PDA

View Full Version : Gen. John Kelly Chosen For Homeland Security ......

MMC
12-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Trump has made his choice for Sec of Homeland Security. General Kelly. Another Marine. What say ye?

Donald Trump has chosen (http://linkis.com/www.cbsnews.com/news/Hq9tR) Gen. John Kelly to be secretary of Homeland Security. This makes Kelly now the third general to accept a position in the president-elect’s upcoming cabinet. Like Gen. Mattis, he is also a Marine. Trump’s team has yet to release a statement on the announcement.

http://media.townhall.com/townhall/reu/ha/2016/8/4ffd1414-d074-485c-b828-06f6733389d0.jpg

Kelly has served nearly 46 years in the Marine Corps. He oversaw military operations in Latin America while leading the U.S. Southern Commad earlier this year. Kelly also commanded American forces in Iraq during the war and served as aide to Leon Panetta and Robert Gates. Kelly has also lost a son in combat – Robert Michael Kelly was killed in Afghanistan in 2010.

Unlike other nominees, Kelly had not endorsed Trump during the election. He even suggested he was willing to serve in either a Democratic or Republican administration......snip~

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/jasonhopkins/2016/12/07/gen-john-kelly-chosen-for-homeland-security-n2256449

Cigar
12-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Thank God, an Mature Adult

:applause:

Cletus
12-07-2016, 12:23 PM
I'll have to wait and see on this one. Most of Trump's cabinet choices so far have been quite good. I am not questioning General Kelly's competence, but Homeland Security is a law enforcement agency. I question the wisdom of putting a military commander in charge of it.

Law enforcement and the military are two very different animals and I am not completely comfortable seeing law enforcement come under the umbrella of someone trained in a radically different mindset.

MMC
12-07-2016, 12:47 PM
I'll have to wait and see on this one. Most of Trump's cabinet choices so far have been quite good. I am not questioning General Kelly's competence, but Homeland Security is a law enforcement agency. I question the wisdom of putting a military commander in charge of it.

Law enforcement and the military are two very different animals and I am not completely comfortable seeing law enforcement come under the umbrella of someone trained in a radically different mindset.

I thought he might give it to Giuliani. Which I would rather see him there than SOS. I wasn't against him choosing General McCrystal for the spot.

So I don't have a problem with him picking General Kelly. At least we know he can Right a tight ship.

Cigar
12-07-2016, 01:34 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/20k7jg6.jpg

MMC
12-07-2016, 02:35 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/20k7jg6.jpg

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M776a876916d4df7ee7127e630081cc0aH0&w=300&h=214&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

texan
12-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Kind of like being on the golf course?

MMC
12-07-2016, 04:46 PM

They tend to forget about that, huh?

Docthehun
12-07-2016, 08:02 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-dhs-pick-gen-kelly-was-not-first-choice-of-immigration-hardliners-220547891.html

resister
12-07-2016, 08:39 PM
He sucks at golf too

Tahuyaman
12-08-2016, 11:08 AM

National security is more than a "law enforcement" issue. Treating our national security as a law enforcement issue is part of the problem.

MMC
12-08-2016, 01:35 PM
National security is more than a "law enforcement" issue. Treating our national security as a law enforcement issue is part of the problem.
The General knows how to handle it. Most of the leftness just gets upset that the General told BO peep what he didn't like hearing.

Top General Says Mexico Border Security Now ‘Existential’ Threat to U.S. .....

Marine Corps Gen. John Kelly, commander of U.S. Southern Command, has asked Congress this year for more money, drones and ships for his mission – a request unlikely to be met. Since October, an influx of nearly 100,000 migrants has made the dangerous journey north from Latin America to the United States border. Most are children, and three-quarters of the unaccompanied minors have traveled thousands of miles from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras.

“In comparison to other global threats, the near collapse of societies in the hemisphere with the associated drug and [undocumented immigrant] flow are frequently viewed to be of low importance,” Kelly told Defense One. “Many argue these threats are not existential and do not challenge our national security. I disagree.”

In spring hearings before the Senate and House Armed Services Committees, Kelly said that budgets cuts are “severely degrading” the military’s ability to defend southern approaches to the U.S border. Last year, he said, his task force was unable to act on nearly 75 percent of illicit trafficking events. “I simply sit and watch it go by,” he said. But the potential threats are even greater. Kelly warned that neglect has created vulnerabilities that can be exploited by terrorist groups, describing a “crime-terror convergence” already seen in Lebanese Hezbollah’s involvement in the region.

But Gen. Kelly says the poverty and violence prompting the migration have created a real threat to U.S. national security. Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala have the first, fourth and fifth-highest homicide rates in the world and “have left near-broken societies in their wake,” he said.

“Although there are a number of other countries I work with in Latin America and the Caribbean that are going in the same direction, the so-called Northern Triangle (Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras) is far and away the worst off.”

Given the concerns about militarization and “minimal Department of Defense resources” to confront security threats deeply rooted in social issues, Kelly said that the U.S. military mission in Central America has redirected its focus to the institutions in those countries that are involved in border and maritime security. But the attempts to hide U.S. military involvement in border security may have backfired, now that the U.S. needs the military’s help to protect the border more than ever.

“This region does not ask for much…. Some of my counterparts perceive that the United States is disengaging from the region and from the world in general,” Kelly said. “We should remember that our friends and allies are not the only ones watching our actions closely. …And in the meantime, drug traffickers, criminal networks, and other actors, unburdened by budget cuts, cancelled activities, and employee furloughs, will have the opportunity to exploit the partnership vacuum left by reduced U.S. military engagement.”.....snip~

[/URL][URL]http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2014/07/top-general-says-mexico-border-security-now-existential-threat-us/87958/ (http://www.defenseone.com/threats/2014/07/top-general-says-mexico-border-security-now-existential-threat-us/87958/)

Tahuyaman
12-08-2016, 01:39 PM
My point is, national security is much more than a law enforcement issue.

MMC
12-08-2016, 02:07 PM
My point is, national security is much more than a law enforcement issue.

Kelly told BO peep, and Congress that.

Kelly said that the U.S. military mission in Central America has redirected its focus to the institutions in those countries that are involved in border and maritime security. But the attempts to hide U.S. military involvement in border security may have backfired, now that the U.S. needs the military’s help to protect the border more than ever......snip~

Cletus
12-08-2016, 02:49 PM

True, it is more than a law enforcement issue. That is why we also have a Department of Defense. They have their job. Homeland has theirs.

Tahuyaman
12-08-2016, 04:15 PM
True, it is more than a law enforcement issue. That is why we also have a Department of Defense. They have their job. Homeland has theirs.

And their duties and responsibilities overlap. DHS should never have been created, but that's a different issue.

Grizz
12-08-2016, 05:51 PM
This Cabinet is shaping up to be one of the best in History.

Peter1469
12-08-2016, 06:06 PM
And their duties and responsibilities overlap. DHS should never have been created, but that's a different issue.

It should have been kept to its original purpose. It was suppose to consolidate the admin functions of 22 agencies to cut costs. And to merge the intelligence gathered by those agencies. That would have created real cost savings and streamlined the processing of intelligence information gathered.