PDA

View Full Version : Pipeline Is An Example Of A Much Bigger Problem

nic34
10-28-2016, 12:59 PM
I offer Both sides for you to consider:

A. Increased energy independence- a safer way to transport crude.

B. Possible long term water and land contamination. Effects of fossil fuel burning on our air.

http://www.daplpipelinefacts.com/

Increased domestic crude oil production translates into greater energy independence for the United States.

Although the United States is the third-largest producer in the world, we are the number one consumer of crude oil in the world. We need to close the gap between what we produce as a country and what we consume before we can be truly independent of foreign imports. While the U.S. produced 7.5 million barrels of crude oil per day in 2013, it still imported 7.7 million barrels per day in order to meet consumer demands. We need to close the gap between what we produce as a country and what we consume before we can be truly independent of foreign imports. Every barrel of oil produced in the United States directly displaces a barrel of foreign oil.

The Dakota Access Pipeline Is An Example Of A Much Bigger Problem

On Tuesday, Kelcy Warren, CEO of Energy Transfer Projects, the pipeline’s developer, defended the project that will transport oil across 1,200 miles from North Dakota to southern Illinois. In a letter, Warren downplayed its cultural impact and called the protesters’ water safety concerns “unfounded.”

But amid the controversy about the project comes the question of what comes next.

To answer that, we must better understand how we got here in the first place.

Doug Hayes, a staff attorney at the Sierra Club, has been involved with a number of battles over the construction of oil pipelines, including the Keystone XL, which the Obama administration rejected last year.

Hayes sees what’s happening in North Dakota as the latest in a series of recent pipeline projects convened without federal agencies undergoing the necessary environmental review processes. The agencies’ inaction, he argues, has put other communities at risk of oil spills and often threatened the safety of their drinking water sources and local ecosystems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dakota-access-pipeline-protests-water_us_57d85a51e4b0aa4b722d12b1

Peter1469
10-28-2016, 01:05 PM
I am for using everything available. To include renewables. (Just don't listen to the corn lobby.)

Chloe
10-28-2016, 01:28 PM
Against

NapRover
10-28-2016, 01:32 PM
it's going underground. Nobody or no thing will be harmed. Protesters are probably hired by Soros and don't care either way.

Chloe
10-28-2016, 01:35 PM
it's going underground. Nobody or no thing will be harmed. Protesters are probably hired by Soros and don't care either way.

An underground spill can still do plenty of damage

nic34
10-28-2016, 01:38 PM

Yeah, there's no water or anything there.... shuuuurrr....

patrickt
10-28-2016, 01:42 PM
And I thought the "bigger problem" had to do with idiots protesting and the violence entailed. Foolish me.

I vote to have electricity and to drive my car. For what it's worth, although I well aware of the potential risks, I like using fire, too, to cook meals and to heat a cabin. I can see the distant ancestors of today's liberals stomping out fires and demanding that meat be eaten raw.

nic34
10-28-2016, 02:00 PM
And I thought the "bigger problem" had to do with idiots protesting and the violence entailed. Foolish me.

I vote to have electricity and to drive my car. For what it's worth, although I well aware of the potential risks, I like using fire, too, to cook meals and to heat a cabin. I can see the distant ancestors of today's liberals stomping out fires and demanding that meat be eaten raw.

Good ol pat, still taking things to the extreme... Reductio ad absurdum.....

nic34
10-28-2016, 02:07 PM
For the record

On September 4th:

A demonstration against the Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota turned violent on Saturday.

Demonstrators supporting the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe faced off with private security officers from Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners.

Video from the scene showed security officers threatening protesters with dogs.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/04/492625850/dakota-access-pipeline-protests-in-north-dakota-turn-violent

Don
10-28-2016, 02:15 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TsQTGkaiOj0/UNknSa7Eh5I/AAAAAAAABBs/DvF2IIcekq4/s1600/6a00e551eea4f588340167648cfd95970b-800wi.jpg

jimmyz
10-28-2016, 03:01 PM

The oil originated from "underground". The pipeline will not be located as deep as the underground aquifers. Some worms or moles may be killed in the event of a pipeline leak which would be found and repaired anyway.

Newpublius
10-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Against

Are you not going to drive your car tomorrow? Are you not going to take a hot shower? Dishwasher perhaps....

https://www.propublica.org/images/ngen/gypsy_big_image/pipeline_line_map-630x420.gif

Do you see the problem with being against an individual specific pipeline. That's all the gas and oil pipelines in the US today that collectively move the fuel that we need for energy.

Chloe
10-28-2016, 06:28 PM
Are you not going to drive your car tomorrow? Are you not going to take a hot shower? Dishwasher perhaps....

https://www.propublica.org/images/ngen/gypsy_big_image/pipeline_line_map-630x420.gif

Do you see the problem with being against an individual specific pipeline. That's all the gas and oil pipelines in the US today that collectively move the fuel that we need for energy.

I'll ride my bike tomorrow like I typically do and yeah i'll probably shower too, but it looks to me based on that map that this particular pipeline is unnecessary. Hopefully all of those pipelines will run empty one day.

resister
10-28-2016, 07:03 PM
I'll ride my bike tomorrow like I typically do and yeah i'll probably shower too, but it looks to me based on that map that this particular pipeline is unnecessary. Hopefully all of those pipelines will run empty one day. I hope you enjoy living in the stone ages. I am an interested party,
and I think that you need to change the air in your head!Just make sure you use a compressor run on green energy and lubricated with vegetable oil!

exploited
10-28-2016, 07:04 PM
I hope you enjoy living in the stone ages. I am an interested party,
and I think that you need to change the air in your head!Just make sure you use a compressor run on green energy and lubricated with vegetable oil!

You aren't going to get far insulting Chloe dude. Just an FYI.

Also, if you could keep it down, I'd appreciate it.

resister
10-28-2016, 07:07 PM

Also, if you could keep it down, I'd appreciate it. She insulted me first in a previous post.Cant take it don't dish it.

Chloe
10-28-2016, 07:08 PM
She insulted me first in a previous post.Cant take it don't dish it.

I did?

exploited
10-28-2016, 07:11 PM
She insulted me first in a previous post.Cant take it don't dish it.

Are you a pipeline worker or something?

resister
10-28-2016, 07:11 PM
not to mention the many un warrented insults ive received today.When people are civil with me I return the courtesy.Its just like kid rock said"a lot of people poke fun and that's allright,but when I start poking back they get all uptight"

Chloe
10-28-2016, 07:12 PM
not to mention the many un warrented insults ive received today.When people are civil with me I return the courtesy.Its just like kid rock said"a lot of people poke fun and that's allright,but when I start poking back they get all uptight"

When did I insult you?

exploited
10-28-2016, 07:13 PM

I'm sorry people were rude to you. Subdermal, show this guy around a bit, would you?

resister
10-28-2016, 07:14 PM
I did?I refer you to the thread"another leaked email"If we can hit the reset button ,I apologize for the insult

Chloe
10-28-2016, 07:16 PM
I refer you to the thread"another leaked email"If we can hit the reset button ,I apologize for the insult

I insulted Cigar in my comment to you, not you, but sure we can reset.

resister
10-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Sorry guys and gals I was insulted more by others(see the Thread,"The global warming narrative".I guess I took it out on others.Iam sorry Chloe.Ill do my best to be more civil.

exploited
10-28-2016, 07:19 PM
I'm glad this situation has been settled. I was getting really worried there for awhile.

patrickt
10-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Good ol pat, still taking things to the extreme... Reductio ad absurdum.....

That's funny coming from you.
"B. Possible long term water and land contamination. Effects of fossil fuel burning on our air."

I still want electricity and to drive my car. When the nuts come up with some alternative, be sure and let us know.

resister
10-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Sorry guys and gals I was insulted more by others(see the Thread,"The global warming narrative".I guess I took it out on others.Iam sorry Chloe.Ill do my best to be more civil. Actually,i meant to say the thread "why cant they name our enemy"

del
10-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Are you a pipeline worker or something?

related field-stripper

Crepitus
10-28-2016, 07:36 PM

Chloe
10-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Actually,i meant to say the thread "why cant they name our enemy"

If someone is insulting you then you can report it

Private Pickle
10-28-2016, 07:41 PM

Can you cite examples?

Private Pickle
10-28-2016, 07:42 PM

Also, if you could keep it down, I'd appreciate it.

Funny coming from you.

Private Pickle
10-28-2016, 07:43 PM

It's the interwebz. Grow thicker skin.

Crepitus
10-28-2016, 07:44 PM
related field-stripper

A field-stripper? That would be a terrible job, imagine all the mosquito bites!

Private Pickle
10-28-2016, 07:45 PM
If someone is insulting you then you can report it

How often do you report when you're insulted?

Chloe
10-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Can you cite examples?

Chloe
10-28-2016, 07:48 PM
How often do you report when you're insulted?

not as often as I should admittedly

Private Pickle
10-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Well yeah! That's kinda the point of backing up your claims in a debate.

BTW: She's one of my favorites.

Private Pickle
10-28-2016, 07:53 PM
not as often as I should admittedly

Exactly. I've limited myself to reporting individuals in threads where there is good debate and conversation happening so the thread doesn't go down the maelstrom. Trust me...it's not a lot...

Newpublius
10-28-2016, 07:54 PM
I'll ride my bike tomorrow like I typically do and yeah i'll probably shower too, but it looks to me based on that map that this particular pipeline is unnecessary. Hopefully all of those pipelines will run empty one day.

By that logic we would never need to build any additional roads.

Chloe
10-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Well yeah! That's kinda the point of backing up your claims in a debate.

BTW: She's one of my favorites.

Do you seriously want cited examples of the effects oil spills have on soil health, the biodiversity living in the soil, and groundwater or were you just doing your normal thing with me?

Private Pickle
10-28-2016, 08:25 PM
Do you seriously want cited examples of the effects oil spills have on soil health, the biodiversity living in the soil, and groundwater or were you just doing your normal thing with me?

Yes. Specifically concerning underground pipelines. Also take into account the effect of not having those pipelines vs. the effect a supposed rupture or a past rupture would have on the economy, environment and the inevitable result on people's lives including their standard of living.

Is that the "normal" thing I do with you or are you just being overly sensitive because of the admitted kid gloves you're treated with?

exploited
10-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Funny coming from you.

Nope. I have never insulted Chloe.

Next?

patrickt
10-29-2016, 06:33 AM
Perhaps we've found the problem:
"Violent rioters on Thursday burned a bridge, shot at police and threw bombs in order to stop the building of an oil pipeline in North Dakota. Yet, the journalists at CBS This Morning saw only “activists” and kept the focus on their environmentalist plight. Reporter Barry Petersen interviewed four of the radical protesters, but just one representative attempting to stop the chaos. He also ignored the Molotov cocktails (http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/27/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protests/)being hurled at law enforcement. "
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/scott-whitlock/2016/10/28/eco-rioters-burn-shoot-and-throw-bombs-cbs-sees-only-activists

Subdermal
10-29-2016, 05:20 PM

I'll have exploited simply shown the door here.