PDA

View Full Version : High School In Kentucky To Change Mascots

Common
01-05-2017, 05:39 AM
This is why many turn their backs on Political Correctness. PC certainly has its place but its been relegated to being used to just harrangue people and institutions for personal reasons.
Stallions as a mascot in a state KNOWN for horses and the Kentucky Derby is NOT IN ANY FORM SEXIST.

High School In Kentucky To Change Mascots Because "Stallions" Is Offensive To Women, Or Something

A high school in Kentucky will no longer have "Stallions" as its mascot thanks to a new petition drive. Frederick Douglass High School, set to open in Fall 2017, was originally going to be the home of the Stallions, in honor of the area's history with thoroughbred racing and nearby Keeneland Racecourse.
In a healthy society, nobody would have any issue with this. "Stallions" is a fairly common mascot name, and given that it's neither a human (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy) nor ethnic group (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/12/arab-mascot-coachella.html), I'm willing to bet that the school district thought they had chosen a relatively inoffensive choice. Not so, according to Diane Cahill of Lexington, who started a petition (https://www.change.org/p/superintendent-emmanuel-manny-caulk-principal-lester-diaz-fayette-co-board-of-education-denounce-mascot-name-stallions-for-frederick-douglass-high-school?lang=en-US) saying that the mascot was inappropriate because a stallion is a male horse that is used for breeding.

According to Cahill, this does not represent the women of the school and does not make them feel included.
Here's the text of the petition, which is essentially the definition
This is inappropriate and sexist when you consider the definition from "YourDictionary" ..."The definition of a stallion is a male horse that has not been castrated, used for breeding or is slang for a powerful and virile man who has a lot of lovers" and from Wikipedia..."because of their instincts as herd animals, they may be prone to aggressive behavior, particularly toward other stallions, and thus require careful management by knowledgeable handlers. However, with proper training and management, stallions are effective equine athletes at the highest levels of many disciplines."

What message does this send to our daughters and granddaughters? Our sons and grandsons?
We demand that the name be changed to something more gender neutral and more indicative of Douglass' brilliant mind, successful career and vision for equality and to send a message to all students that they are respected and valued.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2017/01/04/high-school-in-kentucky-to-change-mascots-because-stallions-is-offensive-to-women-or-something-n2267162

hanger4
01-05-2017, 07:12 AM
I can see the PC concern, but most people wouldn't even think that way. Change the mascot to Thoroughbred and move on.

FindersKeepers
01-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Pure silliness.

Crepitus
01-05-2017, 07:28 AM
This is why many turn their backs on Political Correctness. PC certainly has its place but its been relegated to being used to just harrangue people and institutions for personal reasons.
Stallions as a mascot in a state KNOWN for horses and the Kentucky Derby is NOT IN ANY FORM SEXIST.

High School In Kentucky To Change Mascots Because "Stallions" Is Offensive To Women, Or Something

A high school in Kentucky will no longer have "Stallions" as its mascot thanks to a new petition drive. Frederick Douglass High School, set to open in Fall 2017, was originally going to be the home of the Stallions, in honor of the area's history with thoroughbred racing and nearby Keeneland Racecourse.
In a healthy society, nobody would have any issue with this. "Stallions" is a fairly common mascot name, and given that it's neither a human (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy) nor ethnic group (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/12/arab-mascot-coachella.html), I'm willing to bet that the school district thought they had chosen a relatively inoffensive choice. Not so, according to Diane Cahill of Lexington, who started a petition (https://www.change.org/p/superintendent-emmanuel-manny-caulk-principal-lester-diaz-fayette-co-board-of-education-denounce-mascot-name-stallions-for-frederick-douglass-high-school?lang=en-US) saying that the mascot was inappropriate because a stallion is a male horse that is used for breeding.

According to Cahill, this does not represent the women of the school and does not make them feel included.
Here's the text of the petition, which is essentially the definition
This is inappropriate and sexist when you consider the definition from "YourDictionary" ..."The definition of a stallion is a male horse that has not been castrated, used for breeding or is slang for a powerful and virile man who has a lot of lovers" and from Wikipedia..."because of their instincts as herd animals, they may be prone to aggressive behavior, particularly toward other stallions, and thus require careful management by knowledgeable handlers. However, with proper training and management, stallions are effective equine athletes at the highest levels of many disciplines."

What message does this send to our daughters and granddaughters? Our sons and grandsons?
We demand that the name be changed to something more gender neutral and more indicative of Douglass' brilliant mind, successful career and vision for equality and to send a message to all students that they are respected and valued.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2017/01/04/high-school-in-kentucky-to-change-mascots-because-stallions-is-offensive-to-women-or-something-n2267162

Well that seems pretty stupid.

exotix
01-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Why would they even use the word Stallion in the deepest darkest poorest medieval state in America ?

AeonPax
01-05-2017, 07:34 AM
`
`

https://s28.postimg.org/iy6mhli9p/g1359166629958441808_jpg.png

Standing Wolf
01-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Change it to the Geldings. That should make them happy.

Adelaide
01-05-2017, 09:05 AM
I really don't care. They can do what they want with their school.

I was a Dragon, then a Warrior, then a Trojan, then a Marauder. During sporting events, other schools would throw condoms at us for being Trojans.

del
01-05-2017, 09:08 AM
we were the harbormen, quite possibly the lamest name in history.

they asked for suggestions for new names at one point, but when nads won, they called it off.

we all thought screaming *go nads* would be the coolest thing evah.

DGUtley
01-05-2017, 09:09 AM
I can see the PC concern, but most people wouldn't even think that way. Change the mascot to Thoroughbred and move on.

Wait a minute. Thoroughbred connotes elitism. What if you are Italian and Irish and German like some of us. We're not thoroughbreds. I'm offended.

DGUtley
01-05-2017, 09:11 AM
I really don't care. They can do what they want with their school. I was a Dragon, then a Warrior, then a Trojan, then a Marauder. During sporting events, other schools would throw condoms at us for being Trojans.

I'm from Sebring, Ohio. Home of the Trojans. We were so small and backward that we had no idea back then that a Trojan was the name of a condom. When we went off to college people started making fun of us so we all started say: 'we don't break under pressure'.

hanger4
01-05-2017, 09:17 AM

they asked for suggestions for new names at one point, but when nads won, they called it off.

That is lame, I think the Ducks of Oregon is lamer.

Morehead State is sort a lame too. I can see the cheerleaders jumping up and down shaking their ......... pom poms screaming more-head, more-head.

nathanbforrest45
01-05-2017, 09:20 AM
I went to Terry Parker High School in Jacksonville Florida. We were called The Braves because our initials were TP (Tee Pee). I guess now the Braves should be changed to The Terry Parker Charmins

del
01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
I went to Terry Parker High School in Jacksonville Florida. We were called The Braves because our initials were TP (Tee Pee). I guess now the Braves should be changed to The Terry Parker Snowflakes.
is assholes taken?

AeonPax
01-05-2017, 09:32 AM
`
`
A decade or so before I started going to school there, Marquette University had a powerhouse basketball team called the Warriors. The board there wanted to change the name to the Golden Eagles, as not to offend Native Americans. The alumni told them, you change the name and we no longer will support the team or school. The board went ahead anyways. The school lost out on tens of millions of dollars and the basketball program is now a pale shadow of its former glory.

GrassrootsConservative
01-05-2017, 09:36 AM
It's only offensive to the most feminist of women. Probably because they look like horses.

Green Arrow
01-05-2017, 09:58 AM
We were the Blades. Guess that's the solution for the future.

Subdermal
01-05-2017, 10:02 AM

1950 called. They want their joke back. Oh wait. It occurs to me that it actually may be your joke!

:biglaugh:

Subdermal
01-05-2017, 10:05 AM
We were the Blades. Guess that's the solution for the future.
You think? What if you offend the delicate snowflakes threatened by the affront of wrist cutting?

hanger4
01-05-2017, 10:18 AM
`
`
A decade or so before I started going to school there, Marquette University had a powerhouse basketball team called the Warriors. The board there wanted to change the name to the Golden Eagles, as not to offend Native Americans. The alumni told them, you change the name and we no longer will support the team or school. The board went ahead anyways. The school lost out on tens of millions of dollars and the basketball program is now a pale shadow of its former glory.

I sort a though the powerhouse began it's ending when Al McGuire left in 1977. Tough to replace a coach of his caliber.

AeonPax
01-05-2017, 10:30 AM
`
`
The man will always hold an honored position there, but he was way before my time. In their student union, they had a pub/grill named after him and a statue of him inside Gesu Church.

Adelaide
01-05-2017, 10:30 AM
It's only offensive to the most feminist of women. Probably because they look like horses.
Lame.

maineman
01-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Maybe it's not our concern. Maybe if the women of that town and female students of that high school want to weigh in on their mascot's name, who are we to get in the middle of it? Maybe if their president-elect hadn't made pussy grabbing en vogue, they wouldn't feel as emboldened to grab back when they have the opportunity.

resister
01-05-2017, 10:41 AM
I can see the PC concern, but most people wouldn't even think that way. Change the mascot to Thoroughbred and move on.I suppose a gelding would satisfy them.

GrassrootsConservative
01-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Lame.

Not really a joke tailored for you. Do you guys even have horses in Canadia?

Green Arrow
01-05-2017, 06:46 PM
You think? What if you offend the delicate snowflakes threatened by the affront of wrist cutting?

Ban mascots altogether!

Subdermal
01-05-2017, 07:01 PM
`
`
The man will always hold an honored position there, but he was way before my time. In their student union, they had a pub/grill named after him and a statue of him inside Gesu Church.

I went to Marquette too. Class of '88. The basketball team sucked the entire time I was there. AeonPax

Subdermal
01-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Ban mascots altogether!

:laughing4:

That's my freedom lovin' fella! (I know you're kidding)

Adelaide
01-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Not really a joke tailored for you. Do you guys even have horses in Canadia?
Yeah, and jackasses. But I live in the DC area, so.

Common
01-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Kentucky is known for breeding thorougbreds and horse racing and horse is synonomous with the state, with the kentucky derby. The name Stallion means HORSES not overbearing masculine men. Its absolutely ridiculous to take issue with that mascot name. This over reach by liberals is what turns people all and has caused this ever worsening vitriole in this country.