PDA

View Full Version : After Election, Diversity Trainers Face A New Version Of 'Us Versus Them'

Captain Obvious
11-28-2016, 07:20 PM
What the hell is 'diversity training'?

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/11/28/503000392/after-election-diversity-trainers-face-a-new-version-of-us-versus-them

After the election, professional peacemakers may feel they have to work harder to tamp down heightened feelings of "us versus them" in the workplace.

Marcus Butt/Ikon Images/Getty Images
On election night, as it became clear that Donald Trump would be the country's next president, Dorcas Lind was feeling unsettled. With her children tucked in bed, Lind watched as the results trickled in and battleground states like Pennsylvania, Florida and North Carolina turned red on the TV map. She thought about work.
Maybe, she thought, this would be good for business. Or, maybe, it was time for a career change.
Lind is a diversity consultant in the health care industry. It's her job to go into companies and help them create inclusive environments for their employees.
For consultants like Lind, the election's polarizing nature, which especially divided the nation on issues of race, is two-fold. While it means some of their business will almost certainly boom, a new set of challenges emerges for the professional peacemakers. Now, they say, they have to work harder to tamp down heightened feelings of us versus them; they have to hear the concerns of people usually thought of as privileged; and they have to navigate a language minefield where the wrong word can ignite conflict.
Studying the maps of how people voted, Lind was disturbed by the stretch of red in her district, a New Jersey suburb, which she said had once been celebrated for its diversity. Like many others in the business, Lind equated a vote for Trump with a vote for intolerance.
"I thought that my whole career had blown up in front of me," said Lind, who has worked in the field for more than two decades and is founder and president of Diversity Health Communications. "I felt so absolutely overwhelmed with the depth of how much work had to be done. And on the other hand, I felt like I didn't even want to do the work. ... Given the results and how the map looked, I felt my work would be futile."

Common
11-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Diversity training is like incontinence training for piss their pants libs that are wretching and bemoaning having to live with Mr President Donald Trump. :)

Private Pickle
11-28-2016, 07:45 PM
What the hell is 'diversity training'?

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/11/28/503000392/after-election-diversity-trainers-face-a-new-version-of-us-versus-them

You get "diversity training" every time a military person is sent overseas. I don't think this story is as big as it suggests given the idea that we've been drone bombing Muslims into the 1st century for going on 15 years now. The problem will arise with the idea of "hearts and minds" which, IMO is an outdated ideology given the ability of communication and knowledge from the internet.
Will Trump stop worrying about the "hearts and minds" of individuals in Muslim countries? Will he take out the families of terrorists? Does he think "peace through superior firepower" is the ticket or does he think he can make inroads with a strategy that has been a complete failure over the last two presidents?

resister
11-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Someone get her a kotex.Poor baby

Private Pickle
11-28-2016, 07:52 PM
Diversity training is like incontinence training for piss their pants libs that are wretching and bemoaning having to live with Mr President Donald Trump. :)
Actually it's not all that bad if you look at the big picture. We had diversity training in Germany when we were first stationed there and it was enlightening despite the fact that I'm a fan of history. Culture is what we need to look at. How do people perceive the actions we may undertake everyday but to others (especially Western countries) affects our perception as a nation.

The interesting thing about this is that we all have the perception of the "American Traveler" and it really isn't a perception. It's a STEREOTYPE with truths. Many American citizens go to different countries expecting the same thing we expect here in the States. As a guy that lived in foreign countries for over 3 years I can tell you first hand (although anecdotal) that Americans expect the same thing from other countries as we do our own.

This is what leads us to being disrespected (outside of the FACT that we are the only Super Power and as such will receive vitriol respectively).

patrickt
11-28-2016, 08:46 PM
I had diversity training when I was a police officer. We had plenty of diversity but we hadn't had the training. It was three days and at the end we were each to say what wisdom we were taking home. When I was my turn I said, "Before I got here I had no idea who it was okay to hate. I didn't really hate anyone based on membership in a group but now I know that fundamentalist Christians, Jews, males, white males, conservatives, Republicans and heterosexuals are okay to hate. No one else is.

Most of the students laughed and nodded and the instructors hated me. That was okay since i was a white male heterosexual conservative.

Mister D
11-28-2016, 08:54 PM
I had soem diversity training or whatever in college. It was mandatory for freshmen. Obviously that had an effect. lol