PDA

View Full Version : Some anomalies in the polls

pjohns
10-26-2016, 06:57 PM
I saw a poll tonight, on FNC, that shows that Donald Trump is up by 13 points, nationally, among independents; and up by 14 points among whites.

But that same poll shows him down by three points overall.

The former, I suppose, may be explained by the fact that Hillary Clinton is getting a larger percentage of support among Democrats than Donald Trump is with Republicans. (I think the pertinent percentages are 87 percent and 80 percent, respectively.)

Moreover, there are more registered Democrats than registered Republicans.

But I really do not know just how to explain the latter--the fact that Donald Trump is up by 14 points among whites, nationally, but down by three points overall.

Do white people actually form that small a percentage of the electorate?

Thoughts?

Green Arrow
10-26-2016, 08:54 PM
That's probably what it is. In 2012, for example, Romney won whites 59% to just 39% for Obama, a larger margin than Trump is currently getting with whites. President Obama countered that by winning 93% of blacks, 73% of Asians, and 71% of Hispanics, all larger margins than Romney's winning of whites.

It's not that whites are such a small part of the electorate, it's that they are just one part of the electorate.

NapRover
10-26-2016, 09:03 PM
The only polls that matter now are OH, NC, FL and PA

donttread
10-27-2016, 06:38 AM
I saw a poll tonight, on FNC, that shows that Donald Trump is up by 13 points, nationally, among independents; and up by 14 points among whites.

But that same poll shows him down by three points overall.

The former, I suppose, may be explained by the fact that Hillary Clinton is getting a larger percentage of support among Democrats than Donald Trump is with Republicans. (I think the pertinent percentages are 87 percent and 80 percent, respectively.)

Moreover, there are more registered Democrats than registered Republicans.

But I really do not know just how to explain the latter--the fact that Donald Trump is up by 14 points among whites, nationally, but down by three points overall.

Do white people actually form that small a percentage of the electorate?

Thoughts?

Write down the poll numbers for Johnson and Stein. Then check after the election and don't be suprised if those numbers were msteriuosly cut in half and MSM didn't say shit about it,