PDA

View Full Version : The Electoral College and the House of Representatives

nathanbforrest45
01-06-2017, 09:32 AM
With the increased popularity of ending the Electoral College and going to direct vote for the president should we also look to disbanding the House of Representatives and go to a direct vote on all pending legislation?

With modern technology it would not be difficult for the vast majority of the population to have the opportunity to vote on all bills submitted by the Senate.

Computer connections are like name brand tennis shoes now, everyone, no matter how rich or poor have them.

Of course we would need to redefine the meaning of the word "Republic" but that hasn't seem to have been a problem with most progressives.

Green Arrow
01-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I don't see why not. At the very least reorganize congress altogether.

Beevee
01-06-2017, 10:44 AM
With the increased popularity of ending the Electoral College and going to direct vote for the president should we also look to disbanding the House of Representatives and go to a direct vote on all pending legislation?

With modern technology it would not be difficult for the vast majority of the population to have the opportunity to vote on all bills submitted by the Senate.

Computer connections are like name brand tennis shoes now, everyone, no matter how rich or poor have them.

Of course we would need to redefine the meaning of the word "Republic" but that hasn't seem to have been a problem with most progressives.

Even if the idea was feasible there would have to be checks on the ability to vote more than once, ensure that person's under age could not vote, visitors were excluded and a local register to cover all possibilities of fraud.
As Republicans are totally against regulation, this would fall at the first hurdle.

nathanbforrest45
01-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Why should young people not be allowed to have a voice in the laws that will affect them in the future?

Everyone could be given a password in order to vote and just like the polls on these boards they can be constructed to allow only one vote per password.

Why are you against total freedom of all the people?

Beevee
01-06-2017, 11:39 AM
I'm not opposed to it.
Just that the safeguards should be in place to cover all eventualities.
As a matter of interest, how much would it cost to create a record of who could vote and who could not before the password was issued?
And to those who don't have access to a computer? What about them?

texan
01-06-2017, 12:56 PM

You made me laugh out-loud! The increased popularity?

The people will cast internet votes for legislation? Double LOL! I am sure everyone will read and educate themselves on 10,000 page documents.

Where do you people dig this stuff up? Swim in the mainstream waters of reality please..

nathanbforrest45
01-09-2017, 03:42 PM
I guess no one is interested in this topic in this forum. Yet these were the very posters crying that Trump didn't really win.

Captain Obvious
01-09-2017, 03:48 PM
I guess no one is interested in this topic in this forum. Yet these were the very posters crying that Trump didn't really win.

Leftists are interested only to the extent of... "Will it keep Trump out of office? Now?"

ripmeister
01-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Hell, I can barely keep up with what I have to consider now let alone adding a blizzard of legislation and all the minutae involved with that.

Bob the Slob
01-09-2017, 04:30 PM

Nope.

Green Arrow
01-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Leftists are interested only to the extent of... "Will it keep Trump out of office? Now?"

I don't see why not. At the very least reorganize congress altogether.

del
01-09-2017, 08:27 PM
the founding fathers wisely limited the number of idiots involved in government.

Captain Obvious
01-09-2017, 08:32 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/76265-The-Electoral-College-and-the-House-of-Representatives?p=1878789&viewfull=1#post1878789

Green Arrow - my point was that nobody up until now was, to any significant degree, talking about revamping the EC.

I just find that curious.

NapRover
01-09-2017, 09:25 PM
I think the founders would be pretty proud of the system they invented. It's not broke, no need to fix it.