PDA

View Full Version : Let's not lose sight of an important distinction

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Between Hillary and Trump. Bill Clinton is not running for President anymore than Melania is. Stick to the candidates not their families.

HoneyBadger
10-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Bill is fair game. As a political power couple, they are inseparable.

Cigar
10-11-2016, 02:15 PM
The ReThugs will be after The Clinton's long after The Clinton's are dead and gone ... just like The Obama's

They just can't take a good ass-kicking like Adults

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Bill is fair game. As a political power couple, they are inseparable.What your theory amounts to is what you are full of..........BTW That Avatar doesn't make you a tough guy!

Cigar
10-11-2016, 02:24 PM
SUCK IT UP you Puzzies!

A message to Trump supporters: we put up with a Nixon, a Reagan and 2 Bushes.

We went about our lives, paid our taxes and still put up with your BS.

You would be wise to do the same, and stop whining.

HoneyBadger
10-11-2016, 02:33 PM
What your theory amounts to is what you are full of..........BTW That Avatar doesn't make you a tough guy!

That avatar doesn't make me a guy at all, you dumbass.

Guess what hon... all of your assumptions are wrong.

Cigar
10-11-2016, 02:35 PM

Is AZ Jim grabbing you?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Staying with someone for political gain is reprehensible and a reflection of her character. Let's not forget that she defended a child rapist in court that she knew was guilty. She's no champion for women, even ignoring Bill's baggage.

HoneyBadger
10-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Is @AZ Jim (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1901) grabbing you?

I'm pretty sure he just got a hand full of something he didn't expect.

Cigar
10-11-2016, 02:38 PM
Staying with someone for political gain is reprehensible and a reflection of her character. Let's not forget that she defended a child rapist in court that she knew was guilty. She's no champion for women, even ignoring Bill's baggage.

http://blog.beliefnet.com/prayables/files/2013/06/marriage-tips.png (http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/prayables/2013/06/marriage-tips.html) Don't ask Donald Trump to explain :laugh:

Newpublius
10-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Between Hillary and Trump. Bill Clinton is not running for President anymore than Melania is. Stick to the candidates not their families.

That is true but there's also another distinction which is Hillary's promiment role as First Lady at the time with considerable influence over the health issues in the 90s and ultimately given Bill's political acumen he's not just the first male spouse of a President he's akin to a virtual Vice President. And frankly there's too much at stake to say 'this is off limits, this isn't' -- it just makes no political sense to attack Melania. If there were, she would be.

Cigar
10-11-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure he just got a hand full of something he didn't expect.

http://www.meistercontinentalfoods.co.uk/s/cc_images/cache_2419295107.jpg?t=1305624806 (http://www.meistercontinentalfoods.co.uk/)

Peter1469
10-11-2016, 02:41 PM

Warning: Please don’t call members names.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 02:41 PM

"I’m not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president." - First Lady Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents in 1998

Bill and Hillary Clinton together comprise a single political entity. She said so herself.

Crepitus
10-11-2016, 02:45 PM

A. We don't know why she stayed. Women stay with cheating husbands all the time.

B. She was a defense lawyer, that's what they do. It's their job.

Mini Me
10-11-2016, 03:02 PM
What your theory amounts to is what you are full of..........BTW That Avatar doesn't make you a tough guy!

Only cowards would bring an automatic weapon to a fist fight!

The Xl
10-11-2016, 03:06 PM
A. We don't know why she stayed. Women stay with cheating husbands all the time.

I think it's pretty evident why she stayed. This presidential run, and all her power and political positions, as well as her wealth, is pretty clearly why she stayed.

No defense attorney is obligated to take a case. Defending someone you know is guilty is an absolute scumbag move. She has literally zero morals or character. The victim was a kid for fucks sake. She's slime.

Peter1469
10-11-2016, 03:08 PM
I think it's pretty evident why she stayed. This presidential run, and all her power and political positions, as well as her wealth, is pretty clearly why she stayed.

No defense attorney is obligated to take a case. Defending someone you know is guilty is an absolute scumbag move. She has literally zero morals or character. The victim was a kid for fucks sake. She's slime.

As are every single supporter of hers.

Mini Me
10-11-2016, 03:12 PM
"I’m not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president." - First Lady Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents in 1998

Bill and Hillary Clinton together comprise a single political entity. She said so herself.

It will be Bill making most of the decisions. And I think that's a good thing!
You can't beat experience!

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 03:15 PM
As are every single supporter of hers.But Trump supporters such as yourself are paragons of virtue? Hahahahahaha more and more you become a living Joke.

Peter1469
10-11-2016, 03:18 PM
But Trump supporters such as yourself are paragons of virtue? Hahahahahaha more and more you become a living Joke.

I don't support Trump. And I don't self identify as a toilet.

Mini Me
10-11-2016, 03:18 PM

My best guess is they are SWINGERS!
And she may be allowed to get it on with whomever she wants!Male of female!

That would explain a lot! For some, that actually keeps a marriage togthether!

ripmeister
10-11-2016, 03:37 PM

This one about the child rapist is another red herring. She was appointed to that case, tried to get out of having to do it, couldn't and ultimately did her job of giving the defense the best job she could. I saw the prosecutor from that case on TV the other day and he nothing but good things to say about Hillary and that case as far as her involvement. People, including you really need to educate yourselves on these matters although I suspect you know that.

hanger4
10-11-2016, 05:03 PM

How do you square what Hillary said;

"To every survivor of sexual assault...You have the right to be heard. You have the right to be believed. We're with you."

With this;

http://www.dailywire.com/news/9585/9-times-hillary-clinton-threatened-smeared-or-amanda-prestigiacomo

And this doesn't include what Hillary's paid and unpaid surrogates said about Bill's accusers.

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 05:33 PM
How do you square what Hillary said;

"To every survivor of sexual assault...You have the right to be heard. You have the right to be believed. We're with you."

With this;

http://www.dailywire.com/news/9585/9-times-hillary-clinton-threatened-smeared-or-amanda-prestigiacomo

And this doesn't include what Hillary's paid and unpaid surrogates said about Bill's accusers.

Every defendant has a right to a attorney to defend them.

Peter1469
10-11-2016, 05:35 PM

I never did defense work, but I always supported the defense attorneys when I was a prosecutor and a military magistrate.

hanger4
10-11-2016, 05:44 PM

I totally agree but, what your response has to do with my post is beyond me. Please explain.

Crepitus
10-11-2016, 05:49 PM

A. You are assuming, and you know what happens when you do that.

B. Someone has to defend every criminal. That's what defense lawyers do. Like I said, that's their job. She was appointed by a judge btw.

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-freed-child-rapist-laughed-about-it/

Read and be enlightened.

Crepitus
10-11-2016, 05:51 PM

That would explain a lot! For some, that actually keeps a marriage togthether!

Who knows? You could be correct.

del
10-11-2016, 05:56 PM

ostomy bag?

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 06:00 PM

That would explain a lot! For some, that actually keeps a marriage togthether!Male infidelity in marriage is quite common and most marriages survive it. It is a private matter. Trump has been a cheater in his marriages, dwell on that if you must.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 06:03 PM
This one about the child rapist is another red herring. She was appointed to that case, tried to get out of having to do it, couldn't and ultimately did her job of giving the defense the best job she could. I saw the prosecutor from that case on TV the other day and he nothing but good things to say about Hillary and that case as far as her involvement. People, including you really need to educate yourselves on these matters although I suspect you know that.

Absolute nonsense. No one is forced to take a case, and she did so knowing that her client was guilty. The fact that you're making a half assed attempt to defend it is shameful and partisan.

exploited
10-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Absolute nonsense. No one is forced to take a case, and she did so knowing that her client was guilty. The fact that you're making a half assed attempt to defend it is shameful and partisan.

"To be an effective criminal defense counsel, an attorney must be prepared to be demanding, outrageous, irreverent, blasphemous, a rogue, a renegade, and a hated, isolated, and lonely person - few love a spokesman for the despised and the damned." -Clarence Darrow

A defense attorney, and particularly those who work for next to nothing to defend those who cannot afford their own laywer, are the unsung heroes of our criminal justice system. They take on a difficult and unthankful job that is absolutely crucial to limiting government power over the individual. They are, at the end of the day, one of the best limitations on tyranny out there. Thank god they have the fortitude to defend those who may least deserve it, but need it the most.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 06:10 PM
"To be an effective criminal defense counsel, an attorney must be prepared to be demanding, outrageous, irreverent, blasphemous, a rogue, a renegade, and a hated, isolated, and lonely person - few love a spokesman for the despised and the damned." -Clarence Darrow

Anyone who defends someone they know raped a child is a piece of shit.

exploited
10-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Anyone who defends someone they know raped a child is a piece of $#@!.

Nope. Such an action is heroic, and absolutely necessary to maintain personal liberty.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Nope. Such an action is heroic, and absolutely necessary to maintain personal liberty.

That's probably the most delusional and disgusting thing written in the history of this board. Lawyers who defend people they actually believe in are heroic. Lawyers who defend people they know are guilty are among the lowest form of scum on the planet.

Peter1469
10-11-2016, 06:19 PM
ostomy bag?

Not yet

exploited
10-11-2016, 06:19 PM
That's probably the most delusional and disgusting thing written in the history of this board. Lawyers who defend people they actually believe in are heroic. Lawyers who defend people they know are guilty are among the lowest form of scum on the planet.

Incorrect. Every person deserves effective legal representation, no matter what they have allegedly done. It is a bedrock principle of the adversarial system designed and empowered by the Constitution, which has served the people effectively for centuries. I hope all murderers, rapists, child molesters, serial killers and war criminals are defended effectively. I also hope they are convicted... but if they aren't, that is the fault of the State, and not their legal representation.

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Incorrect. Every person deserves effective legal representation, no matter what they have allegedly done. It is a bedrock principle of the adversarial system designed and empowered by the Constitution, which has served the people effectively for centuries. I hope all murderers, rapists, child molesters, serial killers and war criminals are defended effectively. I also hope they are convicted... but if they aren't, that is the fault of the State, and not their legal representation.Logic is not his strong suit.

Green Arrow
10-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Bill Clinton would actually be preferable to Hillary, but not by much.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Incorrect. Every person deserves effective legal representation, no matter what they have allegedly done. It is a bedrock principle of the adversarial system designed and empowered by the Constitution, which has served the people effectively for centuries. I hope all murderers, rapists, child molesters, serial killers and war criminals are defended effectively. I also hope they are convicted... but if they aren't, that is the fault of the State, and not their legal representation.

So let someone who believes in the client do it. To get someone off that you know is criminal is absolutely reprehensible, and if you actually believe what you're saying, you should probably take a long look in the mirror.

exploited
10-11-2016, 06:29 PM
So let someone who believes in the client do it. To get someone off that you know is criminal is absolutely reprehensible, and if you actually believe what you're saying, you should probably take a long look in the mirror.

I believe the best way of determining if someone is a criminal is if the evidence is presented to a jury of their peers, who pass judgment based on whether or not the evidence convinces them of guilt, beyond a reasonable doubt. Do you disagree that this is the best method we have?

It isn't reprehensible whatsoever. It is actually a tremendous service to the cause of personal liberty, which holds that no person can be justly imprisoned without undergoing a fair trial, with effective legal representation. If the government cannot prove their case, that is because they have failed to make a compelling one, and reason holds that the defendant should be set free, as they are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 06:33 PM
I believe the best way of determining if someone is a criminal is if the evidence is presented to a jury of their peers, who pass judgment based on whether or not the evidence convinces them of guilt, beyond a reasonable doubt. Do you disagree that this is the best method we have?

She knew. She said she lost faith in lie detectors after he passed one. She knew for sure.

exploited
10-11-2016, 06:36 PM
She knew. She said she lost faith in lie detectors after he passed one. She knew for sure.

Incorrect. She didn't know. She had an intuition, which may or may not have been correct. And she was right to lose faith in lie detectors, because they are notoriously bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_detection

In the 2007 peer-reviewed academic article "Charlatanry in forensic speech science", the authors reviewed 50 years of lie detector research and came to the conclusion that there is no scientific evidence supporting that voice analysis lie detectors actually work.[8] Lie detector manufacturer Nemesysco threatened to sue the academic publisher for libel resulting in removal of the article from online databases. In a letter to the publisher, Nemesysco's lawyers wrote that the authors of the article could be sued for defamation if they wrote on the subject again.[9][10] The full text of the article is available online.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph#National_Academy_of_Sciences

The accuracy of the polygraph has been contested almost since the introduction of the device. In 2003, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) issued a report entitled "The Polygraph and Lie Detection". The NAS found that the majority of polygraph research was "unreliable, unscientific and biased", concluding that 57 of the approximately 80 research studies that the American Polygraph Association relies on to come to their conclusions were significantly flawed.[30] These studies did show that specific-incident polygraph testing, in a person untrained in counter-measures, could discern the truth at "a level greater than chance, yet short of perfection". However, due to several flaws, the levels of accuracy shown in these studies "are almost certainly higher than actual polygraph accuracy of specific-incident testing in the field".[14]

When polygraphs are used as a screening tool (in national security matters and for law enforcement agencies for example) the level of accuracy drops to such a level that "Its accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies." The NAS concluded that the polygraph "...may have some utility"[14] but that there is "little basis for the expectation that a polygraph test could have extremely high accuracy."[14]:212

The NAS conclusions paralleled those of the earlier United States Congress Office of Technology Assessment report "Scientific Validity of Polygraph Testing: A Research Review and Evaluation".[31] Similarly, a report to Congress by the Moynihan Commission on Government Secrecy[32] on national security concluded that " The few Government-sponsored scientific research reports on polygraph validity (as opposed to its utility), especially those focusing on the screening of applicants for employment, indicate that the polygraph is neither scientifically valid nor especially effective beyond its ability to generate admissions..."

Peter1469
10-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Logic is not his strong suit.

You identify with a toilet bowl.

decedent
10-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Do you have evidence of this?

More fables about Hillary...

The Xl
10-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Incorrect. She didn't know. She had an intuition, which may or may not have been correct. And she was right to lose faith in lie detectors, because they are notoriously bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_detection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph#National_Academy_of_Sciences

I'm aware that lie detectors are inaccurate. She knew the guy was guilty. She defended someone she knew was guilty, someone who raped a child and put her into a temporary coma, just to further her career. She didn't care about the pain that caused that child or her loved ones. That isn't my definition of a moral and honorable person.

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 08:36 PM
I'm aware that lie detectors are inaccurate. She knew the guy was guilty. She defended someone she knew was guilty, someone who raped a child and put her into a temporary coma, just to further her career. She didn't care about the pain that caused that child or her loved ones. That isn't my definition of a moral and honorable person.Your total lack of knowledge of our legal system it is obvious. Go read a damn book and quit soap box philosophizing.

exploited
10-11-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm aware that lie detectors are inaccurate. She knew the guy was guilty. She defended someone she knew was guilty, someone who raped a child and put her into a temporary coma, just to further her career. She didn't care about the pain that caused that child or her loved ones. That isn't my definition of a moral and honorable person.

You are speculating that she knew the guy was guilty, and you have yet to account for the fact that every single person, regardless of their alleged crime, deserves effective legal representation. Somebody will have to provide it.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Your total lack of knowledge of our legal system it is obvious. Go read a damn book and quit soap box philosophizing.

Go ahead, specifically explain where my knowledge of the legal system is lacking, based on my posts in this thread. I'll wait.

Safety
10-11-2016, 08:43 PM

Yea, like, sheesh.

OMG a defense lawyer defended someone....Manson, Bundy, and even Jared from Subway had a defense lawyer.

Silly season.

EDIT: Damn, I shouldn't have responded, that means I'm a shill now...

The Xl
10-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Yea, like, sheesh.

OMG a defense lawyer defended someone....Manson, Bundy, and even Jared from Subway had a defense lawyer.

Silly season.

Nah, you're just a clown at this point.

Yeah, defending and getting someone exonerated who you know is a brutal criminal is absolutely scummy, no matter how much you and others dismiss it. But it shouldn't be a surprise at this point, you've dismissed all the reprehensible and shady shit she's done while playing the race card over and over on Trump. You even took your standard pot shots at the character of some posters, despite your own hypocrisy. It's a mockery at this point that you have the standing that you do, you're just del 2.0 at this point.

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Go ahead, specifically explain where my knowledge of the legal system is lacking, based on my posts in this thread. I'll wait.The entire plank of our judicial system is based upon a fair trail for anyone accused of a crime. This includes an attorney to defend him and protect his rights. You may have an appointed attorney at no charge if you cannot afford to hire one. You suggest otherwise and you are wrong.

Safety
10-11-2016, 08:55 PM

Yeah, defending and getting someone exonerated who you know is a brutal criminal is absolutely scummy, no matter how much you and others dismiss it. But it shouldn't be a surprise at this point, you've dismissed all the reprehensible and shady shit she's done while playing the race card over and over on Trump. You even took your standard pot shots at the character of some posters, despite your own hypocrisy. It's a mockery at this point that you have the standing that you do, you're just del 2.0 at this point.

*yawn*, let me know when you abide by what you accuse others of.

Newsflash genius, I can disparage Trump all day, for as long as I care to, and like I've said before...if you don't like it, start pounding sand. I'd rather be del 2.0, cigar 2.0, mark 2.0, than be made look like a clown for supporting someone who has played the hell out of you.

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Xl Fail.

Ethereal
10-11-2016, 08:58 PM
XL taking out the trash... :shocked:

Dr. Who
10-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Honey Badger is a lady.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:04 PM

Newsflash genius, I can disparage Trump all day, for as long as I care to, and like I've said before...if you don't like it, start pounding sand. I'd rather be del 2.0, cigar 2.0, mark 2.0, than be made look like a clown for supporting someone who has played the hell out of you.

Disparage who you want, when you want, couldn't give a shit. I'll call you out for being the hypocritical joke you are when the situation calls for it, and if you don't like it, pound sand.

And whp are you kidding anyway? For the past 8 months, all you've done is indirectly shill for Clinton and pop in threads with Del caliber one liners. You're the one who is a clown.

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Let the cheerleading begin.

Lawlz.

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Disparage who you want, when you want, couldn't give a shit. I'll call you out for being the hypocritical joke you are when the situation calls for it, and if you don't like it, pound sand.

And whp are you kidding anyway? For the past 8 months, all you've done is indirectly shill for Clinton and pop in threads with Del caliber one liners. You're the one who is a clown.

While you have shilled and shielded Trump. Call it even or not, I could care less.

There's a thing about jokes, usually there is a shred of truth to back them up.....

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
The entire plank of our judicial system is based upon a fair trail for anyone accused of a crime. This includes an attorney to defend him and protect his rights. You may have an appointed attorney at no charge if you cannot afford to hire one. You suggest otherwise and you are wrong.

Defending someone and defending someone you know is guilty is not the same thing.

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Tell that to a defense lawyer and see what his response to you is.

del
10-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Not yet

must get messy

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:09 PM
While you have shilled and shielded Trump. Call it even or not, I could care less.

There's a thing about jokes, usually there is a shred of truth to back them up.....

I'm not sitting here being holier than thou about it. And when I hit a thread, it's not some del caliber troll one liner, whether I'm shilling or not. For fucks sake.

Ethereal
Everyone is entitled to a defense, even the guilty, but their defense should be consistent with fact, evidence, and the law, and should not rely on sophistry and prevarication.

The Xl
Tell that to a defense lawyer and see what his response to you is.

Many lawyers are scum. That isn't limited to Hillary Clinton, but she sure fits that mold.

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:11 PM
I'm not sitting here being holier than thou about it. And when I hit a thread, it's not some del caliber troll one liner, whether I'm shilling or not. For fucks sake.

Dude, get over yourself. Seriously. Holier than thou?

FFS.

del
10-11-2016, 09:11 PM

del 2.0?

del
10-11-2016, 09:13 PM

his one liners are hardly of my caliber, but you're not known for your discernment so i'll let it slide.

carry on, sunshine

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Dude, get over yourself. Seriously. Holier than thou?

FFS.

Rich coming from you. Utterly meaningless. Play up your moral compass, then when you get called on it, deflect, play the victim, dismiss, etc. Safety 101.

del
10-11-2016, 09:15 PM

that's all you do, kid.

like ethereal 2.0

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:15 PM
his one liners are hardly of my caliber, but you're not known for your discernment so i'll let it slide.

carry on, sunshine

They both suck, same exact tier of cleverness.

del
10-11-2016, 09:16 PM
They both suck, same exact tier of cleverness.

as i said, discernment isn't your strong suit.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:17 PM
that's all you do, kid.

like ethereal 2.0

You don't have the capacity to do anything other than write shit tier, cringe inducing one liners, so forgive me while I dismiss your incorrect and irrelevant opinion.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:19 PM
as i said, discernment isn't your strong suit.

You don't have the capacity to do anything other than write shit tier, cringe inducing one liners, so forgive me while I dismiss your incorrect and irrelevant opinion.

del
10-11-2016, 09:19 PM

whatever you say, your holiness

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Rich coming from you. Utterly meaningless. Play up your moral compass, then when you get called on it, deflect, play the victim, dismiss, etc. Safety 101.

Obviously you have an issue with me, that's fine, but the only way to deal with it is to....well, deal with it.

Clear enough?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Obviously you have an issue with me, that's fine, but the only way to deal with it is to....well, deal with it.

Clear enough?

Just like you feel the need to say things when necessary, I do as well. Understand?

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:23 PM
del 2.0?

Yea, amazing, no?

It must be a "cool kids" thing.

Dr. Who
10-11-2016, 09:24 PM
However it is a tenet of the law that everyone, including the guilty are entitled to a defense. Even a state-appointed defense counsel is not allowed to simply throw the case if it goes to trial.

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Just like you feel the need to say things when necessary, I do as well. Understand?

Except you feel the need to get emotional and respond like everything is about you. This isn't about voting for prom king or queen.

TrueBlue
10-11-2016, 09:27 PM
The First Gentleman will not the running the show at the White House next January, Hillary will.

del
10-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Yea, amazing, no?

It must be a "cool kids" thing.

seems more like drama club to me

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Except you feel the need to get emotional and respond like everything is about you. This isn't about voting for prom king or queen.

Interestingly enough, my response had nothing to do with you, both today and yesterday. Although your initial response to my post in this thread was quite trollish, although that's par for the course at this point.

exploited
To get this discussion productive again, here are some thoughts from various sources.

From the dissenting opinion in United States v. Wade, written by Supreme Court Justice White:

[Unlike prosecutors,] defense counsel has no comparable obligation to ascertain or present the truth. . . . [W]e also insist that he defend his client whether he is innocent or guilty. . . . Defense counsel . . . need not furnish any witnesses to the police, or reveal any confidences of his client, or furnish any other information to help the prosecution’s case. If he can confuse a witness, even a truthful one, or make him appear at a disadvantage, unsure or indecisive, that will be his normal course. Our interest in not convicting the innocent permits counsel to put the State to its proof, to put the State’s case in the worst possible light, regardless of what he thinks or knows to be the truth. Undoubtedly there are some limits which defense counsel must observe but more often than not, defense counsel will cross-examine a prosecution witness, and impeach him if he can, even if he thinks the witness is telling the truth . . . . [A]spart of our modified adversary system and as part of the duty imposed on the most honorable defense counsel, we countenance or require conduct which in many instances has little, if any, relation to the search for truth.

He is advocating what is known as the strong adversarial position of attorney ethics.

From the American Bar Associations Criminal Justice Standards:

Some duties of defense counsel run throughout the period of representation, and even beyond. Defense counsel should consider the impact of these duties at all stages of a criminal representation and on all decisions and actions that arise in the course of performing the defense function. These duties include:

(a) a duty of confidentiality regarding information relevant to the client’s representation which duty continues after the representation ends;

(b) a duty of loyalty toward the client;

(c) a duty of candor toward the court and others, tempered by the duties of confidentiality and loyalty;

(d) a duty to communicate and keep the client informed and advised of significant developments and potential options and outcomes;

(e) a duty to be well-informed regarding the legal options and developments that can affect a client’s interests during a criminal representation;

(f) a duty to continually evaluate the impact that each decision or action may have at later stages, including trial, sentencing, and post-conviction review;

(g) a duty to be open to possible negotiated dispositions of the matter, including the possible benefits and disadvantages of cooperating with the prosecution;

(h) a duty to consider the collateral consequences of decisions and actions, including but not limited to the collateral consequences of conviction.

(a) In light of criminal defense counsel’s constitutionally recognized role in the criminal process, defense counsel’s duty of candor may be tempered by competing ethical and constitutional obligations. Defense counsel must act zealously within the bounds of the law and applicable rules to protect the client’s confidences and the unique liberty interests that are at stake in criminal prosecution.

(b) Defense counsel should not knowingly make a false statement of fact or law or offer false evidence, to a court, lawyer, witnesses, or third party. It is not a false statement for defense counsel to suggest inferences that may reasonably be drawn from the evidence. In addition, while acting to accommodate legitimate confidentiality, privilege, or other defense concerns, defense counsel should correct a defense representation of material fact or law that defense counsel knows is, or later learns was, false.

(c) Defense counsel should disclose to a court legal authority in the controlling jurisdiction known to defense counsel to be directly adverse to the position of the client and not disclosed by others.

From the Marquette Law Review:

However, not all scholars have so readily embraced the notion thatthe defense attorney should advance a false defense by discrediting thetruthful witness. Perhaps most prominently, Professor Harry I. Subinargues for a more limited role when defense counsel knows thedefendant is guilty, which is motivated in large part by the defenseattorney’s dual obligations as an advocate and an officer of the court.26Subin concedes that, because the defendant has a constitutional right toforce the government to prove each element of the crime beyond areasonable doubt, it corresponds that it is likewise ethically permissibleto discredit the truthful witness in order to challenge the weight of thegovernment’s evidence.

Nevertheless, to Subin, criminal defense lawyers have a primaryobligation to the truth, and tactics that distort or mislead the jury areinconsistent with this obligation.28 Initially, Subin argued that whendefense counsel knows the client is guilty, in such instances, he shouldbe limited to a monitoring role to ensure that a conviction is based on anadequate amount of competent and admissible evidence.29 Subin latermodified his position, based in part on the defendant’s constitutionalright to challenge the state’s case, and proposed that defense lawyerscould argue carefully worded alternative inferences or explanations thatthe attorney knows are not true for the purpose of assisting the factfinder in measuring the weight of the evidence.30 However, in Subin’sview, the jury should be given an instruction that it is permissible for thedefense to offer alternative versions of the facts, even if it has no goodfaith basis for believing the truth of its position.31 Moreover, Subinrejects the assertion of the systemic justifications noted above, i.e., thattruth subversion in an individual case is a necessary component ofpreventing governmental overreaching in the large scheme of thecriminal justice system.32Subin’s view has been referred to as a form of “weakadversarial[ism.]”33 Proponents of this type of lawyering suggest that itadvances societies interests because "[i]t is only when the judge and jury know the truth that society wins. Each time the lawyer uses talents and skills to pollute the courtroom with a lie, either explicit or implicit, the lawyer has intentionally diminished the chances that individual justice will be done. Thus society loses.34"

Ethereal
The First Gentleman will not the running the show at the White House next January, Hillary will.

Yea, but according to Broaddrick, Hillary knew of the rape and helped Bill cover it up by using intimidation tactics.

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Interestingly enough, my response had nothing to do with you, both today and yesterday. Although your initial response to my post in this thread was quite trollish, although that's par for the course at this point.

But my first response in this thread was directed to Crepitus. Was it not?

Yea, like, sheesh.

Silly season.

ripmeister
10-11-2016, 09:35 PM

No defense attorney is obligated to take a case. Defending someone you know is guilty is an absolute scumbag move. She has literally zero morals or character. The victim was a kid for $#@!s sake. She's slime.

i don't think that's true. I saw an interview with the prosecuting attorney in that case and he said she was assigned to the case without choice and that in fact she asked to be removed but they wouldn't allow it. I have a friend who is a criminal attorney and his response would be that in our system it is incumbent on the defense attorney to give a vigorous defense or they can be sanctioned by the bar even to the point of disbarment.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:36 PM
But my first response in this thread was directed to @Crepitus (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1345). Was it not?

This is what I mean by intentionally vague pot shots. If you're going to throw shots, at least be a man about it.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:38 PM
i don't think that's true. I saw an interview with the prosecuting attorney in that case and he said she was assigned to the case without choice and that in fact she asked to be removed but they wouldn't allow it. I have a friend who is a criminal attorney and his response would be that in our system it is incumbent on the defense attorney to give a vigorous defense or they can be sanctioned by the bar even to the point of disbarment.

Attorneys have denied cases before. In any case, regardless of the circumstance, defending a brutal criminal who you know is guilty, who committed said heinous crime to a child no less, is highly immoral behavior, in my opinion.

ripmeister
10-11-2016, 09:38 PM

Educate yourself.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Educate yourself.

I'm plenty educated on the matter.

Safety
10-11-2016, 09:42 PM
This is what I mean by intentionally vague pot shots. If you're going to throw shots, at least be a man about it.

Yea, it's called showing how ridiculous a statement can be. Still, wasn't addressing you.

ripmeister
10-11-2016, 09:42 PM

It isn't reprehensible whatsoever. It is actually a tremendous service to the cause of personal liberty, which holds that no person can be justly imprisoned without undergoing a fair trial, with effective legal representation. If the government cannot prove their case, that is because they have failed to make a compelling one, and reason holds that the defendant should be set free, as they are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

would you please stop. You are making too much sense pointing out one of the bedrocks of,our society.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Yea, it's called showing how ridiculous a statement can be. Still, wasn't addressing you.

Sure you were.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:44 PM
would you please stop. You are making too much sense pointing out one of the bedrocks of,our society.

Again, you're conflating defense and defending someone you know is guilty. Not the same thing.

ripmeister
10-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Im not sure about this but I think at some point after this case in which she did the job she was compelled,to do she set up a rape crisis help line system in Arkansas.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Im not sure about this but I think at some point after this case in which she did the job she was compelled,to do she set up a rape crisis help line system in Arkansas.

It was too late for that 12 year old girl at that point, sadly.

HoneyBadger
10-11-2016, 09:47 PM

What is heroic about trying to blame the 12 year old victim by suggesting she wanted to be raped?

ripmeister
10-11-2016, 09:48 PM
You are speculating that she knew the guy was guilty, and you have yet to account for the fact that every single person, regardless of their alleged crime, deserves effective legal representation. Somebody will have to provide it.

I forget the legal term but better that 10 guilty go free than one innocent lose their liberty.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:48 PM
What is heroic about trying to blame the 12 year old victim by suggesting she wanted to be raped?

Nothing. It's completely reprehensible. The attempts to dismiss it by chalking it up to being standard protocol in the occupation aren't a sufficient excuse, either.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:51 PM
I forget the legal term but better that 10 guilty go free than one innocent lose their liberty.

That's a completely fine and valid philosophical point of view that I happen to agree with. I don't have an issue with her defending someone accused of rape, I have an issue with her defending someone she actually thought was guilty of the accused brutal crime. It's not the same thing, not even in the same hemisphere.

HoneyBadger
10-11-2016, 09:54 PM

It's called Blackstone's ratio.

HoneyBadger
10-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Nothing. It's completely reprehensible. The attempts to dismiss it by chalking it up to being standard protocol in the occupation aren't a sufficient excuse, either.

When you're dealing with an adult woman, her history and mental state are fair game to a point but it doesn't outweigh physical evidence. When you're dealing with a child, it's rape any way you look at it. Hillary was more than willing to further violate a little girl in order to get her client, who she knew was guilty, off the hook. There's nothing ethical or moral about that.

del
10-11-2016, 09:57 PM
so if an attorney thinks a client is guilty, defending that client is reprehensible?

unreal

ripmeister
10-11-2016, 09:57 PM
It's called Blackstone's ratio.

Thankyou for that. Did I get the ratio right?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:58 PM
so if an attorney thinks a client is guilty, defending that client is reprehensible?

unreal

Yes, it speaks to the attorneys morals. It's pretty obvious as to why that would be, but don't hurt yourself too hard thinking it over.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 09:59 PM
When you're dealing with an adult woman, her history and mental state are fair game to a point but it doesn't outweigh physical evidence. When you're dealing with a child, it's rape any way you look at it. Hillary was more than willing to further violate a little girl in order to get her client, who she knew was guilty, off the hook. There's nothing ethical or moral about that.

Of course. You'd hope that perspective would be a given with everyone, but Clinton needs to be defended at any cost, it would seem....

del
10-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Yes, it speaks to the attorneys morals. It's pretty obvious as to why that would be, but don't hurt yourself too hard thinking it over.

it's about the most stupid thing i've heard this week; i'm not surprised you're a proponent.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:05 PM
it's about the most stupid thing i've heard this week; i'm not surprised you're a proponent.

Again, you're not that bright, so your insults and opinions don't mean much.

del
10-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Again, you're not that bright, so your insults and opinions don't mean much.

i know

that's why you never fail to respond, right?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:08 PM
i know

that's why you never fail to respond, right?

Got some time to kill, might as well give you some excitement. Lord knows your day doesn't get any better than internet back and forths. You're welcome.

exploited
10-11-2016, 10:10 PM

Not what actually happened, but at this point, I'm not very willing to continue to point out the various assumptions and factual errors being made by the weak adversarialists here.

Needless to say, all people who take on a client like that are doing a great and fundamental service to the country, and the principles embedded in the Constitution.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Sure you were.

Oh, so you're a mind reader now....

del
10-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Got some time to kill, might as well give you some excitement. Lord knows your day doesn't get any better than internet back and forths. You're welcome.

slow night with the squeegee?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:12 PM
Oh, so you're a mind reader now....

Who else, pray tell, would have you been referring too. Who else was making that case in the thread?

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Damn, now it's del 2.3.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:14 PM
slow night with the squeegee?

Just being nice, making the day of a mentally handicap elderly person with some back and forth. Call it voluntary community service.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Who else, pray tell, would have you been referring too. Who else was making that case in the thread?

Did I quote you in that post? Then I was not addressing you. If I'm holding a conversation in public and I am not speaking to you, what right do you have to butt into my conversation because you "think" I may be talking about you? Zero.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:16 PM
Just being nice, making the day of a mentally handicap elderly person with some back and forth. Call it voluntary community service.

Awww, making ageist and mental jokes now? I guess you really are "taking out the trash".... :rollseyes:

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Awww, making ageist and mental jokes now? I guess you really are "taking out the trash".... :rollseyes:

Hey, if you use the elderly card another 2475 times on here, it will match the amount of times you've used the race card. Get to work, times a wastin.'

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Did I quote you in that post? Then I was not addressing you. If I'm holding a conversation in public and I am not speaking to you, what right do you have to butt into my conversation because you "think" I may be talking about you? Zero.

I was literally the only person in the thread making the case. You were clearly referring to me. The vague pot shots are bad enough, now you're denying it? Grow a spine.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Hey, if you use the elderly card another 2475 times on here, it will match the amount of times you've used the race card. Get to work, times a wastin.'

Hey, there's a guilt ridden white lib that would probably give a damn walking by, why don't you tell him how great Trump is? Make sure you grip the handles on the buckets you are carrying tightly so they don't slip.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I was literally the only person in the thread making the case. You were clearly referring to me. The vague pot shots are bad enough, now you're denying it? Grow a spine.

Feeling drafty in here without your victim cape to keep you comfortable?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Feeling drafty in here without your victim cape to keep you comfortable? I don't really care, but have some level of integrity. Who do you think you're kidding? Grow a set. The potshot stuff is embarrassing. If you're going to say something, say it.

del
10-11-2016, 10:29 PM

i didn't think peter was that old

what a good boy you are

del
10-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Feeling drafty in here without your victim cape to keep you comfortable?

I don't really care, but have some level of integrity. Who do you think you're kidding? Grow a set. The potshot stuff is embarrassing. If you're going to say something, say it.

yeah, that's really hard to decipher

:rofl:

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Hey, there's a guilt ridden white lib that would probably give a damn walking by, why don't you tell him how great Trump is? Make sure you grip the handles on the buckets you are carrying tightly so they don't slip.

Right after you shill for the candidate who has played an integral part in destroying your community. At least you know your place.

The Xl
yeah, that's really hard to decipher

:rofl:

Talking about how he takes his initial shots. Keep up.

del
Right after you shill for the candidate who has played an integral part in destroying your community. At least you know your place.

feels good to take off the mask, doesn't it?

del
10-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Talking about him he takes his initial shots. Keep up.

sure, kid.

lol

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:34 PM

I'm not the one indirectly shilling for the candidate who has destroyed the black community. That's you clowns.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:34 PM
I don't really care, but have some level of integrity. Who do you think you're kidding? Grow a set. The potshot stuff is embarrassing. If you're going to say something, say it.

lawz.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:35 PM
I'm not the one indirectly shilling for the candidate who has destroyed the black community. That's you clowns.

"destroyed the black community".... :biglaugh:

engage them enough and watch the emotional plea come to light....

black community...whoa!

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:35 PM
lawz.
Del tier posting. You're on fire.

del
10-11-2016, 10:36 PM

no, you're the one congratulating the black guy for knowing his place.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:37 PM

Funny isn't ain't it. Guess I betsta knows my plase, eh massa? Can't get too uppity around some folks, they likes to reminds ya where your level is.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Who said anything about race? Way to play the race card.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:38 PM

Wait for the "are you calling me a racist" comment any second now....

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Funny isn't ain't it. Guess I betsta knows my plase, eh massa? Can't get too uppity around some folks, they likes to reminds ya where your level is.

That's number 2476 on this site. You're on quite the roll.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:39 PM

"my community" Bocephus?

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:40 PM

Must be two posters using the same screen name then, right? I mean...who brought race into the thread?

Seriously?

QFD.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:40 PM
"my community" Bocephus?

Asserting that you're supporting the candidate who has wrecked your community isn't racist, it's a fact. She and her husband have.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:42 PM

Must be two posters using the same screen name then, right? I mean...who brought race into the thread?

Seriously?

QFD.

How is merely bringing up race in a discussion racist? It's not.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 10:42 PM

Okay, so now you are saying it is "heroic" to defend child rapists so they can stay out of prison and be free to victimize even more children.

I am not even sure what to say to that.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Asserting that you're supporting the candidate who has wrecked your community isn't racist, it's a fact. She and her husband have.

How about you try to stop digging this hole? It's late and you have not the slightest clue as to what the f you are saying.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:45 PM

How is merely bringing up race in a discussion racist? It's not.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:48 PM
How about you try to stop digging this hole? It's late and you have not the slightest clue as to what the f you are saying.
No one is digging a hole, you're just playing the race card, per usual. I can criticize you for supporting someone who has damaged the black community without it being racist. You claim to care about it, support BLM on the premise, pointing out evident hypocrisy is a perfectly valid point.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 10:49 PM
Your total lack of knowledge of our legal system it is obvious. Go read a damn book and quit soap box philosophizing.

Jim, are you saying she did NOT defend a child rapist she knew was guilty?

Cletus
10-11-2016, 10:51 PM

Do you understand the difference between "legal representation" and trying to help someone get away with a crime?

Safety
No one is digging a hole, you're just playing the race card, per usual. I can criticize you for supporting someone who has damaged the black community without it being racist. You claim to care about it, support BLM on the premise, pointing out evident hypocrisy is a perfectly valid point.

First, learn the difference between supporting, defending, and pointing out hypocrisy, then come back and try to lecture me.

The Xl

Race in the context to dels response. He said that the phrase not knowing your place was racist. I was not using that phrase as a racial jab.

del
Do you understand the difference between "legal representation" and trying to help someone get away with a crime?

you seem to be the one struggling with the concept

del
10-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Race in the context to dels response. He said that the phrase not knowing your place was racist. I was not using that phrase as a racial jab.

sure

Cletus
10-11-2016, 10:53 PM
you seem to be the one struggling with the concept

I understand it perfectly.

I know you don't understand much, but I will try to explain it to you if you wish.

Safety

"YOU" said my community. "YOU" said the black community. "YOU" brought race into this thread.

So, we have an ad hom attempt, then a credibility attempt, and finally a misunderstanding attempt in the same conversation.

The Xl
sure
I have literally zero past history of any racist statements or insinuations. You're not going to pin that shit on me.

exploited
10-11-2016, 10:54 PM
Okay, so now you are saying it is "heroic" to defend child rapists so they can stay out of prison and be free to victimize even more children.

I am not even sure what to say to that.

You can say something like "I'm way out of my element, and have literally zero understanding of the adversarial legal system, the differences between weak and strong adversarialism, or the judicial underpinnings of Western common and statutory law."

All defense attorneys are "trying to help someone get away with a crime," if you have decided to presume guilt without the verdict of a trial by ones peers. It is the nature of the job. Put on your big boy pants and get over it.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:55 PM
"YOU" said my community. "YOU" said the black community. "YOU" brought race into this thread.

So, we have an ad hom attempt, then a credibility attempt, and finally a misunderstanding attempt in the same conversation.

But I will say this...this is exactly the reason why when cigar gets chastised for his shit I chime in, because evidently many people here don't remember the words they post after they post them.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 10:55 PM

Race had absolutely nothing to do with the statement I made, which is what del tried to pin on me. That's what the response was to. If that wasn't clear then, hopefully it is now.

HoneyBadger
10-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Not what actually happened,

It is what actually happened. She asked the court to have the 12 year old undergo a psychiatric exam because she said she had "heard" that the victim fantasized about older men.

A 12 year old child who was given alcohol by a 42 year old man before she was raped.

It doesn't matter what the state of mind was of the 12 year old. Clinton was deliberately trying to muddy the waters and engaged in victim shaming of a child who was below the age of consent (16) in Arkansas.

Safety
10-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Race had absolutely nothing to do with the statement I made, which is what del tried to pin on me. That's what the response was to. If that wasn't clear then, hopefully it is now.

.....are you going to sit there and say that when you said to me "my community", "black community", you were not intending to have anything to do with race?

Is that what you are saying?

Cletus
10-11-2016, 10:58 PM
You can say something like "I'm way out of my element, and have literally zero understanding of the adversarial legal system, the differences between weak and strong adversarialism, or the judicial underpinnings of Western common and statutory law."

I really don't need advice or instruction from anyone who wants child rapists to get away with their crimes.

Begone.

exploited
10-11-2016, 11:02 PM
I really don't need advice or instruction from anyone who wants child rapists to get away with their crimes.

Begone.

And I don't need advice or instruction from a person who has called for police officers to execute detained suspects, and then has the gall to ever talk about justice as if he has any idea whatsoever what he is talking about. You are a prime example of a person who needs to be sent to a work camp in North Korea so you can get a taste of the judicial system you so desire.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 11:03 PM
.....are you going to sit there and say that when you said to me "my community", "black community", you were not intending to have anything to do with race?

I brought your hypocrisy up about supporting a candidate who has hurt the black community. You talk up BLM and all this other stuff, defend it and whatnot, and that's fine, but I consider it hypocritical. So yes, I brought up race, but race had nothing to do with my know your place comment. Del asserted that it did, my who said anything about race comments were directed at dels accusation.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 11:04 PM

Race had nothing to do with my know your place comment. That was not intended to be a racist comment. Other than that, yes, I obviously brought up race.

Safety
10-11-2016, 11:04 PM
It's sad when partisanship has affected how some view the legal system. The right to an attorney be damned, I guess.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 11:08 PM
It's sad when partisanship has affected how some view the legal system. The right to an attorney be damned, I guess.

Who here has said people don't or should not have a right to legal counsel?

Please name them and provide supporting quotes.

exploited
10-11-2016, 11:08 PM
It is what actually happened. She asked the court to have the 12 year old undergo a psychiatric exam because she said she had "heard" that the victim fantasized about older men.

A 12 year old child who was given alcohol by a 42 year old man before she was raped.

It doesn't matter what the state of mind was of the 12 year old. Clinton was deliberately trying to muddy the waters and engaged in victim shaming of a child who was below the age of consent (16) in Arkansas.

You are leaving out the part where it was established that this girl had made false accusations of physical assaults in the past. Whoops.

In any case, as supposedly unpleasant as it is, she defended her client well and properly, within the boundaries of the law, which is her ethical responsibility as a defense attorney.

This "victim shaming" bit is cute though. There is nothing "shameful" about a psychiatric evaluation. It isn't like she got tortured - she had a talk with a psychiatrist, which in the long run, was probably a good thing for her mental health.

Safety
10-11-2016, 11:10 PM
Who here has said people don't or should not have a right to legal counsel?

Please name them and provide supporting quotes.

Who here has said that someone has said that people don't or shouldn't have a right to legal counsel? Post the quotes, please.

Safety
10-11-2016, 11:12 PM
You are leaving out the part where it was established that this girl had made false accusations of physical assaults in the past. Whoops.

In any case, as unpleasant as it is, she defended her client well and properly, within the boundaries of the law, which is her ethical responsibility as a defense attorney.

This "victim shaming" bit is cute though. There is nothing "shameful" about a psychiatric evaluation. It isn't like she got tortured - she had a talk with a psychiatrist, which in the long run, was probably a good thing for her mental health.

Dude, they want you to re argue the case, because it is all they have to talk about. She was a defense attorney defending a client, the end. They want some sort of moral outrage in this case, but could not give a rat's ass about the millions of defense attorneys around the world that defend the scum of the earth as their job.

I would let them argue among themselves.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 11:13 PM
Who here has said that someone has said that people don't or shouldn't have a right to legal counsel? Post the quotes, please.

What did you mean by this?

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 11:13 PM
First of all this all happened 40+ years ago and no one here has anymore information than the ad hom internet stuff. She was assigned a case to defend, she did. She fulfilled her obligation as a defense attorney and an officer of the court. You don't like how it came out consider how many didn't like the OJ verdict, the Zimmerman outcome and many others not popular but one common thread runs between them all, the attorneys did their jobs as they were chartered to do. End of subject.

exploited
10-11-2016, 11:16 PM
Dude, they want you to re argue the case, because it is all they have to talk about. She was a defense attorney defending a client, the end. They want some sort of moral outrage in this case, but could not give a rat's ass about the millions of defense attorneys around the world that defend the scum of the earth as their job.

I would let them argue among themselves.

I can't speak to HoneyBadger, I don't know anything about him and haven't really interacted with him in the past. But I do know this about Cletus: he absolutely despises the Western justice system. One of our first interactions here, he said, in plain English, that violent suspects who are detained and no longer a threat should be executed by the police on the spot. So I think his issues are much greater than simple partisanship: he is literally a fascist.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 11:18 PM
I can't speak to HoneyBadger, I don't know anything about him and haven't really interacted with him in the past. But I do know this about Cletus: he absolutely despises the Western justice system. One of our first interactions here, he said, in plain English, that violent suspects who are detained and no longer a threat should be executed by the police on the spot. So I think his issues are much greater than simple partisanship: he is literally a fascist.

I am not supposed to call you an idiot because it is offensive to idiots. So, I won't.

Safety
10-11-2016, 11:19 PM
What did you mean by this?

Gideon v. Wainwright established the right to an attorney in '63, and although a person accused of a crime must be provided a lawyer at trial, many states still lack comprehensive and adequate programs for providing representation. Thusly, the more money you have, the better chances you have at trial.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Gideon v. Wainwright established the right to an attorney in '63, and although a person accused of a crime must be provided a lawyer at trial, many states still lack comprehensive and adequate programs for providing representation. Thusly, the more money you have, the better chances you have at trial.

Uh huh... What does that have to with partisanship?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 11:21 PM
No one is saying that the guy doesn't have a right to an attorney. But she didn't need to be the one to take the case, especially considering the fact that she thought he was guilty.

exploited
10-11-2016, 11:22 PM
I am not supposed to call you an idiot because it is offensive to idiots. So, I won't.

Another good one little buddy! Did you learn these killer insults while cooking potatoes in the military?

Safety
10-11-2016, 11:23 PM
Uh huh... What does that have to with partisanship?

Read the comments in this thread....basically, everything.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Another good one little buddy! Did you learn these killer insults while cooking potatoes in the military?

Are you sure you want to go there?

Cletus
10-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Read the comments in this thread....basically, everything.

The thread has too much bullshit in to to take the time to wade through it.

You made a comment and I asked you to explain it. If you don't want to do so or can't do so, that's okay.

Safety
10-11-2016, 11:26 PM
No one is saying that the guy doesn't have a right to an attorney. But she didn't need to be the one to take the case, especially considering the fact that she thought he was guilty.

In 1975, Hillary Clinton — then known as Hillary Rodham — taught at the University of Arkansas School of Law, where she founded the University of Arkansas School Legal Aid Clinic. It was during this time that she defended Thomas Alfred Taylor, a 41-year-old man accused of raping a 12-year-old girl.
In her book “Living History,” Clinton recalls that Mahlon Gibson, a Washington County prosecutor, told her that the accused rapist “wanted a woman lawyer” to defend him, and that Gibson had recommended Clinton to Judge Maupin Cummings. “I told Mahlon I really didn’t feel comfortable taking on such a client, but Mahlon gently reminded me that I couldn’t very well refuse the judge’s request.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/25/prosecutor-in-controversial-case-says-clinton-had-no-choice-but-to-defend-rapist/

Let's put this one to rest already.

exploited
10-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Are you sure you want to go there?

Yeah, sorry, my bad. I meant to say "did you learn these killer insults while burning the latrine sh*t out back?"

Safety
10-11-2016, 11:27 PM
The thread has too much bullshit in to to take the time to wade through it.

You made a comment and I asked you to explain it. If you don't want to do so or can't do so, that's okay.

No, you are trying to obfuscate because you know I'm right. You're better than that, tighten up.

Ethereal
10-11-2016, 11:28 PM

I don't have a problem with her taking the case and defending her client. The problem is when that defense does not rely solely on fact, evidence, and the law, but rather "sophistry and prevarication", as John Adams called it.

In other words, even a child rapist is entitled to a defense, but the defense should be characterized by honesty and integrity, not a self-serving desire to "win" at all costs.

exploited
10-11-2016, 11:29 PM
No, you are trying to obfuscate because you know I'm right. You're better than that, tighten up.

Hasn't there been enough factually incorrect comments in this thread? Shame on you.

Cletus
10-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Yeah, sorry, my bad. I meant to say "did you learn these killer insults while burning the latrine shit out back?"

Okay.

Fortunately for you, the forum has rules and the internet provides you with limited anonymity that allows you to pretend to be brave.

exploited
10-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Okay.

Fortunately for you, the forum has rules and the internet provides you with limited anonymity that allows you to pretend to be brave.

Why, do you want to assault me now?

Another example of your finely-tuned sense of justice: getting mocked on the internet warrants physical violence.

Good one little buddy!

The Xl
10-11-2016, 11:40 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/25/prosecutor-in-controversial-case-says-clinton-had-no-choice-but-to-defend-rapist/

Let's put this one to rest already.

To put one's career over a child is still pretty scummy. She had a moral choice, but chose career gain over basic morality. Sounds like not much has changed over the last 40 years.

Tahuyaman
10-11-2016, 11:40 PM

uh.... Ok....

The Xl
10-11-2016, 11:41 PM
I don't have a problem with her taking the case and defending her client. The problem is when that defense does not rely solely on fact, evidence, and the law, but rather "sophistry and prevarication", as John Adams called it.

In other words, even a child rapist is entitled to a defense, but the defense should be characterized by honesty and integrity, not a self-serving desire to "win" at all costs.

She thought the guy was guilty, it's not that much of a surprise that she would have to resort to less than honest tactics to get him off the hook.

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 11:44 PM
She thought the guy was guilty, it's not that much of a surprise that she would have to resort to less than honest tactics to get him off the hook.Oh for chrissake go to bed. You will never understand the issue.

The Xl
10-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Oh for chrissake go to bed. You will never understand the issue.

Can you go even one post without shilling?

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 11:54 PM
Can you go even one post without shilling?I've posted them all day. You get your "widdle feewings hurted"?

The Xl
10-11-2016, 11:58 PM
I've posted them all day. You get your "widdle feewings hurted"?

All you've done all day.....is shill for Hillary.

Hurt my feelings? Dude, you're irrelevant.

AZ Jim
10-11-2016, 11:59 PM
All you've done all day.....is shill for Hillary.

Hurt my feelings? Dude, you're irrelevant.Then you can quit wasting my time, lightweight.

The Xl
10-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Then you can quit wasting my time, lightweight.

You're the one who started the conversation with me, genius. Your age related cognitive issues are flaring up right now, it would seem.

Bethere
10-12-2016, 02:35 AM

Toilets are always the last to know, Pete.

Tahuyaman
10-12-2016, 02:20 PM

I can't condemn her for doing a job she was assigned to do. Even the most despicable are entitled to a defense. It can be legit to condemn the way she defended him, but I don't know if that's the case there.

Criticizing her on the way she responded to the accusers of her husband does expose her character. That is a legit issue in a presidential election.

PolWatch
10-12-2016, 02:34 PM
If I had been faced with a similar situation what would I do? If I decided to stay with my husband, those loyalties would take precedence over my feminist side. Family first....those hussy's could fend for themselves! :wink:

ripmeister
10-12-2016, 02:43 PM
She thought the guy was guilty, it's not that much of a surprise that she would have to resort to less than honest tactics to get him off the hook.

I would encourage you to try and find some information on the prosecuting attorney in this case and his comments on the case and Hillary. I think it might change your mind. CNN did two bio shows, one on Trump and one on Clinton that I thought were very good. If you have OD you should be able to find them. One portion of the Clinton show was on this topic and listening to the Prosecutors comments was eye opening for me. In situation like this where so much of the rhetoric is vitriolic and basically at the level of urban myth after so many years I find it good to try and go back to primary sources to get the real story. It does take some work though.