PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem

Don
01-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Played at the NFC championship game. It was truly "jazzed up." Kind of like Hendrix with a horn.

Standing Wolf
01-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Did you forget to post the video, or am I just not seeing it for some reason?

https://youtu.be/qmnHDHNndRo

Standing Wolf
01-22-2017, 03:19 PM
I think that was very, very cool. Nothing outrageous or disrespectful about it.

I can still remember when Jose Feliciano sang the Anthem at a 1968 World Series game, accompanying himself on the guitar. Many people didn't like it because it wasn't a "traditional" rendition. You can even hear people in the crowd booing when he finished. That recording was released as a 45, and became the first singing of the National Anthem to make the top 100 on the pop music charts.

https://youtu.be/x1ZQawbo4Mo

I tend to think most folks have loosened up a bit in terms of what they find acceptable in an Anthem performance.

Common
01-22-2017, 03:28 PM

I can still remember when Jose Feliciano sang the Anthem at a 1968 World Series game, accompanying himself on the guitar. Many people didn't like it because it wasn't a "traditional" rendition. You can even hear people in the crowd booing when he finished. That recording was released as a 45, and became the first singing of the National Anthem to make the top 100 on the pop music charts.

I tend to think most folks have loosened up a bit in terms of what they find acceptable in an Anthem performance.
I havent loosened up nor anyone I know actually. Its like playing any song with a different beat rhyme and instument, It doesnt fit

Standing Wolf
01-22-2017, 07:02 PM
What I find really annoying and disrespectful is when a female singer tries to do a Whitney Houston on the Anthem - running up and down the scale at the end of every line, and "stylizing" it into the ground.

Instrumental renditions of the Anthem can be beautiful, as that sax performance was; my only quibble would be when he held that one note for a long, long time near the end; I thought that was a little showy and unnecessary.

It doesn't always have to sound like the Marine Corps Choir. I know this is going to earn me some sh*t, but I don't even have a problem with people singing it in different languages, when appropriate.

Don
01-22-2017, 11:47 PM
I didn't mind the horn too much except the end like you said. I also don't like when a singer stylizes it. I didn't really mind Hendrix's version of it. It was at a rock concert. If you take out the sound effects for "the rockets red glare and the bombs bursting in air" the rest was pretty good. Even his addition of "taps" might be appropriate at some venues but probably not general use. He was a soldier and unlike some he never said he was ashamed of his service to his country. Something that's bothered me about the anthem being played at sports events the last few years is the fans. It seems like they start cheering quite a bit before the songs over and the impression I get is they want to get to the game. If its going to be politicized or if the fans aren't all that interested maybe they should stop playing it before every sporting event.

Peter1469
01-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAwPA14Ni4

Standing Wolf
01-23-2017, 08:13 AM
I didn't mind the horn too much except the end like you said. I also don't like when a singer stylizes it. I didn't really mind Hendrix's version of it. It was at a rock concert. If you take out the sound effects for "the rockets red glare and the bombs bursting in air" the rest was pretty good. Even his addition of "taps" might be appropriate at some venues but probably not general use. He was a soldier and unlike some he never said he was ashamed of his service to his country. Something that's bothered me about the anthem being played at sports events the last few years is the fans. It seems like they start cheering quite a bit before the songs over and the impression I get is they want to get to the game. If its going to be politicized or if the fans aren't all that interested maybe they should stop playing it before every sporting event.

I go to a lot of Baseball games, and about the only time I note that the crowd starts cheering early is when somebody does a really good job of hitting that high note on the word "free" at the end of the next-to-the-last line...or it was an especially great performance and the fans want to make sure the singer knows what an outstanding job they did.

A few years ago, at a Diamondbacks home game, the Anthem was sung by a young girl; I think she was around nine or ten. She had a really good voice, but she wasn't one of those young singers they have now who, through a combination of genetics and training, sound like adult women; that can actually be a little creepy. Anyway, as I say, she had a really good voice, but it wasn't "over-trained" and she didn't do any styling whatsoever - just a straightforward rendition...and I mean she got a HUGE ovation, and well deserved. One of the best I've ever heard.

I think it's possible to get a little nuts about the Anthem, to be honest. I mean, yes, it's a tradition - for just about a hundred years now, as far as it being sung at ballgames - but playing it or hearing it shouldn't be treated like a religious obligation. At the second game of the World Series in 2001, instead of the Anthem, they had Ray Charles down on the field with his piano performing 'America', and the wife and I had great seats for it; it was something I'll never forget. On the way home, some caller to the post-game radio show was going on about how he "almost left after they didn't play the National Anthem", and I thought, what a moron. You would leave a World Series game in protest because you had to listen to Ray Charles in person sing 'America'? I think that, just as there are religious folks who play the "more pious than thou" game, there are people who play the "more patriotic than you" game.

Don
01-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Here's the worst. Ironically and justly this is what the singer is most remembered, and reviled for.

https://youtu.be/ls1YVhcLD2c

nic34
01-23-2017, 12:40 PM

Nicely done.

Now can we do away with "God Bless America" in the 7th inning. PLEASE!

jigglepete
01-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Victor Wooten played the anthem at MSG before the Nicks game on MLK day...My friend Jack did the sound (one thing off his bucket list lol) If anyone wants, I can post up the half time set as well...

https://youtu.be/BE0lkFSfH_w