PDA

View Full Version : Al-Quida Cleric al Awlaki Killed in Yemen.....

MMC
09-30-2011, 06:19 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/yemen-al-qaidas-al-awlaki-killed-airstrike-094944964.html
AP – 49 mins ago.....

SANAA, Yemen (AP) — The Yemeni government has released an official statement saying the U.S.-born al-Qaida cleric Anwar al-Awlaki has been killed.

The government says al-Awlaki was targeted and killed 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the town of Khashef in the Province of al-Jawf. The town is located 87 miles (140 kilometers) east of the capital Sanaa.....snip~

The Yemenis are taking the Credit. This is a significant strike. Now we have finally got one of the ones that was a US Citizen that was influencing others. This guy comes from Southern California. This will definately be a good blow to AQ. Their Organization should be struggling now to try and regroup. With their Money man and now an Influential Cleric being taken out. They are becoming less and less significant and or relevant. ;D

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/iOy7VZnaZyOKB8IjUud8Xw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTg3NTtjcj0xO2N3PTI1MDQ7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTE0MztxPTg1O3c9MTkw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/aa3e3700f99b3915fa0e6a706700ecfb.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/nQL83xxxLbngei9TM7UQSA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzI1Mztjcj0xO2N3PTI0NzI7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTI1MTtxPTg1O3c9MTkw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/a2eb1c66f9993915fa0e6a7067006135.jpg

This is what the Chump looked like.

Conley
09-30-2011, 09:10 AM
I saw he was born in New Mexico, didn't see he was from Southern California.

D and I were just talking about home grown terrorists yesterday turning on their native country.

U.S. Rep. Peter King, a Republican who is chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, hailed al-Awlaki's death as "a great success in our fight" against al-Qaida and its affiliates in a statement sent to NBC News.

"For the past several years, al-Awlaki has been more dangerous even than Osama bin Laden had been. The killing of al-Awlaki is a tremendous tribute to President Obama and the men and women of our intelligence community," he added.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44727191/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/?GT1=43001#.ToXNh9Qg0dU

Looks like one of our drones got him, maybe yemen contributed intel?

Mister D
09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
This guy doesn;t look like he belonged to this society but his physical presence here is enough for us to call him "homegrown". Anyway, glad they got him. I don't care who pulled the trigger.

Conley
09-30-2011, 09:52 AM
This guy doesn;t look like he belonged to this society but his physical presence here is enough for us to call him "homegrown". Anyway, glad they got him. I don't care who pulled the trigger.

Apparently he had quite a following in the U.S.

The Fort Hood shooter emailed him -- I'm not sure if they actually communicated beyond that.

Mister D
09-30-2011, 09:53 AM

Apparently he had quite a following in the U.S.

The Fort Hood shooter emailed him -- I'm not sure if they actually communicated beyond that.

Ah geez, for real?

Conley
09-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Yeah :-\

He actually spent a significant part of his life here:

Al-Awlaki was born in the United States, and at seven years old he and his family returned to Yemen in 1978.[2][25] He then lived in Yemen for 11 years, and studied at Azal Modern School.[54]

Al-Awlaki returned to Colorado in 1991 to attend college. He earned a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Colorado State University (1994), where he was President of the Muslim Student Association.[54] He attended the university on a foreign student visa and a government scholarship from Yemen, apparently by claiming to be born in that country, according to a former U.S. security agent.[55] He spent a summer of his college years training with the Afghan mujahideen who fought the Soviet Union's occupation of Afghanistan with US and Saudi backing.[25] Al-Awlaki also earned an M.A. in Education Leadership from San Diego State University. He worked on a Doctorate degree in Human Resource Development at George Washington University Graduate School of Education & Human Development from January to December 2001.[8][50][56][57][58][59][60][61]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

There was another U.S. citizen killed along with him, Samir Khan, but I can't find much of an honest bio on him. He was big in the online recruiting and print media like their jihad magazine, "Inspire".

Mister D
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Well, that's comforting. ::)

Conley
09-30-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm comforted by the fact he's no longer around.

8)

It does sound like this was a big kill.

Mister D
09-30-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm comforted by the fact he's no longer around.

8)

It does sound like this was a big kill.

i hear ya. ;D

Conley
09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Obama has been taking heat from those on the extreme left for assassinating US citizens...not sure where Bush came in on the issue. These guys are enemy combatants right, so in my mind they're fair game. It's not a matter of due process and a trial.

Though now I am reading about enemy combatants and I think I am not using the term correctly.

Conley
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
"Unlawful combatant", that's the term.

In early 2010, with President Obama's approval, Anwar al-Awlaki became the first U.S. citizen to be approved for targeted killing by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).[8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targeted_killing

edit: Also,

On March 13, 2009 United States Attorney General Eric Holder issued a statement that the United States had abandoned the Bush administration term "enemy combatant".[14][15] The statement said, ""As we work toward developing a new policy to govern detainees, it is essential that we operate in a manner that strengthens our national security, is consistent with our values, and is governed by law." Though various human rights groups noted it as primarily a symbolic act.[16]

MMC
09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Theres only one word that needs to be used to Describe any Americans that are doing what these two have done. It's Called Traitor. Those that choose this path.

Mc Ren Feat: Ice Cube"Coming After You" A Ruthless Style Network Production.2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SiauVdT_I#)

Only Need Know One thing.....Were Coming! ;) >:D

Conley
09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
:tongue2: :terribletowel: :cheers: :yo:

MMC
09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/NEGATIVE/voodoo.gif http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/signs/mgun.gif

Elibe
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Obama has been taking heat from those on the extreme left for assassinating US citizens...not sure where Bush came in on the issue. These guys are enemy combatants right, so in my mind they're fair game. It's not a matter of due process and a trial.

Though now I am reading about enemy combatants and I think I am not using the term correctly.

does anyone argue for the defense before these individuals are considered guilty

is there a burden of proof?

american citizenship has to be considered

MMC
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM

does anyone argue for the defense before these individuals are considered guilty

What defense al-Awaki was behind the attempted bombing of a plane in detroit and the Fort Dix episode with that American Muslim who was in the Army. Moreover he admits openly for a World with Sharia Law. As well as advocates Jihad.

Conley
09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm sure the U.S. government does not make decisions like this lightly. Let's not pretend there's a long list of Amercian citizens on the target sheet either. The Wiki article linked is fairly clear about what the criteria are. It's not enough to just support terrorism, the involvement has to go beyond that. This guy fit the bill and then some. Anyone traveling with him is fair game as well. It sucks for that guy but that's why you shouldn't pal around with terrorists ;)

Conley
09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Ron Paul is disagreeing with the act, calling it an assassination:

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) -- Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is condemning the Obama administration for killing an American born al-Qaida operative without a trial.

Paul, a Texas congressman known for libertarian views, says the killing of Anwar al-Awlaki on Yemeni soil amounts to an "assassination." Paul warned the American people not to casually accept such violence against U.S. citizens, even those with strong ties to terrorism.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CLERIC_KILLED_RON_PAUL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-09-30-10-34-45

I disagree with him but respect him for being consistent in his views, even when they are unpopular.

jgreer
10-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Exactly right! We are all entitled to a trial. Even serial killers.

Conley
10-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Exactly right! We are all entitled to a trial. Even serial killers.

Not if you resist arrest ;)

Mister D
10-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Or take up arms against the US.

Elibe
10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
presumed guilty without a trial.

killed by the prosecution.

Conley
10-01-2011, 10:40 AM

How much evidence do you need?

Mister D
10-01-2011, 11:58 AM

More proof Obama is a hypocrite. ;) ;D

Conley
10-01-2011, 12:01 PM

More proof Obama is a hypocrite. ;) ;D

:D :D :D

MMC
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM

U-mean killed by Judge Jury and Executioner.....that Would be Obama. He had to give the approval to drop a bomb on somebody in a Country, we are not at War with.

You dropped a bomb on me! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoaXWMlG5ZM#)

Just like he is doing In Somalia, Pakistan, and Libya. Oh, thats right 3 more Countries we are not at War with; they call him the Peace President. Wonder what his definition of War looks like? >:D >:(

MMC
10-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Not only did they get this Cleric and the other American who clearly declared themselves as Traitors to this Country. But they also took out their Bomb Maker. This would be considered the most kinetic strike we have made against AQ.

Now while some may think these Two Traitors deserve some sort of trial. Such could never be the final reality. For these two former American Citizens decided that taking innocent peoples lives that were their fellow Citizens and knowing they are nothing more than sheep that cannot protect themselves.....had no problem taking those lives enmasse. Thats women and children. The old and the weak.

Both considered US LAW to be null and void. Both considered Yemeni Law to be null and void. Both were about taking lives in another country as well as in their own. Both are involved in the planning and the influence of Sharia Law. Killing them saves lives.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 04:02 PM

U-mean killed by Judge Jury and Executioner.....that Would be Obama. He had to give the approval to drop a bomb on somebody in a Country, we are not at War with.

Just like he is doing In Somalia, Pakistan, and Libya. Oh, thats right 3 more Countries we are not at War with; they call him the Peace President. Wonder what his definition of War looks like? >:D >:(

Everyone knows it's Bush's fault Obama has to do these things. Fight the power! Then vote for it... ??? ::)

MMC
10-01-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't mind Obama killing them.....what I do mind is all the needless spending to do so.
We waste more money by dropping bombs on people in other countries. Payoffs to government officials draped in some bureaucratic diplomacy under some type of aid program. Then logistics and technology.

This is what the CIA was created for. Espionage and Clandestine Operations. Consular Operations. This is what mercs and hit-men are used for. One it is hell of a lot cheaper. Two, when it is done it is 6 out of ten times.....up close and personal. Those on the receiving end already know they are an Enemy of the State and or to this Country. Like the Armed Services they know the price in getting caught. 8)

Mister D
10-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Nor do I blame him. It's one of the things he's done that I fully support.

Elibe
10-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Everyone knows it's Bush's fault Obama has to do these things. Fight the power! Then vote for it... ??? ::)

its interesting how obama has taken out higher al queda targets than bush. bush even went so far as to say he didnt care where osama was. you would think that the right would be happy by this news but now we have people complaining the drone attacks are too expensive? no. invading iraq leveling it and rebuilding it, that was expensive.

Mister D
10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I am. It's the hypocrisy liberals are displaying that I find troubling.

Elibe
10-02-2011, 03:31 PM

i'm glad your willing to give credit where credit is due

believe you me i am not one of those who thinks obama is perfect. i dont even think hes much of a liberal.

Mister D
10-02-2011, 03:48 PM

i'm glad your willing to give credit where credit is due

believe you me i am not one of those who thinks obama is perfect. i dont even think hes much of a liberal.

Why not? Obama isn't all bad. He's mostly bad. ;) What happens under his watch he takes the credit or blame for. That's the way the game is played.

Interesting. I don't think Bush, or any of the neocons for that matter, are conservatives or right wing.