 AM
Trump’s foreign policy critics (http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2016/08/22/making_sense_of_trump_and_his_national_security_cr itics_112004.html)

This is a long, but interesting article (well interesting to me). Recently a group of 50 GOP "luminaries" signed a letter saying they didn't like Trump's foreign policy ideas. However, the list of names is the Neocon club.

So the Neocons don't think Trump's foreign policy ideas are better than theirs:

They think we should be alerted to the fact that the Republican standard-bearer “lacks the character, values, and experience to be president.”

That’s true of course, but it’s also pretty rich, coming from this bunch. The letter’s signers include, among others, the man who was Condoleezza Rice’s legal advisor when she ran the National Security Council (John Bellinger III); one of George W. Bush’s CIA directors who also ran the National Security Agency (Michael Hayden); a Bush administration ambassador to the United Nations and Iraq (John Negroponte); an architect of the neoconservative policy in the Middle East adopted by the Bush administration that led to the invasion of Iraq, who has since served as president of the World Bank (Robert Zoellick). In short, given the history of the “global war on terror,” this is your basic list of potential American war criminals.

“He Weakens U.S. Moral Authority...”

After its twenty-first century wars, its “black sites,” and Guantánamo, among other developments of the age, it’s hard to imagine a much weaker “moral authority” than what’s presently left to the United States. First, we gave the world eight years of George W. Bush’s illegal invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as CIA torture sites, “enhanced interrogation techniques,” and a program of quite illegal global kidnappings of terror suspects (some of whom proved innocent of anything). Under President Obama, it seems we’ve traded enhanced interrogation techniques for an “enhanced” use of assassination by drone (again outside any “law” of war, other than the legal documents that the Justice Department has produced to justify such acts).

Two of the letter signers who are so concerned about Trump’s effect on U.S. moral authority themselves played special roles in "weakening" U.S. moral authority through their involvement with the CIA torture program: John Bellinger III and Michael Hayden.

“He Appears to Lack Basic Knowledge About and Belief in the U.S. Constitution, U.S. Laws, and U.S. Institutions...”

That’s the next line of the open letter, and it’s certainly a fair assessment of Donald Trump. But it’s more than a little ironic that it was signed by Michael Hayden who, in addition to supporting CIA’s torture project, oversaw the National Security Agency’s post-9/11 secret surveillance program. Under that program, the government recorded the phone, text, and Internet communications of an unknown number of people inside and outside of the United States -- all without warrants.

Perhaps Hayden believes in the Constitution, but at best it’s a selective belief. There’s that pesky 4th Amendment, for example, which guarantees that

There is more. Basically, what the Necons accuse Trump of they have done in fact.

Also Trump's core beliefs on foreign policy are from the Realist school. Neocons hate those guys.

FindersKeepers
08-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Hillary is a bigger neocon than is Trump. It's only natural that group would favor her foreign policies.

Peter1469
08-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Hillary is a bigger neocon than is Trump. It's only natural that group would favor her foreign policies.

Trump is far from being a neocon. That is the largest GOP group on the Never Trump bandwagon.
Hillary is a liberal hawk. Very close to neocons. I said in the beginning that the Neocons would vote Hillary over Trump.

del
08-23-2016, 03:54 PM
trump has no core beliefs.

Cigar
08-23-2016, 03:56 PM
... and to think, he was a Democrat just a few years ago. :laugh:

The Xl
08-23-2016, 03:56 PM
For all his faults, Trump is significantly superior to Clinton on foreign policy.

Peter1469
08-23-2016, 03:59 PM
trump has no core beliefs.

Bill Clinton certainly had no core beliefs. That is why he was successful in domestic policy. He won by stealing GOP issues.

Jimmy Carter said that about Trump as well- and said that is why he preferred Trump to the other GOP candidates.

AZ Jim
08-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Bill Clinton certainly had no core beliefs. That is why he was successful in domestic policy. He won by stealing GOP issues.

Jimmy Cater said that about Trump as well- and said that is why he preferred Trump to the other GOP candidates.Who is Jimmy Cater?

Peter1469
08-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Who is Jimmy Cater?

You tell me.

Beevee
08-23-2016, 04:51 PM
For all his faults, Trump is significantly superior to Clinton on foreign policy.

Indeed he is!

'I will build a wall and Mexico will pay for it'. If he says it, it must be true.

'All countries in NATO must pay up' If he says it, of course they will.

'Crimea? I know all about crimea. We have to put a stop to it and send all the illegal criminals back to Mexico'

Peter1469
08-23-2016, 04:58 PM
lol

lol

MisterVeritis
08-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Indeed he is!

'I will build a wall and Mexico will pay for it'. If he says it, it must be true.

'All countries in NATO must pay up' If he says it, of course they will.

'Crimea? I know all about crimea. We have to put a stop to it and send all the illegal criminals back to Mexico'
Crimea? I admit I laughed. Now it is time for some homemade wine.