PDA

View Full Version : Best Article on Trump win

midcan5
12-06-2016, 07:03 PM
This is the best piece I have read on election, and lots of data to back up point of view.

"So Trump did not appeal to “the working class.” Even among the white working class, he only really dominated in the South. His appeal was to low-education whites, not to any particular economic class."

"As Liam Donovan explains, according to exit polls, Trump only got 1 percent more of the white vote than Romney got. But there was a big shift in which whites he got. Relative to Romney, Trump was down 10 points among whites with college degrees, but up 14 points among non-college whites (the stand-in for the myth-encrusted white working class, or WWC)."

"Clinton’s popular vote margin is smaller than those of recent Democrats, but it’s bigger than those of many past winners, bigger than Bush’s in 2000, Carter’s in 1976, Nixon’s in 1968, or Kennedy’s in 1960."

"The most agonizing implication of the narrow loss is that everything mattered....Every decision to hype Clinton’s emails. Comey’s extraordinary violation of precedent. WikiLeaks. Clinton’s Goldman Sachs speeches. Her refusal to dissociate from the Clinton Foundation. Her poor retail politics. Trump not releasing his tax returns. Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan hiding out. Sanders tarnishing Clinton’s image among young people. Institutions standing by and doing nothing as Trump shredded democratic norms. The gamble that Trump’s misogyny and racism would render him unacceptable....Fake news on Facebook. Epistemological bubbles. Elite self-absorption. Hot take after hot take delivered to the choir. Americans making the contest into a crass reality TV show fueled by Facebook memes. The press refusing to cover policy."

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/30/13631532/everything-mattered-2016-presidential-electionhttp://news.groopspeak.com/a-woman-just-stood-up-to-trumps-latest-outburst-on-twitter-and-america-is-cheering-her-on/

'It’s the white resentment, stupid.'

And we may all need to read or re-read, 'It Can't Happen Here' by Sinclair Lewis

Chris
12-06-2016, 07:19 PM
So it's about race?

Safety
12-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Always have been with the uneducated. That's what Alexander H. Stephens said...

Tahuyaman
12-06-2016, 07:41 PM
This is the best piece I have read on election, and lots of data to back up point of view.

"So Trump did not appeal to “the working class.” Even among the white working class, he only really dominated in the South. His appeal was to low-education whites, not to any particular economic class."

"As Liam Donovan explains, according to exit polls, Trump only got 1 percent more of the white vote than Romney got. But there was a big shift in which whites he got. Relative to Romney, Trump was down 10 points among whites with college degrees, but up 14 points among non-college whites (the stand-in for the myth-encrusted white working class, or WWC)."

"Clinton’s popular vote margin is smaller than those of recent Democrats, but it’s bigger than those of many past winners, bigger than Bush’s in 2000, Carter’s in 1976, Nixon’s in 1968, or Kennedy’s in 1960."

"The most agonizing implication of the narrow loss is that everything mattered....Every decision to hype Clinton’s emails. Comey’s extraordinary violation of precedent. WikiLeaks. Clinton’s Goldman Sachs speeches. Her refusal to dissociate from the Clinton Foundation. Her poor retail politics. Trump not releasing his tax returns. Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan hiding out. Sanders tarnishing Clinton’s image among young people. Institutions standing by and doing nothing as Trump shredded democratic norms. The gamble that Trump’s misogyny and racism would render him unacceptable....Fake news on Facebook. Epistemological bubbles. Elite self-absorption. Hot take after hot take delivered to the choir. Americans making the contest into a crass reality TV show fueled by Facebook memes. The press refusing to cover policy."

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/30/13631532/everything-mattered-2016-presidential-electionhttp://news.groopspeak.com/a-woman-just-stood-up-to-trumps-latest-outburst-on-twitter-and-america-is-cheering-her-on/

'It’s the white resentment, stupid.'

And we may all need to read or re-read, 'It Can't Happen Here' by Sinclair Lewis

Gee..... That's sure a unique spin on the election.

Mark III
12-06-2016, 07:59 PM
It is a very long article, and all I could do right now was skim through it, but it looks great. I'm saving it for future reference.

Mister D
12-06-2016, 08:03 PM
So it's about race?
Or fascism. Or something...

Mister D
12-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Gee..... That's sure a unique spin on the election.

I know right? Who saw that coming? lol

Chris
12-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Always have been with the uneducated. That's what Alexander H. Stephens said...

It's what the OP said, "'It’s the white resentment, stupid.'" You're saying he's uneducated? He reads a lot.

Chris
12-06-2016, 08:19 PM

...emotive.

Tahuyaman
12-06-2016, 08:20 PM
I know right? Who saw that coming? lol

Such thoughtful and unique analysis.

Valishin
12-07-2016, 03:19 AM
Let's go with "or something" since the other options presented don't fit the evidence. They do fit the propaganda but then again propaganda ain't evidence.

DGUtley
12-07-2016, 04:38 AM
They just don't get it.

midcan5
12-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Another fascinating look at Trump's appeal. The thread OP covers the topic well, but I'm sure most won't read it. When the Devil is faced with Holy Water or a crucifix he melts, when a right wing ideologue is faced with the truth they too melt. It does seem fake news has grabbed the minds of the uneducated and I think the uneducated run the range of educational certificates.

'Donald Trump is a promoter: he promotes resentment and he promotes fantasy. “I play to people’s fantasies,” he wrote in his most famous book.'"The rich satisfactions of a politics of villainy! Complicated decades-long tales of technological advance and social change dissolve into the self-satisfied sneer on a hated face. All around me I saw it reproduced, mostly behind bars, on “Crooked Hillary” buttons and “Hillary for Jail!” sweatshirts and much, much worse. “Hillary Clinton murders children!” a middle-aged woman waiting in the two-mile-long line had shouted. “It’s been proved. Hillary Clinton rapes and murders children.”

Not long before I had learned from a small businessman, a produce wholesaler, that the former secretary of state was “a degenerate alcoholic”—a subtext of Trump’s frequent assertion that she “lacked the stamina to be president”—and that FBI director James Comey was on “suicide watch,” the latter words pronounced sarcastically and to a circle of nodding knowing grins, because of course thus far in their careers “the Clintons have killed at least twenty people.

”The words were tossed off calmly, by people with children and cars and jobs, people who watch television and attend PTA meetings and perhaps even read the newspapers. And of course listen to the radio, which had battened on Clinton conspiracy theories for decades. And so we had passed the hours waiting for him in that aircraft hangar by batting around above our heads two red, white, and blue beach balls with the words “Crooked Hillary” inscribed prominently upon them. Hit it! Hit it harder!"

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/12/22/the-real-trump/

"Men of factious tempers, of local prejudices, or of sinister designs, may, by intrigue, by corruption, or by other means, first obtain the suffrages, and then betray the interests, of the people." Federalist 10

Chris
12-07-2016, 11:19 AM
When the Devil is faced with Holy Water or a crucifix he melts....

Right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aopdD9Cu-So

And the man behind the curtain?

Chris
12-07-2016, 11:20 AM
They just don't get it.

Because something is happening here
But you don’t know what it is
Do you, Mister Jones?

--Dylan, "Ballad Of A Thin Man"