PDA

View Full Version : tPF Russian thaw key to countering China’s rise

Peter1469
02-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Probably mentioned in a political science class somewhere. (We need a latest happenings on the serious side).

Russian thaw key to countering China’s rise (http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/russian-thaw-key-to-countering-chinas-rise/)

US relations with the great powers means much more than US relations with minor powers. China is the up and coming threat. Russia and China are historic foes. They have been getting closer lately, and that is not good for the US. This article discusses these issues.

President Donald Trump discussed “mutual cooperation in defeating ISIS” with Russian President Vladimir Putin during a phone call Saturday, according to an official readout from the White House. That the pair discussed working together to defeat the scourge of terrorism garnered little news coverage — but indicates a potentially significant realignment of U.S. foreign policy.

In the short term, joining forces with Russia against ISIS would not only bring in another ally against this existential threat, but it would represent the radical change in Middle East policy that Americans on both the Left and the Right have been calling for since 2008.

No longer would the United States seek to effect “regime change” and nation-building; instead, the focus would be placed on eliminating radical Islamic terrorism. And the long-term implications could prove far more important. Acting with Russia in Syria could help to curtail a creeping Russian alliance with the Chinese — an alliance born largely of our own actions and which, if fully formed, has the potential to replace U.S. global hegemony.

Despite their growing relationship, Russia and China do not have a historical record of cooperation, and this history may offer Trump an opportunity. If anything their relationship has traditionally been adversarial — for centuries, Russia has been wary of Chinese power and expansion. As recently as 1969, this escalated into open warfare. According to Bob Savic of the Global Policy Institute, this unease remains. "Possibly the most serious undermining of the China-Russia relationship could come from its very success ... there is likely to be mounting concern in Russia of a 'Chinese takeover' of the sparsely populated Russian Far East and other regions of Siberia."

Russia has a long border with China. And little population between China and the vast resource rich territory north of that border. Something to think about.

Read more at the link.

MMC
02-03-2017, 07:28 PM
I don't think we can trust Russia and China's relationship to thaw anytime soon. But we can play them against one another. If done correctly.

Peter1469
02-03-2017, 09:49 PM
I don't think we can trust Russia and China's relationship to thaw anytime soon. But we can play them against one another. If done correctly.

Russia and China have been drawing closer for a decade. The article is about reversing that. The thaw is US / Russia relations.

MMC
02-04-2017, 06:19 AM
Russia and China have been drawing closer for a decade. The article is about reversing that. The thaw is US / Russia relations.

That's my point.....I don't think we can reverse that. Moreover, I think they would be looking for us to try.

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 07:50 AM
That's my point.....I don't think we can reverse that. Moreover, I think they would be looking for us to try.

I disagree. China is a real threat to Russia's territory. The US is not.

MMC
02-04-2017, 08:42 AM
I disagree. China is a real threat to Russia's territory. The US is not.

Not really.....and Chinas expansion in the direction that they have taken shows they have no interest in clashing with Russia.

AeonPax
02-04-2017, 08:49 AM
`
`
I read something about a new silk road.....trains going across land from China to the coast of France. China has a heavy investment in Africa.

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Not really.....and Chinas expansion in the direction that they have taken shows they have no interest in clashing with Russia.

They are not ready. They have to build their military.

China has a lot of people and needs a lot of resources. Siberia has very little people and a lot of resources. Anyway, historically the two have not been on good terms. We can use that to our benefit if we are smart.