PDA

View Full Version : Texas restaurant owner "regrets" MLK Day Chicken, Waffles & Watermelon "Special"

Cigar
01-18-2017, 10:22 AM
http://www.wcnc.com/img/resize/content.wfaa.com/photo/2017/01/17/mlk_facebook_1484704906474_7708763_ver1.0.JPG

http://www.wcnc.com/news/nation-now/restaurant-owner-gets-backlash-on-mlk-facebook-post/387019781

Sabrina Pyle owns Azle Café in Tarrant County. She admits that Monday wasn’t her best day.

“Yesterday I came up with this incredible, ingenious idea for what I thought would bring people in for lunch,” Pyle said.

She quickly learned from a friend that Monday’s special of chicken and waffles with a side of watermelon wasn’t such a good idea.

“After she brought it to my attention, I did take it down. But I didn’t realize it had already been shared,” Pyle said. “I just did something distasteful. I just didn’t think it through.”

Personally I don't blame this Woman; both Black and White People love chicken and waffles with a side of watermelon. But it's White People who made it a Racial thing to associate Chicken and Watermelon with Black People in a Racist manner.

SO if you looking for anyone to get mad at, look at the people tuned it racial.

Scrounger
01-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Chant the mantra.

FindersKeepers
01-18-2017, 10:57 AM
I don't know why that was considered inappropriate. It's true that chicken and waffles can be traced back to the kitchens of African slaves, but now, it's a staple in the South and, while I don't eat chicken anymore, it's still an amazing dish for those who do.

You can order chicken and waffles in nearly every "home cooking" eatery in the South. I could see where it would draw customers as the special of the day.

We're a melting pot of cultures and the best of all of us rises to the top so we can all enjoy.

Maybe I'm different but if I was black, and concerned about heritage things, I'd feel proud to see that special. Because, it's honoring a time-honored dish that originated with early black Americans.

My favorite foods are adaptations of other cultures -- Mexican, Asian, Creole, Italian, and yes, African American. I don't really care all that much for the foods of my heritage, Roma, German, Hungarian, Jewish. If I still ate poultry, I'd opt for chicken and waffles over a burger and fries any day.

Maybe that's just me.

Cigar
01-18-2017, 11:17 AM
I don't know why that was considered inappropriate. It's true that chicken and waffles can be traced back to the kitchens of African slaves, but now, it's a staple in the South and, while I don't eat chicken anymore, it's still an amazing dish for those who do.

You can order chicken and waffles in nearly every "home cooking" eatery in the South. I could see where it would draw customers as the special of the day.

We're a melting pot of cultures and the best of all of us rises to the top so we can all enjoy.

Maybe I'm different but if I was black, and concerned about heritage things, I'd feel proud to see that special. Because, it's honoring a time-honored dish that originated with early black Americans.

My favorite foods are adaptations of other cultures -- Mexican, Asian, Creole, Italian, and yes, African American. I don't really care all that much for the foods of my heritage, Roma, German, Hungarian, Jewish. If I still ate poultry, I'd opt for chicken and waffles over a burger and fries any day.

Maybe that's just me.

Like I said ... African Americans didn't create this issue so it's safe to say, the answer to the problem isn't with them.

FindersKeepers
01-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Like I said ... African Americans didn't create this issue so it's safe to say, the answer to the problem isn't with them.

That's probably true.

Cigar
01-18-2017, 11:32 AM
That's probably true.

I was in Greece for two weeks a few month ago, we were given Watermelon for desert several times and it was good and fresh.

Nothing Racist about serving Good Fresh Watermelon.

Now if it was served in Black-Face that would have been different.

DGUtley
01-18-2017, 11:46 AM
1. I am Mr. Anti-PC, and even I think it was in bad taste on MLK day.
2. Any other day, it'd been ok.
3. She has the right to do it, but it still doesn't make it right -- or even business-smart.

Cigar
01-18-2017, 11:53 AM
1. I am Mr. Anti-PC, and even I think it was in bad taste on MLK day.
2. Any other day, it'd been ok.
3. She has the right to do it, but it still doesn't make it right -- or even business-smart.

A Good Business person will be able to get some Sales and Marketing data on her idea ...

Simple ... did sales and customer data go or down or stayed the same?

DGUtley
01-18-2017, 12:01 PM
A Good Business person will be able to get some Sales and Marketing data on her idea ... Simple ... did sales and customer data go or down or stayed the same?

For me, it doesn't matter. It's still in bad taste, IMHO.

AZ Jim
01-18-2017, 12:22 PM

Maybe that's just me.You blew it when you said "if I was black....". You cannot possible know what you would do or think as a black.

AZ Jim
01-18-2017, 12:26 PM
The only thing she could have done to make it more obvious would be to call the chicken and waffles/watermelon special "the Noose knot beater". Either way the racism is obvious.

Chris
01-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Peeps are too sensitive.

The Xl
01-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Bad timing, but that does sound delicious.

Cigar
01-18-2017, 01:10 PM
The only thing she could have done to make it more obvious would be to call the chicken and waffles/watermelon special "the Noose knot beater". Either way the racism is obvious.

I can't say for sure if she's Racist or not ... but Damn ... you really have to live in a cocoon to not have a Clue.

Scrounger
01-18-2017, 01:34 PM
Even chanting the mantra didn't help our hapless victim.

AZ Jim
01-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Peeps are too sensitive.OR maybe some "peeps" are uncaring, ignorant racist fools!

Chris
01-18-2017, 02:04 PM
OR maybe some "peeps" are uncaring, ignorant racist fools!

Can you be racist without intending it?

Mister D
01-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Is it? It sounds like a weird combo.

Safety
01-18-2017, 02:30 PM
The test that I use for cases like this is: If the restaurant owner was black, would this be a story? If the answer is no, then I don't pay it any attention and move on.

AZ Jim
01-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Can you be racist without intending it?Yes, if you are truly ignorant.

Chris
01-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Yes, if you are truly ignorant.

Does it, like lying, or murder, require intent? I think it does.

Cthulhu
01-19-2017, 01:22 AM
Timing makes it even more hilarious.

When I read it the first time I was thinking how that would hit the spot in the stomach.

Then I read the timing party of it and chuckled a bit.

Still sounds like good eats though.

Fear profits a man nothing.

Cigar
01-19-2017, 01:26 PM
Can you be racist without intending it?

Yea ...

Chris
01-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Yea ...

No. There must be intent.

nathanbforrest45
01-19-2017, 01:47 PM
I would never serve black eyed peas

Cigar
01-19-2017, 01:48 PM
No. There must be intent.

For some people, it's ingrained, they don't know or care.

jimmyz
01-19-2017, 01:50 PM
You blew it when you said "if I was black....". You cannot possible know what you would do or think as a black.

So what you're implying is that "being black" is horrendous. What an odd perspective.

Cigar
01-19-2017, 01:50 PM
I would never serve black eyed peas

I have to eat that crap every News Years day :tongue:

Chris
01-19-2017, 01:51 PM

Ingrained, to be racist or see everything as racist?

This woman in the OP probably doesn't have an evil bone in her body to be a racist. When she realized what she'd done, she was horrified. I think people are just too sensitive these days.

nathanbforrest45
01-19-2017, 01:55 PM
I was born and raised in the South and have lived here all of my life except for my stint in the Navy. I had never heard of chicken and waffles until recently. I don't think its a traditional black or white meal. Much of what is called "soul food" is nothing more than poor folk's Southern cooking that I grew up with.

I will admit adding watermelon to the meal on MLK day was a bit tacky. In the 60's I worked with a black man who told me he would never eat watermelon because of the image of the black kid eating a slice of watermelon.

nathanbforrest45
01-19-2017, 01:57 PM
The test that I use for cases like this is: If the restaurant owner was black, would this be a story? If the answer is no, then I don't pay it any attention and move on.

Oh please, you of all people should know that anything that even hints of racism or can be seen as racism by the race baiters will be front page news for a month.

nathanbforrest45
01-19-2017, 01:59 PM

And its ingrained with some to find offense in every utterance. Like finding "brown bag lunch" to be racist.

AZ Jim
01-19-2017, 02:02 PM
So what you're implying is that "being black" is horrendous. What an odd perspective.Don't be forever ignorant.

Cigar
01-19-2017, 02:04 PM
This can all be resolved by saying what you have to say to someone face ... :grin:

That is if you have the same courage you have on the internet. :laugh:

Chris
01-19-2017, 02:11 PM
This can all be resolved by saying what you have to say to someone face ... :grin:

So you think might is right? I think right is might.

It's not lying unless I intentionally say something wrong. It's not murder unless I intentionally kill you. It's not theft unless I intentionally rob you.

Cigar
01-19-2017, 02:14 PM
So you think might is right? I think right is might.

It's not lying unless I intentionally say something wrong. It's not murder unless I intentionally kill you. It's not theft unless I intentionally rob you.

I don't recommend it for everyone ... so I say go with what works for you.

nathanbforrest45
01-19-2017, 02:15 PM

I don't like chicken and waffles. The first time I saw them was in Roanoke VA in 2010. I will tell anyone that at any time.

What exactly are you talking about?

Chris
01-19-2017, 02:17 PM
I don't recommend it for everyone ... so I say go with what works for you.

But if I don't intend it, it's likely I wouldn't even know or guess, like this woman.

Safety
01-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Oh please, you of all people should know that anything that even hints of racism or can be seen as racism by the race baiters will be front page news for a month.

Did you notice the statement "the test that I use"?

Cigar
01-19-2017, 02:23 PM
But if I don't intend it, it's likely I wouldn't even know or guess, like this woman.
That's why I always say, " Would you like to repeat that ... just once more"? :grin:

Safety
01-19-2017, 02:23 PM

So, you are saying that she just happened to offer chicken and waffles with watermelon on MLK day as a coincidence?

Note, I'm not calling her racist, because I don't think she is, but it was in bad taste.

Chris
01-19-2017, 06:10 PM
So, you are saying that she just happened to offer chicken and waffles with watermelon on MLK day as a coincidence?

Note, I'm not calling her racist, because I don't think she is, but it was in bad taste.

As someone earlier pointed out it's now a common southern dish.

Once she realized it she decided it was in bad taste. But before that, before she was informed, she wasn't in bad taste. It makes no sense to say the speaker doesn't determine his or her meaning, that listeners do. That defies communication.

Chris
01-19-2017, 06:12 PM
That's why I always say, " Would you like to repeat that ... just once more"? :grin:

What's that, whatever it is, got to do with it? The woman serves what she believes was a special dish. You tell her to repeat it, she'll think you appreciated it.

Ethereal
01-19-2017, 06:17 PM
The only reason it wasn't a good idea is because more and more Americans are turning into hypersensitive snowflakes who take offense at everything, even if there is no bad intent.

I mean, does anyone think people would take offense if on St. Patrick's Day a restaurant owner had a special on whiskey and corn beef hash?

Ethereal
01-19-2017, 06:21 PM
For me, it doesn't matter. It's still in bad taste, IMHO.
Why? She wasn't intending any disrespect. Quite the opposite, actually. The special was intended to honor MLK.

Chris
01-19-2017, 06:21 PM
The only reason it wasn't a good idea is because more and more Americans are turning into hypersensitive snowflakes who take offense at everything, even if there is no bad intent.

I mean, does anyone think people would take offense if on St. Patrick's Day a restaurant owner had a special on whiskey and corn beef hash?

^^That.

AeonPax
01-19-2017, 06:34 PM
`
I'm glad I read about this controversy here, because otherwise, I would not have given a shit, but now I do.

Cthulhu
01-20-2017, 12:58 AM
Think about that.

nathanbforrest45
01-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Did you notice the statement "the test that I use"?

One that you imply everyone should use. And you are no more color blind than I am allowed to be.

Safety
01-20-2017, 08:52 AM
One that you imply everyone should use. And you are no more color blind than I am allowed to be.

No, that was an inference that you created.

Cigar
01-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Think about that.

Unless you have a Gun at your head at the ATM :laugh:

Chris
01-20-2017, 09:04 AM
`
I'm glad I read about this controversy here, because otherwise, I would not have given a shit, but now I do.

And the world is a better place now. :P

Cthulhu
01-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Unless you have a Gun at your head at the ATM :laugh:
You're making less sense than usual.