PDA

View Full Version : Perception of Democrats as ‘Latte Sipping, Politically Correct’ Hurt

Chris
12-19-2016, 10:02 AM
At least one more Dem admits it. President Obama: Perception of Democrats as ‘Latte Sipping, Politically Correct’ Hurt Them (http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/16/president-obama-perception-of-democrats).

...He did... note that the perception of Democrats as out of touch—as "politically correct"—damaged the party's chances."

..."People feel as if they're not being heard," he said. "Democrats are characterized as coastal liberal latte-sipping politically-correct out-of-touch folks."

...The president said that Democrats "have to be in those communities" where voters felt like the party was too coastal, too elitist, too politically correct....

Sen. Bernie Sanders understands that political-correctness-run-amok pushed people into the Trump camp. President Obama appears to understand that, too. When will the rest of the party admit it?

Tahuyaman
12-19-2016, 10:06 AM
At least one more Dem admits it. President Obama: Perception of Democrats as ‘Latte Sipping, Politically Correct’ Hurt Them (http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/16/president-obama-perception-of-democrats).

What's hurt the Democrats is that they have become the home of all the far left fringe elements of American society. They don't represent the average member of the working class any longer.

Amadeus
12-19-2016, 10:14 AM
The article makes a somewhat dishonest claim, which is that it is political correctness that is to blame for Trump and that Sanders admits it. Not quite. He says that there's a characterization that exists, and that by not engaging with all voters, people like Trump are able to exploit that characterization to their advantage.

Political correctness is a catch-all term that less informed people use to define what they don't like about liberalism. I've heard several people say that political correctness is government enforced (some on this very forum). In actuality, political correctness is about not going out of your way to offend people.

Common
12-19-2016, 10:17 AM
The democrat party was perfectly described by a NY Senator. The party of far left fringe politics, they ignored the working middleclass who is dieing for 8 yrs and did things that hurt them instead of help them.

If they democrats cling to the far left and let them to continue to lead them to the abyss. Then they deserve it.

Common
12-19-2016, 10:19 AM
The article makes a somewhat dishonest claim, which is that it is political correctness that is to blame for Trump and that Sanders admits it. Not quite. He says that there's a characterization that exists, and that by not engaging with all voters, people like Trump are able to exploit that characterization to their advantage.

Political correctness is a catch-all term that less informed people use to define what they don't like about liberalism. I've heard several people say that political correctness is government enforced (some on this very forum). In actuality, political correctness is about not going out of your way to offend people.

Disagree, political correctness was distorted by the progressives they used it to a fault and a hammer to beat everyone over the head to enable their very special interest politics.

Lets understand this, there are democrats, then there are obama progressive left democrats.
Obama progressive far left democrats have caused all the party loss's since 2010. Democrats will only make a comeback if they reject the progressive left which is a minority in their party.

Subdermal
12-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Goes out of his way to quibble with the finer points of characterizations of PC.

Calls PC as a catch all for "less informed people".

Doesn't get heard outside the walls of his own colon.

Chris
12-19-2016, 10:23 AM
The democrat party was perfectly described by a NY Senator. The party of far left fringe politics, they ignored the working middleclass who is dieing for 8 yrs and did things that hurt them instead of help them.

If they democrats cling to the far left and let them to continue to lead them to the abyss. Then they deserve it.

Yes, that's what I get out of the article that Obama and Sanders admit to. Too PC and out of touch.

Amadeus
12-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Disagree, political correctness was distorted by the progressives they used it to a fault and a hammer to beat everyone over the head to enable their very special interest politics.

Example?

Lets understand this, there are democrats, then there are obama progressive left democrats.
Obama progressive far left democrats have caused all the party loss's since 2010. Democrats will only make a comeback if they reject the progressive left which is a minority in their party.
Obama and Clinton are centrists, the Dems in general are centrists (Bernie being an anomaly). Although if you move a million miles to the right, as the Republicans have in recent years, the center can look awfully liberal.

del
12-19-2016, 10:24 AM
lol

Chris
12-19-2016, 10:25 AM
I would disagree that the Dems are too far left. They're too far center, Obama, even center right, Clinton, only Sanders was left. Just my perspective.

My interest is in seeing PC take a hit finally.

Amadeus
12-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Goes out of his way to quibble with the finer points of characterizations of PC.
That's what this article was about.

True story.

Tahuyaman
12-19-2016, 10:28 AM

That's it. The Democratic party has tried to become everything to everyone out on the fringes. They can't unite people who do not respect the concepts of debate and compromise. They represent all of these splinter groups which want everything their own way.

Amadeus
12-19-2016, 10:29 AM
I would disagree that the Dems are too far left. They're too far center, Obama, even center right, Clinton, only Sanders was left. Just my perspective.

True story.

My interest is in seeing PC take a hit finally.
To what end?

Captain Obvious
12-19-2016, 01:32 PM
They're whiny, arrogant idiots.

Has nothing to do with latte.

Chris
12-19-2016, 01:36 PM
They're whiny, arrogant idiots.

Has nothing to do with latte.

But that's not PC.

resister
12-19-2016, 07:52 PM
lol
Has fun discovering mirrors for the first time ^

Tahuyaman
12-19-2016, 07:57 PM

Doesn't get heard outside the walls of his own colon.

I would add that his criticisms of those who attack the PC movement show that he is less informed.