PDA

View Full Version : 'No Religion' Is Increasingly Popular Choice For Americans

AZFlyFisher
10-10-2012, 02:37 AM
'No Religion' Is Increasingly Popular Choice For Americans
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/no-religion-pew-report_n_1949598.html

"One in five American adults now have no religious affiliation, according to the report released Tuesday. They include self-described atheists and agnostics, but also a much larger number of people who have no interest in labeling themselves in any way when it comes to their faith or lack thereof. The group, which the report also called the "nones," has shot up to 19 percent from 15 percent of American adults in a Pew survey five years ago.
The latest Pew report, which used data from a summer survey of the nones and crunched numbers from earlier Pew surveys, found there are 46 million religiously unaffiliated adults in the U.S., including 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics and 33 million people who don't identify with any religion. More than two-thirds of the nones said they believe in God, more than half said they frequently feel a deep spiritual connection with nature and the Earth, more than one-third see themselves as "spiritual but not religious," and one in five pray daily."

Combine long term trends with the fact that believers are literally dying out and I think less than 10% of the population will be religious within 150 to 200 years. If this is also true in the middle east, we may then have a chance for lasting peace. There will still be a few religious extremists but they won't have much influence.

Larry Dickman
10-10-2012, 05:36 AM
This is not a good thing, not by a long shot.

Calypso Jones
10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
I used to say no religious affiliation on forms all the time. I felt it was none of their business. i do the same with questions about gun ownership and how much money i make, the number of kids in my household, medical information and political affiliation. What may very well be happening is that people are protecting their privacy from prying eyes.

Mister D
10-10-2012, 07:59 AM

"One in five American adults now have no religious affiliation, according to the report released Tuesday. They include self-described atheists and agnostics, but also a much larger number of people who have no interest in labeling themselves in any way when it comes to their faith or lack thereof. The group, which the report also called the "nones," has shot up to 19 percent from 15 percent of American adults in a Pew survey five years ago.
The latest Pew report, which used data from a summer survey of the nones and crunched numbers from earlier Pew surveys, found there are 46 million religiously unaffiliated adults in the U.S., including 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics and 33 million people who don't identify with any religion. More than two-thirds of the nones said they believe in God, more than half said they frequently feel a deep spiritual connection with nature and the Earth, more than one-third see themselves as "spiritual but not religious," and one in five pray daily."

Combine long term trends with the fact that believers are literally dying out and I think less than 10% of the population will be religious within 150 to 200 years. If this is also true in the middle east, we may then have a chance for lasting peace. There will still be a few religious extremists but they won't have much influence.

"More than two-thirds of the nones said they believe in God, more than half said they frequently feel a deep spiritual connection with nature and the Earth, more than one-third see themselves as "spiritual but not religious," and one in five pray daily."

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKbugTJdvh6QwiCbu0qpyNtLgwlyE_a wDUnVx7Rz5s_eKt6R0P

patrickt
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I used to refuse to answer questions concerning race but then it became illegal.

Me? I'm an atheist. People who say they have no religion but believe in a god and have a strong spiritual relations with a god are wusses.

truthmatters
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Nope they just realise there are those who would seek to use the leash of organized releigion to gain power and wield it are the ones they stop by NOT organzing

Mister D
10-10-2012, 08:19 AM
I used to refuse to answer questions concerning race but then it became illegal.

Me? I'm an atheist. People who say they have no religion but believe in a god and have a strong spiritual relations with a god are wusses.

Apparently, there are a lot of those people. I bet they think you're a wuss. :smiley:

AZFlyFisher
10-10-2012, 01:56 PM
"More than two-thirds of the nones said they believe in God, more than half said they frequently feel a deep spiritual connection with nature and the Earth, more than one-third see themselves as "spiritual but not religious," and one in five pray daily."

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKbugTJdvh6QwiCbu0qpyNtLgwlyE_a wDUnVx7Rz5s_eKt6R0P

Yes, what you quoted is correct. Now look at the trend, lol. As usual, you completely missed the entire point of the article. Go back to work.

Mister D
10-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes, what you quoted is correct. Now look at the trend, lol. As usual, you completely missed the entire point of the article. Go back to work.

Of course what I quoted was correct. You should probably read your own articles. :rofl:It's a big religious world out there, AZ. Get used to it.

JohnAdams
10-10-2012, 02:04 PM

And hence why America finds herself where she is at....I hope no one is now confused or bewildered by the current situation in our nation.

Mister D
10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I find it bewildering that 1 in 5 of AZ's non-religious people prays daily. :rofl:

Kizzume
10-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I think it's a great thing. Less people judging others based on religious dogma. It's a positive trend.

Mister D
10-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I think it's a great thing. Less people judging others based on religious dogma. It's a positive trend.

It will leave them a lot more time to judge people based on political dogma. :smiley:

Cigar
10-10-2012, 02:41 PM

You'll go really far with this Thread :)

AZFlyFisher
10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I find it bewildering that 1 in 5 of AZ's non-religious people prays daily. :rofl:

Not surprised, since you seem to be in a bewildered state most of the time. Now get back to work.

Mainecoons
10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Hello AZ. Obsessing on religion still, I see. :grin:

Mister D
10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Hello AZ. Obsessing on religion still, I see. :grin:

From time to time he broadens his horizon by telling us how much he hates Republicans. :grin:

Calypso Jones
10-10-2012, 03:04 PM

tell that to muslims. And atheists for that matter.

Chris
10-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Religion doesn't cause war, governments do. Now imagine no government. It's easy if you try.

Mainecoons
10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
More correctly, government fronting or in thrall to religion starts wars.

Iran is a classic example if there ever was one.

Kizzume
10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
tell that to muslims. And atheists for that matter.

I have to laugh when people try to associate dogma with atheism. There is no dogma to simply not believing in god. Being intolerant of intolerance is not following any sort of dogma.

And I'd be happy to tell that to Muslims, I think Islam is the most barbaric commonly-practiced religion on the planet.

KC
10-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Religion doesn't cause war, governments do. Now imagine no government. It's easy if you try.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

-John Lennon

Chris
10-10-2012, 04:13 PM
More correctly, government fronting or in thrall to religion starts wars.

Iran is a classic example if there ever was one.

Governments using religion, doing their deeds in the name of God.

roadmaster
10-10-2012, 04:21 PM
And I'd be happy to tell that to Muslims, I think Islam is the most barbaric commonly-practiced religion on the planet.

Go ahead but do it in person.

Agravan
10-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I have to laugh when people try to associate dogma with atheism. There is no dogma to simply not believing in god. Being intolerant of intolerance is not following any sort of dogma.

I disagree, atheists can be very dogmatic in their non-faith faith. Take AZ for example, just go back and read his posts on religion and then tell us how he is not dogmatic in his beliefs.
As far as being tolerant, there is no tolerance in any of his posts, or most atheists', for that matter.
We are tolerant of your non-faith faith, why do you have such a problem with ours? Not you, specifically, atheists in general.

Kizzume
10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I disagree, atheists can be very dogmatic in their non-faith faith. Take AZ for example, just go back and read his posts on religion and then tell us how he is not dogmatic in his beliefs.

There's no one set of dogma that atheists follow. There is no set of rules, there is no rulebook, it's simply people defending their ideas. Just because people are opinionated doesn't mean they're following some sort of dogma.

As far as being tolerant, there is no tolerance in any of his posts, or most atheists', for that matter.
We are tolerant of your non-faith faith, why do you have such a problem with ours? Not you, specifically, atheists in general.
It's because many religious people are NOT tolerant of things like gay issues, women's rights and reproductive issues--many religious people USE religious dogma to degrade others or to even take their rights away.

Kizzume
10-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Go ahead but do it in person.

No thanks, I don't like being physically attacked.

shaarona
10-10-2012, 05:11 PM
No thanks, I don't like being physically attacked.

When I was a kid we'd be on the way to or from a ballgame or the souk or just about anywhere , usually singing 100 bottles of beer on the wall... when our driver would suddenly pull over, park and pray for about 8 minutes.

In the day to day, it simply wasn't a threat of any kind... and none of us perceived it as such.