PDA

View Full Version : Alabama band to march at inauguration, igniting controversy

Common
01-02-2017, 08:41 PM
The marching band of Alabama's oldest private, historically black liberal arts college has accepted an invitation to perform at President-elect Donald Trump's inaugural parade, organizers said.
Talladega College's band will march at Trump's inauguration as other historically black schools such as Howard University, which performed at President Barack Obama's first inaugural parade, said they won't be marching in the Jan. 20 event.
"We were a bit horrified to hear of the invitation," said Shirley Ferrill of Fairfield, Alabama, a member of Talladega's Class of 1974.
"I don't want my alma mater to give the appearance of supporting him," Ferrill said of Trump on Monday. "Ignore, decline or whatever, but please don't send our band out in our name to do that."
The move has lit up Talladega College's social media sites with a sharp debate about the band's decision to participate in the parade. Some people voiced strong opposition, while others support the band's participation.
"After how black people were treated at Trump's rallies, you're going to go and shuck and jive down Pennsylvania Avenue? For what?" Seinya SamForay said in an interview. "What they did is a slap in the face to other black universities."
SamForay, of Chicago, was among dozens of people commenting on the school's social media sites.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Friday that the Talladega College Marching Tornadoes was among 40 groups, including high school bands and military organizations, scheduled to perform in the parade. Some members of the Marist College band in upstate New York, also scheduled to perform at the inauguration, say they won't participate, a school spokesman said Monday.
Ron White of Atlanta, a 1997 graduate of another historically black college, Fort Valley State University in Georgia, said he questioned why band members from Talladega "should be playing all these patriotic tunes for someone who has degraded us."
At the same time, though, White said he respects the office of the president and he hopes that Talladega's band does well.
"What they should do in my opinion is play that national anthem the best way they've ever played it in their life, because you're basically saluting the country," White said in an interview.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-band-march-inauguration-igniting-controversy-155314525.html

exotix
01-02-2017, 08:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qoe1DIBrJk

Cigar
01-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Real Star Studded Afair :laugh: ... for TV

Safety
01-02-2017, 09:03 PM
I wonder if the band will still be praiseworthy enough for its own thread if they break out in BLM protests at the inauguration.

Dangermouse
01-02-2017, 09:04 PM
It seems that now they've been given the choice, NO Rockettes have volunteered to perform.

Peter1469
01-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Some people have class. Some don't.

Crepitus
01-02-2017, 10:18 PM
While I disagree with their decision, I fully support their right to choose for themselves.

Same goes for the rockettes by the way.

ripmeister
01-03-2017, 12:02 AM

So true, The Donald being amongst the latter.

birddog
01-03-2017, 12:33 AM
It's a shame black people have to be so racist! I guess they just follow the lead of Sharpton, Jackson and Obama.

Common
01-03-2017, 02:49 AM
lol bingo, I knew exactly who would respond in this thread, because the band of course is black

silvereyes
01-03-2017, 09:30 AM
It's a shame black people have to be so racist! I guess they just follow the lead of Sharpton, Jackson and Obama.

Why does that make them racist? Are the Rockettes also racist?

silvereyes
01-03-2017, 09:30 AM
lol bingo, I knew exactly who would respond in this thread, because the band of course is black

So, you posted this simply to flamebait. Figures.

Cigar
01-03-2017, 09:33 AM

Sucks when it's done to you :laugh:

Safety
01-03-2017, 10:42 AM

So, you admit to trolling?

Subdermal
01-03-2017, 10:47 AM
I wonder if the band will still be praiseworthy enough for its own thread if they break out in BLM protests at the inauguration.
Probably as much as 'lil Wayne earned your praise.

Subdermal
01-03-2017, 10:49 AM
So, you admit to trolling?
How could he be accused of trolling on offering a real story when he cannot control the quality of the responses? His response was not one which didn't address the topic. His response addressed the trolling responses of people like you.

You certain do brazenly operate a double standard.

Bo-4
01-03-2017, 11:07 AM
https://forums.oneplus.net/attachments/flamebait-gif.434084/

Safety
01-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Probably as much as 'lil Wayne earned your praise.

Unlike you and your ilk, Lil Wayne (wheezy) has never earned my praise.

Dangermouse
01-03-2017, 03:49 PM

Seems the Rockettes unanimously do!

silvereyes
01-04-2017, 10:37 AM
How could he be accused of trolling on offering a real story when he cannot control the quality of the responses? His response was not one which didn't address the topic. His response addressed the trolling responses of people like you.

You certain do brazenly operate a double standard.

Did ya happen to read post #10?