PDA

View Full Version : Basket height of hoop

AZ Jim
10-22-2016, 01:06 PM
In 1891 when basketball was invented the average player was 5"6" tall and the basket was at 10'. Today's players AVERAGE height is 6'7" with the hoop at 10'. It seems too me the game has turned into a jump contest instead of a skill game. I believe the game would be more like it's originator envisioned if we boosted the hoop to 13'. Thoughts?

The Xl
10-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Bumping the hoop to 13 feet would take the dynamic athletic highlights out of the game.

AZ Jim
10-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Bumping the hoop to 13 feet would take the dynamic athletic highlights out of the game.Which means you prefer to nod to the superior height and jumping ability to the original idea of skill in shooting. I disagree.

Chris
10-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Bumping the hoop to 13 feet would take the dynamic athletic highlights out of the game.

Another way to put that is raising the hoop would lower the points and take excitement out of the game.

Chris
10-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Which means you prefer to nod to the superior height and jumping ability to the original idea of skill in shooting. I disagree.

So your aim is to level the playing field?

AZ Jim
10-22-2016, 01:54 PM
So your aim is to level the playing field?My goal is to return the game to it's original concept. Players on the court for the most part attempting to avoid interference while shooting for a basket. Exactly as the game was intended. Start another game if all you want is giants jumping and dunking. A low scoring game featuring superior defense is as thrilling as seeing the points stack up.

The Xl
10-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Which means you prefer to nod to the superior height and jumping ability to the original idea of skill in shooting. I disagree.

Steph Curry is a slightly above average athlete(By NBA standards) and is completely dominating the game because of his God tier shooting ability. There have been more jump shooting Power Forwards and Centers now than in any other time in NBA history. Coaches are spreading the floor and taking threes at an unprecedented clip. The jump shot is more used now than in any other time in history.

Standing Wolf
10-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Despite having been born and spent my first eighteen years of life in Indiana - where basketball is the official State religion, I think - I know virtually nothing about the game and have never been a fan...so I'm just throwing this out there as more of a question than anything else.

Haven't the score totals of games increased dramatically in the modern era? It would make sense, would it not, if increased player height has, in some respects, made the game "easier"? I have no idea what kind of scores professional basketball games showed in, say, the '50s, but when I hear the basketball scores on the radio sports reports today, it seems as though a team rarely scores fewer than a hundred points, even when they lose.

I have some old score cards from when my father played high school ball in Indiana in the late '40s. (One of their rival schools was Fairmount, whose basketball team had a glasses-wearing player named Dean, James on their roster.) The final scores of a lot of those games were something like 22-16, or 30-24. As I say, I don't know whether pro basketball games of that era had much lower scores than they do now, but it stands to reason that they would have.

Since my orientation and perspective, in terms of sports, is exclusively as a Baseball fan - where scoring more than about 20 of anything is a rarity - it occurs to me that a game where it is common to the point of being normal for both teams to score in triple digits may have, for whatever reason, outgrown its physical parameters and gotten too easy.

AZ Jim
10-22-2016, 02:21 PM
I respect all forms of offense except some giant with a thyroid condition jumping only one foot and stuffing the basket. Think about it. a 6'7" player with an additional 3' of arm length can reach almost 10' WITHOUT even jumping.

AZ Jim
10-22-2016, 02:25 PM
Despite having been born and spent my first eighteen years of life in Indiana - where basketball is the official State religion, I think - I know virtually nothing about the game and have never been a fan...so I'm just throwing this out there as more of a question than anything else.

Haven't the score totals of games increased dramatically in the modern era? It would make sense, would it not, if increased player height has, in some respects, made the game "easier"? I have no idea what kind of scores professional basketball games showed in, say, the '50s, but when I hear the basketball scores on the radio sports reports today, it seems as though a team rarely scores fewer than a hundred points, even when they lose.

I have some old score cards from when my father played high school ball in Indiana in the late '40s. (One of their rival schools was Fairmount, whose basketball team had a glasses-wearing player named Dean, James on their roster.) The final scores of a lot of those games were something like 22-16, or 30-24. As I say, I don't know whether pro basketball games of that era had much lower scores than they do now, but it stands to reason that they would have.

Since my orientation and perspective, in terms of sports, is exclusively as a Baseball fan - where scoring more than about 20 of anything is a rarity - it occurs to me that a game where it is common to the point of being normal for both teams to score in triple digits may have, for whatever reason, outgrown its physical parameters and gotten too easy. The three point line and the dunk have elevated the scores but in my view (as to the dunk) taken much of the skill out of it.

hanger4
10-22-2016, 02:27 PM

Since my orientation and perspective, in terms of sports, is exclusively as a Baseball fan - where scoring more than about 20 of anything is a rarity - it occurs to me that a game where it is common to the point of being normal for both teams to score in triple digits may have, for whatever reason, outgrown its physical parameters and gotten too easy.

I think the shot clock had more to do with the higher scores.

waltky
10-22-2016, 04:24 PM
possum thinks dey should set it at 3 feet.

Axiomatic
10-22-2016, 06:55 PM
What about baseball, do you want them to go back to running clockwise?

Axiomatic
10-22-2016, 07:18 PM
No wait, that was stupid. You're talking about changing the rules, not reverting to old ones.
I know! You could make it to where only midgets are allowed to play. Today's midgets could probably beat most of the 1891 players...
But then, don't they already have a league where they play in wheel-chairs. There should be some shooting glory in that one.

Bethere
10-23-2016, 12:16 AM
Scoring, even with the 3 pt shot and the shot clock, is down, not up. Compared to when I was growing up in the 70s, this is the golden age of defense.

So the average team score in 2014 was 100.46 pts. In 1961, it was 118.80 -- 18.34 pts more than today.

1979-80
NBA

1978-79
NBA

1977-78
NBA

1976-77
NBA

1975-76
NBA

1974-75
NBA

1973-74
NBA

1972-73
NBA

1971-72
NBA

1970-71
NBA

1969-70
NBA

1968-69
NBA

1967-68
NBA

1966-67
NBA

1965-66
NBA

1964-65
NBA

1963-64
NBA

1962-63
NBA

1961-62
NBA

1960-61
NBA

1959-60
NBA

Tahuyaman
10-23-2016, 01:20 AM
The only thing I would do to improve the game is go back to a time when traveling was called.

JDubya
10-23-2016, 05:03 PM
My goal is to return the game to it's original concept. Players on the court for the most part attempting to avoid interference while shooting for a basket. Exactly as the game was intended. Start another game if all you want is giants jumping and dunking. A low scoring game featuring superior defense is as thrilling as seeing the points stack up.

In 1891 they used a peach basket instead of a net, too.

Back then, basketball was not a multi billion dollar spectator sport either.

In fact, it was not a spectator sport at all. It was just a game that young men got together and played for fun and friendly competition.

Things change. The game has changed. The world has changed.

Few people today would sit for two and a half hours in front of the TV or pack 20,000 seat arenas at $50 per ticket, to watch a shooting contest.

Maybe golf fans would. Anyone who'd waste an afternoon watching that boring crap on TV would probably watch paint dry.

Ethereal
10-23-2016, 05:11 PM
They should make the players run around with blindfolds and leg bindings so that only the true zen masters would prosper.

Peter1469
10-23-2016, 05:59 PM
I can shoot well even at half court.

But I can't jump.

MRogersNhood
10-23-2016, 06:00 PM
In 1891 when basketball was invented the average player was 5"6" tall and the basket was at 10'. Today's players AVERAGE height is 6'7" with the hoop at 10'. It seems too me the game has turned into a jump contest instead of a skill game. I believe the game would be more like it's originator envisioned if we boosted the hoop to 13'. Thoughts?

10' is regulation.The hoop height should be 10'.
Why would an 80+ year old man even be thinking about Basketball?
You gonna go play with the fellas or something?
Set a pick?

AZ Jim
10-23-2016, 06:02 PM
10' is regulation.The hoop height should be 10'.
Why would an 80+ year old man even be thinking about Basketball?
You gonna go play with the fellas or something?
Set a pick?What the hell is wrong with you? Go the fuck away pest.

MRogersNhood
10-23-2016, 06:06 PM
What the hell is wrong with you? Go the $#@! away pest.

I don't like being lied to and I know you are lying.That's what's wrong with me.
I'll lay back and let you hang yourself;watch.
Answer the question:Why would someone over 80+ years old be worrying about Basketball hoop heights?
I'll do it for you:They wouldn't,ever!

AZ Jim
10-23-2016, 06:08 PM
I don't like being lied to and I know you are lying.That's what's wrong with me.
Answer the question:Why would someone over 80+ years old be worrying about Basketball hoop heights?
I'll do it for you:They wouldn't,ever!Listen you kid, what exactly do you think the cutoff age is for enjoying basketball or football? Do you even have a drivers license yet. Jesus, grow up.

decedent
10-23-2016, 06:11 PM
Another way to put that is raising the hoop would lower the points and take excitement out of the game.

You must hate hockey.

Dangermouse
10-23-2016, 06:15 PM
Raising the basket height would mean you could get more deplorables in!

Newpublius
10-23-2016, 06:39 PM

I could play above the rim until back surgery at 42 so I have some bias for 10' because I can dunk 10 and not 13 of course. You'd have to play out the games to see what happens, I suspect it wouldn't really favor the shooters because as you raise the height, the shooters need to arc their shot more and the FG% decrease whereas the former dunkers are just doing layups.

decedent
10-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Maybe 12 is a fair compromise. It won't affect much outside the 3-point arc.

I'll do it for you:They wouldn't,ever!

Troll.

MRogersNhood
10-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Maybe 12 is a fair compromise. It won't affect much outside the 3-point arc.

Troll.

Apparently you can't grasp the fact that no man over even 65 gives a flying flip about Basketball.
Let alone worrying about basket height.
Why would they?
There's no answer to that.

decedent
10-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Apparently you can't grasp the fact that no man over even 65 gives a flying flip about Basketball.
Why would they?

Did Jim dump you, bro? Have a beer, watch the game, and move on.

Ethereal
10-24-2016, 01:48 AM
You must hate hockey.

Lots of basketball fans probably do hate hockey precisely for that reason.

Dangermouse
10-24-2016, 07:33 AM
It's interesting. Is the height change enough to justify a three-foot rise? Women are smaller, but use a ten-foot high hoop to play netball, without needing a back-board to help them.

Standing Wolf
10-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Why would they?

If my father were still living, he'd be 85 next month. He grew up in rural, small-town Indiana, had a basketball hoop on the farm, played basketball at school, had a basketball hoop in the driveway when I was growing up, and watched basketball - college ball in particular - for as long as he lived. You don't lose all interests as you get older. I didn't really get into Baseball until I was 41; that was a bit over twenty years ago, and I'm still emotionally and financially invested in it. If by some miracle I manage not to have assumed room temperature by the time I'm eighty, I hope to still be following my home team and having an opinion on any new tweaks they want to apply to the rules.