PDA

View Full Version : Why have party affiliation?

resister
11-04-2016, 10:19 AM
It may surprise some of yall but I'm only a republican in as far as I support Trump.For the life of me I cant understand blind party devotion.Its like this,when a toilet gets full you flush it.People will vote one party for years on end no matter how bad the policies are.What ever happened to supporting candidates with the best ideas?I'd vote democrat in a heart beat if they represented my best interist (unlikely as that would be)How many here feel the same?

Chris
11-04-2016, 11:19 AM
I once joined the Libertarian Party. They had a great newsletter. When the newsletter stopped, I quit. I voted for Badnarik.

nathanbforrest45
11-04-2016, 11:26 AM
In the early dayes of the Republic there were several arguments against allowing party affiliations. I believe the main objection to not having parties is then there could possibly be dozens or more running for the same office. It would be like this year's Republican primaries with 14 candidates. The fear would then be that a very small minority could elect the president if the winner was simply the person with the most votes. Just consider the turmoil if the president was elected by only 10% of the voters

Furthermore, party affiliation means multiple representatives banding together with like minded philosophies. If there were no party affiliations then you would never know how your candidate may vote in any particular circumstance. If you vote for the Democrat then you know there is a very than strong chance the other Democrats would keep him voting for the programs you champion.

Green Arrow
11-04-2016, 11:28 AM
The spirit of party is a pox on this country and its adherents march and shout like infected zombies.

resister
11-04-2016, 11:32 AM
In the early dayes of the Republic there were several arguments against allowing party affiliations. I believe the main objection to not having parties is then there could possibly be dozens or more running for the same office. It would be like this year's Republican primaries with 14 candidates. The fear would then be that a very small minority could elect the president if the winner was simply the person with the most votes. Just consider the turmoil if the president was elected by only 10% of the voters

Furthermore, party affiliation means multiple representatives banding together with like minded philosophies. If there were no party affiliations then you would never know how your candidate may vote in any particular circumstance. If you vote for the Democrat then you know there is a very than strong chance the other Democrats would keep him voting for the programs you champion.I was only reffering to we the voter

Common
11-04-2016, 11:45 AM
I was a registered republican for a long time, I always cross voted for who I believed was the best of the lot. Im still a registered independent and I ll still vote for who I believe is the best candidate.

The left has gone totally fuckin nuts. The last 8 yrs has weakened this country dramatically that was his goal, and hes importing illegal immigrants from everywhere in the world and they are going to break our back.

The only salvation for me is, that ALL, ALL democrats children and grandchildren will pay the price right along with all the people Obama hates

nathanbforrest45
11-04-2016, 12:05 PM
I was only reffering to we the voter

The only way that matters is in the primaries. Otherwise its just a meaningless label.

patrickt
11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
It may surprise some of yall but I'm only a republican in as far as I support Trump.For the life of me I cant understand blind party devotion.Its like this,when a toilet gets full you flush it.People will vote one party for years on end no matter how bad the policies are.What ever happened to supporting candidates with the best ideas?I'd vote democrat in a heart beat if they represented my best interist (unlikely as that would be)How many here feel the same?

I'm registered as a Republican so I can vote in Republican primaries. I can't imagine anyone having party loyalty or back a Democrat like Donald Trump.

resister
11-04-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm registered as a Republican so I can vote in Republican primaries. I can't imagine anyone having party loyalty or back a Democrat like Donald Trump.
sure you didn't mean Hillary?

Common Sense
11-04-2016, 01:10 PM
I've voted for Conservatives when their platform was something I agreed with.

FindersKeepers
11-04-2016, 01:21 PM
I live in deep red territory where the heart of most elections happens in the Republican primary. I've crossed over and voted for democrats -- rarely -- in the general, but if I wasn't a Republican, I'd miss out on voting in my local elections.

Tahuyaman
11-04-2016, 10:18 PM
I've voted for Conservatives when their platform was something I agreed with.

Wait a minute. You are an admitted liberal. What possible conservative candidate's platform would attract your support? If a liberal would support it, would that mean it's not very conservative n nature?

Green Arrow
11-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Wait a minute. You are an admitted liberal. What possible conservative candidate's platform would attract your support? If a liberal would support it, would that mean it's not very conservative n nature?

Conservatives are not the vapid reactionaries in Canada and Europe that they are here.

Tahuyaman
11-04-2016, 11:09 PM
Conservatives are not the vapid reactionaries in Canada and Europe that they are here.

You sound like a vapid reactionary with that one.

resister
11-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Your avatar is smoking hot!!!!

Green Arrow
11-04-2016, 11:59 PM
You sound like a vapid reactionary with that one.

Repeating what someone else says is always a clever, original retort.

Tahuyaman
11-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Repeating what someone else says is always a clever, original retort.

And that's not a clever or original retort.