PDA

View Full Version : Third Party Candidate Debate

KC
10-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Well, it's a little sad, and at the same time I'm glad they've done it. NPR did a debate on air with Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, the Green and Libertarian candidates this election. If you're interested you can listen or read the transcript below.

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/06/162438686/the-npr-third-party-candidate-debate

Peter1469
10-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Did anyone watch?

KC
10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Did anyone watch?

No they just interviewed them on air. They didn't film it or have a live audience or anything.

KC
10-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Larry King is moderating a debate between Gary Johnson, Virgil Goode, Jill Stein and Rocky Anderson tonight.

http://sammamish.patch.com/articles/larry-king-moderates-third-party-presidential-debate-tuesday-5a16ad99

IMPress Polly
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks KC! I'll have to check it out!

Peter1469
10-23-2012, 05:05 PM
What channel?

KC
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
What channel?

"The debate at the Hilton Chicago is sponsored by the nonprofit Free & Equal Elections (http://freeandequal.org) and will be telecast on the CSPAN channel, Al Jazeera and LINK TV and streamed at www.freeandequal.org/live (http://freeandequal.org/updates/248/www.freeandequal.org/live) and cspan.org (http://cspan.org), according to Free and Equal."
That's a good question. I don't have television so I just look for online streams anyhow.

Peter1469
10-23-2012, 07:30 PM
I will try to pick it up on CSPAN.

KC
10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Watching this right now. Larry is painfully bad at moderating :f_doh:

However I gotta say I really like Virgil Goode more than I thought I would. Of course I still like Johnson best, but I think Goode is killing it.

IMPress Polly
10-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Am I the only person who thinks that, since these third party debates happen anyway, that they should happen in a more official capacity like the regular presidential debates? That way people would get a better chance to see the alternatives to what the main two parties are offering. Would that not be better for our democracy?

patrickt
10-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Roseanne Barr? Where do you draw the line or do you? How about the CPA and the Prohibitionist Party? Maybe it can be like cage fighting where thirty men walk in and one walks out? I realize the Gary Johnson fans and the Ross Perot fans and the Ralph Nader fans are pissed but they're always pissed. It's in their nature.

I still wonder if the Democrats paid Ross Perot to run. He did get a lot of government contracts after he put President Clinton in the White House.

KC
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Am I the only person who thinks that, since these third party debates happen anyway, that they should happen in a more official capacity like the regular presidential debates? That way people would get a better chance to see the alternatives to what the main two parties are offering. Would that not be better for our democracy?

Of course they ought to, but the main stream media sees no merit in that. Or in Democracy in general, I suspect.

KC
10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Roseanne Barr? Where do you draw the line or do you? How about the CPA and the Prohibitionist Party? Maybe it can be like cage fighting where thirty men walk in and one walks out? I realize the Gary Johnson fans and the Ross Perot fans and the Ralph Nader fans are pissed but they're always pissed. It's in their nature.

I still wonder if the Democrats paid Ross Perot to run. He did get a lot of government contracts after he put President Clinton in the White House.

Roseanne Barr wasn't present at this debate....

And Gary Johnson fans should be pissed off. As long as all but the two major parties are excluded from the official debates then we aren't really giving people a choice, just the illusion of it. This is especially true now that both parties continue to trample our civil liberties, the Constitution of these United States and be completely subservient to special interests, not the people or the Constitution which they swear to uphold.

IMPress Polly
10-24-2012, 02:12 PM
patrickt wrote:
Where do you draw the line or do you?

Let's say the top five contenders in any given cycle. These days that typically means the candidates from the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, the Green Party, the Libertarian Party, and the Constitution Party.

patrickt
10-24-2012, 02:22 PM
A. How do you establish the top five? Everyone seems to think their candidate and their issues are all important.
B. How do you stop the whining from numbers six through 22? In my state we only have ten Presidential candidates on the ballot.

If I had my druthers, I'd do away with voting for President. I would take most of the royal powers away from the President, such as going to war with no approval, and let the minority party in the House select a president whenever they wanted. But, if we're going to vote for President I'd like a "None of the Above" on the ballot. If "None of the Above" won then the minority party in the House would appoint a President, who couldn't run for the office, until a second election could be held.

KC
10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
A. How do you establish the top five? Everyone seems to think their candidate and their issues are all important.
B. How do you stop the whining from numbers six through 22? In my state we only have ten Presidential candidates on the ballot.

If I had my druthers, I'd do away with voting for President. I would take most of the royal powers away from the President, such as going to war with no approval, and let the minority party in the House select a president whenever they wanted. But, if we're going to vote for President I'd like a "None of the Above" on the ballot. If "None of the Above" won then the minority party in the House would appoint a President, who couldn't run for the office, until a second election could be held.

I think any candidate who is able to raise money and get on the ballot in at least 20 states belongs in the debate.

KC
10-24-2012, 04:06 PM

If you want the Head of Government/State appointed by the legislature rather than put to a vote by the people, you may be a Parliamentarian.

I am.

Deadwood
10-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Nope. In Canada we have five party debates and they work pretty well.

The question, though, is how do you determine who gets in?

If you open it up entirely, shit, imagine the nut bars who would pay the $ to get on enough ballots...

So, where do you draw the line?