PDA

View Full Version : 'Death spiral'? ObamaCare problems making coverage harder to afford, find

Peter1469
09-29-2016, 04:52 AM
'Death spiral'? ObamaCare problems making coverage harder to afford, find (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/09/28/death-spiral-obamacare-problems-making-coverage-harder-to-afford-find.html)

When Health Republic Insurance of New Jersey announced recently that it’s $46 million in debt and shutting down, it became the 17th failed ObamaCare co-op since the Affordable Care Act launched three years ago.

Those failures – just six of the original 23 co-ops remain – have left hundreds of thousands of people scrambling for coverage.

Meanwhile, insurers claiming big losses are leaving some state exchanges -- including Indiana University Health Plans, whose exit is expected to result in 27,000 Indiana residents losing ObamaCare plans in 2017. And companies still operating in the federal and state exchanges are raising premiums for next year.

Together, the developments are posing new challenges for Americans seeking affordable coverage, and show the highly touted overhaul of the country’s health care system is in some cases not yielding the savings President Obama once promised.

As a candidate on the campaign trail in 2008, Obama once said: “If you’ve got health insurance, we’re going to help that employer save $2,500 per family per year. … Those savings are going to be passed along to the workers.”

Nationally, though, premium hikes are expected to average 8 percent next year. Many insurance companies are seeking much more than that, for the exchange plans and those offered to employers.

I think Obamacare is working as it was designed to work.

FindersKeepers
09-29-2016, 05:28 AM
I agree. If this wasn't intended -- it was among the dumbest mistakes made by the authors of a bill.

It's all heading toward a public option.

The thing is -- this could have been settled from the start by implementing an OPTIONAL public option for those who wanted to buy into a bare bones plan at a low cost. It would not have affected big insurers, save to prompt them to come into competition a bit. There should never have been a coercion penalty that punished those who could not afford to buy healthcare. That was, and is, as anti-American as it gets.

All they had to do was implement a single public option for those who wanted to participate that operated like Medicare (not Medicaid).

Now, we'll see something similar -- but it will be overextended and draconian in nature.

Not that I will cry at the demise of big insurers and Big Pharma.

I welcome their demise.

stjames1_53
09-29-2016, 05:43 AM
We had lost our insurance 3 months ago. (Supplied through work..lost the job). We shopped around and found that the exchanges in Indiana were so expensive 900 a month or worse. 20/80 across the board and no extended stay in the hospital.
we finally got a call from a group insurer and got a plan for less than 200 with more coverage and hospital stay.
I can supply a number for those who might need it. Just send me a pm

zelmo1234
09-29-2016, 08:12 AM
I see that the Blue in TX is requesting a 60% increase in premiums.

If anyone wants a reason to vote for Trump, as bad as he is? This should be it.

stjames1_53
09-29-2016, 03:06 PM
I agree. If this wasn't intended -- it was among the dumbest mistakes made by the authors of a bill.

It's all heading toward a public option.

The thing is -- this could have been settled from the start by implementing an OPTIONAL public option for those who wanted to buy into a bare bones plan at a low cost. It would not have affected big insurers, save to prompt them to come into competition a bit. There should never have been a coercion penalty that punished those who could not afford to buy healthcare. That was, and is, as anti-American as it gets.

All they had to do was implement a single public option for those who wanted to participate that operated like Medicare (not Medicaid).

Now, we'll see something similar -- but it will be overextended and draconian in nature.

Not that I will cry at the demise of big insurers and Big Pharma.

I welcome their demise.

the only intention of Obiecare was to institute another tax on us. That was all it was designed to do.
The other side of the coin was that the fed gov grabbed another 7-10% of the private economy......quasi-epic taxation

DGUtley
09-29-2016, 03:44 PM
You just can't change that 1 + 1 = 2. No matter what the politicians say.

Common Sense
09-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Damn I love my healthcare...

Tahuyaman
09-30-2016, 11:50 AM
'Death spiral'? ObamaCare problems making coverage harder to afford, find (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/09/28/death-spiral-obamacare-problems-making-coverage-harder-to-afford-find.html)

I think Obamacare is working as it was designed to work.

I agree. It was intended to be a failure in order to justify a complete government take over.

Tahuyaman
09-30-2016, 11:51 AM
Damn I love my healthcare...

According to every Canadian I've met, it's great as long as you don't need it.

Peter1469
09-30-2016, 01:11 PM
I agree. It was intended to be a failure in order to justify a complete government take over.

Single payer. Bet the hard left chooses a model closer to the UK model than the Canadian model.

Tahuyaman
09-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Single payer. Bet the hard left chooses a model closer to the UK model than the Canadian model.

Either of which will be a failure here.

Only in the left wing world is applying more failure to correct a failure considered sound policy.

Common Sense
09-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Either of which will be a failure here.

Only in the left wing world is applying more failure to correct a failure considered sound policy.

The Canadian model could be replicated with no issues in the US. It could be administered by each state as it's done here (by Province). If Ontario, with nearly 14 million people can do it, then so could almost any state. The model is scaleable.

The vast majority of Canadians love this system. It works and delivers healthcare to all at a lower cost than in the US with the same or better results. It's not like the VA. Hospitals are not run by the state, but by private corporations. The provinces act as regulator and insurance. Most Canadians also have supplemental insurance through their employers that cover things like private rooms, dentist, medications etc...

stjames1_53
10-01-2016, 08:55 PM
The Canadian model could be replicated with no issues in the US. It could be administered by each state as it's done here (by Province). If Ontario, with nearly 14 million people can do it, then so could almost any state. The model is scaleable.

The vast majority of Canadians love this system. It works and delivers healthcare to all at a lower cost than in the US with the same or better results. It's not like the VA. Hospitals are not run by the state, but by private corporations. The provinces act as regulator and insurance. Most Canadians also have supplemental insurance through their employers that cover things like private rooms, dentist, medications etc...

I had all that sh*t before Obama got ahold of my insurance. and for a hell of a lot less than I pay today. Yeppers, my insurance was just right, then some stupid m-f'er decided I need to pay for someone else's healthcare, or multiple someone(s) creating an automatic increase for me. Some illegal Mexican got my insurance, and I got stuck with his. So don't praise your precious insurance if you've never been forced under threat of jail, to pay for another's healthcare.
You may have a right to healthcare, but you do not have the right to force another to pay for it. WE call that earning your way.......
Let me ask you an honest question. What happens to your healthcare if the tax revenue for your healthcare falls to less than 75% paying participation? Gonna force those doctors to take and treat patients without getting paid, promptly? Will your government take out 2 or 3 trillion dollar loan to pay for it? What if it cannot generate the money to pay the bank back?
What's around the corner?