PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina kills millions of bees going after Zika mosquitos

Peter1469
09-02-2016, 03:25 PM
South Carolina kills millions of bees going after Zika mosquitos (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/09/01/like-its-been-nuked-millions-of-bees-dead-after-south-carolina-sprays-for-zika-mosquitoes/)

Oops. Unintended consequences again....

On Sunday morning, the South Carolina honey bees began to die in massive numbers.

Death came suddenly to Dorchester County, S.C. Stressed insects tried to flee their nests, only to surrender in little clumps at hive entrances. The dead worker bees littering the farms suggested that colony collapse disorder (https://www.epa.gov/pollinator-protection/colony-collapse-disorder) was not the culprit — in that odd phenomenon, workers vanish as though raptured, leaving a living queen and young bees behind.

Instead, the dead heaps signaled the killer was less mysterious, but no less devastating. The pattern matched acute pesticide poisoning. By one estimate, at a single apiary — Flowertown Bee Farm and Supply, in Summerville — 46 hives died (https://www.facebook.com/kristina.litzenberger12/posts/1283357725010019?pnref=story) on the spot, totaling about 2.5 million bees.

Walking through the farm, one Summerville woman wrote on Facebook, was “like visiting a cemetery (https://www.facebook.com/kristina.litzenberger12/posts/1283357725010019?pnref=story), pure sadness.”

Captain Obvious
09-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Where is Kurmugeon lately?

Mini Me
09-02-2016, 09:42 PM
This boggles the mind, it is so senseless!

donttread
09-03-2016, 06:57 AM
South Carolina kills millions of bees going after Zika mosquitos (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/09/01/like-its-been-nuked-millions-of-bees-dead-after-south-carolina-sprays-for-zika-mosquitoes/)

Fucking morons.

Peter1469
09-03-2016, 07:37 AM
The Alternative Health crowd has said the problems linked to the Zika virus are not linked to the Zika virus at all, but rather these chemicals used to zap the mosquitos. The mainstream "media" is just getting around to "reporting" on it.

Just AnotherPerson
09-03-2016, 08:59 AM
They said it killed those bees within seconds. This is an atrocity. Like they aren't killing us already by just killing the bees, dumb shortsighted people. But anyways if it kills the bees within one or two second it cannot be healthy for us to breather either we are all biological beings. If it killed them that fast, I wouldn't want to be breathing that.

What a shame.

Just AnotherPerson
09-03-2016, 09:03 AM
The Alternative Health crowd has said the problems linked to the Zika virus are not linked to the Zika virus at all, but rather these chemicals used to zap the mosquitos. The mainstream "media" is just getting around to "reporting" on it.

Exactly! When I see them spraying for Zika I am in a state of horrified shock. It is like they are gas chambering us. And they try to make us sound crazy, check out this show how they were trying to make conspiracy theorists sound crazy and belittling people with intelligence if you don't want to be gassed by deadly chemicals you must be crazy......

It is like the mosquitos are just the excuse they are giving to gas us. WTH

http://www.startalkradio.net/show/confronting-zika-viruses-bill-nye-laurie-garrett-startalk-stars/

Bo-4
09-03-2016, 09:45 AM
That's sad news ... inept morons.

Good luck with your crops!

Peter1469
09-03-2016, 09:45 AM
They said it killed those bees within seconds. This is an atrocity. Like they aren't killing us already by just killing the bees, dumb shortsighted people. But anyways if it kills the bees within one or two second it cannot be healthy for us to breather either we are all biological beings. If it killed them that fast, I wouldn't want to be breathing that.

What a shame.

And without pollinators our agricultural system collapses. The vegans will be upset.

Just AnotherPerson
09-03-2016, 09:59 AM
And without pollinators our agricultural system collapses. The vegans will be upset.

Exactly! That is what I mean when I said by killing the bees they are killing us too. Even the animals that the meat eaters eat will not do well without the bees, because our meat animals are vegans.

Here is a link to BP Earth watch he talks a lot and has been since way back at the beginning. I will leave a link because what he says on Zika is really good. But I do not watch many of his shows because he goes off on religion. But when he is not doing that he makes a lot of sense. This is vid one of two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBVnu6UWr0Y

donttread
09-03-2016, 03:57 PM

That could be true. I'm all for eradicaing the mosquiit but they have to use they heads. I mean they can say a kill on contact insectiside is "safe for humans" but I have my doubts

Tahuyaman
09-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Well, not too long ago the big government worshippers were screaming that something must be done to protect us all from the Zika virus.

Peter1469
09-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Well the good thing is that bees breed better than rabbits. A few bee keepers can gets some queen bees and restock the bee population rather fast. So long as we don't poison them.

donttread
09-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Well, not too long ago the big government worshippers were screaming that something must be done to protect us all from the Zika virus.

Well even I'm not against government protecting citizens in situations like this. The thing is I'm not at all certain that Zika isn't tremendously over blown. Remember "West Nile "? When's the last time there was much worry about that? Because for most healthy people it's no big deal . This birth defect thing is scary as hell, but there may be other factors. Also, I'm finding the cautioned transission to the fetus by dad highly questionable.

Tahuyaman
09-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Well even I'm not against government protecting citizens in situations like this. The thing is I'm not at all certain that Zika isn't tremendously over blown. Remember "West Nile "? When's the last time there was much worry about that? Because for most healthy people it's no big deal . This birth defect thing is scary as hell, but there may be other factors. Also, I'm finding the cautioned transission to the fetus by dad highly questionable.

I'm with you on this one.

Government often tries to create a crisis where none exists in order to justify seizing more power.

waltky
09-29-2017, 04:41 AM
Same could happen with the bird flu...
http://www.newsforum.com/images/smilies/eek.gif
Once harmless, the Zika virus became lethal after a single genetic mutation took hold around 2013
Sept. 28,`17 - When the Zika virus was first isolated from a Ugandan forest monkey in 1947 and found in mildly ill humans a few years later, it was hardly worth a mention in the annals of human disease. What a difference a mutation can make.

In a new round of genetic sleuthing, Chinese researchers have pinpointed the single genetic change that has made the Zika virus a fearsome plague to pregnant women and their babies across the Americas, responsible for thousands of cases of microcephaly and other grievous brain abnormalities that sometimes result in death. The Chinese researchers also came close to pinpointing the time at which the Zika virus graduated from unwelcome pest status to an international scourge. That change, they surmised, occurred around May 2013, a few months before the start of a two-year outbreak in French Polynesia and three other Pacific islands. By March 2015, the Zika virus had arrived in Brazil and was circulating widely there. As of last week, it had caused microcephaly and other grievous brain abnormalities in at least 3,589 babies born to women infected during pregnancy, including 2,952 in Brazil. The findings were reported Thursday in the journal Science.

As Zika hopscotched across the world, borne by soccer players and other world travelers, its genetic blueprint — RNA — underwent a number of changes. The new research underscores how that entirely normal process of genetic “drift” can, at any moment, change the trajectory of human history. Genetic mutations picked up along its journey can disarm a virus as a threat to humans. Or, they can equip it with virulent new powers to sicken. Often, these mutations do nothing at all. The recorded history of the Zika virus posed a mystery for modern-day public health researchers and officials. Upon entering a human body, had the long-unheralded flavivirus always had the power to attack any developing brain tissue inside its human host and wreak a special kind of havoc? Had that destructive power simply not been picked up because previous outbreaks were too small, or included too few pregnant women?

http://www.trbimg.com/img-59c897dd/turbine/la-1506318297-ol88qks3jf-snap-image/750/750x422
A physical therapist treats a Brazilian child who has microcephaly as a result of the Zika virus. A new study shows that a single mutation in the genome of the virus transformed the once-harmless Zika into a lethal public health threat.

Or had the Zika virus acquired an ominous mutation before hitting the Americas? To find out, researchers from the Chinese Academy of Sciences tested a collection of Zika virus samples taken over time to see how their genetic structure had changed. Comparing strains harvested in 2015 with one collected in Cambodia in 2010, they identified seven sites where the virus’s RNA had changed. Each change altered Zika’s surface protein by just one feature — a single amino acid. Team members created cloned cells bearing each of those genetic alterations and used the resulting strains to infect fetal and newborn mice. The researchers suspected they had their culprit when a cloned Zika strain bearing a mutation at position S139N of the virus’s RNA caused “strikingly” greater destruction in the brain cells of newborn mice, whose neural development mimics that of human babies during the second trimester.

Then they infected human neural progenitor cells — the forerunners of mature human brain cells — with the Zika strain bearing that single mutation. Compared to the 2010 Zika strain, the mutated version grew and multiplied more prolifically, becoming a ruthless killer of brain cells. The researchers had found their mutation. “The fact that this change in behavior can be almost wholly attributed to a single amino acid change in one of the virus’ surface proteins is remarkable,” said Jonathan Ball, a molecular virologist at the University of Nottingham who has probed genetic shifts in the Ebola virus. “This data, as well as evidence from other viruses like Ebola, shows us that the smallest of genetic changes can have a major impact on virus behavior,” Ball added. The Zika virus’s penchant for attacking developing brain tissue has come into increasing focus in recent research.

Earlier this month, a team of U.S. researchers publishing in the Journal of Experimental Medicine found that Zika may spare normal adult brain tissue, even as it seeks and destroys the primitive cells which, in a fetus, give rise to the brain’s diversity of cells. The U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases has supported much of the research that has characterized the Zika virus, though not the genetic research out this week. NIAID’s director, Dr. Anthony Fauci, called the new report a “very elegant molecular study.” The findings from China underscore the importance of tracking not just a virus’s journey across a human landscape, but also the molecular changes it undergoes along the way, he said. “This adds insight into our understanding of the world of viruses,” Fauci said.

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-zika-mutation-microcephaly-20170928-story.html

Grokmaster
09-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Man...that is rough...geez.

AZ Jim
09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
When we don't see flowers or pick fruit you can remember the stupid asses who kill all the pollinators.

resister
09-29-2017, 03:16 PM
On my bike the other night, a spray truck drove by, I held my breath and my shirt over mouth and nose!

leekohler2
09-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Umm...wow. This is just stupid.