PDA

View Full Version : End of No Child Left Behind

Conley
09-30-2011, 01:35 PM
States are lining up to drop out of No Child Left Behind, the education initiative that was promoted as a historic achievement of the Bush administration.

Since President Barack Obama announced last month that he would sign an executive order allowing states to request waivers from mandatory participation in the program, at least 27 have signaled that they will ask to opt out, and most others are reviewing their options.

Obama said states could seek waivers as long as they adopt higher standards than those mandated under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as No Child Left Behind is formally titled. The Education Department said most states had already done that, presumably making them eligible for waivers.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan — who himself had to follow No Child Left Behind when he was chief executive of the Chicago Public Schools from 2001 to 2008 — isn't just offering the waivers. He's actively encouraging education officials to apply for them, he said, because "No Child Left Behind is fundamentally broken."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44693695/ns/today-education_nation/#.ToYK1dQg0dV

I don't quite understand what's wrong with 'teaching for the test'. Also, what does it mean by adopting 'higher standards' as a license to leave the program? Does that mean the states are requiring higher test scores? If not by using a test how are they establishing these standards?

Mister D
09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
How can anyone call Bush a conservative (let alone an extremist) after he opropsoed and implemented these big government schemes?

Conley
09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Agreed. About the only conservative thing he did was cut taxes.

Mister D
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Agreed. About the only conservative thing he did was cut taxes.

True dat. Neocon = big government conservative = liberal

Conley
09-30-2011, 02:21 PM
It is remarkable in hindsight to see how he orchestrated the federal government sticking its nose into the states' education systems. I'm sure he thought he was doing a good thing but it is the opposite of everything conservatives stand for.

Mister D
09-30-2011, 02:29 PM
It is remarkable in hindsight to see how he orchestrated the federal government sticking its nose into the states' education systems. I'm sure he thought he was doing a good thing but it is the opposite of everything conservatives stand for.

It sure is.

MMC
09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
There is no difference between Neo-Cons and Neo-Libs. Except for one.....that is, Who's in Charge! >:(

Mister D
09-30-2011, 03:08 PM
There is no difference between Neo-Cons and Neo-Libs. Except for one.....that is, Who's in Charge! >:(

Well put. Quoted for truth.

Elibe
10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
more proof that bush was a hypocrite

obama is still working at undoing all the mistakes he made, this is just another one

jgreer
10-01-2011, 10:47 AM

obama is still working at undoing all the mistakes he made, this is just another one

You nailed it. Dubya was a train wreck for which we are still paying the piper.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 11:56 AM

How so?

jgreer
10-01-2011, 12:40 PM

How so?

In so many ways. When he first campaigned he said he was against nation building, then he ended up a complete neohawk by nation building in Iraq. Anyway he is ancient history and we'll be paying for his mistakes (literally) for generations. Obama is not perfect either, not by a long shot, but I don't think any president could fix our problems in three years.

Conley
10-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree that Bush caused a lot of problems with his spending and expansion of government, but Obama has done nothing but continue that. He is part of the problem and hasn't had any solutions that I've seen.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I agree that Bush caused a lot of problems with his spending and expansion of government, but Obama has done nothing but continue that. He is part of the problem and hasn't had any solutions that I've seen.

Exactly. Greer, if you want condemn the whole system I can agree with you but it seems to me that you want to give the Democrats a pass.

MMC
10-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Well of course if we look at the Legislation that is being pushed forth by John Kerry For Nation Building and Infrastructure in Foreign Countries, and to help promote that New Version of Democracy. Then the those on the left might have something to talk about. Again there is no difference between Neo-Cons and Neo-Libs. ::) ;)

Elibe
10-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Exactly. Greer, if you want condemn the whole system I can agree with you but it seems to me that you want to give the Democrats a pass.

the system isn't perfect but just because two groups are to blame doesnt mean they share the same amount of responsibility. think of it like this: the republicans have robbed and murdered, the democrats are just driving the getaway car.

Mister D
10-02-2011, 10:45 AM

the system isn't perfect but just because two groups are to blame doesnt mean they share the same amount of responsibility. think of it like this: the republicans have robbed and murdered, the democrats are just driving the getaway car.

It's not a matter of the system being imperfect. It's a matter of the system being closed and corrupt. The Democrats are as much to blame as the GOP but by all means keep cheer leading for them. Just don't expect me to pretend you're being consistent.

Conley
10-02-2011, 11:03 AM

:D So we agree they all belong in jail, the Democrats too.

Mister D
10-02-2011, 11:09 AM

:D So we agree they all belong in jail, the Democrats too.

Look at it like this: the Democrats belong in Juvenile Hall while the GOP belongs on Death Row. ;)

Elibe
10-02-2011, 03:57 PM

It's not a matter of the system being imperfect. It's a matter of the system being closed and corrupt. The Democrats are as much to blame as the GOP but by all means keep cheer leading for them. Just don't expect me to pretend you're being consistent.

why do you think both parties are equally in blame?

just because there are 2 of them?

Mister D
10-02-2011, 04:00 PM

why do you think both parties are equally in blame?

just because there are 2 of them?

No, because both parties spend irresponsibly and both parties work together to keep their monopoly on political power. Frankly, I just can't take the position of someone who complains about the system but cheer leads for Obama seriously. He's business as usual. Not referring to you, BTW.

Mister D
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Let me add that this Dem versus Repub partisan game is a distraction Americans too easily fall prey to. Sometimes I think this distraction is deliberate.

Conley
10-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I am convinced it is deliberate. But before you guys accusing me of being a crackpot I don't think the ancient Sumerians are behind it ;)

Mister D
10-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I am convinced it is deliberate. But before you guys accusing me of being a crackpot I don't think the ancient Sumerians are behind it ;)

Of course not. It's the Maya. ::)

MMC
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM

Forgetting that Democratic History are we? To think that if Republicans didnt get off their ass and do something. The Democrats would have made sure Women, Blacks, and Latinos would have no rights whatsoever.

Think of it this way.....the Democrats have the key to Vault and they keep sneaking in and taking other people's money. Then Spending other people's money. Then Wasting other people's money. Oh and lets not forget them always borrowing other people's money and wanting to pay it back always 10 years from now. Then lying to the American People saying All will save us money.

Elibe
10-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Forgetting that Democratic History are we? To think that if Republicans didnt get off their ass and do something. The Democrats would have made sure Women, Blacks, and Latinos would have no rights whatsoever.

Think of it this way.....the Democrats have the key to Vault and they keep sneaking in and taking other people's money. Then Spending other people's money. Then Wasting other people's money. Oh and lets not forget them always borrowing other people's money and wanting to pay it back always 10 years from now. Then lying to the American People saying All will save us money.

why do you say only the dems have the key to the vault and spending? dont you think those republican wars cost money?

seems to me you are only blaming the democrats. and democrats also are the ones who made sure women blacks and hispanics were counted. i dont see the tea party standing up for that.

MMC
10-03-2011, 10:40 AM

why do you say only the dems have the key to the vault and spending? dont you think those republican wars cost money?

seems to me you are only blaming the democrats. and democrats also are the ones who made sure women blacks and hispanics were counted. i dont see the tea party standing up for that.

How did Democrats help women, blacks and hispanics stand up and be counted? Yes Neo Cons wars cost. Just Like Neo libs. Doesnt make all Republicans Neo Cons does it? Did you forget that Democratic history. Especially about Women and other races of people. Oh, and the attempts at playing War.