PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 is forever

Common
12-01-2016, 07:35 PM
I work from time to time in friends custom computer and repair shop.

He tells me windows 10 will be the last windows. No win 11 or 12

It will remain 10 and constantly be updated but of course many updates will cost you. No one is quite sure how its going to work as of yet.

But its microsoft so you will get soaked one way or another.
I will run win 7 until the last minute of the last day that I can

Chris
12-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Right, but it won't be forever...

https://s11.postimg.org/tal935zmb/microsoft_mobile_devices_1.png

Common
12-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Well nothing is forever

resister
12-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Well nothing is foreverVery true

Cthulhu
12-01-2016, 08:08 PM
The best thing for the market to do if they hate being trapped by windows is to give Linux an honest go.

If even another 15℅ of users switched over that would change how Microsoft does things.

Fear profits a man nothing.

Chris
12-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Or Android.

Or the next, as I hear Google and Apple are working together on a new OS.

Common
12-01-2016, 08:46 PM
The best thing for the market to do if they hate being trapped by windows is to give Linux an honest go.

If even another 15℅ of users switched over that would change how Microsoft does things.

We were talking dual booting linux yesterday

Cthulhu
12-01-2016, 09:21 PM
We were talking dual booting linux yesterday
*fist pump*

Fight the power man, fight the power.

Peter1469
12-01-2016, 09:29 PM
I just got an HP specter 2- it is loaded with Windows 10.

Safety
12-01-2016, 09:51 PM
There are Chinese tablets out that dual boot android and windows. Pretty useful for those that use apps most of the time, but need a full software program every now and then.

Common
12-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Or Android.

Or the next, as I hear Google and Apple are working together on a new OS.

I dont think android would be good for desktops

Common
12-01-2016, 10:14 PM
*fist pump*

Fight the power man, fight the power.

Linux has advanced and it might very well be as good as windows. Like always its software developers dont write to it. So you are limited to what software you can run.

Im going to put linux on my laptop, i dont need much software on there.

Common
12-01-2016, 10:15 PM
I just got an HP specter 2- it is loaded with Windows 10.
Is that a tablet

Peter1469
12-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Is that a tablet

It is a hybrid. A tablet with a keyboard that it attaches to. Just got it today. Still checking it out.

Standing Wolf
12-01-2016, 10:25 PM
I bought a new desktop a few years ago and made a huge mistake by letting somebody put Windows 8 on it. Now they tell me that Windows 10 is like Windows 8, in all the myriad ways I despise, only more so. I still have Windows 7 at work and love it, but the IT guys at work tell me there's no way to get Windows 8 off of my home desktop and load 7 onto it. Windows 8 sucks, and I can only imagine 10 sucks harder. I'm ready to do something.

Don
12-02-2016, 12:43 AM
Windows 10 is OK. I think it works better on newer computers. Microsoft said that Windows 10 would be the last and that they would just keep updating it. No windows 11 or Vista supreme or anything like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they renamed it though. "Windows" is old and sounds dumb now. Maybe MOS like they used to have DOS.

When they said Windows 10 would be the last I don't think they meant forever. 5 or 10 years from now someone might develop a radical new computer that needs a radical new interface or operating system. Something else about Microsoft. Bill Gates said years ago that having the best didn't matter as much as making people need what you have. Microsoft is so entrenched in business software and so many software developers have made their software compatible with Microsoft operating systems on PC's they will be around til someone develops a system that truly can compete with them and replace them as the top dog. I'm sure Microsoft will be keeping an eye out for that. I'm betting that the company isn't forgetting what their founder said.."Success is a menace, it seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."

FindersKeepers
12-02-2016, 09:02 AM
I bought a new desktop a few years ago and made a huge mistake by letting somebody put Windows 8 on it. Now they tell me that Windows 10 is like Windows 8, in all the myriad ways I despise, only more so. I still have Windows 7 at work and love it, but the IT guys at work tell me there's no way to get Windows 8 off of my home desktop and load 7 onto it. Windows 8 sucks, and I can only imagine 10 sucks harder. I'm ready to do something.

Windows 10 is not as bad as 8 -- not by a long shot. I resisted until I bought a new desktop a couple of months ago - and it came with 10 installed.

The interface is fast -- it's intuitive -- but it has a little spy in it -- Cortana. Cortana is a search engine/monitor of all you do. LOL

I disabled Cortana in the settings but, after the last update, it now restarts itself in the background. I just keep Task Manager running and check it every day or so -- when Cortana restarts -- I end the process. It takes a few times to make it "stick" but then it stays off until you either restart your PC or it updates. Then, I do it again.

Chris
12-02-2016, 09:08 AM
I dont think android would be good for desktops

Been using as desktop. May not be a gaming platform but as an office platform and regular at home machine it's fine.

Chris
12-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Windows 10 is not as bad as 8 -- not by a long shot. I resisted until I bought a new desktop a couple of months ago - and it came with 10 installed.

The interface is fast -- it's intuitive -- but it has a little spy in it -- Cortana. Cortana is a search engine/monitor of all you do. LOL

I disabled Cortana in the settings but, after the last update, it now restarts itself in the background. I just keep Task Manager running and check it every day or so -- when Cortana restarts -- I end the process. It takes a few times to make it "stick" but then it stays off until you either restart your PC or it updates. Then, I do it again.

Agree, Windows 10 is fine. But it will slow down older machines.

exotix
01-05-2017, 07:11 PM
I still have an 'ol Windows 95 machine ... I'm keeping it until its worth $822,000.

resister
01-05-2017, 07:13 PM
I still have an 'ol Windows 95 machine ... I'm keeping it until its worth $822,000.Your gonna have to outlive Methusala.

Don
01-06-2017, 03:31 PM
I still have an 'ol Windows 95 machine ... I'm keeping it until its worth $822,000.

I wish I had kept my Tandy computer with a 5.25 floppy and 128K memory and Microsoft DOS. I upgraded it to 640K memory and added a 3.5 drive and a 20 MB external hard drive and eventually Microsoft DOS 5.0. It wasn't all that bad for those days but I was still jealous of friends who had the 286 computers.

AZ Jim
01-06-2017, 03:37 PM
I still have an 'ol Windows 95 machine ... I'm keeping it until its worth $822,000.Hang in there, it may be awhile! LOL

Beevee
01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
I use Windows 10 which updates every day, sometimes twice a day and knocks out my speakers every time. So I have to do a restart.
I looked up the problem and I am told I have to update the speakers. I looked up where to find the speakers and found the them. It tells me I must remove the program before I do an update. There are about 10 different references to speakers.
I don't really like doing things like that. So, I'm stuck with the problem or have to pay to get it fixed. Then, knowing Windows 10, there will be another problem. So, I will look it up......

DGUtley
01-06-2017, 03:51 PM
I just upgraded from 7 or 8. I hate it.

FindersKeepers
01-10-2017, 08:57 AM
I just upgraded from 7 or 8. I hate it.

I don't care for it. I keep Task Manager running in the background and check it frequently. Cortana -- the search-and-spy-on-you program is tough to delete and then, it reinstalls itself.

Somewhere in the Windows 10 agreement screen, it probably says that acceptance of the program constitutes permission to be spied upon, but I don't care for that. I just keep ending the process. I wonder how long it will take until they create a process that you can't manually kill? At least not if you only have my limited puter skills.

I'd actually like to find an app that will kill the Cortana process for good. I'd pay for that.

Peter1469
01-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Aren't there open-ware programs out there people have developed for this stuff? I though I saw something a while back. Not sure if it could screw up your system....

Dr. Who
01-10-2017, 11:51 PM
I don't care for it. I keep Task Manager running in the background and check it frequently. Cortana -- the search-and-spy-on-you program is tough to delete and then, it reinstalls itself.

Somewhere in the Windows 10 agreement screen, it probably says that acceptance of the program constitutes permission to be spied upon, but I don't care for that. I just keep ending the process. I wonder how long it will take until they create a process that you can't manually kill? At least not if you only have my limited puter skills.

I'd actually like to find an app that will kill the Cortana process for good. I'd pay for that.

The sad thing is that young people don't seem to care that they are being spied upon constantly. That's why MS can add these apps to their operating system. The majority doesn't care that they are constantly being monitored. I'm convinced that we will start microchipping people within the next ten years and people will volunteer to be microchipped.