PDA

View Full Version : Omlette Video

Conley
09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Mmm

Jacques Pepin omelette omelet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57afEWn-QDg#)

I wonder what kind of pan that is? Looks great but it's not cast iron looking at the bottom...not nonstick either because he scrapes the heck out of it with a fork.

Mister D
09-25-2011, 04:23 PM
I need a better pan before I even attempt this.

Conley
09-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Me too. Apparently that is an anodized aluminium pan he is using. I'm researching them now. I think I'd like a cast iron skillet but those supposedly take minimum five, realistically ten years to properly break in :-\

Mister D
09-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Me too. Apparently that is an anodized aluminium pan he is using. I'm researching them now. I think I'd like a cast iron skillet but those supposedly take minimum five, realistically ten years to properly break in :-\

They take a while to heat up too. I thin there is only one company that makes them. Anyway, that's nice to have and they last forever. You could pass that on to Conley Jr. and he'll have it to pass on to his chillun. I need to buy a new pan too. Let me know what you come up with.

Conley
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM

They take a while to heat up too. I thin there is only one company that makes them. Anyway, that's nice to have and they last forever. You could pass that on to Conley Jr. and he'll have it to pass on to his chillun. I need to buy a new pan too. Let me know what you come up with.

My girl gave me an All Clad wok which I like but I think they're overpriced. That's the only nice piece of cookware I have I think. I need a good amount of oil in it too to prevent sticking, and it is scratched too. I think maybe the obsession with not sticking is a little irrational. For me it all comes down to cleaning. I love cooking but I hate hate hate cleaning up and scrubbing scrambled egg off a pan is not my idea of a good time. All this reading about pans has made me think about using the wok tonight to fry up some frozen potstickers.

Mister D
09-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm not a big fan of cleaning up either but I'm also a little obsessive about cleaning my pots and utensils. It's gross when I find remnants, no matter how minute, of a prior meal on my plate. My roommate loves his cheesy sauces but he has a bad habit of letting things dry before he cleans them. It's hard to get of when you do that. I clean everything right after cooking and eating.

Conley
09-25-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm not a big fan of cleaning up either but I'm also a little obsessive about cleaning my pots and utensils. It's gross when I find remnants, no matter how minute, of a prior meal on my plate. My roommate loves his cheesy sauces but he has a bad habit of letting things dry before he cleans them. It's hard to get of when you do that. I clean everything right after cooking and eating.

Yeah, melted cheese that hardens is the worst. Need a scouring pad for that.

I agree about the cleaning, I need it all clean, which is why I do the dishes and not the OL since she is not as particular about that stuff.

Mister D
09-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Yeah, melted cheese that hardens is the worst. Need a scouring pad for that.

I agree about the cleaning, I need it all clean, which is why I do the dishes and not the OL since she is not as particular about that stuff.

Egg yolk is a pain in the a$$ too when it dries.

It's nice too to have it done and over with. No pile of plates in the sink.

Conley
09-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Yup, eggs and cheese. Cleaning up is a big reason why I don't eat much of either.

Mister D
09-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Yup, eggs and cheese. Cleaning up is a big reason why I don't eat much of either.

I rarely have a problem with eggs and that's probably because I clean the pan right after I cook them. Right after I place the eggs on the plate the pan is in the sink.

Conley
09-25-2011, 06:30 PM

I rarely have a problem with eggs and that's probably because I clean the pan right after I cook them. Right after I place the eggs on the plate the pan is in the sink.

Another problem for me is that I can put the pan in the sink but it has to be at an angle, I can't just lie it flat down on the bottom. I have one of those double sinks when I think I would prefer just one giant one.

Mister D
09-25-2011, 07:02 PM

Another problem for me is that I can put the pan in the sink but it has to be at an angle, I can't just lie it flat down on the bottom. I have one of those double sinks when I think I would prefer just one giant one.

My parents' sink is like that. When I got the kitchen renovated I asked for a wide and deep sink. I have the faucet that you can pull out like a hose so I have no problems now with pans being on an angle. Honestly, when I do buy my new pans I'll be particularly interested in small sauce pans. The one I have now is enormous and while it fits in the sink it causes issues on the stove. A small pan perhaps 8") would be ideal. I see the infomercials with the new non-sticks. They don;t have that black coating some new stuff that is supposed to last for many years. I may move on this soon. I cook a lot so it's worth it for me.

Conley
09-25-2011, 07:22 PM

My parents' sink is like that. When I got the kitchen renovated I asked for a wide and deep sink. I have the faucet that you can pull out like a hose so I have no problems now with pans being on an angle. Honestly, when I do buy my new pans I'll be particularly interested in small sauce pans. The one I have now is enormous and while it fits in the sink it causes issues on the stove. A small pan perhaps 8") would be ideal. I see the infomercials with the new non-sticks. They don;t have that black coating some new stuff that is supposed to last for many years. I may move on this soon. I cook a lot so it's worth it for me.

I have the hose thing too but I guess I would like to soak it. I can't have anything that's not supposed to get scratched because invariably it will end up that way.

Yeah cooking for one or two there's no reason for these giant pans. I have a great stove top gas with iron burners that works great, so I'm thankful for that.

Mister D
09-25-2011, 07:47 PM

I have the hose thing too but I guess I would like to soak it. I can't have anything that's not supposed to get scratched because invariably it will end up that way.

Yeah cooking for one or two there's no reason for these giant pans. I have a great stove top gas with iron burners that works great, so I'm thankful for that.

Yeah, I hear you. It's hard not to scratch that stuff.

Iron burners must be nice. I'm not sure what mine are made out of but it's definitely not iron. I got a black stove and fridge though. No more white anymore. It's so much easier to keep black appliances clean or at least you won;t notice trivial amounts of grime like you would on something white.

MMC
09-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Dupont teflon.....one minute is made with the pans and its the rage in cooking. Now how many years later and we dsicover the teflon comes off. Gets scraped up and flakes off. My step son is working on owning his own restaurant. Currently he is taking Chef Classes. Already he has bought certain pans and utensils and refuses to cook food in some of his mother's Pans.

MMC
09-26-2011, 06:28 AM
My step-son bought himself a special pan.....the pan also changes color to show you the temperature. He can cook some omelettes.

Also Most Chefs use Wooden Spoons and spatulas. This way their pans are not scraped up and scratched. ;)

MMC
09-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Now that he is cooking the food.....I don't get anything burned. ;D

MMC
09-26-2011, 07:38 AM
I figure for Xmas i was going to get him a bunch of Wooden utensils. Blus some bowls for sauces.

Mister D
09-26-2011, 07:40 AM
I figure for Xmas i was going to get him a bunch of Wooden utensils. Blus some bowls for sauces.

You mean CHRISTmas?

Conley
09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
My step-son bought himself a special pan.....the pan also changes color to show you the temperature. He can cook some omelettes.

Also Most Chefs use Wooden Spoons and spatulas. This way their pans are not scraped up and scratched. ;)

A lot of chefs use metal too...check the video ;)

I hope your son isn't paying too much for those cooking classes, some of those places are real rackets. Glad you are getting to eat the benefits though. :D

Mister D
09-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I know several people who have gone to culinary school. It's a good skill to have but it's hard to make a living especially during your first few years out of school. If I had the capitol I would seriously consider openign a deli or something like that.

Conley
09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
I know several people who have gone to culinary school. It's a good skill to have but it's hard to make a living especially during your first few years out of school. If I had the capitol I would seriously consider openign a deli or something like that.

It is so much work...cooks don't make much money at all and running a restaurant is even harder. Granted I don't have personal experience but everything I've read suggests that. Food costs have really skyrocketed the last few years as well. And with all the franchises around here it's even harder for the little guy. We've got Submarina, Quiznos, Subway and who knows what else. I have thought there is a place for specialty foods...for example a good NY style deli here would probably clean up if you could get it right.

Mister D
09-26-2011, 10:04 AM

It is so much work...cooks don't make much money at all and running a restaurant is even harder. Granted I don't have personal experience but everything I've read suggests that. Food costs have really skyrocketed the last few years as well. And with all the franchises around here it's even harder for the little guy. We've got Submarina, Quiznos, Subway and who knows what else. I have thought there is a place for specialty foods...for example a good NY style deli here would probably clean up if you could get it right.

Definitely long hours until you establish yourself but obviously there is no guarantee that will happen. I have a lot of respect for the guys who give it a real try. Some people are just morons about it though. Regarding Subnay et al, I honestly don't understand why anyone would eat there but that's just me. They do a good business, apparently, which is a mystery to me because their bread and their meat both suck. ??? Anyway, like I said, if I had the capital I would seriously consider ir. Nothing fancy. Just good food.

Conley
09-26-2011, 10:12 AM

Definitely long hours until you establish yourself but obviously there is no guarantee that will happen. I have a lot of respect for the guys who give it a real try. Some people are just morons about it though. Regarding Subnay et al, I honestly don't understand why anyone would eat there but that's just me. They do a good business, apparently, which is a mystery to me because their bread and their meat both suck. ??? Anyway, like I said, if I had the capital I would seriously consider ir. Nothing fancy. Just good food.

Yep, see that is the thing though also, you or I don't understand why people would choose that place, or McDonalds for example, but people do and those are your potential customers. If it's a specialty place that just caters to people who like a nicer experience with better food it may or may not be a success. I think a lot of market research is needed too (even for a small place). Have you ever watched the Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares show? The original version (UK) on BBC America is pretty interesting. The Fox / US version is mostly just him yelling.

Mister D
09-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Yep, see that is the thing though also, you or I don't understand why people would choose that place, or McDonalds for example, but people do and those are your potential customers. If it's a specialty place that just caters to people who like a nicer experience with better food it may or may not be a success. I think a lot of market research is needed too (even for a small place). Have you ever watched the Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares show? The original version (UK) on BBC America is pretty interesting. The Fox / US version is mostly just him yelling.

I know what you're referring to but I don't think I've ever watched it. I agree that you must do your homework. That's probably why a lot of these guys fail. They open wherever not realizing that location is a big part of your potential success. For example, I probably wouldn't bother trying to make it in the town I used to live in. Way too much competition. I see these guys open a pizzaria or something like that and I'm thinking, "are you nuts?" ::) There are already 4 pizza places in that town. There is a lot of money in my area so that might have something to do with it. BTW, not much of that money is mine. :D :'( I guess they think since there is a lot of money to be spent...I don't know. They often fail. You have to do your research.

Speaking of capital, yeah, a franchise would be cool. I don't often see them fail around here.