PDA

View Full Version : 5 Life Advantages You Acquire From Experiencing Poverty

coolwalker
10-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Ever heard those “I had to walk five miles to school in the snow, uphill, both ways” stories from your parents? I have, too. Of course, my father’s stories were real. He grew up poor. Very poor. Like, soda and peanut butter were considered luxuries poor. Like, wearing clothes with holes in them that two of his brothers had already grown out of poor. Like putting feathers in a corncob and tossing it in the air so he had something to play with because his parents couldn’t afford to buy him any toys poor.

read more: http://www.rightwingnews.com/john-hawkins/5-life-advantages-you-acquire-from-experiencing-poverty/

roadmaster
10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
To be honest I had to walk 5 miles to school and back (not up hill) flat land.:grin:

My Mother grew up with no indoor plumbing in a very small house with 8 kids, she was the youngest and they all worked the fields. Granddad had one mule to plow the fields.

My Dad better off they did have indoor plumbing but also worked the fields with 7 kids and took in two that had no family.

Toys, both my parents had none except my mom a passing ex- soldier made her a doll out of corn skulk.

Nope, kids today have no idea what it was like. But we did have one thing most don't. Appreciation of family and good stories to pass down.

coolwalker
10-11-2012, 12:52 PM
To be honest I had to walk 5 miles to school and back (not up hill) flat land.:grin:

My Mother grew up with no indoor plumbing in a very small house with 8 kids, she was the youngest and they all worked the fields. Granddad had one mule to plow the fields.

My Dad better off they did have indoor plumbing but also worked the fields with 7 kids and took in two that had no family.

Toys, both my parents had none except my mom a passing ex- soldier made her a doll out of corn skulk.

Nope, kids today have no idea what it was like. But we did have one thing most don't. Appreciation of family and good stories to pass down.

How right you are! Now you are in a different place from where you started and you did it yourself...not the government as claimed by Obama.

roadmaster
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
How right you are! Now you are in a different place from where you started and you did it yourself...not the government as claimed by Obama.

No the government didn't help us. I worked going to college. All my uncles were drafted and they all worked for a living, even the one that came back with one arm.

coolwalker
10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
No the government didn't help us. I worked going to college. All my uncles were drafted and they all worked for a living, even the one that came back with one arm.

Bravo! :icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers: Wonder why Cigar hasn't chimed in with some dumb cartoon.