PDA

View Full Version : What Journalists Can Do When The President Is A Liar

decedent
01-03-2017, 01:09 PM
What Journalists Can Do When The President Is A Liar
(https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/03/what-journalists-can-do-when-president-liar/214908)

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/uploader/image/2017/01/03/trumphacking.jpg

When Donald Trump is inaugurated later this month, the presidency will officially be held by an inveterate liar. And the way the press has covered Trump in the two months since his November election victory suggests that many journalists need to adjust their approach to address that reality before Trump takes office.

On New Year’s Eve, Trump cast doubt on the intelligence community’s conclusion that Russian government-backed hackers intervened in the presidential election, suggesting that he would release evidence to the contrary early this week.

“I know a lot about hacking. And hacking is a very hard thing to prove,” Trump told the press pool outside his Florida golf club. “So it could be somebody else. And I also know things that other people don’t know, and so they cannot be sure of the situation.” Asked what precisely he knew that others didn’t, Trump responded, “You’ll find out on Tuesday or Wednesday.”

Trump’s comments promptly rocketed through the news cycle, with outlets reprinting his claims without skepticism or context. In a representative example, The New York Times’ report was headlined “Trump Promises a Revelation on Hacking.” But by Monday morning, incoming White House press secretary Sean Spicer was walking back the suggestion that Trump would release any new information this week.

Well, it's Tuesday: the day Trump promised to reveal inside information about why the Russians aren't hacking the US.

Will Trump keep his word? Of course he won't. He is an "unpresidented" liar who conned his way into the White House, and will keep conning the media, his opponents, and sadly, his voters.

Trump lies habitually on all kinds of random matters, from petty ones to matters of national security. It doesn't look like mainstream media can keep up.

In this post-truth society, the real media is the only hope left. They must be honest themselves, and reveal Trump for what he is: a liar.

This isn't just about Trump's habitual lying, though. It's about policy. Trump has already hinted that he'll break almost every major promise of his campaign - from a Muslim ban to a border wall. He's spinning, deflecting, neutralizing and pivoting like a pro (he's not new to selling crap to people).

It looks like Trump's only conservative accomplishment will be to get a conservative judge into the SCOTUS -- which could have been done even with a Democrat President. In other words, Trump will be a completely useless President to conservatives, and he'll be lying to his voters the most.

texan
01-03-2017, 01:12 PM
(https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/01/03/what-journalists-can-do-when-president-liar/214908)

http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/uploader/image/2017/01/03/trumphacking.jpg

When Donald Trump is inaugurated later this month, the presidency will officially be held by an inveterate liar. And the way the press has covered Trump in the two months since his November election victory suggests that many journalists need to adjust their approach to address that reality before Trump takes office.

On New Year’s Eve, Trump cast doubt on the intelligence community’s conclusion that Russian government-backed hackers intervened in the presidential election, suggesting that he would release evidence to the contrary early this week.

“I know a lot about hacking. And hacking is a very hard thing to prove,” Trump told the press pool outside his Florida golf club. “So it could be somebody else. And I also know things that other people don’t know, and so they cannot be sure of the situation.” Asked what precisely he knew that others didn’t, Trump responded, “You’ll find out on Tuesday or Wednesday.”

Trump’s comments promptly rocketed through the news cycle, with outlets reprinting his claims without skepticism or context. In a representative example, The New York Times’ report was headlined “Trump Promises a Revelation on Hacking.” But by Monday morning, incoming White House press secretary Sean Spicer was walking back the suggestion that Trump would release any new information this week.

Well, it's Tuesday: the day Trump promised to reveal inside information about why the Russians aren't hacking the US.

Will Trump keep his word? Of course he won't. He is an "unpresidented" liar who conned his way into the White House, and will keep conning the media, his opponents, and sadly, his voters.

Trump lies habitually on all kinds of random matters, from petty ones to matters of national security. It doesn't look like mainstream media can keep up.

In this post-truth society, the real media is the only hope left. They must be honest themselves, and reveal Trump for what he is: a liar.

This isn't just about Trump's habitual lying, though. It's about policy. Trump has already hinted that he'll break almost every major promise of his campaign - from a Muslim ban to a border wall. He's spinning, deflecting, neutralizing and pivoting like a pro (he's not new to selling crap to people).

It looks like Trump's only conservative accomplishment will be to get a conservative judge into the SCOTUS -- which could have been done even with a Democrat President. In other words, Trump will be a completely useless President to conservatives, and he'll be lying to his voters the most.

You are distinguishing "inveterate liar" from plan old liar (or pathological) like the one in there today? Comical.

Cigar
01-03-2017, 01:14 PM
You are distinguishing "inveterate liar" from plan old liar (or pathological) like the one in there today? Comical.

Start a separate Thread, this one is about The Orange Wonder of The World

birddog
01-03-2017, 01:19 PM
At least Trump has never said anything like "If you like your insurance, you can keep it!" etc etc

Cigar
01-03-2017, 01:23 PM
At least Trump has never said anything like "If you like your insurance, you can keep it!" etc etc

I like my Insurance and I Kept it ... how about you?

birddog
01-03-2017, 01:25 PM
I like my Insurance and I Kept it ... how about you?

Sure, but millions of others were certainly lied to on purpose by The Kenyan Obama!

decedent
01-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Would you like to compare Barack Obama's lies to John Miller's.

It's 1:30 Eastern. Trump has a few more hours to reveal his secret info about Russian hacking, which he said he'd do. Being such an honest man, I'm sure Trump will make good.

Cigar
01-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Sure, but millions of others were certainly lied to on purpose by The Kenyan Obama!

Who? Anyone you care about?

Names please ...

Cigar
01-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Donald Trump said he had THOUSANDS of Friends who Died on 911 ...

Yet he didn't go to a single Funeral or even the The 911 Memorial.

F'cking Lying Sack-of-Sh!t

birddog
01-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Who? Anyone you care about?

Names please ...

Just keep your head in the sand LOSER!

Captain Obvious
01-03-2017, 06:37 PM
I thpught this was a gag thread

Captain Obvious
01-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Funny how left wing hacks are incapable of acknowkedging Rodham's massive campaign of lies.

Dismissed for hypocrisy

decedent
01-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Trump has a few hours left to prove that he wasn't bullshipping. He wouldn't lie, would he?

decedent
01-04-2017, 09:32 PM
So now Trump is claiming that the intelligence briefing was rescheduled for Friday. It was always going to be on Friday, but Trump is a hot mess.

He also promised to reveal inside information on how Russia wasn't a part of the hacking of American systems. I can't wait to hear this... on Friday.... so he says. Not because it would be illegal, but because he's bluffing. He can only con stupid people.

resister
01-04-2017, 10:10 PM
LO F'n L . For every lie he told, hildabeast told 30, LO F'n L.

resister
01-04-2017, 10:11 PM
Funny how left wing hacks are incapable of acknowkedging Rodham's massive campaign of lies.

Dismissed for hypocrisy
Exactly this here ^

resister
01-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Hillary is a "corruption free, good person" LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

patrickt
01-04-2017, 10:13 PM

With Barack Obama they would first deny he ever said what he said. He never said that if you like your health insurance you can keep your health insurance. Then, when it's obvious he's lying they say, well, you just don't understand. He's speaking in shorthand because he's so smart and you're so stupid. And, beside, Paul Krugman explained how people can keep their health insurance if they want to but it will be a different company, a different plan, with a bigger deductible, and will cost more. Otherwise, it's exactly the same.

The question isn't how the journalist will deal with a president who lies because they've been doing that for years. The question now is, what does the President and the American people do with "journalists" who lie?

Did you hear Dan Rather is going to ascend to the chair of the Department of Journalistic Ethics at Columbia University? Just joking. He'll just be a guest lecturer.

Remember "Where's Waldo?" Now we have, "Where's the honest liberal journalist? He was last seen riding a unicorn down the golden streets of Camelot.

Crepitus
01-04-2017, 11:00 PM

I like my insurance (then and now) and I kept it.

I like my Dr. (then and now) and I kept her too.

Crepitus
01-04-2017, 11:02 PM

The president's father had nothing to do with this.

Crepitus
01-04-2017, 11:04 PM
LO F'n L . For every lie he told, hildabeast told 30, LO F'n L.

I don't know how you missed this, but Clinton isn't going to be president.

del
01-04-2017, 11:08 PM
I don't know how you missed this, but Clinton isn't going to be president.

link?

Crepitus
01-04-2017, 11:15 PM
link?

lshidmtamsfo!

decedent
01-05-2017, 12:22 AM
With Barack Obama they would first deny he ever said what he said. He never said that if you like your health insurance you can keep your health insurance. Then, when it's obvious he's lying they say, well, you just don't understand. He's speaking in shorthand because he's so smart and you're so stupid. And, beside, Paul Krugman explained how people can keep their health insurance if they want to but it will be a different company, a different plan, with a bigger deductible, and will cost more. Otherwise, it's exactly the same.

The question isn't how the journalist will deal with a president who lies because they've been doing that for years. The question now is, what does the President and the American people do with "journalists" who lie?

Did you hear Dan Rather is going to ascend to the chair of the Department of Journalistic Ethics at Columbia University? Just joking. He'll just be a guest lecturer.

Remember "Where's Waldo?" Now we have, "Where's the honest liberal journalist? He was last seen riding a unicorn down the golden streets of Camelot.

Dan Rather was fired because dishonesty is taken seriously by mainstream news.

resister
01-05-2017, 12:41 AM
Dan Rather was fired because dishonesty is taken seriously by mainstream news.
HAHHH BWAHHb HAHH....