PDA

View Full Version : Time for Chris Christie to Decide

Conley
09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Despite the entreaties of wealthy Republican donors and reporters yearning for a hot new storyline, Chris Christie looks like he's not going to run for President. Speaking at the Reagan library in California on Tuesday night, Christie delivered a crowd-pleasing address complaining that President Obama had failed to meet his promise and that America needs new leadership to restore its greatness. "This is not a leadership style, this is a re-election strategy," he said of the current administration's stewardship. "What happened to State Senator Obama? When did he decide to become one of the 'dividers' he spoke of so eloquently in 2004?"

Christie gave no sign that he actually intends to run. When an audience member posed the question, he declined to issue a straight-forward denial, but referred to an online video montage of the countless ways he's ruled out a White House bid in the past. "Those are the answers," he said. And why would he run? However weak the Republican field may look right now, ChristieMania has always been out of sync with his true prospects as a Republican primary candidate. (See "Chris Christie [EM] The 2011 TIME 100.")

The problem for Christie is that he's a moderate in a party with little taste for moderation. From a distance, that may not be clear. Everyone knows that Christie's blunt and tough, happy to tell off his critics with raw Jersey attitude. He's also taken on public employee unions and slashed his Democratic-leaning state's budget by $3 billion without raising taxes. He's avowedly pro-life and opposes gay marriage. He thinks "The Jersey Shore" is idiotic.

http://news.yahoo.com/chris-christie-delivers-electrifying-speech-hes-no-conservative-094802923.html

It looks like he is not going to run. I am surprised by the number of GOP candidates not interested in the job...is it just that there is no place for moderates in the field? It seems to me he would have a great chance in the General Election, but for many GOP his soft stances on immigration and gun control do him in. It's impossible to find the perfect candidate...some issues are more important to me than others, and right now I think the economy is #1.

Mister D
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Christie would be a bad candidate. He's great for my state and I appreciate his governorship.

Conley
09-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I think he'd be a good candidate...he has popular appeal without the religious baggage of a Perry or Romney. Mind you I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with their religions, just that people may be more likely to vote for someone more traditional. Perry's record especially as a Dem and his current stance on immigration aren't exactly things to crow about either.

MMC
09-29-2011, 06:53 AM
I don't think he could ever get that National Appeal. I don't care how much he runs out West.

Conley
09-29-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't think he could ever get that National Appeal. I don't care how much he runs out West.

I disagree. He has a lot more appeal out here than Romney or Perry.

MMC
09-30-2011, 06:05 AM

He has none in the Midwest.....this is Mitch Daniels Country. ;)

wingrider
09-30-2011, 06:16 AM

well MMC I kinda agree with you about mitch daniels but daniels ain't running so that is that,, Now here is one thing, I am in Colorado as you know and Chris is picking up steam here, also this little tid bit.. Christy has said he will make a decision on monday and tell it to Fox news,, so lets just wait K..

I like Cain better

MMC
09-30-2011, 06:55 AM

well MMC I kinda agree with you about mitch daniels but daniels ain't running so that is that,, Now here is one thing, I am in Colorado as you know and Chris is picking up steam here, also this little tid bit.. Christy has said he will make a decision on monday and tell it to Fox news,, so lets just wait K..

I like Cain better

Hiya Lo.....so do you actually think he wants to throw his hat in the mix at this point in time? No way Could he take Iowa and S. Carolina. They say he is to moderate and the base wont back him.

Conley
09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
It's crazy how much power those two states have to determine who the next POTUS is. New Hampshire too. I'd reform the whole system.

Mister D
09-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I'd keep the electoral college though.

Conley
09-30-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd keep the electoral college though.

What is the argument for it? Just that nominees wouldn't travel to smaller states without it?

MMC
09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
It's crazy how much power those two states have to determine who the next POTUS is. New Hampshire too. I'd reform the whole system.

Yeah and all because of why??? Screw Letting them always go first. I say we need to end that shit. Their not special. But thats the way it is played. >:(

Conley
09-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Yeah and all because of why??? Screw Letting them always go first. I say we need to end that shit. Their not special. But thats the way it is played. >:(

I agree. The candidates spend so much time there...especially when they are leaving their elected positions behind to go campaign. How can they be doing their job well if they are constantly in Iowa? None of it seems right.

MMC
10-04-2011, 10:50 AM
He Has Decided.....

http://news.yahoo.com/chris-christie-not-running-president-143335342.html

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will not run for president, according to a source with direct knowledge of the governor’s thinking.....snip~

Oooopps.....There it is! >:D

Conley
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
He Has Decided.....

http://news.yahoo.com/chris-christie-not-running-president-143335342.html

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will not run for president, according to a source with direct knowledge of the governor’s thinking.....snip~

Oooopps.....There it is! >:D

Sources sources...this guy needs to speak for himself! Sheesh.

wingrider
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Christie has decided,, he says " Now is not my time" he may be mulling over a 2016 run.. and another thing he doesn't want to get caught up in the palin syndrome of being accused of quitting 2 years into his term as governor ..

Mister D
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Ah, I figured as much. I just saw an excerpt of his speech on Fox. Good decision. He's a young guy and running now would only hurt his image.

Conley
10-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Christie has decided,, he says " Now is not my time" he may be mulling over a 2016 run.. and another thing he doesn't want to get caught up in the palin syndrome of being accused of quitting 2 years into his term as governor ..

Cool, thanks for the update. We had figured as much. GOP folks should recognize that realistically 2020 will be there next chance (assuming a GOP wins in 2012), but he'll still be relatively young then. Just needs to work on this health.

MMC
10-04-2011, 10:52 PM

Cool, thanks for the update. We had figured as much. GOP folks should recognize that realistically 2020 will be there next chance (assuming a GOP wins in 2012), but he'll still be relatively young then. Just needs to work on this health.

I think Romney Peeps helped pushed that. Because all the media went with it and all lost Palin in the Confusion. I doubt she can jump in now. Even with Bachmann tanking.

Conley
10-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Interesting.

So is Perry starting to slip? And Cain coming on?

I haven't had time to follow things as closely as I'd like.

MMC
10-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Interesting.

I dont think Cain is really coming on. Perry is slipping but I expected as much. Moreover Ron Paul has fallen to the way side but still took the California Straw Poll. which if he was to take Cali. Thats 55 dels even if Cain took a couple of southern states. I don't see Cain becoming the nominee. He knows how to run a buisness. He is weak in Foreign Policy. Is not a Good Speaker and does not attract even with the Limelight. Nor does he have any in Congress that he could leverage upon.

wingrider
10-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Interesting.

I dont think Cain is really coming on. Perry is slipping but I expected as much. Moreover Ron Paul has fallen to the way side but still took the California Straw Poll. which if he was to take Cali. Thats 55 dels even if Cain took a couple of southern states. I don't see Cain becoming the nominee. He knows how to run a buisness. He is weak in Foreign Policy. Is not a Good Speaker and does not attract even with the Limelight. Nor does he have any in Congress that he could leverage upon.

good points there MMC.. I have to concur on your analogy. I think it will be romneyvs obama in 2012, Palin has said she isn't interested in running she feels she can do more good as a cheerleader for whomever gets the nod, Perry is basically cooked from his own words, Paul never had a chance, as much as I like him and some of his ideals, they just won't work in this day and age. not sure about cain, I would love to see a heads up between him and Obama and I think a debate between the two men would be interesting, I believe Cain would fall short of the goal. and we would be stuck with four more yers of our favorite community organizer.

btw. here is a video just out that you all might get a chuckle out of

Ray Stevens - Mr. President - Mr. President (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBOMjZU-aCE#ws)

Conley
10-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Interesting.

good points there MMC.. I have to concur on your analogy. I think it will be romneyvs obama in 2012, Palin has said she isn't interested in running she feels she can do more good as a cheerleader for whomever gets the nod, Perry is basically cooked from his own words, Paul never had a chance, as much as I like him and some of his ideals, they just won't work in this day and age. not sure about cain, I would love to see a heads up between him and Obama and I think a debate between the two men would be interesting, I believe Cain would fall short of the goal. and we would be stuck with four more yers of our favorite community organizer.

Ray Stevens - Mr. President - Mr. President (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBOMjZU-aCE#ws)

What has Perry said that cooked his own goose? Was it the book he wrote or something else? I don't understand why he wouldn't be the nominee. I still feel he has a better shot of unseating Obama than Romney. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

MMC
10-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Interesting.

What has Perry said that cooked his own goose? Was it the book he wrote or something else? I don't understand why he wouldn't be the nominee. I still feel he has a better shot of unseating Obama than Romney. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

Perry was a Democrat-strike one.....Perry backed Gore.....strike two.....Perry has some shit with Confederate Symbols and Deregatory remarks concerning blacks. Has no Foreign Policy and will be just as weak. Perry is like McCain and will flip flop on his previous stances. Moreover from the debates.....one can see Mr Perry isn't exactly a good speaker nor is he to bright.

Conley
10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Interesting.

Perry was a Democrat-strike one.....Perry backed Gore.....strike two.....Perry has some shit with Confederate Symbols and Deregatory remarks concerning blacks. Has no Foreign Policy and will be just as weak. Perry is like McCain and will flip flop on his previous stances. Moreover from the debates.....one can see Mr Perry isn't exactly a good speaker nor is he to bright.

That never stopped Dubya ;)

I didn't realize Perry had some issues with the confederate flag and negative remarks about blacks. Weird how Biden got away with so much but I guess that is off topic. The democrat and Gore stuff I feel was ancient history but it is a concern. Like Obama, who knows what he really believes? I think he would govern from a conservative standpoint though.

Elibe
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
this is good news. it means another four years for obama. he's not perfect but he's the best we've got out of those three.

perry sank his own ship

Mister D
10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
this is good news. it means another four years for obama. he's not perfect but he's the best we've got out of those three.

perry sank his own ship

If the economy does not improve very soon BO will be in a for rough ride.

Conley
10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't get how some people hold Christie's geographic and middle of the road gubernatorial background against him when Romney is from an even more liberal state and had a more liberal track record during his time in office.

Conley
10-05-2011, 10:54 AM

perry sank his own ship

No doubt. Really I'm not sure how much power one man has to change the economy, but he wanted the job and the blame will be on him. Even the most optimistic are not predicting a recovery any time soon. Realistically I think this is the new economy we're seeing and this is as good as it will get for a lot of people. The boom days are over.

Mister D
10-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't get how some people hold Christie's geographic and middle of the road gubernatorial background against him when Romney is from an even more liberal state and had a more liberal track record during his time in office.

That's a good point.

Elibe
10-06-2011, 01:56 PM

perry sank his own ship

but the economy was bad before he ever got into office

bush made things bad but it is not all up to the president

he cant just snap his fingers and fix the broken economy. let me ask you this what should obama have done to fix things? if he is to blame as you insist

Mister D
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM

perry sank his own ship

he cant just snap his fingers and fix the broken economy. let me ask you this what should obama have done to fix things? if he is to blame as you insist

Didn't say he could but that's the way it works. He takes responsibility. He the POTUS for God's sake!

Pendragon
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
So you admit he is being unfairly blamed.

Americans should also note the role of Congress in all of this.

Conley
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM

perry sank his own ship

Didn't say he could but that's the way it works. He takes responsibility. He the POTUS for God's sake!

He should take responsibility. ;)

Seems that's an epidemic in our society - a lack of accountability. A good leader would at the very least have that.

Mister D
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM

No more or less than Bush. In any case, it matters not. You take credit for what happens under your administration and you take the blame for what goes wrong. That's the way it works.

Mister D
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM

perry sank his own ship

He should take responsibility. ;)

Seems that's an epidemic in our society - a lack of accountability. A good leader would at the very least have that.

I mean really! Ths is probably the most responsible position in the world.

Conley
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM

No more or less than Bush. In any case, it matters not. You take credit for what happens under your administration and you take the blame for what goes wrong. That's the way it works.

Yep, the President is like the quarterback, even when the offensive line stinks you just have to stand tall and rise above it.

The Messiah could learn something from JC!

Pendragon
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM

It does matter.

It is convenient for the Republicans to purposely stonewall any attempts at fixing the economy (for example, Obama's Jobs Bill) because then they can blame him for all the problems.

It is simply a ludicrous means of governing the country. For shame!

Mister D
10-06-2011, 03:05 PM

It does matter.

It is convenient for the Republicans to purposely stonewall any attempts at fixing the economy (for example, Obama's Jobs Bill) because then they can blame him for all the problems.

Yes, electing an inexperienced Negro to run the world's only superpower is indeed a ludicrous way to run a country. But, hey, we made history right? ::) In any case, will Obama further besmrich the office by insisting nothign his fault? Hopefully not

Pendragon
10-06-2011, 03:11 PM

It does matter.

Yes, electing an inexperienced Negro to run the world's only superpower is indeed a ludicrous way to run a country. But, hey, we made history right? ::) In any case, will Obama further besmrich the office by insisting nothign his fault? Hopefully not

His race is not important and that term is offensive to myself and many others.

Mister D
10-06-2011, 03:19 PM

It does matter.

His race is not important and that term is offensive to myself and many others.

His race got him elected. ;)

MMC
10-07-2011, 01:34 AM

Yep, the President is like the quarterback, even when the offensive line stinks you just have to stand tall and rise above it.

The Messiah could learn something from JC!

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1264136358679&id=35899e90b6de5195729dc0281e239684&url=http%3a%2f%2fimages4.fanpop.com%2fimage%2fphot os%2f17200000%2fJamie-Lee-Curtis-Wallapers-jamie-lee-curtis-17295370-1920-1200.jpg

U.....mean he could find out whats behind that Black OP? Dunno. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/dontknow.gif bout that. The POTUS is suppose to have Plausible Deniability. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/usa2.gif This sounds like a Job for the Men In Black. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/glasses6.gif :D http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/icon_biggrin.gif http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/tongue2.gif

Conley
10-07-2011, 07:38 AM
You're confusing JC with JLC! >:( >:( >:(

I was talking about Colonel Custard! ;D

MMC
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM

>:( Well.....from a distance. ::) JC/JCL I'm just sayin. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/glasses9.gif ;D

Conley
10-07-2011, 08:11 AM

>:( Well.....from a distance. ::) JC/JCL I'm just sayin. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/glasses9.gif ;D

JLC wouldn't take as many sacks. ;D

Err...not that she has a sack, that's not what I'm sayin! >:(

MMC
10-07-2011, 08:23 AM

JLC wouldn't take as many sacks. ;D

Err...not that she has a sack, that's not what I'm sayin! >:(

http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/smiley_ROFLMAO.gif.....Brown baggin it ??? :-\ http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/detective.gif http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/f_whistle.gif