PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Reynolds: Tax the blue zones

Professor Peabody
12-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Glenn Reynolds: Tax the blue zones

Glenn Harlan Reynolds 11:52 a.m. EDT October 19, 2015

A climate change tax measure Democrats and Republicans alike should get behind.

It’s already too late to stop global warming, say scientists. No matter what we do, sea levels will rise.

If we’re seriously worried about flooding from higher sea levels, then we want to make sure that areas that will be flooded in the future won’t be developed now. We want to limit the investment in buildings that will be swamped, and we want to limit the number of people who’ll have to move. And we want to encourage people who live in those areas now to move away in the near future, before they’re flooded.

That is, put a large and steeply-increasing tax on property located in areas scientists say are likely to be flooded because of global warming.

Such a tax may seem burdensome up front, of course, but if flooding is as big a problem as climate activists claim, today’s burdens are likely to be minor compared with the the problems prevented by limiting development in the blue zones that are destined to be flooded. Like the high fuel taxes designed to keep SUV-driving flyover types from burning too much gas, my proposed “blue zone tax” will affect behavior now in ways that will reduce costs in the future.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/10/19/glenn-reynolds-tax-blue-zones-climate-change-coastal-flooding-column/74186596/

What a great idea, tax the coastal areas that will be flooded by global warming. By doing this we can get out ahead of the damage and be prepared for the additional costs that Global Warming is sure to bring. To take that one step further I think we shouldn't allow re-building of areas damaged by warming induced hurricanes. This will result in a great cost reduction in the future.

http://www.ppic.org/content/images/PoliticalGeogFigure-2_web.png

The coast loving and global warming believing liberals will simply have to suck it up and pay much higher taxes to live in the global warming flood areas. I'm sure they won't complain.

Tahuyaman
12-11-2016, 04:26 PM
A left wing loon has advocated that Clinton voters should somehow refuse to pay federal income tax. Clinton voters dominate that region.

decedent
12-11-2016, 04:32 PM
What a great idea, tax the coastal areas that will be flooded by global warming. By doing this we can get out ahead of the damage and be prepared for the additional costs that Global Warming is sure to bring.

At least you admit to global warming. Progress has been made.

Tahuyaman
12-11-2016, 04:35 PM

If you believe in the hoax, you can pay for the priveledge.

MisterVeritis
12-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Warming. Cooling. Such is the nature of the Earth. I believe warming and prosperity go together. Tax rates cuts for all.

stjames1_53
12-11-2016, 05:34 PM
QUOTE=decedent;1840474]At least you admit to global warming. Progress has been made.[/QUOTE]

global warming, or climate change has been going on for billions of years.......now you want to take credit for that discovery?

Professor Peabody
12-11-2016, 05:44 PM
It's not man made if that's what you mean.

stjames1_53
12-11-2016, 05:48 PM
It's not man made if that's what you mean.

they are very busy destroying history to ever realize that this planet has gone through this a hundred times or more in the past.
He just discovered this, so don't confuse him with more truth

Professor Peabody
12-15-2016, 02:29 PM
they are very busy destroying history to ever realize that this planet has gone through this a hundred times or more in the past.
He just discovered this, so don't confuse him with more truth

There were Herbivore Dinosaurs and the vegetation to support them between 400 to 1200 miles from the North Pole about 60 Million years ago. The fossilized remains of both don't lie. Something cause the Earth to warm to that extent, man didn't exist and the fossils for oil were still walking around and growing from the ground. So what caused the Earth to warm that much? We know through indisputable fact that there were Herbivore Dinosaurs and the vegetation to support them between 400 to 1200 miles from the North Pole about 60 Million years ago.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/arcticdino/about.html

Don
12-15-2016, 02:58 PM
The last major ice age ended ~11,000 years ago. The warming period since then has allowed man to spread across the planet and become a technological society. That technology will help us adapt to future changes. That technology will help us thrive beyond the set rules of nature.

Beevee
12-15-2016, 03:09 PM
QUOTE=decedent;1840474]At least you admit to global warming. Progress has been made.

global warming, or climate change has been going on for billions of years.......now you want to take credit for that discovery?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I seem to recall Adam smoking like a million chimneys.

stjames1_53
12-15-2016, 03:33 PM
global warming, or climate change has been going on for billions of years.......now you want to take credit for that discovery?

Yes, I seem to recall Adam smoking like a million chimneys.[/QUOTE]

huh? are YOU taking credit or are you giving it to Adam?

Beevee
12-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Yes, I seem to recall Adam smoking like a million chimneys.

huh? are YOU taking credit or are you giving it to Adam?[/QUOTE]

Taking credit means achieving something, so not me. I post here as the forum idiot.

stjames1_53
12-15-2016, 05:20 PM
huh? are YOU taking credit or are you giving it to Adam?

Taking credit means achieving something, so not me. I post here as the forum idiot.[/QUOTE]

...noted previously