PDA

View Full Version : Abortion Rate In U.S. Falls 21% In One Decade

Chris
12-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Good news.

Abortion Rate In U.S. Falls 21% In One Decade (http://acsh.org/news/2016/12/09/abortion-rate-us-falls-21-one-decade-10567)

Even with the hot-button topic of abortion, there is one thing that all people can agree upon: It is preferable to have as few abortions as possible. And recent data from the CDC indicates good news. The abortion rate in America has fallen by about 20% from 2004 to 2013....

https://i.snag.gy/OHFrB4.jpg

...Why has the abortion rate fallen? The CDC lists several factors that contribute to the abortion rate:

Access to health care services, including contraception
Availability of abortion providers
State regulations, such as mandatory waiting periods, parental involvement laws, and legal restrictions on abortion providers
Increasing acceptance of nonmarital childbearing
Shifts in the racial/ethnic composition of the U.S. population
Changes in the economy and the resulting impact on fertility preferences and use of contraception

The report does not mention another factor, which may be just as important. According to PRRI, while Millennials (who are currently in the childbearing age range of 19-35) believe abortion should remain legal, 51% feel abortion is morally wrong. This has led some to conclude that Millennials are skeptical about abortion.

Thus, regardless of what position a person holds on abortion, this data should be received as welcome news*

...*It is also worth noting that about 92% of abortions occur within 13 weeks of gestation, which is roughly within the first trimester. Slightly more than 1% of abortions occurred at or after 21 weeks, meaning late-term abortions were rare.

Cigar
12-13-2016, 11:31 AM
... and if The GOP has ANYTHING to do with it, that will change in 6 months

Chris
12-13-2016, 11:46 AM
... and if The GOP has ANYTHING to do with it, that will change in 6 months

Some of the reasons the CDC gives are related to "Republican/red" state actions, if that's what you mean.

Common
12-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I have to question the link, but theres a good chance its true because birthrates are also down, so abortions would coincide with that.

Ive said before I cannot be a hypocrit about abortion because I had a family situation. So I cant be against abortion. I am however against planned parenthood, even moreso now after the revelation they were selling babyparts. I believe the govt should not fund planned parenthood and abortions should be done by drs in a hospital setting.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Proper education combined with contraception = less abortion. And more exploded heads from the religious right.

Cigar
12-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Some of the reasons the CDC gives are related to "Republican/red" state actions, if that's what you mean.

Would YOU Agree that Taking Birth Control AWAY ... could cause unwanted Pregnancies ... Yes or No?

Cigar
12-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Proper education combined with contraception = less abortion. And more exploded heads from the religious right.

It ain't anymore complicated that that :laugh:

Cigar
12-13-2016, 11:53 AM
I have to question the link, but theres a good chance its true because birthrates are also down, so abortions would coincide with that.

Ive said before I cannot be a hypocrit about abortion because I had a family situation. So I cant be against abortion. I am however against planned parenthood, even moreso now after the revelation they were selling babyparts. I believe the govt should not fund planned parenthood and abortions should be done by drs in a hospital setting.

Well there is a reduction in one community

Beevee
12-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Does that mean that one fifth of unwanted children will be claiming state benefits within the next, presumably, two Trump terms?

Chris
12-13-2016, 11:57 AM

The link adds the following:

In reality, the national abortion rate is almost certainly higher than 12.5 per 1,000 women. The reason is because the abortion rate varies substantially across states. South Dakota has the lowest abortion rate (4.7 per 1,000), while New York has the highest rate (23.6 per 1,000).

...In this seven-year period, abortions fell 14% in both California and the U.S. While Guttmacher reports higher overall abortion rates, it is in general agreement with the CDC that the trend is downward.

Chris
12-13-2016, 11:58 AM

Those are mentioned as possible causes in the OP. No need to troll the religious right.

Chris
12-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Would YOU Agree that Taking Birth Control AWAY ... could cause unwanted Pregnancies ... Yes or No?

The OP suggest that as a possible cause for the trend. If it is then removing it would have the opposite effect.

Chris
12-13-2016, 12:01 PM
It ain't anymore complicated that that :laugh:

Ah, but it is. The OP, or rather the CDC lists the following:

Access to health care services, including contraception
Availability of abortion providers
State regulations, such as mandatory waiting periods, parental involvement laws, and legal restrictions on abortion providers
Increasing acceptance of nonmarital childbearing
Shifts in the racial/ethnic composition of the U.S. population
Changes in the economy and the resulting impact on fertility preferences and use of contraception

So it is more complicated. Moreover is adds in the changing morality of millennials: "The report does not mention another factor, which may be just as important. According to PRRI, while Millennials (who are currently in the childbearing age range of 19-35) believe abortion should remain legal, 51% feel abortion is morally wrong. This has led some to conclude that Millennials are skeptical about abortion."

Chris
12-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Does that mean that one fifth of unwanted children will be claiming state benefits within the next, presumably, two Trump terms?

Not sure i understand the question.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Of course, that's like saying 'welfare rates are dropping' when access to welfare is cut in Republican states. If you remove access to abortion, it doesn't solve the underlying problem or reason that there are abortions. Just as cutting welfare wouldn't solve the need for welfare.

Chris
12-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Of course, that's like saying 'welfare rates are dropping' when access to welfare is cut in Republican states. If you remove access to abortion, it doesn't solve the underlying problem or reason that there are abortions. Just as cutting welfare wouldn't solve the need for welfare.

Yes, it is. And there are other reasons more akin to Democrats and their actions.

Access is not being removed, just being made more difficult and less attractive. Education, contraceptives makes it less attractive. Society itself accepting unwed babies makes it more attractive.

Chris
12-13-2016, 12:24 PM
My impression is, right or left, no one really thinks abortion a good, moral option. So this should be good news to all.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Yes, it is. And there are other reasons more akin to Democrats and their actions.
Access is not being removed, just being made more difficult and less attractive. Education, contraceptives makes it less attractive. Society itself accepting unwed babies makes it more attractive.
Education and contraceptives make it a non-issue. Including the morning-after pill.

If you limit access or remove it altogether (as Republicans are trying to do), it doesn't remove the need for the abortion. You are simply creating a new set of problems for more people, over a longer period of time, sometimes creating a cycle of poverty.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 12:30 PM
My impression is, right or left, no one really thinks abortion a good, moral option. So this should be good news to all.
It's not an immoral option, that's for damned sure. No one wants to have an abortion, but having one does not make you (or the doctor) immoral or any variation of a bad person. I think limiting access to abortions is terrible, and I would say immoral.

Chris
12-13-2016, 12:31 PM
Education and contraceptives make it a non-issue. Including the morning-after pill.

If you limit access or remove it altogether (as Republicans are trying to do), it doesn't remove the need for the abortion. You are simply creating a new set of problems for more people, over a longer period of time, sometimes creating a cycle of poverty.

Except abortions are not the cause of abortions, they don't create a need for abortions.

And now poverty?

Millennials are starting to get the right idea.

Chris
12-13-2016, 12:32 PM
It's not an immoral option, that's for damned sure. No one wants to have an abortion, but having one does not make you (or the doctor) immoral or any variation of a bad person. I think limiting access to abortions is terrible, and I would say immoral.

In your opinion, but in the opinion of many it is an immoral option. It takes a human life.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Except abortions are not the cause of abortions, they don't create a need for abortions.

The need for an abortion is an unwanted or medically unhealthy pregnancy. Yes, forcing a woman to bring a child to term can create the conditions for poverty. They cannot continue their education/careers.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 12:39 PM
In your opinion, but in the opinion of many it is an immoral option. It takes a human life.
What a choice. Either women are immoral, or they have to be biological prisoners. Clearly, God is a man.

Boris The Animal
12-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Proper education combined with contraception = less abortion. And more exploded heads from the religious right.That moreso means parents have to have tighter control of their teens and stress waiting until marriage. It's a concept foreign to Liberals called self control.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 12:47 PM
That moreso means parents have to have tighter control of their teens and stress waiting until marriage. It's a concept foreign to Liberals called self control.
Is that your definition of self-control?

Boris The Animal
12-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Is that your definition of self-control?Holding off until marriage? Oh yes. It's the way that G-d designed it.

Chris
12-13-2016, 01:17 PM
The need for an abortion is an unwanted or medically unhealthy pregnancy. Yes, forcing a woman to bring a child to term can create the conditions for poverty. They cannot continue their education/careers.

I, personally, have no problem with justified abortion, no more than I have with justified self-defense. If the mother's health is at risk then that could justify abortion. Case of rape and incest too could be justified. Justification is a moral thing.

Isn't it getting pregnant that causes the problems, that could lead to poverty?

Chris
12-13-2016, 01:18 PM
What a choice. Either women are immoral, or they have to be biological prisoners. Clearly, God is a man.

False dilemma. People choose to have sex at the risk of pregnancy and disease and such.

Chris
12-13-2016, 01:20 PM
That moreso means parents have to have tighter control of their teens and stress waiting until marriage. It's a concept foreign to Liberals called self control.

They need to teach their children better. But looking at the statistics it's the parents who were having all the abortions, their children having less.

Cigar
12-13-2016, 01:23 PM
False dilemma. People choose to have sex at the risk of pregnancy and disease and such.

You may want to actually check with a Real Live Women on the various health reasons for Contraception :grin:

Chris
12-13-2016, 01:38 PM
You may want to actually check with a Real Live Women on the various health reasons for Contraception :grin:

If there are issues with contraceptives, then don't have sex.

decedent
12-13-2016, 01:52 PM
"Increasing acceptance of nonmarital childbearing."

The fun part is we can praise single mothers for having a baby while shaming them for being single mothers.

That's a lot of welfare benefits.

Chris
12-13-2016, 02:03 PM

The fun part is we can praise single mothers for having a baby while shaming them for being single mothers.

One point of the OP was that there's less shame in being a single mother these days further reducing abortions.

decedent
12-13-2016, 02:07 PM
One point of the OP was that there's less shame in being a single mother these days further reducing abortions.

Yes, but teen moms still have to drop out of high school because nobody wants them there. The 'acceptance' seems to be conditional.

Cigar
12-13-2016, 03:23 PM
I think Guys need to stay out of this discussion ... they're just not equipped for the process nor do they have any experience.

Chris
12-13-2016, 03:33 PM
I think Guys need to stay out of this discussion ... they're just not equipped for the process nor do they have any experience.

This is a social issue.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the real world, Mr. Perfect. Must be great being able to sit in judgement of people and situations you can't possibly identify with. You claim moral superiority (yes, you do) when you will never be forced to choose between your future and autonomy... or being a selfish, immoral slut.

Pfft. Anarchists.

Chris
12-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Welcome to the real world, Mr. Perfect. Must be great being able to sit in judgement of people and situations you can't possibly identify with. You claim moral superiority (yes, you do) when you will never be forced to choose between your future and autonomy... or being a selfish, immoral slut.

Pfft. Anarchists.

Ad hom is like waving a white flag. Especially when what you attack is a made up man. Mr Perfect, sit in judgment, moral superiority--it took those to make up such an attack. Dismissed.

Cigar
12-13-2016, 03:48 PM
This is a social issue.

How much do you share your Woman's Social Issues with the public?

Beevee
12-13-2016, 03:50 PM

Guns take human life. I don't see Republicans lining up to prevent those deaths.

Beevee
12-13-2016, 03:52 PM

I trust you are referring to an outpouring of male sperm as well.

Chris
12-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Guns take human life. I don't see Republicans lining up to prevent those deaths.

In both cases people take lives. As I said above, several times, there are justifications for abortion, health of mother, rape or incest perhaps, just as self-defense is justified.

Chris
12-13-2016, 03:54 PM

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

--John Donne: Poems "For whom the bell tolls"

We are all part of society and not isolated individuals. We care about and for each other.

Beevee
12-13-2016, 03:55 PM

I'm sure Trump has plans for it. He is the expert on female productive genitalia.

Common Sense
12-13-2016, 03:58 PM
The fall in abortion rates could suggest that groups like Planned Parenthood are doing their jobs well. The vast majority of their work is in contraception, education and women's health.

Beevee
12-13-2016, 03:58 PM
In both cases people take lives. As I said above, several times, there are justifications for abortion, health of mother, rape or incest perhaps, just as self-defense is justified.

But you qualify it and I don't.
As far as I am concerned it's up to the prospective mother to make a determination regarding her own body.

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Ad hom is like waving a white flag. Especially when what you attack is a made up man. Mr Perfect, sit in judgment, moral superiority--it took those to make up such an attack. Dismissed.
I am simply reading your posts. You say that women are immoral for having abortions. Care to disagree?

Common
12-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Pray tell enlighten us which one is that

Common
12-13-2016, 04:02 PM
33 % of aborted babies are black, are you aware of that. Considering that blacks are 13% of the population thats huge in comparison to others

Chris
12-13-2016, 04:04 PM
The fall in abortion rates could suggest that groups like Planned Parenthood are doing their jobs well. The vast majority of their work is in contraception, education and women's health.

I think that was suggested by the CDC in the OP. I think you have a combination of factors, some "left" leaning, some "right," combining to reduce the abortion rate. Regardless, it's a good thing.

Chris
12-13-2016, 04:05 PM
I am simply reading your posts. You say that women are immoral for having abortions. Care to disagree?

You're reading in, that's on you, but I repeat myself.

Chris
12-13-2016, 04:06 PM
But you qualify it and I don't.
As far as I am concerned it's up to the prospective mother to make a determination regarding her own body.

Ah, so, by your analogy earlier, it's up to the shooter to also make such a determination about life?

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 05:51 PM
You're reading in, that's on you, but I repeat myself.

Perhaps you need to articulate yourself better. If someone says that abortion is an immoral act, I can only assume that they think those who engage it must be immoral or otherwise lacking morals. Including the doctor. I didn't put you in that box. You climbed in.

Moving on...

Amadeus
12-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Holding off until marriage? Oh yes. It's the way that G-d designed it.

You said that a third party (the parent) needs to restrain their children and teens. That's not self-control, god dammit.

Cthulhu
12-13-2016, 11:11 PM
In animal husbandry, mothers that knowingly kill their own are culled from the herd because there is something wrong with them.

And If we are to believe the anti theist movement that we are but animals, should we not also cull our damaged members?

After all, it wouldn't make us immoral. T they are just a clump of cells right?

:rolleyes:

Fear profits a man nothing.

Cthulhu
12-13-2016, 11:15 PM
When tax dollars are involved, it's everybody's business.

Cthulhu
12-13-2016, 11:16 PM
Cars, and medical clerical errors do to. And they're not designed to kill.

Cthulhu
12-13-2016, 11:18 PM
You forgot the baby killing.

That is one thing they are great at.

The priests of Baal are working hard.

Chris
12-14-2016, 08:26 AM
To me it's interesting to watch how a buzzword like abortion is reacted to. Some fact is raised, lower rate, attributed to various factors, and people trot out thier tried and true arguments, arguments that haven't changed in probably a decade even though the social issue has. For example, the assumption you say a reduced rate is a good thing implies you want to end abortion altogether. Sorry, but just not the case here. It is here: Kasich vetoes heartbeat bill; bans 20wk abortions to challenge Roe v. Wade (http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/12/kasich-vetoes-heartbeat-bill-bans-20wk-abortions-to-challenge-roe-v-wade/).

Beevee
12-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Ah, so, by your analogy earlier, it's up to the shooter to also make such a determination about life?
Indeed. As evidenced again today with the police involved death of a 73 year old unarmed man, whom I presume was black.

Beevee
12-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Cars, and medical clerical errors do to. And they're not designed to kill.

My, you sure have a lot of unavoidable deaths in the USA. Most other countries try to save lives.

Cthulhu
12-14-2016, 12:35 PM
My, you sure have a lot of unavoidable deaths in the USA. Most other countries try to save lives.
Funny you mention it, despite our governments worst efforts, we're still the best at it.

Humorous.

Beevee
12-14-2016, 12:38 PM
Funny you mention it, despite our governments worst efforts, we're still the best at it.

Humorous.

Yes, I see that you see that.

Chris
12-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Indeed. As evidenced again today with the police involved death of a 73 year old unarmed man, whom I presume was black.

Wonder if he'll get hung or a hung jury.