PDA

View Full Version : Twenty Thousand African Slaves Buried Beneath New York City

Conley
10-01-2011, 06:46 PM
The remains of 20,000 African men, women and children have lain beneath the busy streets of New York for 300 years, waiting to tell their stories on the extent of slavery in the city.

In March 1992, leading African-America archaeologist Michael Blakey arrived at the burial ground in downtown Manhattan.

"I had read about these people documented as chattel, " he said. "Now I was going to learn about these Africans in New York as human beings."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3659397.stm

Any of you guys hear about this? I had no idea. Wonder if those Wall Street protesters will add this to their long list of grievances along with Mumia and pot legalization. ;D

Mister D
10-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Well we have known for centuries that there were in fact slaves throughout the American colonies. Where do people think they would have been buried when they died?

Conley
10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Half of them were kids under 12. I always thought slaves were expensive but I guess not when it was still legal in the North. Apparently they just worked them to death. I didn't think they'd just be dumped in mass graves but I guess that's what happened.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Evidence from the burial site revealed, for the first time, the enormous human cost of such work.

Half of the remains were of children under the age of 12. Women were usually dead by 40.

"It seems that it was cost effective for slave traders to work people to death and then simply to replace them, so they sought to get Africans who were as young as possible, but ready to work," said Mr Blakey.

It seems? Does it? What is the evidence for that? What work could a 12 year old really do? It seems more likely to me that these children were born in the New World. Who would pay for a 12 year old if the idea is to work them to death? ???

Conley
10-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Well we have known for centuries that there were in fact slaves throughout the American colonies. Where do people think they would have been buried when they died?

I didn't know slaves were so involved in the building of NYC. I think of them as plantation workers and figured they'd be buried somewhere on the land there. Having whole cities of slaves just goes against my mental picture.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 07:28 PM

I didn't know slaves were so involved in the building of NYC. I think of them as plantation workers and figured they'd be buried somewhere on the land there. Having whole cities of slaves just goes against my mental picture.

I'd wait for more research. Europeans have a habit of thinking the worst in these matters because of all the mayhem and destruction they have caused in the 20th century.

jgreer
10-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Evidence from the burial site revealed, for the first time, the enormous human cost of such work.

Half of the remains were of children under the age of 12. Women were usually dead by 40.

"It seems that it was cost effective for slave traders to work people to death and then simply to replace them, so they sought to get Africans who were as young as possible, but ready to work," said Mr Blakey.

It seems? Does it? What is the evidence for that? What work could a 12 year old really do? It seems more likely to me that these children were born in the New World. Who would pay for a 12 year old if the idea is to work them to death? ???

So you think they just died of natural causes? Of course not. I agree that they were probably born here though.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 08:09 PM

So you think they just died of natural causes? Of course not. I agree that they were probably born here though.

Gee, subtropical Negroes suddenly thrust into a New York winter? What could go wrong? Yes, I think it's highly likely that they died from natural causes.

Conley
10-01-2011, 08:15 PM
:D Give em some coats or something.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 09:19 PM

;D I'm sure the Negroes in question were given adequate clothing considering the cost of a slave. What I mean is that you are taking people from a very different environment and thrusting then into an alien environment. Of course they will be vulnerable to disease etc. Why don't you think Europeans weren't able to settle in Africa until the 19th century? Prior to the advent of modern medicine Africa was known as the white man's graveyard.

Conley
10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Or what happened to the natives in the New World when the Euros arrived carrying their diseases. Not pretty.

Mister D
10-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Or what happened to the natives in the New World when the Euros arrived carrying their diseases. Not pretty.

True. The Indian population did rebound after a century or so. The populations of some South American countries are predominantly Indian. Chile, Uruguay, and Argentina are mostly white but these areas were sparsely populated when Europeans arrived. In fact, many Europeans emigrated to these countries as late as the 20th century (including Nazi war criminals :o).

MMC
10-02-2011, 12:23 AM

;D I'm sure the Negroes in question were given adequate clothing considering the cost of a slave. What I mean is that you are taking people from a very different environment and thrusting then into an alien environment. Of course they will be vulnerable to disease etc. Why don't you think Europeans weren't able to settle in Africa until the 19th century? Prior to the advent of modern medicine Africa was known as the white man's graveyard.

Eiffel 65 - I'm Blue (da ba dee) (in HD) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suMaFXb7uPc#ws)

Perk.....Thrust into an ALIEN ENVIRONMENT EH. :D ;)

Mister D
10-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Could it be that African slaves were really brought to America by ETs? I mean who in their right mind would bring a bunch of black people to where they've decided to live? It just doesn't make any sense and I think mainstream historians have some explaining to do. :o ;D

MMC
10-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Could it be that African slaves were really brought to America by ETs? I mean who in their right mind would bring a bunch of black people to where they've decided to live? It just doesn't make any sense and I think mainstream historians have some explaining to do. :o ;D

:D I couldnt resist.....Non-Believer. >:D :P

Conley
10-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Georgie's hair. You can't explain it.

Mister D
10-02-2011, 09:23 AM
His hair changes from a lot from the first episodes into the later ones. His skin tone even changes from the first episode. He got noticeably darker. A tan perhaps? Perhaps he had gone on vacation? That's plausible but it could be that he's an alien. ;)

MMC
10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Georgie's hair. You can't explain it.

Yes I can.....he was told not to stick his fingers into the electrical outlets. He just has a thing about electrical devices. :D

Conley
10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
His hair changes from a lot from the first episodes into the later ones. His skin tone even changes from the first episode. He got noticeably darker. A tan perhaps? Perhaps he had gone on vacation? That's plausible but it could be that he's an alien. ;)

He's the conduit! The messenger! It all makes sense now. 8)