PDA

View Full Version : Poll: 80% Want Justices Who Apply Constitution as Originally Written

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Poll: 80% Want Justices Who Apply Constitution as Originally Written The vast majority of Americans believe it is important to appoint justices to the Supreme Court who will apply the Constitution as originally set by the Founders and, in particular, protect religious freedom, according to a new Marist poll, sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/poll-80-americans-want-supreme-court-justices-who-apply-constitution

Common
01-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Thats surprising to me DG, I wouldnt think the number would be that high.

Cigar
01-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Even better ... they should read it once in while

del
01-17-2017, 08:47 AM
as has often been pointed out here, pollsters get the result for which they are paid.

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Thats surprising to me DG, I wouldnt think the number would be that high.
I didn't delve into the poll methods. It was a poll sponsored by the Knights of Columbus -- a Catholic Men's Fraternal Organization.

as has often been pointed out here, pollsters get the result for which they are paid.
I don't know about that in this circumstance. I've seen many of their sponsored polls surprise me. Again, I don't know about this particular poll.

(Full Disclosure - I am a 4th Degree Knight).

donttread
01-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Poll: 80% Want Justices Who Apply Constitution as Originally Written The vast majority of Americans believe it is important to appoint justices to the Supreme Court who will apply the Constitution as originally set by the Founders and, in particular, protect religious freedom, according to a new Marist poll, sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/poll-80-americans-want-supreme-court-justices-who-apply-constitution

That's great . Just one question. where did they find a sample to draw from who actually KNEW what "the Constitution as written said"? No way this could be a totally random survey. As much as I love the results I think we know that when an average American says "the Constitution as written" they have no idea what they even mean.

Subdermal
01-17-2017, 09:23 AM
I didn't delve into the poll methods. It was a poll sponsored by the Knights of Columbus -- a Catholic Men's Fraternal Organization.

I don't know about that in this circumstance. I've seen many of their sponsored polls surprise me. Again, I don't know about this particular poll.

(Full Disclosure - I am a 4th Degree Knight).

Yeah, but are you a Knight who goes 'Ni'?

:biglaugh:

Subdermal
01-17-2017, 09:24 AM

Marist. Pretty reputable. How much is this bias you identify worth, do you think? The poll was 80%, ffs.

Crepitus
01-17-2017, 09:24 AM
I suspect those numbers are a result of folks not truly understanding what they are being asked.

del
01-17-2017, 09:25 AM
Marist. Pretty reputable. How much is this bias you identify worth, do you think? The poll was 80%, ffs.
about 80%

Cigar
01-17-2017, 09:31 AM
It's a Dumb Question ... kinda like should the Car go forward when you put it in drive. :tongue:

MMC
01-17-2017, 09:31 AM
That's great . Just one question. where did they find a sample to draw from who actually KNEW what "the Constitution as written said"? No way this could be a totally random survey. As much as I love the results I think we know that when an average American says "the Constitution as written" they have no idea what they even mean.
Especially when it comes to the illiberals. They have a hard enough time with the Sunday newspaper comics.

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 09:45 AM
I suspect those numbers are a result of folks not truly understanding what they are being asked.

Your suspicions are based on? I'll admit I don't know. I'm a Knight. If I was asked the question, I'd truly understand what was being asked. I wasn't asked, but if I was.... I'm curious, Crepitus, what do you base your suspicions on. Just a general belief on the unreliability of polls?

donttread
01-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Yeah, but are you a Knight who goes 'Ni'?

:biglaugh:

My father was a Knight as is my BIL. I don't know about degress, I ran from Catholism as a teen.

Chris
01-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Liberals should be delighted with the results yet they grouse. Might help to understand the Constitution.

del
01-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Liberals should be delighted with the results yet they grouse. Might help to understand the Constitution.
might help to understand it's not 1787

do we go back to the 3/5 compromise?

that's how it was originally written, after all

while we're at it, let's eliminate the amendments, including the bill of rights

they weren't oem, either

Chris
01-17-2017, 09:59 AM

they weren't oem, either

If you understood the Constitution you should be delighted as a liberal with an original reading.

Subdermal
01-17-2017, 10:04 AM

about 80%

they weren't oem, either
Obtuse poster is obtuse.

No one on the right has a problem understanding the point of the poll: it exposes the difference between Originalism as an approach to respecting and defending the Constitution - and the "liberties" the left has taken, inventing words and meanings that do not exist in the document to create outcomes that they favor. The poll is a direct slap in the face of people like you, who find no problem in conjuring new law - not supported anywhere else, nor created anywhere else - from the Court.

Doubtless this is why you've recoiled from the topic like a cat does a warm bath.

It acknowledges that the Constitution - as originally written - required Amendments as the only way to alter the document, or add to it, and - last - it understands that the Congress must be the source of such changes, not activist liberals in black robes.

del
01-17-2017, 10:05 AM
If you understood the Constitution you should be delighted as a liberal with an original reading.
if you had an answer, you wouldn't resort to attempting to patronize me.

Chris
01-17-2017, 10:08 AM
if you had an answer, you wouldn't resort to attempting to patronize me.

Huh? Make sense, please.

Consider what the Constitution was for. Consider the difference between the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. Then ask yourself why such parts are the 3/4 compromise were so important. What were they trying to achieve that liberals like you ought to be delighted with?

If you have no desire to discuss this, just say so.

Crepitus
01-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Your suspicions are based on? I'll admit I don't know. I'm a Knight. If I was asked the question, I'd truly understand what was being asked. I wasn't asked, but if I was.... I'm curious, @Crepitus (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1345), what do you base your suspicions on. Just a general belief on the unreliability of polls?

No Sir. I base my opinion on the simple fact that in my experience most people aren't even sure what's in the constitution and the ones that are all interpret it differently.

MisterVeritis
01-17-2017, 11:52 AM
No Sir. I base my opinion on the simple fact that in my experience most people aren't even sure what's in the constitution and the ones that are all interpret it differently.
This indicts our public education system, doesn't it?

Chris
01-17-2017, 11:58 AM

Agree, and that's a shame, truly.

Fewer still know what was in the Articles of Confederation.

AZ Jim
01-17-2017, 12:02 PM
I did two years in catholic school and left the church as a kid. I suspect any poll conducted by KoC.

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 01:30 PM
I did two years in catholic school and left the church as a kid. I suspect any poll conducted by KoC.

The poll wasn't conducted by the KofC, it was sponsored by the KofC. How your defection from the Church has anything to do with the Knights is beside me. Good luck, though.

Standing Wolf
01-17-2017, 01:41 PM
The Knights' position - which, as one would expect, reflects that of the hierarchy of the Catholic Church - is that the First Amendment's "establishment of religion" clause prohibits any government entity from requiring any citizen to follow the law or to comply with a government regulation that ostensibly violates that citizen's religious conscience. The Catholic Church would have us believe that the Founders wanted every citizen - or at least every Christian citizen - to be empowered to ignore any law or regulation they believed God wouldn't want them to comply with. My reading and study supports no such theory.

Make no mistake - this poll is about only two things: birth control and gay people.

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 01:50 PM
The Knights' position - which, as one would expect, reflects that of the hierarchy of the Catholic Church - is that the First Amendment's "establishment of religion" clause prohibits any government entity from requiring any citizen to follow the law or to comply with a government regulation that ostensibly violates that citizen's religious conscience. The Catholic Church would have us believe that the Founders wanted every citizen - or at least every Christian citizen - to be empowered to ignore any law or regulation they believed God wouldn't want them to comply with. My reading and study supports no such theory. Make no mistake - this poll is about only two things: birth control and gay people.

I've only been Roman Catholic my entire life but I've was never taught that it was our belief that "the Founders wanted every citizen - or at least every Christian citizen - to be empowered to ignore any law or regulation they believed God wouldn't want them to comply with." It could be, I'm not a very good Catholic, I struggle with that sin thingy every day (particularly during football season), but I try. I didn't even see gay or birth control mentioned in the article.

DGU

del
01-17-2017, 03:12 PM
I've only been Roman Catholic my entire life but I've was never taught that it was our belief that "the Founders wanted every citizen - or at least every Christian citizen - to be empowered to ignore any law or regulation they believed God wouldn't want them to comply with." It could be, I'm not a very good Catholic, I struggle with that sin thingy every day (particularly during football season), but I try. I didn't even see gay or birth control mentioned in the article.

DGU

i suggest, then, that you go to the statement from the kc embedded in your article

http://www.kofc.org/un/en/news/polls.html#/

oddly, the word constitution doesn't even appear in it.

go figure, huh?

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 03:57 PM
i suggest, then, that you go to the statement from the kc embedded in your article. http://www.kofc.org/un/en/news/polls.html#/ oddly, the word constitution doesn't even appear in it. go figure, huh?

You are correct. It was in the embedded article. Go figure - a Catholic organization being anti-abortion.

MisterVeritis
01-17-2017, 04:02 PM
http://www.kofc.org/en/news/media/new-poll-scotus.html

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – A new poll conducted by the Marist Poll, and sponsored by the Knights of Columbus, has found overwhelming support for the swift nomination of a Supreme Court justice who will apply the Constitution as originally written. Majorities also support interpreting the Constitution as originally intended and quick action to protect religious freedom.

del
01-17-2017, 04:11 PM
You are correct. It was in the embedded article. Go figure - a Catholic organization being anti-abortion.

so where, then, does the headline come from?

there is no reference to the constitution anywhere; it's simply an abortion poll.

edit: apparently, the op link is not the right poll

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 04:12 PM
It came from the article. I think that without more, it's misleading.

del
01-17-2017, 04:13 PM
It came from the article. I think that without more, it's misleading.

it looks like the article linked to the wrong poll.

Standing Wolf
01-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Ironic that many of the same folks who want the courts to say that it's fine for avowed Christians to exempt themselves from following the law on religious liberty grounds are the same people who seem to be most afraid that "Sharia law" will be coming to America next week.

If you don't relish the possibility, don't work so hard to establish the precedent.

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 04:24 PM

Yes, good catch. I missed it.

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Ironic that many of the same folks who want the courts to say that it's fine for avowed Christians to exempt themselves from following the law on religious liberty grounds are the same people who seem to be most afraid that "Sharia law" will be coming to America next week. If you don't relish the possibility, don't work so hard to establish the precedent.

I think it's apples / oranges; but I kind of agree with you. I think parties can contract to apply Sharia Law.

Standing Wolf
01-17-2017, 04:33 PM
I think it's apples / oranges; but I kind of agree with you. I think parties can contract to apply Sharia Law.

In the same way that religious folks have been submitting themselves to the judgments of ecclesial courts - Jewish, Catholic and Protestant - in America for many, many years.

The Xl
01-17-2017, 04:47 PM
I seriously doubt this poll is accurate.

Standing Wolf
01-17-2017, 04:52 PM
I seriously doubt this poll is accurate.

There is far more room for argument in Constitutional matters than some people are willing to admit or want to believe.

Crepitus
01-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Obtuse poster is obtuse.

No one on the right has a problem understanding the point of the poll: it exposes the difference between Originalism as an approach to respecting and defending the Constitution - and the "liberties" the left has taken, inventing words and meanings that do not exist in the document to create outcomes that they favor. The poll is a direct slap in the face of people like you, who find no problem in conjuring new law - not supported anywhere else, nor created anywhere else - from the Court.

Doubtless this is why you've recoiled from the topic like a cat does a warm bath.

It acknowledges that the Constitution - as originally written - required Amendments as the only way to alter the document, or add to it, and - last - it understands that the Congress must be the source of such changes, not activist liberals in black robes.

Don't be silly.

How many conservatives here have complained that income taxes for instance are unconstitutional?

Crepitus
01-17-2017, 07:42 PM
This indicts our public education system, doesn't it?

It would do much better properly funded.

Mister D
01-17-2017, 08:25 PM
It would do much better properly funded.
It's generously funded.

DGUtley
01-17-2017, 08:55 PM

del
01-17-2017, 08:57 PM
yeah, i found it earlier

i think it's more accurate to say that 80% of the population wants the constitution interpreted their way.

Newpublius
01-17-2017, 09:48 PM
CD

I would suggesting the abstract that sounds right to most but I don't think a sizable number has any genuine appreciation of orionalism.

Chris
01-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Thread moved from On the Serious Side. Not much discussion.