PDA

View Full Version : Stein at 10% in Vermont!

IMPress Polly
09-07-2016, 02:47 PM
According to a newly-released Washington Post/Survey Monkey poll of all 50 stated (the largest of its kind to date), Jill Stein of the Green Party has now reached double-digits here in Vermont, which makes this her best state (http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/politics/washington-post-surveymonkey-50-state-poll/2086/). That puts her just one point behind Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson here. That's up just a little from her 0.2% share of the state's vote in 2012, for perspective! :wink:

For those worried that such a large vote for Stein risks ceding my state's electoral votes to Donald Trump, duly note that the same survey finds Trump polling at just 24% in Vermont in such a four-way race -- which is really poor for a major party candidate with loads of corporate backing -- and that Clinton is still defeating him by a margin of more than 20 points. Trump never had a chance here. In fact, the same poll also finds that Vermont is the only state in which white working class people without a college degree favor Clinton over Trump overall. That's the principal Trump demographic nationwide, which means that he doesn't have a demographic here in this state. We are simply not that kind of state.

AZ Jim
09-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Trump is running on the ego party. He's on a trophy hunt, nothing more noble.

gamewell45
09-07-2016, 02:56 PM
According to a newly-released Washington Post/Survey Monkey poll of all 50 stated (the largest of its kind to date), Jill Stein of the Green Party has now reached double-digits here in Vermont, which makes this her best state (http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/politics/washington-post-surveymonkey-50-state-poll/2086/). That puts her just one point behind Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson here. That's up just a little from her 0.2% share of the state's vote in 2012, for perspective! :wink:

For those worried that such a large vote for Stein risks ceding my state's electoral votes to Donald Trump, duly note that the same survey finds Trump polling at just 24% in Vermont in such a four-way race -- which is really poor for a major party candidate with loads of corporate backing -- and that Clinton is still defeating him by a margin of more than 20 points. Trump never had a chance here. In fact, the same poll also finds that Vermont is the only state in which white working class people without a college degree favor Clinton over Trump overall. That's the principal Trump demographic nationwide, which means that he doesn't have a demographic here in this state. We are simply not that kind of state.

Most impressive. Vermont has always been a state with progressive thinkers if you will. It's nice they don't march in lockstep with any single political party.

Btw, beautiful state you live in; it's close enough to where I live where I go for breakfast in Bennington on occasion and the ski resorts are second to none. Hope to live there some day.

bajisima
09-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I would think she would be doing better actually. Here in NH too. People were pretty pissed at Sanders rally in Lebanon, NH the other day and kept interrupting with "Jill, not Hill." He got rooked royally. He knows it too, you can see it in his face.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/06/bernie-sanders-tells-skeptical-voters-to-stick-with-clinton-over-a-third-party/

Tahuyaman
09-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Stein at 10% in Vermont!
I have no problem believing that. After all, Vermont is a very small and very liberal state.

Tahuyaman
09-07-2016, 03:54 PM
.... It's nice they don't march in lockstep with any single political party....

10% isn't all that impressive and the Democratic Party dominates there. They essentially do march in Lock step with the Democrats.

AZ Jim
09-07-2016, 05:08 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/warrant-out-for-green-party-candidate-jill-steins-arrest-in-north-dakota/

Subdermal
09-07-2016, 05:41 PM
She can only get 10% of the nuts in a State chock full 'o nuts?

:facepalm:

Bo-4
09-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Here's what needs to happen.

Johnson is obviously polling ahead of Stein (i prefer her actually but not gonna happen).

He should dump Weld and go with Jill.

That would TOTALLY ensure the 15% needed to make debates!!

IMPress Polly
09-08-2016, 05:21 AM
gamewell wrote:
Most impressive. Vermont has always been a state with progressive thinkers if you will. It's nice they don't march in lockstep with any single political party.

Btw, beautiful state you live in; it's close enough to where I live where I go for breakfast in Bennington on occasion and the ski resorts are second to none. Hope to live there some day.

Well let me know if you ever make your way to Burlington. :smiley:

I like Vermont. I'm kinda proud of my state. A lot more so than I am of my country writ large anyway. Being a small state, we're easily forgotten, so we just like to remind people that we're here. :tongue:

bajisima wrote:
I would think she would be doing better actually. Here in NH too. People were pretty pissed at Sanders rally in Lebanon, NH the other day and kept interrupting with "Jill, not Hill." He got rooked royally. He knows it too, you can see it in his face.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...a-third-party/ (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/09/06/bernie-sanders-tells-skeptical-voters-to-stick-with-clinton-over-a-third-party/)

Well unfortunately, as you may have noticed, rally attendance reflects the views of the activist community, not of the general public. Still, as you can see at the link, Stein fares better across all of New England than she does nationally. Nationally, she's at 4%, but she's at at least 5% in all New England states. In New Hampshire it's 6%.

Tahuyaman wrote:
10% isn't all that impressive and the Democratic Party dominates there. They essentially do march in Lock step with the Democrats.

Not as much as you may think. While Democrats do indeed consistently dominate the state legislature and usually control the governor's office these days, it's worth saying that Vermont is also home to America's most successful third party: my own Vermont Progressive Party, and also that one of our U.S. Senators -- one Bernie Sanders (whom you may have heard of) -- is actually an independent. How do we reconcile these things? Well, 1) the political consensus in Vermont is simply left of the rest of the country, and 2) we have a long history of independent thinking and politics. Third parties and independent candidates have often fared better in Vermont than elsewhere in the country throughout our history. As much probably stems from our foundations: Vermont was founded as an independent nation and remained one for 14 years before joining the United States. Occasionally, there are even secessionist movements here that gain some traction to that end, since we know based on history that we could survive separately from the United States. Late in the George W. Bush administration, for example, a survey found that 13% of Vermonters favored secession.

There's a reason that Vermonters are so keen on highlighting the state where our products come from; why pretty much everything that comes from Vermont is labeled as such on the product. We're a small state and tend to feel forgotten, as such. Therefore, we like to remind people that we're here and that we're not the same as everyone else.

Green Arrow
09-08-2016, 07:48 AM

10% is monumental when you consider how well the third party candidates usually do.

Subdermal
09-08-2016, 08:11 AM
10% is monumental when you consider how well the third party candidates usually do.

A Green candidate garnering 10% in a tree hugging State?

That's hardly monumental. It's pathetic, actually.

Green Arrow
09-08-2016, 08:37 AM
A Green candidate garnering 10% in a tree hugging State?

That's hardly monumental. It's pathetic, actually.

It's monumental if you have any historical perspective. Ralph Nader was the most well-known Green Party candidate in history and the best performing, and he got 7% in Vermont in 2000. The other years before and since, they weren't on the ballot.

Tahuyaman
09-08-2016, 09:26 AM

Third party candidates usually do better better in that part of the country.

Still, Democrats dominate in that region.