PDA

View Full Version : Muslim LawSuit Causes Ohio Prison System to Ban Pork Meats.....

MMC
10-06-2011, 07:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/muslim-lawsuit-response-rile-ohio-pork-industry-151931808.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A decision by Ohio officials to remove all pork products from prison menus in response to a lawsuit by Muslim inmates is not sitting well with the state's pork producers and processors.

"We really think it's not in the best interest, frankly, of the whole prison system," said Dick Isler, executive director of the Ohio Pork Producers Council. "It seems like we're letting a small group make the rules when it really isn't in the best interest of the rest of prisoners."

Ironically, the inmates' lawsuit doesn't involve pork at all; it demands that non-pork meats like beef come from animals slaughtered according to Islamic law. But the prisons system responded by simply removing pork as an option altogether.

In a federal lawsuit, death row inmate Abdul Awkal complains that the state is restraining his religious freedoms by not providing meals prepared according to Islamic law, known as halal, while at the same time supplying Jewish prisoners with kosher meals.

Awkal, joined by a second inmate not on death row, says the vegetarian and non-pork options aren't good enough. The inmates say food must be prepared in specific fashion, such as ensuring that an animal is butchered by slitting its throat and draining its blood, to conform to Islamic beliefs.

Prison guidelines for Muslim inmates already provided that meals will be "free of all pork and products containing or derived from pork.".....snip~

WTF they are prisoners in a Prison and they are still making demands? All in accordance with their religious beliefs. What the hell is that about. Yo, if ya a Muslim and you get thrown in a Chinese or Japanese Prison. Bet ya they will eat whatever is thrown their way. If not then they dont eat and die. Save the state money from Executing their azz. Next it will be.....hey you cant kill me cuz of my religious beliefs. >:(

Not that I am for the Death Penalty by the State anyways. Still they are not special over others. So lets knock that bullshit off right away.

Conley
10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
As a prisoner, you lose your rights. That's why it's called prison. Furthermore they have no right to make dietary demands regardless. My religion says I must be served Filet Mignon every Wednesday. Make it happen Ohio. ::)

Who is paying for this Federal lawsuit? Throw it out and charge them for court fees.

Mister D
10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
As a prisoner, you lose your rights. That's why it's called prison. Furthermore they have no right to make dietary demands regardless. My religion says I must be served Filet Mignon every Wednesday. Make it happen Ohio. ::)

Who is paying for this Federal lawsuit? Throw it out and charge them for court fees.

:D :D Good post. 8)

MMC
10-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Too late that state is already doing it.....plus I did not know they had to make Kosher meals for the Brews. Whassup with that. It's Prison and like you said you lose all your rights. Except to be treated humanely.

My religion says I have to be Fed the Grapes of Wrath by a Cherry tart and some Honey. This must begin at Sunrise and continue to the next sunrise. Then when I fast for Rumadingdong.....all I can have is some Peaches and Cream.

But if ya calls me a fruity-guy.....I'll kill ya! http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

Conley
10-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Legally, the problem with doing it for the Jews now they have to do it for other religions as well, right? It's a mess.

MMC
10-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Legally, the problem with doing it for the Jews now they have to do it for other religions as well, right? It's a mess.

Agreed there.....next they will want specific prisons to be built due to their religious beliefs. Yet there is nothing from preventing them from following what they believe in. They are not being stopped from praying. Plenty of crickets and grasshoppers around prisons. So plenty of protein that would not affect their desire to eat certain foods. Just sayin! >:D

Mr. Wonderful
10-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Throw them in the hole.

If they don't want to eat then let them starve. Problem solved.

wingrider
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
nope throw them in the hole and give them a ham sandwich... what do want to bet they eat it?

Mister D
10-08-2011, 03:31 PM
You're a vicious man, LoVE. ;D

Mr. Wonderful
10-08-2011, 03:37 PM
nope throw them in the hole and give them a ham sandwich... what do want to bet they eat it?

Ha! Ok, I give you credit for that one.

Still I don't feel like having my tax dollars pay for free meals for criminals. I would work these jokers to the bone instead of letting them lie around all day.

Mister D
10-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I agree. Plus, all that idleness they say is supposed to be psychologically harmful. It's a win/win situation. Put 'em to work.

Mr. Wonderful
10-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes.

A man who puts in an honest days work has cause to feel good about himself.

A man who lies around all day is a cancer on society and a disgrace to himself.

wingrider
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
yeppers making small rocks out of big rocks seems fair, this way we can get materials needed for road beds..

Mr. Wonderful
10-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't know much about Muslims. I don't want to know either.

I don't think they have any rules in their religion against working hard but if they do then tough. If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Elibe
10-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Still I don't feel like having my tax dollars pay for free meals for criminals. I would work these jokers to the bone instead of letting them lie around all day.

and how do you know they are lying around?

Mister D
10-08-2011, 07:50 PM

A lot of prisoners do these days. There are work programs but it's not what it used to be. Remember Cool Hand Luke? ;D

Conley
10-08-2011, 08:00 PM

A lot of prisoners do these days. There are work programs but it's not what it used to be. Remember Cool Hand Luke? ;D

That is a great flick.

Do they even have chain gangs any more?

Mister D
10-08-2011, 08:10 PM

That is a great flick.

Do they even have chain gangs any more?

Nah. They were phased out in the 1960s I believe.

Conley
10-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Apparently they brought them back in a few states, Alabama and Arizona among others. Working on a chain gang in Arizona? That would be brutal. I like it. >:D

Mister D
10-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Apparently they brought them back in a few states, Alabama and Arizona among others. Working on a chain gang in Arizona? That would be brutal. I like it. >:D

There are a few. You're right. It's made a small comeback but we're still kind of weird about it for some reason.

Conley
10-08-2011, 08:45 PM

There are a few. You're right. It's made a small comeback but we're still kind of weird about it for some reason.

It was that Sheriff Aripo (?) in Maricopa County that reinstituted it. You know the guy I'm talking about?

In some cases I bet it would be better for both inmate and state. I would go crazy just staring at walls all day.

Sometimes I've seen them picking up trash on freeways too. Not sure how needed that really is though.

Mister D
10-08-2011, 08:58 PM

It was that Sheriff Aripo (?) in Maricopa County that reinstituted it. You know the guy I'm talking about?

In some cases I bet it would be better for both inmate and state. I would go crazy just staring at walls all day.

Sometimes I've seen them picking up trash on freeways too. Not sure how needed that really is though.

Right. They say that all that time spent in idleness is bad psychologically and emotionally. Why not put them to work?

Once in a blue moon I see some convicts n Route 1 in NJ mowing grass.

MMC
10-08-2011, 10:59 PM

If they are state penitentiaries.....then the majority of the Maximum Security and or Triple Max Joints have most of that population sitting around and doing nothing. Also the State such as Illinois gives each inmate 10 dollars a month for doing nothing. As the state cannot force them to work or go to school at this point in time.

If they are medium and or minimum security.....then the prison has more rules and each and every inmate has to work and or go to school. Thats most of those prisons.