PDA

View Full Version : A serious message.

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:16 PM
When I was a kid doctors recommended certain cigarette brands over others as more "favorable or better filtered". Those ads meant little because my mom smoked Phillip Morris and that was the kind I started with. I'd steal 'em from mom one at a time. I was 11. I smoked until I was 56. Then I quit. I had already done some damage to my body. I have COPD and have had other health since I quit.

That was small time. Now I am sitting here with one thing on my mind. What did this last CT say? Are the two masses in my lung benign or malignant? Yep, after all those years I thought I had quit in time, I now find out differently. I am worried. Not for me, for my wife. She is somewhat disabled and without me she would need help. I will know within a couple of days what is next. Meanwhile I have grown to think of you, republican and democrat alike as people I care about so I want to appeal to you. if you smoke or have a family member who does, for heavens sake, QUIT! Stop it. Jim

Peter1469
12-02-2016, 08:22 PM
When I was a kid doctors recommended certain cigarette brands over others as more "favorable or better filtered". Those ads meant little because my mom smoked Phillip Morris and that was the kind I started with. I'd steal 'em from mom one at a time. I was 11. I smoked until I was 56. Then I quit. I had already done some damage to my body. I have COPD and have had other health since I quit.

That was small time. Now I am sitting here with one thing on my mind. What did this last CT say? Are the two masses in my lung benign or malignant? Yep, after all those years I thought I had quit in time, I now find out differently. I am worried. Not for me, for my wife. She is somewhat disabled and without me she would need help. I will know within a couple of days what is next. Meanwhile I have grown to think of you, republican and democrat alike as people I care about so I want to appeal to you. if you smoke or have a family member who does, for heavens sake, QUIT! Stop it. Jim
I wish you the best.

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:23 PM
I wish you the best.Thank you, it is a terrible worry. I have never felt so helpless.

Peter1469
12-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Thank you, it is a terrible worry. I have never felt so helpless.
I will send you a PM.

FindersKeepers
12-02-2016, 08:27 PM

My thoughts are with you, Jim. I fervently hope that the masses turn out to be benign. (((hugs)))

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:30 PM
My thoughts are with you, Jim. I fervently hope that the masses turn out to be benign. (((hugs)))Thanks T...I really needed the extra hug tonight.

MisterVeritis
12-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Deep regrets. I hope you will get good news.

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Deep regrets. I hope you will get good news.Thanks. I hope if any smokers read this, they get it.

Common Sense
12-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Good luck buddy. I hope you're alright...for yours and your family's sake.

Ravens Fan
12-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Jim, I truly hope that they turn out to be benign. I have said before and will say again, I would never wish cancer on anybody. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private Pickle
12-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Oh good. I could use a good, serious massage.

Crepitus
12-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Hoping for good news for you sir.

resister
12-02-2016, 08:42 PM

AZ JIM, ismoke and i'm 36.Quit for a year,a and a half ago.Foolishly, started back.Thinking seriously bout quitting again.The best to you and your other.

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:46 PM
AZ JIM, ismoke and i'm 36.Quit for a year,a and a half ago.Foolishly, started back.Thinking seriously bout quitting again.The best to you and your other.Please quit. I made it to 80 thinking I had beat the lung issue only to find a dry cough, and a pain in my lower side/back. Masses. Benign or malignant, it is due to cigarettes.

Tricia
12-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Oh, Jim. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, for you and your family. I wish I was there to give you a big hug friend.

Common
12-02-2016, 08:50 PM

Jim, I hope this gives you some solace. I started smoking at 12 and quit 3 times for two years each and finally quit for good 7 yrs ago.

5 yrs ago Pulmonary Dr found a mass in my lung hiding behind my heart. They couldnt biopsi it because of my chest mass the distance was too far. So they sent me for CT scan. Well I had a ct scan every six months for 2 yrs then every year for two years. Not cancerous, its scar tissue, I have to go for one more in two years.

You dont have cancer :) keep your chin up, its scarey but more than likely its benign

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Oh, Jim. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, for you and your family. I wish I was there to give you a big hug friend.Thank you Tricia, I feel your hug and it comforts. I am old but I need to stick around for my wife. Thanks again lady.....

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Jim, I hope this gives you some solace. I started smoking at 12 and quit 3 times for two years each and finally quit for good 7 yrs ago.

5 yrs ago Pulmonary Dr found a mass in my lung hiding behind my heart. They couldnt biopsi it because of my chest mass the distance was too far. So they sent me for CT scan. Well I had a ct scan every six months for 2 yrs then every year for two years. Not cancerous, its scar tissue, I have to go for one more in two years.

You dont have cancer :) keep your chin up, its scarey but more than likely its benignThat DOES help. I hope I have the same luck. Thanks for giving me a little hope.

AZ Jim
12-02-2016, 08:55 PM
I have to go for awhile but I'll bb later. Thanks for your support, it helps....

resister
12-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Please quit. I made it to 80 thinking I had beat the lung issue only to find a dry cough, and a pain in my lower side/back. Masses. Benign or malignant, it is due to cigarettes.I really should , money, heath and a freer life.Thouhts and prayers for us all

DGUtley
12-02-2016, 09:20 PM

Jim, I will light a candle for you at Mass Saturday night. I will keep you in my prayers. Dave.

Chris
12-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear this, Jim. Hope for best.

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 09:56 PM

Jim, listen, we are with you at this time. Every one of us Republican, Democrat, Independent or other party. We know it is a difficult time for you but please know that my prayers are with you and your family. God is great and He is the Supreme Healer. He can work miracles if you only BELIEVE. Keep the faith and be strong for your family. You can and will make it! Do not fear for God is always near.

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 09:59 PM
AZ JIM, ismoke and i'm 36.Quit for a year,a and a half ago.Foolishly, started back.Thinking seriously bout quitting again.The best to you and your other.
Resister, you don't need that stuff in your life. It can only shorten it if you go too far. Please quit. You are stronger than your need for a cigarette. Always remember that there are those closest to you that could not bear the pain of losing you. So, Please Quit NOW!

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Oh, Jim. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, for you and your family. I wish I was there to give you a big hug friend.
I echo those comments exactly, Tricia.

gamewell45
12-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Jim, prayers on the way Bro. While it may be tough to do right now under the circumstances, try to keep positive thoughts. Let us know how it goes if you can.

Newpublius
12-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Keep your chin up. Thanks for posting that. My mom passed from a condition where smoking increases the risk.

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 10:15 PM

decedent
12-02-2016, 10:27 PM

Supposedly, lung masses are common and most are benign. Sometimes these things turn into opportunities to get everything sorted out. I wish you the best.

Standing Wolf
12-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Keep a good thought, Jim. We're behind you. I've been trying to get my sister to quit for years - unfortunately, she's in Indiana and I'm in Arizona, so I can only badger her so much long-distance. Maybe I'll risk her getting pissed at me and give it another run this weekend. Take care of yourself.

Beevee
12-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Sorry to read of your condition.

I had cancer over five years ago and beat it. If it turns out that you have it too, you can fight it and win.

PS. I was aged 70 then, so age is not a factor.

Ravens Fan
12-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Keep a good thought, Jim. We're behind you. I've been trying to get my sister to quit for years - unfortunately, she's in Indiana and I'm in Arizona, so I can only badger her so much long-distance. Maybe I'll risk her getting pissed at me and give it another run this weekend. Take care of yourself.

Unfortunately, no one will quit smoking until they are ready to themselves. I know because as hard as I try, I can't seem to either. But the point, none the less is, no matter how much badgering one receives, until they are ready to do it, it won't happen.

Beevee
12-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately, no one will quit smoking until they are ready to themselves. I know because as hard as I try, I can't seem to either. But the point, none the less is, no matter how much badgering one receives, until they are ready to do it, it won't happen.

Yes you can. Everyone has willpower and while you are alive you have the ability to exercise yours.
I stopped smoking on 30/11/1967. I did it by not smoking for an hour. After that hour I had reached my goal so the next target was 2 hours. Then 4 hours
After one day, the target was two days, then a week, then a month
I haven't smoked since but I still have a target. It's always 24 hours from now.

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 11:00 PM
Keep at her! It is worth getting her pissed at you if it will save her life!

resister
12-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Resister, you don't need that stuff in your life. It can only shorten it if you go too far. Please quit. You are stronger than your need for a cigarette. Always remember that there are those closest to you that could not bear the pain of losing you. So, Please Quit NOW!Thank you True Blue, my granny thru outta halffa one in 1986 and wen't back in tha house.I was 6 years old.Been at it pretty much since.Lookin ta quit.I know it is stupid

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Thank you True Blue, my granny thru outta halffa one in 1986 and wen't back in tha house.I was 6 years old.Been at it pretty much since.Lookin ta quit.I know it is stupid
That's the attitude! I know you can do it! No one else can do it for you except YOU. So, look at it this way. Make a choice. Do you want to hand over your precious life to a cigarette and have the cigarette win? Or do you value your life more and can turn to the cigarette and tell it to stay the hell away from you? The choice is entirely yours. Be sure to make the right and wise one! Because the choice you make could either save or imperil your life!

resister
12-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Keep at her! It is worth getting her pissed at you if it will save her life!Doubly true, the worse the addiction becomes

resister
12-02-2016, 11:28 PM
That's the attitude! I know you can do it! No one else can do it for you except YOU. So, look at it this way. Make a choice. Do you want to hand over your precious life to a cigarette and have the cigarette win? Or do you value your life more and can turn to the cigarette and tell it to stay the hell away from you? The choice is entirely yours. Be sure to make the right and wise one! Because the choice you make could either save or imperil your life!
If you have not seen it, see, the thread, the methamphatine scourge.

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 11:31 PM
Yes you can. Everyone has willpower and while you are alive you have the ability to exercise yours.
I stopped smoking on 30/11/1967. I did it by not smoking for an hour. After that hour I had reached my goal so the next target was 2 hours. Then 4 hours
After one day, the target was two days, then a week, then a month
I haven't smoked since but I still have a target. It's always 24 hours from now.
I, for one, am Very Proud of You, Beevee! I know the others here feel the same way! If you can do it others can too and they certainly should as they've all got someone who loves them and just couldn't bear losing them to a cigarette. Think about it. It just isn't worth it!

Captain Obvious
12-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Jim - be strong, the biggest part of beating this is knowing you're going to beat it.

TrueBlue
12-02-2016, 11:33 PM
If you have not seen it, see, the thread, the methamphatine scourge.
Thanks for the heads-up! Everyone now struggling with whether to quit or not should also be directed to that thread I'm sure.

resister
12-02-2016, 11:55 PM
I butchered the word, yall know what I mean(crank)

Don
12-03-2016, 12:29 AM

You quit for 18 months. That proves you can do it. Many people start up again and it sometimes takes several tries. You are still fairly young. Quit now.

Don
12-03-2016, 12:38 AM

Not much different for me. Started at about 14. Quit at 53 for over a year then started again for a few months then quit for the last time. I'm 66 now and I definitely don't have the lung capacity I would have had I not smoked. Smoking is bad but there are a lot of other things people get exposed to that also do damage over time. I hope your tests turn out good. Even if they don't you couldn't live in a better time on what they can do and the Phoenix area has some of the most advanced treatments and medical facilities in the world for heart conditions and or cancer. Prayers for you and your wife.

Hal Jordan
12-03-2016, 10:33 PM
My prayers are with you.

Newpublius
12-03-2016, 10:37 PM
Quit, now, damn, 36 months? Damn, give that shit up!

Boris The Animal
12-03-2016, 11:42 PM
Thanks. I hope if any smokers read this, they get it.
It was too late for my mother, Her problems were cardiovascular and she died from complications caused by a massive double stroke (both sides). She was 73 but a heavy smoker her whole life. So even though we do disagree on many things, you have my prayer and support, ya old codger ;)