PDA

View Full Version : Christie Moving Closer to Presidential Run

Conley
09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
BATON ROUGE — Gov. Chris Christie is seriously rethinking his months of denials and may launch a campaign for the White House after all, a source close to the governor said tonight.

In the last week, Christie has been swayed away from his earlier refusals to run by an aggressive draft effort from a cadre of Republicans and donors unhappy with the GOP field, said the source, who was not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity.

Christie has a small window of opportunity to make his final decision, and some political experts think he has only days to declare.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/chris_christie_seriously_consi.html

I read somewhere that he would be making a final announcement regarding his decision on Monday but I can't find confirmation of that.

MMC
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I saw it somewheres too. More Sauce for the Frying Pan. ;)

Mister D
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I'd rather he didn't because 1) I don't like his views on certain matters and 2) I don't think he's a good candidate. He might be if we were still the original 13 colonies...

Conley
09-30-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd rather he didn't because 1) I don't like his views on certain matters and 2) I don't think he's a good candidate. He might be if we were still the original 13 colonies...

Do you like any of the current candidates better? Are you excited about either Romney or Perry?

Mister D
09-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Do you like any of the current candidates better? Are you excited about either Romney or Perry?

Not really...sigh...but I do think romnhey could beat Obama.

MMC
09-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Funny Ass Jeopardy Question (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVfWjlMSa4#)

Ho's, Rakes, Immoral Pleasure Seekers.....Sounds like the defination of US Politicans. :D ;)

Mister D
09-30-2011, 03:33 PM
You saw how Guiliani's appeal fell flatter the further west he went. I suspect the same will happen with Christie.

Conley
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
You saw how Guiliani's appeal fell flatter the further west he went. I suspect the same will happen with Christie.

To me Giuliani's campaign like Fred Thompson was just a mystery in that they didn't really try very hard. I do think he could have put in a better showing...wasn't he relaxing in Florida a lot? You are probably right that Christie will have trouble in flyover states but I think he would do OK along the West Coast where Republicans are more moderate. He would not do well in the South. I suppose if he's not going to do well in Iowa or South Carolina then he doesn't have a shot at the nomination. Also he would need to raise a lot of money really quickly.

Conley
09-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Funny Ass Jeopardy Question (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVfWjlMSa4#)

Ho's, Rakes, Immoral Pleasure Seekers.....Sounds like the defination of US Politicans. :D ;)

:D Doesn't Alex know they have hos in Utah??

Mister D
09-30-2011, 03:46 PM

To me Giuliani's campaign like Fred Thompson was just a mystery in that they didn't really try very hard. I do think he could have put in a better showing...wasn't he relaxing in Florida a lot? You are probably right that Christie will have trouble in flyover states but I think he would do OK along the West Coast where Republicans are more moderate. He would not do well in the South. I suppose if he's not going to do well in Iowa or South Carolina then he doesn't have a shot at the nomination. Also he would need to raise a lot of money really quickly.

Yeah, I said Guiliani didn't seem particularly excited about campaigning myself. That's true.

wingrider
10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
although i like Christie, the only thing I can see that he has in common with presidential material is Taft.

300 lbs worth

Conley
10-02-2011, 05:36 PM
:D

Taft is everyone's punching bag >:( We have a skinny president now, what has that gotten us? Hmm?

Mister D
10-02-2011, 05:50 PM
:D

Taft is everyone's punching bag >:( We have a skinny president now, what has that gotten us? Hmm?

Good point.

MMC
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM
According to those that are close to him he says he still will not run.

wingrider
10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
now the news pundits are saying that Christie won't make an announcemnt untill later in the week.. I think it just attention grabbing with no substance

Mister D
10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
now the news pundits are saying that Christie won't make an announcemnt untill later in the week.. I think it just attention grabbing with no substance

Might be. He's a young guy. No reason for him to run now.

Conley
10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
These guys just love the attention, don't they. It's almost pathological. Narcissists.

wingrider
10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
yep..and guess who is the most narcissistic idiot in DC..

Mr.. TV personality himself BHO

Conley
10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
True that.

I wish our system didn't reward that kind of behavior. Our political system draws them like moths to a flame.

Mister D
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
There is no question, IMO, that our system attracts that kind of personality. Still, it may always have. That's actually a good idea for discussion. What has changed, if anything, in the US system that makes it draw in this kind of man?

wingrider
10-03-2011, 11:51 AM
before the advent of TV presidents and politicians were elected based on numerous characteristics, chief amoung them was honesty and integrity,

in todays tv run society men like Lincoln and taft could never have been elected.

Mister D
10-03-2011, 11:57 AM
before the advent of TV presidents and politicians were elected based on numerous characteristics, chief amoung them was honesty and integrity,

in todays tv run society men like Lincoln and taft could never have been elected.

Interesting point. Until Lincoln proved his mettle he was mocked even by members of his cabinet. Privately of course...

Conley
10-03-2011, 11:58 AM

I agree. Also not just the TV but also our society doesn't have an attention span any more. Sitting around the radio (or even the TV) for an hour to listen to our leaders? Not going to happen. Also these debates where they invite eight people or so. Everyone has to give answers to 'fixing the economy' or 'peace in the middle east' in two minutes? It's absurd.

Mister D
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
How were debates conducted in the past?

wingrider
10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
First Kennedy Nixon Debate (September 26, 1960) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTSomm9QYo#)

here is how it started , see the difference between debates in 1960 and today

Conley
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Great vid LoVE.

They're so civil and respectful.

Jeez I wish our society was still like that. :-\

Mister D
10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Great vid LoVE.

Not just civil and respectful but they donpt seem to be parroting soundbites and looking for applause. It's just more serious.

Conley
10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Great vid LoVE.

Not just civil and respectful but they donpt seem to be parroting soundbites and looking for applause. It's just more serious.

Yep. As much as I love Ron Paul the applause gets to be a bit much. I also don't appreciate the booing of soldiers. People should just be quiet and listen.

Mister D
10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Great vid LoVE.

Yep. As much as I love Ron Paul the applause gets to be a bit much. I also don't appreciate the booing of soldiers. People should just be quiet and listen.

Ugh...the applause and/or booing really gets under my skin.

jgreer
10-03-2011, 03:27 PM
So where did it all go wrong?

Conley
10-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Society changed. I don't think it started with the politicians. Our culture changed and therefore the politicians we chose changed as well.

Mister D
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Society changed. I don't think it started with the politicians. Our culture changed and therefore the politicians we chose changed as well.

Right. I'm not trying to pin this on the pols. It's a mess we all created.

Conley
10-03-2011, 05:41 PM

I blame our parents ;D

Mister D
10-03-2011, 05:47 PM

I blame our parents ;D

So do I. >:( No joke. But our generation contributes just as much.

Conley
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM

I blame our parents ;D

Yeah, I was half joking half serious. It's like a lot like Dubya and then Obama...our parents generation messed it up to start and now our generation is making it even worse. :-\

Mister D
10-03-2011, 05:52 PM

I blame our parents ;D

Yeah, I was half joking half serious. It's like a lot like Dubya and then Obama...our parents generation messed it up to start and now our generation is making it even worse. :-\

I do think more of us get it though if only because we've seen the results.

Conley
10-03-2011, 05:56 PM
You think our generation gets it more than the one that preceded it?

Mister D
10-03-2011, 06:05 PM
You think our generation gets it more than the one that preceded it?

Well I guess that's where things get dicey. Get what would be the question I would ask and people would have different answers.

Conley
10-03-2011, 06:09 PM
My feeling is that our generation is the most spoiled and oblivious, consumed by consumerism, and generally lazy. I don't really have a sense of the younger generation coming up but my hunch is that they are even worse than us. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Mister D
10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
My feeling is that our generation is the most spoiled and oblivious, consumed by consumerism, and generally lazy. I don't really have a sense of the younger generation coming up but my hunch is that they are even worse than us. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more I am coming over to your side. Spoiled and oblivious is a good description although I meet plenty of politically interested people. Not so sure now...

Conley
10-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Now that I'm thinking about it a bit more I am coming over to your side. Spoiled and oblivious is a good description although I meet plenty of politically interested people. Not so sure now...

They definitely exist but it seems to me that people my parents age are more into politics and actually paying attention. I have a few friends who were into the whole Obama thing but in talking to them you could tell they didn't really know what he was about. Now that the bloom is off they are back to not caring (rather than critically evaluating Obama). The longer the country goes on like this the fewer people will remember a time when Dems and Repubs worked together for the good of the country instead of the constant bickering that we have now. It seems a distant memory.

Mister D
10-03-2011, 06:38 PM

They definitely exist but it seems to me that people my parents age are more into politics and actually paying attention. I have a few friends who were into the whole Obama thing but in talking to them you could tell they didn't really know what he was about. Now that the bloom is off they are back to not caring (rather than critically evaluating Obama). The longer the country goes on like this the fewer people will remember a time when Dems and Repubs worked together for the good of the country instead of the constant bickering that we have now. It seems a distant memory.

I had a girl living in my old apartment (not my type) and she had this Rolling Stone Magazine poster of Obama in her room. ::)

I think Rush makes a good point when he says that political debate has always been vociferous. The only thing I would say is that it seems so much more trivial now.