PDA

View Full Version : I have read here that Trump won by

AZ Jim
11-26-2016, 11:36 AM
A "landslide" and that he won a "mandate". Anyone making that declaration doesn't know the meaning of either word. He got more EC votes but only by a few and he is going into office having lost more popular votes than anyone else in over 140 years,well over two million.
So, take what you got and be happy but you got no landslide or mandate.

Private Pickle
11-26-2016, 11:41 AM
A "landslide" and that he won a "mandate". Anyone making that declaration doesn't know the meaning of either word. He got more EC votes but only by a few and he is going into office having lost more popular votes than anyone else in over 140 years,well over two million.
The fact that the mainstream media and the polls had Hillary winning in a "landslide"? Not to mention all the hubris the liberals had going in...

suds00
11-26-2016, 12:06 PM
how could every poll in the battleground states be wrong?the recount should be interesting.

Green Arrow
11-26-2016, 12:12 PM
This is another one of those "facts" like Obama winning by 5 million votes in 2012, that is extremely misleading. Yes, Hillary has 2 million more votes than Trump - but that amounts to less a percentage of the total vote than what Gore got in 2000. Her total was higher because the vote count was higher, because our population has ballooned since 2000. Obviously it would also be the highest margin in 150 years because 150 years ago our population was a fraction of what it is now. That 2 million only amounts to a 1.6% difference.

You're right, though, in that it's hardly a landslide and most certainly isn't a mandate for Trump.

Ransom
11-26-2016, 12:19 PM

You might have also heard Republicans held on to the House, took the Oval Office, and held on to the Senate where you Democrats have no less than 25 seats coming open for the 2018 elections. We going to attempt to politically destroy the American Left, make you about a popular as the Nazi Party in Israel. Obamacare...done. Dodd Frank....done. Exec orders....done. We're going to make it like Obama never was President, he lived by the pen and the phone, his legacy will die with a pen and phone as well, he's left with a legacy of destroying the Democrat Party.
As if Obama was a GOP Operative working from the inside. We couldn't manage to put you in the minorities you are today, you've the least representation since like 1922.

Tahuyaman
11-26-2016, 12:23 PM

I haven't heard anyone say that Trump won in a landslide. I have seen it said that his win was shocking to some or a huge surprise. Some have called it historic in nature.

Also, mandate isn't a word I've seen used much at all in describing his future presidency.

Liberals at some point in time will need to be forced to face the reality of the situation.

Captain Obvious
11-26-2016, 12:27 PM
The fact that the GOP swept everything makes the election a landslide.

Ransom
11-26-2016, 12:28 PM
This is another one of those "facts" like Obama winning by 5 million votes in 2012, that is extremely misleading. Yes, Hillary has 2 million more votes than Trump - but that amounts to less a percentage of the total vote than what Gore got in 2000. Her total was higher because the vote count was higher, because our population has ballooned since 2000. Obviously it would also be the highest margin in 150 years because 150 years ago our population was a fraction of what it is now. That 2 million only amounts to a 1.6% difference.

You're right, though, in that it's hardly a landslide and most certainly isn't a mandate for Trump.
Just stop it, Green Arrow. You can read an electoral map just as easily as I. Most of these states, even the ones that went Obama in 08 and 12 are solid red. Looking to districts across the Rust belt, Midwest, South, Ohio Valley, Gulf Coast, and even states like Virginia and Pennsylvania, even New Hampshire....the districts are solid red making the state look all but red. Virtually from the west coast of New Jersey to the east coast of Oregon, the entire nation is a sea of red.

Trump has a mandate, it's exactly why we sent him there. We no longer find relevant opinions otherwise. The Cabinet picks so far should tell, he's choosing agents of change from national security to education. We want a mandate given, we the People making up the nearly 65% of people who believe this nation is currently off course. We're going to right this ship and hopefully, toss some of the riff raff overboard.

Ransom
11-26-2016, 12:30 PM
I haven't heard anyone say that Trump won in a landslide. I have seen it said that his win was shocking to some or a huge surprise. Some have called it historic in nature.

Also, mandate isn't a word I've seen used much at all in describing his future presidency.

Liberals at some point in time will need to be forced to face the reality of the situation.

And hell with them if they don't.

decedent
11-26-2016, 12:47 PM
The fact that the mainstream media and the polls had Hillary winning in a "landslide"? Not to mention all the hubris the liberals had going in...

The polls were pretty accurate. Many predicted that she'd get more than 2% of the vote and she did. What they didn't predict is that this wouldn't translate into the electoral map.

Captain Obvious
11-26-2016, 12:48 PM
The polls were pretty accurate. They many predicted that she'd get more than 2% of the vote and she did. What they didn't predict is that this wouldn't translate into the electoral map.

I think Trump knew this all along.

Don
11-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Probably no landslide (Reagan over Mondale in 1984) but he did win the only part of the vote that counts by 13+%. Getting the house and senate was icing on the cake.

Tahuyaman
11-26-2016, 01:15 PM
And hell with them if they don't.

They will just bury themselves if they continue to respond as they have since the election. That's fine with me.

Green Arrow
11-26-2016, 01:26 PM
The fact that the GOP swept everything makes the election a landslide.
Not when you look beneath the surface. Democrats took both houses of the Nevada legislature and Alaska and New Mexico's lower houses. That's four new state legislative majorities to just three (Minnesota, Iowa upper and Kentucky lower) for the GOP. The GOP lost 3 U.S. Senate seats and 9 U.S. House seats.

Captain Obvious
11-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Not when you look beneath the surface. Democrats took both houses of the Nevada legislature and Alaska and New Mexico's lower houses. That's four new state legislative majorities to just three (Minnesota, Iowa upper and Kentucky lower) for the GOP. The GOP lost 3 U.S. Senate seats and 9 U.S. House seats.

But considering the predictions were strongly DNC takes all...

Green Arrow
11-26-2016, 01:31 PM
But considering the predictions were strongly DNC takes all...
Well, yeah, the Dems were expecting 15-20 House seats and like 6 Senate seats and got half. As well as losing the presidency in epic fashion.

I had Clinton winning too but the outcome of the Senate races is about what I expected. I don't care too much what they expected.

del
11-26-2016, 01:31 PM
I think Trump knew this all along.
the only person more surprised than hillary was trump.

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Landslide. If Trump's 306 electoral votes to Crooked's 232 electoral votes is not a landslide what would be?

Green Arrow
11-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Landslide. If Trump's 306 electoral votes to Crooked's 232 electoral votes is not a landslide what would be?
H.W. Bush's 426 to Dukakis's 111. Reagan's 489 and 525 to Carter's 49 and Mondale's 13. FDR's 472, 523, 449, and 432 to Hoover's 59, Landon's 8, Wilkie's 82, and Dewey's 99...

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 01:45 PM
H.W. Bush's 426 to Dukakis's 111. Reagan's 489 and 525 to Carter's 49 and Mondale's 13. FDR's 472, 523, 449, and 432 to Hoover's 59, Landon's 8, Wilkie's 82, and Dewey's 99...
I see. So a 70-100 vote difference is a close election? What about a 150 vote difference? It gives us something to shoot for in the next presidential election.

AZ Jim
11-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Trump will quit or be removed within 2 years and definitely won't serve 4. Write it down.

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Trump will quit or be removed within 2 years and definitely won't serve 4. Write it down.
I predict that Trump will be there for eight years. Then Pence will stay for another eight assuming Trump is successful at just a small number of things he promised to do.

Write it down. :grin:

Green Arrow
11-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Like when you said Hillary would win 325 electoral votes?

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Like when you said Hillary would win 325 electoral votes?
I wrote it down. Didn't you?

Green Arrow
11-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Matter of fact, only 7 presidential elections after 1900 saw the winner get less than Trump's 306. 1900 and before had too few electoral college votes to even be won for any candidate to get 306 or more.

stjames1_53
11-26-2016, 02:25 PM

sour grapes, much? ah know, ah know, somehow you've convinced yourself she won............ SHE LOST!!! get over it......

Ransom
11-26-2016, 02:33 PM
the only person more surprised than hillary was trump.
Not so and he did predict a win. He had data headquarters and marketers using social media, means other than traditional media to reach voters....Trump being a known name, they merely put a brand on it. I saw interviews with a confident Eric Trump weeks before the election, they were fairly confidant the polls were wrong. This election surprised many so don't feel alone in your surprise, Walnut. I, of course, can't help you with your anger, I was on the winning side. You, being the loser, can be helped understanding what happened to you, your anger you must reconcile yourself.

patrickt
11-26-2016, 02:55 PM

I am one of those who think the election was less "for Trump" than "against Clinton/Obama/Reid/Pelosi"

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 02:57 PM
I am one of those who think the election was less "for Trump" than "against Clinton/Obama/Reid/Pelosi"
Do your beliefs change who the next president will be?

Tahuyaman
11-26-2016, 03:25 PM

A wish isn't a reliable way to support a prediction.

Tahuyaman
11-26-2016, 03:27 PM

I was in that camp too. I'm not so sure about that any more.

Ransom
11-26-2016, 03:30 PM

Oh.....your last two months WERE written down, AZ Jim.......exposing you as a crass and wrong Member of this forum, your previous already written down error makes this request to write this down humorous. In 2 years, we'll be adding this to the pile of shiit you're already on record with.

:biglaugh:
I find that one a little unbelievable.(Trump taking Texas) Everything I see says it's 80% (or around that) for Trump. I hope it's true though. Either way, Trump is gone! - AZ Jim 10-24-2016

I think Arizona will go blue. Probably close but Clinton should pull it off. - AZ Jim 10-23-2016

My opinion is Trump is a coke user. - AZ Jim 10-10-2016
I'm enjoying Trump's death rattle, - @decedent (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1267) 10-11-16

He's actually, racist, homophobic and sexist. -AZ Jim 10-11-2016

Interesting, at this point, to observe the rare sight of a sinking ship - the GOP - @Standing Wolf (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1791) 10-11-2016

TRUMP cannot win! - Dr. Strangelove

And @MisterVeritis (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1287) your post 46 here.....f'n spot on.

In this sea of misery and wrong.......MisterVeritis is the hero on this thread. Everyone else wrong.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/71470-This-is-what-its-come-to-Wow/page8?highlight=Trump

AZ Jim
11-26-2016, 03:32 PM
I wrote it down. Didn't you?You were so worried you hid out for a month and only came back because Trump won, coward.

Ransom
11-26-2016, 03:36 PM
I mean MisterVeritis on there predicting a month ago that Trump would be very busy with his transition team...while our liberals who are today asking us to "write things down"......I mean....a f'n classic!

Ransom
11-26-2016, 03:37 PM
You were so worried you hid out for a month and only came back because Trump won, coward.
You wrote it down, AZ. And got it wrong. How could you have been so f'n wrong? What happened?

Ransom
11-26-2016, 03:40 PM
How'd Arizona go again......Jim?

Did you tell us to write those results down too, you lost by more than 4 points

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/arizona

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 03:43 PM
You were so worried you hid out for a month and only came back because Trump won, coward.
LOL. I came to read every day. One of the Mods was getting frisky with me. I have learned the best course of action for me when that happens is to stop posting for a month. Initially, I returned because Cigar made frequent mention of not wanting to come looking for me on the day after the election. I like it here. I am a member of another board that has some terrific posters. But I do not like the software.

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 03:45 PM
I mean MisterVeritis on there predicting a month ago that Trump would be very busy with his transition team...while our liberals who are today asking us to "write things down"......I mean....a f'n classic!
In fairness, I wavered one day. I cannot recall why. It was something Trump did in response to a taunt. But the next day my optimism returned. Trump is going to win.

AZ Jim
11-26-2016, 03:52 PM
In fairness, I wavered one day. I cannot recall why. It was something Trump did in response to a taunt. But the next day my optimism returned. Trump is going to win.
At the time I offered to make a substantial wager with a neutral holding the funds, you wouldn't do it.

MisterVeritis
11-26-2016, 04:27 PM
At the time I offered to make a substantial wager with a neutral holding the funds, you wouldn't do it.
True. Aren't you delighted that I have only accepted one bet? maineman likes to toss out the wager bait. I decline all bets for money, even on things I consider to be certain. Writing a tagline for the loser is harmless. Taking your money is not. You traded your life for your money. You should keep it.

Bethere
11-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Good times!

Ransom
11-26-2016, 05:56 PM

I'll take that wager and double it concerning what we should write down. I say Trump isn't impeached nor does he quit in two years. Deal?
Money where your pen is, Stick?

Ransom
11-26-2016, 06:03 PM
Good times!

Maybe one day your times will be great again. Not merely good.
:loser:

patrickt
11-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Bullshit, AZJim. I haven't seen anyone saying Trump won by a landslide or had a mandate. That's usually reserved for liberals. We did hear about the Clinton landslide but that was before people voted. We heard about the Blue Firewall, too, didn't we? That guaranteed Sen. Clinton a win in the electoral college, didn't it?

I didn't worry much about which Democrat was going to win and didn't vote for Clinton or Trump but the whining from the left has turned into severe diarrhea and fingernails on the blackboard. I'm really, really sorry your bought and paid for media lied to you. Suck it up.

Ransom
11-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Bull$#@!, AZJim. I haven't seen anyone saying Trump won by a landslide or had a mandate. That's usually reserved for liberals. We did hear about the Clinton landslide but that was before people voted. We heard about the Blue Firewall, too, didn't we? That guaranteed Sen. Clinton a win in the electoral college, didn't it?

I didn't worry much about which Democrat was going to win and didn't vote for Clinton or Trump but the whining from the left has turned into severe diarrhea and fingernails on the blackboard. I'm really, really sorry your bought and paid for media lied to you. Suck it up.

It really doesn't matter whether the win was a mandate or not, we're going to treat it like one. Trump even said, this was our last chance. The popular vote shows demographics changing, there are many sheep. But with a GOP House, Senate, and White House......the fact that the GOP will seat a conservative justice straight away....this is the time to act. Screw their media driven definitions of a mandate, let's govern the country. You've seen these man on the street interviews, you see the uninformed state of our Constituencies, these people are screaming for leadership. Let's give them some.

patrickt
11-26-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm always amazed at the people who talk about sheep as they blindly follow their leader, especially if he's a goat.

Captain Obvious
11-26-2016, 07:07 PM
lawlz

stjames1_53
11-26-2016, 07:50 PM
True. Aren't you delighted that I have only accepted one bet? maineman likes to toss out the wager bait. I decline all bets for money, even on things I consider to be certain. Writing a tagline for the loser is harmless. Taking your money is not. You traded your life for your money. You should keep it.
besides which, he wouldn't have paid anyway..............being a true democrat, he would have found a flaw, however minuscule, to avoid paying you anything.