PDA

View Full Version : 1st College Football Playoff Ranking Predictions?

DGUtley
10-30-2016, 10:52 AM
The first college football playoff rankings come out Tuesday. I think that Alabama will be ranked number one. Regrettably, I think TSUN Will be ranked number two with Clemson third. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Does anybody have any predictions?

Standing Wolf
10-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Can someone please explain to me the purpose of "ranking" college sports teams...even before a single game of a season has been played?

I don't really follow college sports, but I hear an upcoming game being talked about on the radio, and they will say, "No. 12 Beaverville takes on No. 2 Wingnut", and the numbers assigned to them don't seem to relate to any Win-Loss record for that team, if they even have earned one yet. I can recall a few years ago, one of our Arizona college teams was undefeated through the whole first half of their season, while still having a high "ranking" number attached to them.

In pro sports, of course - and Baseball is the only one I have ever understood or followed - you have a defending division, league or world champion, based on what the team did the previous year, but aside from that every team starts out fresh each season on an equal footing.

So what do the "ranking" numbers mean and why have them?

Green Arrow
10-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Can someone please explain to me the purpose of "ranking" college sports teams...even before a single game of a season has been played?

Two things.

1) Lots of games have been played
2) It's like Eliot Harrison's "NFL Power Rankings," he does a weekly column in which he ranks teams in terms of power as of that week. For example, the Minnesota Vikings were his number one team two weeks in a row - until they lost to the Philadelphia Eagles to fall to 5-1, then they dropped a couple spots.

It's just a way to determine the strength of each team.

Standing Wolf
10-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Two things.

1) Lots of games have been played
2) It's like Eliot Harrison's "NFL Power Rankings," he does a weekly column in which he ranks teams in terms of power as of that week. For example, the Minnesota Vikings were his number one team two weeks in a row - until they lost to the Philadelphia Eagles to fall to 5-1, then they dropped a couple spots.

It's just a way to determine the strength of each team.

Yeah, I understand how once a season begins and some games have been played it would be possible to do some kind of ranking based on performance, but ranking teams before a season even starts doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I just don't see the point.

hanger4
10-30-2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I understand how once a season begins and some games have been played it would be possible to do some kind of ranking based on performance, but ranking teams before a season even starts doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I just don't see the point.

Sports media needs something to talk about and to promote up coming games.

hanger4
10-30-2016, 11:02 PM
the first college football playoff rankings come out tuesday. I think that alabama will be ranked number one. Regrettably, i think tsun will be ranked number two with clemson third. Beyond that, i'm not really sure. Does anybody have any predictions?

1 alabama
2 michigan
3 clemson
4 washington

DGUtley
10-31-2016, 05:34 AM
1 alabama
2 TSUN
3 clemson
4 washington

Agree. Buckeyes 5 or 6.

hanger4
10-31-2016, 05:59 AM
Agree. Buckeyes 5 or 6.

OSU plays Mich. last season game (as you know :grin:) so they aren't out yet.

I'll be rooting for them. Bama fan here, I'd enjoy a title game rematch.

DGUtley
10-31-2016, 06:39 AM
OSU plays Mich. last season game (as you know :grin:) so they aren't out yet.

I'll be rooting for them. Bama fan here, I'd enjoy a title game rematch.

Satan vs Evil Urban? It would be a blast!!! I think Alabama is playing better than anybody right now.

I will miss "the hat". Any predictions on who gets the LSU job?

hanger4
10-31-2016, 06:56 AM
Satan vs Evil Urban? It would be a blast!!! I think Alabama is playing better than anybody right now.

LSU will prob keep it close to the vest until seasons end unless they name the interm. Here's what the talking sports heads think;

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/9/26/13064302/lsu-candidates-coach-search-rumors-news

PolWatch
10-31-2016, 07:07 AM
I have to go with hanger4 in predictions. I expect to see Auburn finish higher than 12th.

Alabama plays LSU next Saturday..gonna be interesting.

hanger4
10-31-2016, 07:15 AM
I have to go with hanger4 in predictions. I expect to see Auburn finish higher than 12th.

Alabama plays LSU next Saturday..gonna be interesting.

I was looking through the schedules of the top four. Bama seems to have the toughest row to hoe with LSU and Auburn. Other than Mich vs OSU the rest seem like over matches.

PolWatch
10-31-2016, 07:28 AM
LSU is always a cliff hanger and Auburn is a grudge match so the remaining schedule is gonna be exciting. Ole Miss & A&M gave them a run for the money.

Bethere
10-31-2016, 08:30 AM

Tom Herman says many. But to me the best coach available is Kevin Wilson.

hanger4
10-31-2016, 09:29 AM
Tom Herman says many. But to me the best coach available is Kevin Wilson.

Herman's not looking real wunderkind right now BUT things change mighty fast at times.

They're 7-2, lost to SMU, Navy and a goal line stand late saved a win vs Tulsa. These are three "who ??" teams. He is 20-3 at Houston and this being his 3 year one wonders just how good is his recruiting is. Recruiting is tough in the SEC West vs Saban.

DGUtley
10-31-2016, 03:09 PM
Herman's not looking real wunderkind right now BUT things change mighty fast at times. They're 7-2, lost to SMU, Navy and a goal line stand late saved a win vs Tulsa. These are three "who ??" teams. He is 20-3 at Houston and this being his 3 year one wonders just how good is his recruiting is. Recruiting is tough in the SEC West vs Saban.

This is Tom's Second Year. He was OSU O.C. when We Won It First - 14/15.

hanger4
10-31-2016, 03:29 PM
This is Tom's Second Year. He was OSU O.C. when We Won It First - 14/15.

Just second year. Oops. I think LSU would want someone more established. They're a major program in a major conference playing yearly contenders. I believe they'd want to sign an OC or DC from a top flite organization.

DGUtley
10-31-2016, 03:50 PM
Just second year. Oops. I think LSU would want someone more established. They're a major program in a major conference playing yearly contenders. I believe they'd want to sign an OC or DC from a top flite organization.

TH was the OC at tOSU before he became HC at Houston. In fact, he helped tOSU win the NC. I may be biased but I don't think you get much bigger than The Ohio State University.

hanger4
10-31-2016, 04:00 PM
TH was the OC at tOSU before he became HC at Houston. In fact, he helped tOSU win the NC. I may be biased but I don't think you get much bigger than The Ohio State University.

Alabama is much bigger than OSU :poke: :thumbsup:

If Mr. Tom wins out big this year LSU may look hard, he just ain't lookin real good right now. Two losses to two basic cupcakes doesn't help is resume. In a few years with his recruites all that could change.

DGUtley
10-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Alabama is much bigger than OSU

1. Them's fightin' words.
2. Them's really fightin' words.
3. Ohio State has 22000 more main campus students.
4. Ohio State-Main Campus Provides Much Better Freshmen Financial Aid: (86% vs. 76% of Eligible Freshmen Receive Aid)
5. Ohio State-Main Campus Students Graduate More in 6 Years: (82% vs. 67% Graduation Rate)
6. Ohio State-Main Campus Students Earn Much More Salary Post-Graduation: ($45,800 vs. $41,600 Median Salary)
7. Ohio State-Main Campus Has Slightly Smaller Class Sizes: (18:1 vs. 21:1 Student-Teacher Ratio)
8. Alabama Has Hotter Summer Weather: (81°F vs. 72°F)
9. Ohio State-Main Campus Has Colder Winter Weather: (31°F vs. 48°F)

hanger4
10-31-2016, 04:24 PM
1. Them's fightin' words.
2. Them's really fightin' words.
3. Ohio State has 22000 more main campus students.
4. Ohio State-Main Campus Provides Much Better Freshmen Financial Aid: (86% vs. 76% of Eligible Freshmen Receive Aid)
5. Ohio State-Main Campus Students Graduate More in 6 Years: (82% vs. 67% Graduation Rate)
6. Ohio State-Main Campus Students Earn Much More Salary Post-Graduation: ($45,800 vs. $41,600 Median Salary)
7. Ohio State-Main Campus Has Slightly Smaller Class Sizes: (18:1 vs. 21:1 Student-Teacher Ratio)
8. Alabama Has Hotter Summer Weather: (81°F vs. 72°F)
9. Ohio State-Main Campus Has Colder Winter Weather: (31°F vs. 48°F)

I know, I know, just poking. I inadvertently posted before I finished my screed. Sorry. Urban owned Bama with the Gators and with OSU, so far. Tis why I root for a rematch come January. Hope it's the championship game, but I take either.

DGUtley
10-31-2016, 04:26 PM
I know, I know, just poking. I inadvertently posted before I finished my screed. Sorry. Urban owned Bama with the Gators and with OSU, so far. Tis why I root for a rematch come January. Hope it's the championship game, but I take either.

Just poking as well. The top two programs historically, I believe.

Bo-4
11-06-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm kind of late to this party, but will merely assert that Washington should be ranked ahead of Clemson.

The latter masterfully cranked out a 54-0 win over the Syracuse Orange yesterday while Huskers won a competitive game on the road in Utah.

I don't get it - Huskers better be in top 4 come tomorrow. Congrats to Coach Pete! :D

hanger4
11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm kind of late to this party, but will merely assert that Washington should be ranked ahead of Clemson.

The latter masterfully cranked out a 54-0 win over the Syracuse Orange yesterday while Huskers won a competitive game on the road in Utah.

I don't get it - Huskers better be in top 4 come tomorrow. Congrats to Coach Pete! :D

Agreed, I questioned why TX A&M jumped over to start with.

Tahuyaman
11-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Tuesday's rankings will have Ohio State, with one loss jump over undefeated Washington for the 4th spot. The top three will stay where they are. Washington will stay at #5.

Tahuyaman
11-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Agreed, I questioned why TX A&M jumped over to start with.

Because they are in the SEC and the sports media is in love with the SEC.

hanger4
11-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Because they are in the SEC and the sports media is in love with the SEC.

Well the SEC did dominate the BCS championships with 11 appearances and 9 wins. Plus winning 1 of the two CFP's so far.

Tahuyaman
11-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Well the SEC did dominate the BCS championships with 11 appearances and 9 wins. Plus winning 1 of the two CFP's so far.

Of course they are going to be represented well if they are consistently over-represented.

hanger4
11-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Of course they are going to be represented well if they are consistently over-represented.

The Big 12 had 7 appearances winning 2. Were they over-represented ??

Tahuyaman
11-06-2016, 09:05 PM
The Big 12 had 7 appearances winning 2. Were they over-represented ??

The big 12 is not consistently in the picture.

When it it comes to the college football rankings, there is a distinct east cost bias. This is an unarguable fact.

PolWatch
11-06-2016, 11:46 PM
2 words:

Roll Tide

hanger4
11-07-2016, 06:43 AM
The big 12 is not consistently in the picture.

When it it comes to the college football rankings, there is a distinct east cost bias. This is an unarguable fact.

Considering half or more of the FBS schools are located in the eastern third of the US I can understand a perception of bias.

hanger4
11-07-2016, 07:09 AM
2 words:

Roll Tide

Sup PolWatch did you have the opportunity to watch the Bama LSU game Saturday ??

PolWatch
11-07-2016, 07:32 AM
I watched the first half. It was kinda like watching a monster truck race....they were crashing into each other all over the place! LSU might want to consider keeping their interim coach....he has that team well trained & ready to go.

hanger4
11-07-2016, 07:52 AM
I watched the first half. It was kinda like watching a monster truck race....they were crashing into each other all over the place! LSU might want to consider keeping their interim coach....he has that team well trained & ready to go.

Agree on all points. I think Orgeron made a strong statement to stay, unfortunately I'm a bettin the moneyed alum not so much.

PolWatch
11-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Agree on all points. I think Orgeron made a strong statement to stay, unfortunately I'm a bettin the moneyed alum not so much.
I read a couple of articles that his position depended on beating Alabama....which I think is silly. LSU has won all 3 games since he was appointed interim coach. The moneyed alums of various colleges make some big mistakes.....Lane Kiffin comes to mind

DGUtley
11-07-2016, 08:29 AM
How about those Buckeyes!!!! 62-3 against a Top Ten Team

Tahuyaman
11-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Considering half or more of the FBS schools are located in the eastern third of the US I can understand a perception of bias.

Please.....

hanger4
11-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Please.....

You're welcome. :grin:

hanger4
11-07-2016, 10:37 AM
How about those Buckeyes!!!! 62-3 against a Top Ten Team

Aaaaaaaaah Nebraska was over rated. :poke:

Seriously, OSU done good.

Tahuyaman
11-07-2016, 10:41 AM
2 words:

Roll Tide

I dont get all the hype over a game that featured two slow and vanilla offenses. It's wasn't so much a "defensive slugfest" as it was a display of two slow and unimaginative offenses.