PDA

View Full Version : tPF Gerrymandering

OGIS
09-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Both sides do it, but it appears that the Repuiblicans have mastered the art. A fun interactive read on the subject:

Can You Solve Slate’s Gerrymandering Jigsaw Puzzle?

Put the ridiculously gerrymandered congressional districts back together.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2013/08/gerrymandering_jigsaw_puzzle_game_put_the_congress ional_districts_back_together.html

What are your best times with all six puzzles?

tPF thread. The subject is Gerrymandering. Off topic and ad hom posters will be sent to bed without supper. There may or may not be warnings.

Peter1469
09-04-2016, 12:26 PM
The system was made to allow the party in power to gerrymander. It would be better to set uniform districts in states without the deliberate attempt to craft a majority.

OGIS
09-04-2016, 12:43 PM
The system was made to allow the party in power to gerrymander. It would be better to set uniform districts in states without the deliberate attempt to craft a majority.

What gets me is that the Reps are constantly whining about how the Dems are "stealing elections" and yet the majority of gerrymandering seems to be done (at least these days) by Republicans. Highly undemocratic.

Peter1469
09-04-2016, 12:46 PM
What gets me is that the Reps are constantly whining about how the Dems are "stealing elections" and yet the majority of gerrymandering seems to be done (at least these days) by Republicans. Highly undemocratic.

Yet the Dems commit voter fraud en masse. At least a couple of voting districts reported 100% votes for Obama to include a total more than the registered voters in the district. :shocked:

exploited
09-04-2016, 12:48 PM
The US needs an independently-run, bipartisan federal election commission. It would have to be empowered by Constitutional Amendment. It should establish common standards for all elections held in the United States, including: (1) issuing tax-payer funded voter identification cards, (2) standardizing ballot design to reflect best practices, (3) designing computer algorithms to determine political districts in a relatively impartial manner, (4) removing or fixing electronic voting machines, (5) establishing a common set of laws regarding political donations, (6) ensuring all polling locations are adequately staffed and managed and (7) working to make voting as easy and painless as possible.

In re: point 3, I'm thinking something like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/06/03/this-computer-programmer-solved-gerrymandering-in-his-spare-time/

Yesterday, I asked readers how they felt about setting up independent commissions to handle redistricting in each state. Commenter Mitch Beales wrote: "It seems to me that an 'independent panel' is about as likely as politicians redistricting themselves out of office. This is the twenty-first century. How hard can it be to create an algorithm to draw legislative districts after each census?" Reader "BobMunck" agreed: "Why do people need to be involved in mapping the districts?"

They're right. These programs and algorithms already exist. Brian Olson is a software engineer in Massachusetts who wrote a program to draw "optimally compact" equal-population congressional districts in each state, based on 2010 census data. Olson's algorithm draws districts that respect the boundaries of census blocks, which are the smallest geographic units used by the Census Bureau. This ensures that the district boundaries reflect actual neighborhoods and don't, say, cut an arbitrary line through somebody's house.

Peter1469
09-04-2016, 01:44 PM
The democrats would be against the ID cards because they believe minorities are too stupid to figure out how to get one.

Peter1469
09-04-2016, 01:52 PM
LOL, wasn't that when the derposphere decided that a two page ballot counted twice? As in 5,000 registered voters but over 9,000 ballots?

I would like to see the evidence for this "voter fraud." Isolated cases don't count.

Blackboxvoting dot org

Posted direct links in the past.

OGIS
09-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Yet the Dems commit voter fraud en masse. At least a couple of voting districts reported 100% votes for Obama to include a total more than the registered voters in the district. :shocked:

Off topic threadjack. First and last warning Peter.

OGIS
09-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Blackboxvoting dot org

Posted direct links in the past.

PM them to me.

And either get back on topic or cease posting.

Peter1469
09-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Off topic threadjack. First and last warning Peter.

Stop abusing the tPF feature. One member to another.

Peter1469
09-04-2016, 01:56 PM
PM them to me.

And either get back on topic or cease posting.

Watch your mouth.

Peter1469
09-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Notice: thread closed for now.