PDA

View Full Version : Trump Fans to Boycott Rogue One

IMPress Polly
12-11-2016, 05:49 PM
*sigh*

I'm sorry, but Donald Trump supporters have gone completely nuts over the last month. They're taking over Reddit, they're vandalizing homes, they're bombing churches, they're shooting up restaurants, and somehow it's all considered just a new normal component of American social discourse. Threatening people who dare say "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas" is their most current thing, but now we're moving on to movie boycotts it appears and at the top of the list is Rogue One: the upcoming Star Wars movie set for release on Friday.

There are two different Rogue One boycotts being organized within the Trumposphere (http://www.avclub.com/article/dumpstarwars-protesters-demand-rogue-one-be-safe-s-247186): one that simply opposes the casting of women and people of color in prominent roles ("You're stealing my childhood!" "Cultural appropriation!" Etc.) and another that objects to what Rogue One writer Chris Weitz has described as the movie's anti-hate themes. With naked lies about him of course. Oh the oppression.

Never have I been more interested in a Star Wars movie nor more determined to see one at the earliest possible date! Much as the boycott of Mad Mad: Fury Road by the so-called men's rights activist movement last year drew my attention to that film and caused me to go see it, similarly the boycott of Rogue One by Trump supporters tells me that this film is earning the right enemies. :tongue:

In all seriousness though, my interest in Rogue One is actually rooted in the trailers and early reviews that I've seen, which sure make it look and sound like the most unique and character-driven installment of the whole series, and the first to truly challenge our definitions of good and evil rather than mostly just painting it in Saturday morning cartoony black and white terms. The anti-Nazi elements are, in reality, hardly a new thing for this franchise. The villains' army has been known as Stormtroopers since the very first movie back in 1977 folks. It's got nothing to do with the rise of Trump (although I do find the fact that the Trump crowd objects...interesting). But the sense that I'm getting so far is that this will be a genuine war movie more than another Indiana Jones type live-action cartoon; sort of Star Wars meets The Hunger Games. That would certainly make it unique among the Star Wars movies and more interesting than the rest of the series to me! I mean not to knock The Force Awakens or anything, but while I liked the more diverse cast, the overarching storyline did seem a little overly familiar to me. While most people liked that about it, I prefer more original films and think this franchise needs a big change like this to really stand out from earlier generations of Star Wars films. I also just prefer character-driven movies and that topics like war be taken seriously more often in both movies and media more generally.

(I apologize for the set-up. I had to draw people's attention to this movie somehow and what better way on a politics-themed message board? :wink:)

Peter1469
12-11-2016, 05:52 PM
It is suppose to be a good movie.

resister
12-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Got any links that these crazy people are actually "Trump"supporters, or are you simply parroting lefty talking points?

IMPress Polly
12-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Concerning the movie boycott, try the link in the OP, oh ye of little faith! Contained therein are links to the original source material for the story, including the (amusingly failing) #DumpStarWars hashtag. Concerning the other stuff I mentioned, you know, if they're not Trump supporters then why do they scrawl Trump's name on the walls of the homes they vandalize, etc.?

resister
12-11-2016, 06:14 PM
You must excuse me if I don't trust lefty sources that say all the worlds evils are trumps fault.Keep drinkin that kool aid

Cigar
12-11-2016, 06:16 PM
They will Forgive or Forget ANYTHING, to protect their choice on Candidate. They will make Excuses, Lie or simply Deny anything Trump says or does.

It's truly a Joy to watch :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cigar
12-11-2016, 06:17 PM
You must excuse me if I don't trust lefty sources that say all the worlds evils are trumps fault.Keep drinkin that kool aid
It's a Lie :laugh:

resister
12-11-2016, 06:18 PM
They will Forgive or Forget ANYTHING, to protect their choice on Candidate. They will make Excuses, Lie or simply Deny anything Trump says or does.

It's truly a Joy to watch :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:What a Freudian slip, Project often?

IMPress Polly
12-11-2016, 06:20 PM
resister wrote:

The A.V. Club is not a "lefty source". It's a normal nerd culture news outlet. If you perceive it as left wing, that is a reflection of just how far to the right your own views actually are.

resister
12-11-2016, 06:20 PM
It's a Lie :laugh:

^ I know it is ^Thanks for the verification :kiss:

resister
12-11-2016, 06:21 PM
The A.V. Club is not a "lefty source". It's a normal nerd culture news outlet. If you perceive it as left wing, that is a reflection of just how far to the right your own views actually are.Thanks preciate that

Green Arrow
12-11-2016, 06:48 PM
LOL, good luck. The Star Wars franchise is about to become the most successful film franchise in history, the Marvel Cinematic Universe may be their only challenger for a long time.

I've been a Warsie since birth. You aren't taking it down.

Common
12-12-2016, 06:09 AM
The left is nothing less than hypocritical. The left calls for boycotts at the drop of a hat.
The right can boycott as well, suck it up

IMPress Polly
12-12-2016, 06:42 AM
I said nothing about your rights, Common. :rollseyes: I was just pointing out what I feel is the ridiculousness and hyper-sensitivity behind the boycott and the general attitudes of many Trump supporters.

Crepitus
12-12-2016, 07:24 AM
What a Freudian slip, Project often?

You should look up "Freudian slip" so you don't make that same mistake again.

Crepitus
12-12-2016, 07:27 AM
The left is nothing less than hypocritical. The left calls for boycotts at the drop of a hat.
The right can boycott as well, suck it up

Where did she say these people couldn't boycott whoever they wanted?

Are you trying to say she's not allowed to criticize what she sees as a silly idea?

Can you imagine how quiet it would be around here if we enforced that on trump supporters?

Standing Wolf
12-12-2016, 07:49 AM
I do find it interesting that someone involved with the film tweets about "hate" and some Trump supporters immediately assume that he's referring to their man.

When Avatar came out - which was essentially just a sci-fi Cowboys vs. Indians movie - many on the Right got bent out of shape because the film involved a big corporation directing mercenaries to destroy an indigenous people for financial gain, and some said that was "anti-military and anti-corporation". No recognition that killing innocent people and destroying a culture is evil and wrong.

I'm kind of surprised that nobody - unless I've just missed it - is boycotting the CW's Supergirl. Not only did they recently feature a female President (played by former Wonder Woman Lynda Carter), but Supergirl's adoptive sister just "came out" a couple of weeks ago. Shameless.

nathanbforrest45
12-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Trump supporters vandalizing houses? Me thinks you have this ass backwards dearie

http://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2016/11/trump-supporters-home-vandalized-swastika/

Common Sense
12-12-2016, 09:20 AM
I guess that whole dark side thing hits too close to home.

resister
12-12-2016, 09:35 AM
You should look up "Freudian slip" so you don't make that same mistake again.No need, cigar just displayed a perfect, text book example

nathanbforrest45
12-12-2016, 09:36 AM
The vast majority of the movies out today are left wing puff pieces and have nothing to do with "evil people doing evil things" If that's the case why are all the "evil people doing evil things" almost always corporations or other conservative entities.

Common Sense
12-12-2016, 09:38 AM
The vast majority of the movies out today are left wing puff pieces and have nothing to do with "evil people doing evil things" If that's the case why are all the "evil people doing evil things" almost always corporations or other conservative entities.
Haven't seen a movie for a while?

Subdermal
12-12-2016, 09:45 AM
*sigh*

I'm sorry, but Donald Trump supporters have gone completely nuts over the last month. They're taking over Reddit, they're vandalizing homes, they're bombing churches, they're shooting up restaurants, and somehow it's all considered just a new normal component of American social discourse. Threatening people who dare say "happy holidays" instead of "merry Christmas" is their most current thing, but now we're moving on to movie boycotts it appears and at the top of the list is Rogue One: the upcoming Star Wars movie set for release on Friday.

There are two different Rogue One boycotts being organized within the Trumposphere (http://www.avclub.com/article/dumpstarwars-protesters-demand-rogue-one-be-safe-s-247186): one that simply opposes the casting of women and people of color in prominent roles ("You're stealing my childhood!" "Cultural appropriation!" Etc.) and another that objects to what Rogue One writer Chris Weitz has described as the movie's anti-hate themes. With naked lies about him of course. Oh the oppression.

Never have I been more interested in a Star Wars movie nor more determined to see one at the earliest possible date! Much as the boycott of Mad Mad: Fury Road by the so-called men's rights activist movement last year drew my attention to that film and caused me to go see it, similarly the boycott of Rogue One by Trump supporters tells me that this film is earning the right enemies. :tongue:

In all seriousness though, my interest in Rogue One is actually rooted in the trailers and early reviews that I've seen, which sure make it look and sound like the most unique and character-driven installment of the whole series, and the first to truly challenge our definitions of good and evil rather than mostly just painting it in Saturday morning cartoony black and white terms. The anti-Nazi elements are, in reality, hardly a new thing for this franchise. The villains' army has been known as Stormtroopers since the very first movie back in 1977 folks. It's got nothing to do with the rise of Trump (although I do find the fact that the Trump crowd objects...interesting). But the sense that I'm getting so far is that this will be a genuine war movie more than another Indiana Jones type live-action cartoon; sort of Star Wars meets The Hunger Games. That would certainly make it unique among the Star Wars movies and more interesting than the rest of the series to me! I mean not to knock The Force Awakens or anything, but while I liked the more diverse cast, the overarching storyline did seem a little overly familiar to me. While most people liked that about it, I prefer more original films and think this franchise needs a big change like this to really stand out from earlier generations of Star Wars films. I also just prefer character-driven movies and that topics like war be taken seriously more often in both movies and media more generally.

(I apologize for the set-up. I had to draw people's attention to this movie somehow and what better way on a politics-themed message board? :wink:)

Ok, Polly. Except.

http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/74793-Philly-Black-Man-Arrested-for-Hoax-Vandalism-ProTrump-Race-Hate-MSGs

nathanbforrest45
12-12-2016, 10:41 AM
Haven't seen a movie for a while?

Name one

Common Sense
12-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Name one
We could look at some of the top movies of the year...besides children's movies.

Captain America, Deadpool, Dr. Strange, Fantastic Beasts...those are some of the top grossing that don't fit your description.

Crepitus
12-12-2016, 08:49 PM
No need, cigar just displayed a perfect, text book example

No, he didn't, whether you agree or disagree with his statement there was nothing Freudian about it.

Standing Wolf
12-12-2016, 11:08 PM

Corporations are not by definition "conservative", and plenty of corporations operate responsibly and contribute in a positive way to the planet and its people. It is the people who own and operate some corporations who are douchebags in real life, and who inspire the stories of corporate douchebaggery that abound in popular fiction.

Who would you prefer to see portrayed as the villain in a major film or television drama? The operators of a homeless shelter? A chapter of Planned Parenthood or the ACLU? A roving, vicious band of climate scientists?

Captain Obvious
12-12-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm going to boycott it because I don't like stupid movies

IMPress Polly
12-13-2016, 06:04 AM
Fret not, people, for this morning I bring proof that Rogue One is actually a pro-Trump movie! Scenes from the preview screening:

Or perhaps the connections to the 2016 presidential election are being exaggerated. Who is to say? What's your bet, Chloe?

Chloe
12-13-2016, 03:11 PM
I think it's people looking for ways to be offended and ironically it's coming from the side that claims to be politically incorrect, however, in reality they are just as sensitive as the ones they condemn.