To the tune of "Blowing in the wind" and sung to all donekphant supporters

"How many times must a government lie before you'll stop beliving their shit?"
" The answer my friend is blowing in the wind inside your empty head"

FindersKeepers
09-22-2016, 07:06 AM

"How many times must a government lie before you'll stop beliving their $#@!?"

The rhythm of those lyrics doesn't match the tune.

The sentiment, however, is apropos.

nathanbforrest45
09-22-2016, 07:38 AM
This reminds me of my friend Downs. Downs wanted to be a "NAN, a Master Oriental Chef. He told me once that his last hurdle was being able to cook a roast in a wok. So, I asked him "How many roast must a man wok Downs before you can call him a NAN"?

Common Sense
09-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Why don't we just let Bob handle the lyrics...

Chris
09-22-2016, 08:49 AM

How many times must the politicians lie
Before they're run out of town
How many times must the government fail
Before it's forever banned
Yes and how many times the people blame them
Before we see we're the one
The answer....

Closer to the rhythm and near rhymes.

Captain Obvious
09-22-2016, 11:23 AM
The ants are my friends...

Chris
09-22-2016, 11:27 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBf0k7W042M

nathanbforrest45
09-22-2016, 11:29 AM

and a bowing in the springs

Bethere
09-23-2016, 04:42 AM

Really? Dylan is a Democrat. His putting this jive in Dylan's mouth is dishonest and totally inappropriate.

FindersKeepers
09-23-2016, 05:16 AM
Really? Dylan is a Democrat. His putting this jive in Dylan's mouth is dishonest and totally inappropriate.

I don't even know where to start to respond to this comment.

The "sentiment" is completely separate from Dylan's original lyrical intent. The tune was a backdrop only. No one cares that Dylan is a democrat and no one was trying to put "jive" in his mouth.

So much goes over your head.

Bethere
09-23-2016, 05:29 AM

The "sentiment" is completely separate from Dylan's original lyrical intent. The tune was a backdrop only. No one cares that Dylan is a democrat and no one was trying to put "jive" in his mouth.

I am a musician. That is Dylan's work. It didn't write itself.

Using him as a puppet and making him say stupid stuff that he would never dream of saying is hardly apropos.

Mac-7
09-23-2016, 05:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBf0k7W042M

Sorry Chris

I hope she isnt related to you in some way but shes a lousy singer.

this is how the song should be performed:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6fAO4idaI

Ravens Fan
09-23-2016, 05:55 AM

Using him as a puppet and making him say stupid stuff that he would never dream of saying is hardly apropos.

People do it all the time. Never heard of Weird Al Yankovich?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FindersKeepers
09-23-2016, 06:04 AM

Incredible. :rollseyes:

Simply incredible.

donttread
09-23-2016, 07:13 AM

Yeah, I know, ( the second line doesn't fit) but then again if I was that good at writing music I would be spending my time with groupies not hanging out here on this nessage board with you fellas. LOL

donttread
09-23-2016, 07:14 AM
this reminds me of my friend downs. Downs wanted to be a "nan, a master oriental chef. He told me once that his last hurdle was being able to cook a roast in a wok. So, i asked him "how many roast must a man wok downs before you can call him a nan"?

rofl

donttread
09-23-2016, 07:16 AM
How many times must the politicians lie
Before they're run out of town
How many times must the government fail
Before it's forever banned
Yes and how many times the people blame them
Before we see we're the one
The answer....

Closer to the rhythm and near rhymes.

Much better than mine, but you probably should of ended after the 4th line, it loses something musically after that

donttread
09-23-2016, 07:18 AM

Good, because ants can make powerful enemies . Especially "bullet ants", and "carpenter ants"

donttread
09-23-2016, 07:20 AM

Say what you will, classic protest songs don't get written or released by accident.

donttread
09-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Sorry Chris

I hope she isnt related to you in some way but shes a lousy singer.

this is how the song should be performed:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6fAO4idaI

Given our actions over the past 15 years the music industry should be releasing protest music right and left, but I hear far too little of it .
We've got tons of material so song writers of America get on the ball and lets start signing about wasting dollars and lives half a world away to change nothing except corporate balance sheets.
BTW, in case any of you have any doubt the "mountain being washed to sea" is an empire, regardless of how large it gets and how many people's it takes over or enslaves, empires always fall. No exceptions.

donttread
09-23-2016, 07:35 AM

Ants can indeed "blow in the wind" during the great flying ant hatches" Little bastards are everywhere for a day or two .

Standing Wolf
09-23-2016, 07:45 AM

Weird Al always gets permission from the original artists to do his parodies. Rumor has it that the only one to ever turn him down was Prince.

Anyway - while our government is far from perfect at any level, it is head and shoulders above what most countries have to deal with. That doesn't mean that we should be smug and self-satisfied, nor should we permit ourselves to be unquestioning, unprotesting sheep; it means that we should not become overly dramatic crybabies about it and act as though we are slaves and just the most put-upon, personally and collectively violated citizenry on the planet. :rollseyes:

You want to hear a good modern protest song? Try this one on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5raQ1E4YNVM

Docthehun
09-23-2016, 08:14 AM
I'm going to bet that no matter who emerges as the victor, the following has and will remain true. "We have met the enemy......."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj5EsR1IJ04

Ravens Fan
09-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Weird Al always gets permission from the original artists to do his parodies. Rumor has it that the only one to ever turn him down was Prince.

Anyway - while our government is far from perfect at any level, it is head and shoulders above what most countries have to deal with. That doesn't mean that we should be smug and self-satisfied, nor should we permit ourselves to be unquestioning, unprotesting sheep; it means that we should not become overly dramatic crybabies about it and act as though we are slaves and just the most put-upon, personally and collectively violated citizenry on the planet. :rollseyes:

You are correct in that he does usually get permission from the original writers first, although legally he has no requirement to do so. Prince was the only artist to continually turn him down. I was just using him as an example though, as many others have done the same thing with or without permission.

I agree that our government is better than most, but we still have many major issues that cannot be ignored or downplayed by comparing ourselves to 3rd world countries. We have every right and even a duty to want to rid our system of corruption, wherever it may exist.

Subdermal
09-23-2016, 08:48 AM

:facepalm:

Leftist thought process - Oxymoron Level 100.

Subdermal
09-23-2016, 08:49 AM

:facepalm:

It's nice you try to reinforce your inanity by 'liking' your comment with your own sock.

:biglaugh:

Mac-7
09-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Given our actions over the past 15 years the music industry should be releasing protest music right and left, but I hear far too little of it .
We've got tons of material so song writers of America get on the ball and lets start signing about wasting dollars and lives half a world away to change nothing except corporate balance sheets.
BTW, in case any of you have any doubt the "mountain being washed to sea" is an empire, regardless of how large it gets and how many people's it takes over or enslaves, empires always fall. No exceptions.

The 60's was the classic era for protest songs.

not much since then or much before except for woody guthrie

sachem
09-23-2016, 09:45 AM

" The answer my friend is blowing in the wind inside your empty head"You have a lovely voice.

donttread
09-23-2016, 10:10 AM
The 60's was the classic era for protest songs.

not much since then or much before except for woody guthrie

We need em back. We are way bigger war mongers than we were in the 60's

Docthehun
09-23-2016, 10:42 AM
We need em back. We are way bigger war mongers than we were in the 60's

There were 58,000+ reasons.

Bethere
09-24-2016, 01:33 AM

I've never heard of weird al!

Duh.

Look, al and I are both members of ascap. We are both governed by fair use laws.

Substituting non conforming lyrics to a song does not necessarily satisfy the fair use doctrine. Don Henley famously defended his work in a similar context for 'boys of summer" and "all she wants to do is dance."

Blowing in the wind is aguably a parody of a slave spiritual, "no more auction block."

The difference is the conforming content, as well as the public domain status of "no more auction block."

donttread
09-24-2016, 08:23 AM
I've never heard of weird al!

Duh.

Look, al and I are both members of ascap. We are both governed by fair use laws.

Substituting non conforming lyrics to a song does not necessarily satisfy the fair use doctrine. Don Henley famously defended his work in a similar context for 'boys of summer" and "all she wants to do is dance."

Blowing in the wind is aguably a parody of a slave spiritual, "no more auction block."

The difference is the conforming content, as well as the public domain status of "no more auction block."

Or and I'm just throwing this out there. "Blowing in the wind" could be exactly what it purported to be. A protest song aganist the first war Americans really understood to be wrong and unecessary.

donttread
09-24-2016, 08:34 AM

Interesting. But part of the point SW is that governments tend to move from freedom towards control. So there is no such thing as simply accepting the intrusions of todaya nad saying well it could be worse, we could be in NK. Because it will get worse unless we stop it.
Twenty or 30 years ago can you imagine the people putting up with 13 straight years of unproductive war , or finding out their governmentv was secretly spying on them and had no intention to stop, or the open influence peddling after the "Citizens fucked over" Act. The founders warned us, but we got fat ald lazy and used "Bread and Circuses"
To accept the government with all it's flaws today is to accept total corporate dictorial control within 50 years

Chris
09-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Corporations have only the control they can purchase from the government.