PDA

View Full Version : Rubio Will Not Be the VP Nominee

Conley
10-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Senator Marco Rubio, R-FL., has been coy in the past about the prospect of being the Republican Party’s vice presidential nominee. But today he was far more definitive than he has been stating that he is not going to be the 2012 Republican Vice Presidential nominee.

When asked at the Washington Ideas Forum at the Newseum in Washington DC, Rubio repeated twice for emphasis, “I am not going to be the Vice Presidential nominee. I am not going to be the Vice Presidential nominee.”

Asked during the forum if he would turn down an offer if the Republican presidential nominee asks him to, Rubio responded, “Yea, I believe so,” adding again, “the answer is gonna be no.”

Described as a rising star in the Republican Party, Rubio’s name has been tossed around as a possible Vice Presidential candidate since his rise on the nation stage when he elected to the Senate in 2010.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/i-am-not-going-to-be-the-vp-nominee/

Interesting. I'm not sure I buy his argument that he feels responsibility to his office, but if so, he should be commended. He could be a good candidate in 2016 or later.

Mister D
10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
He's a young guy. Christie and Rubio have bright futures. 2012 is not the time.

Conley
10-05-2011, 07:29 PM

I don't think it'd be too early for Rubio to be a VP. But yeah, no rush.

Mister D
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Yeah, Rubio as VP might work but he is a very young man in Presidential terms. Christie will only tarnish his rep if he runs now. IMO, no good can come from it.

Conley
10-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Yeah, Rubio as VP might work but he is a very young man in Presidential terms. Christie will only tarnish his rep if he runs now. IMO, no good can come from it.

VP worked for GHWB and Gore (almost) but there's probably no reason for him to jump now. Still for some reason Senators had a bad track record of success before Obama was able to make it. I think being a governor is probably more relevant in terms of being able to handle the office.