PDA

View Full Version : Not the predicted results post Trumpslide

Peter1469
11-24-2016, 03:44 AM
Soaring Consumer Confidence: Are Americans Happy It's Trump, or Just Happy It's Over? (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-23/soaring-consumer-confidence-are-americans-happy-it-s-trump-or-just-happy-it-s-over)
Some predicted economic collapse if Hillary lost. And the DOW futures were 700 down in the early morning hours of 9 November. But the market shot up- and has broken records.

Even consumer confidence is up.

What's up America?

On the surface, the message from the University of Michigan's final reading of consumer sentiment for November is that President-elect Donald Trump will fix what ails the nation — fast.The consumer expectations index of the survey rose by 8.4 points from October to 85.2 — a one-month gain last exceeded in the December 2011 — a testament to households' optimistic view on the outlook for the U.S. economy and their own pocketbooks.
https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/ir29INAuNlQM/v0/360x-1.png

Source: Bloomberg

Tahuyaman
11-24-2016, 08:42 AM
Obviously the financial / business sectors believe that a Trump administration will be a business friendly environment.

I certainly hope so.

Common
11-24-2016, 09:46 AM
I want to see more prosperity for the working middleclass If i dont, I will consider trump a failure

Peter1469
11-24-2016, 10:10 AM
I want to see more prosperity for the working middleclass If i dont, I will consider trump a failure
That will take an economy that is much more robust than we saw in the last 9 years. About the only thing government can do is cut corporate taxes and eliminate harmful regulations.

The surge on Wall Street does show that the "big people" think things are good.

Peter1469
11-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Obviously the financial / business sectors believe that a Trump administration will be a business friendly environment.

I certainly hope so.

Hopefully so.

Tahuyaman
11-24-2016, 10:21 AM
That will take an economy that is much more robust than we saw in the last 9 years. About the only thing government can do is cut corporate taxes and eliminate harmful regulations.

The surge on Wall Street does show that the "big people" think things are good.

Trump's idea to reform the tax code to only three brackets would be a good thing as well. However, lowering the corporate tax and then removing the obstacles is an easy but effective fix.

Peter1469
11-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Trump's idea to reform the tax code to only three brackets would be a good thing as well. However, lowering the corporate tax and then removing the obstacles is an easy but effective fix.

I have long thought that there should be a separate business code for large and small business. Small businesses are very effectively controlled by the free market. Large businesses are not. They can distort markets.

And when they are using the same set of regulations - as they are now- large business tends to lobby congress for stricter / burdensome regulations for the sole purpose of harming their small business competitors.

But this will likely never happen.

Tahuyaman
11-24-2016, 10:35 AM
I have long thought that there should be a separate business code for large and small business. Small businesses are very effectively controlled by the free market. Large businesses are not. They can distort markets.

And when they are using the same set of regulations - as they are now- large business tends to lobby congress for stricter / burdensome regulations for the sole purpose of harming their small business competitors.

But this will likely never happen.

Agreed.

birddog
11-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Perception is important. Perhaps the antithesis to what is happening now was in the Fall of 2008 when it became obvious to large investors that Obama was going to be elected. I'm sure other factors contributed, but that was an important one to cause the SM crash.

valley ranch
11-24-2016, 11:49 AM

I think he'll be able to arrange that, with a little work and favorable treatment for business, and the taking of maybe a little less of what the middle class work for.

There's a lot to do, but, I think he intends to do it.

MisterVeritis
11-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Soaring Consumer Confidence: Are Americans Happy It's Trump, or Just Happy It's Over? (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-23/soaring-consumer-confidence-are-americans-happy-it-s-trump-or-just-happy-it-s-over)
Some predicted economic collapse if Hillary lost. And the DOW futures were 700 down in the early morning hours of 9 November. But the market shot up- and has broken records.
Even consumer confidence is up.
What's up America?
I admit it. I am partly to blame. In the last two weeks, I have invested about $350K. I will invest another $100K on Monday or Tuesday next week. So blame me. :grin:

del
11-24-2016, 12:33 PM
I admit it. I am partly to blame. In the last two weeks, I have invested about $350K. I will invest another $100K on Monday or Tuesday next week. So blame me. :grin:
okay, mick

give my best to morgan fairchild

MisterVeritis
11-24-2016, 12:35 PM
okay, mick
give my best to morgan fairchild
Alas, I never knew her. There was a time when I really, really wanted to.

suds00
11-24-2016, 02:53 PM
he hasn't taken office.wait to see what happens when any of his policies are adopted

Tahuyaman
11-24-2016, 05:10 PM
he hasn't taken office.wait to see what happens when any of his policies are adopted

Chances are that no matter what happens, many will ignore the actual results and make up something which fits their agenda.

Grizz
11-25-2016, 08:24 PM

The working middle class will have to risk. Prosperity doesn't just "happen".

MisterVeritis
11-25-2016, 09:22 PM
Can you tell me what you mean? Do people in the middle class have any role to play? Or do you see prosperity as something the federal government hands out?

Reform the tax laws and lower everyone's rates. Slash Leftist regulations to the bone. Get rid of minim wage laws. Let all do as much as they are capable of.

Don
11-25-2016, 11:35 PM

I'd call that a good start. Let that sink in for a year or two then come up with a whole new tax plan that doesn't include a need for an IRS and get the federal government as far away as possible from interfering with the economy.

Tahuyaman
11-26-2016, 09:03 AM
I'd call that a good start. Let that sink in for a year or two then come up with a whole new tax plan that doesn't include a need for an IRS and get the federal government as far away as possible from interfering with the economy.

Government is always going to have this need to micromanage the economy.