PDA

View Full Version : tPF Fareed Zakaria agrees with some of Trump’s policies

Peter1469
02-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Fareed Zakaria agrees with some of Trump’s policies (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/sorry-president-trump-i-agree-with-you/2017/02/02/95ab9daa-e98b-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.77ccb15bcd13)

That might hurt Trump. But at least Fareed has some smart policy positions.

After his spat with Mexico, after the travel ban, this week President Trump did something that surprised me. He put in place a policy with which I agreed. He placed a smart check on ever-proliferating federal regulations. His executive action (https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/30/presidential-executive-order-reducing-regulation-and-controlling) requires any department that wants to add a regulation to get rid of two existing ones (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/one-in-two-out/). It might seem gimmicky, but the British government instituted just this “one-in, two-out (https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/one-in-two-out-statement-of-new-regulation)” rule in 2013 and it has worked well. In fact, while I find much of Trump’s worldview alarming, I generally agree with some important parts of his program — tax reform, infrastructure investment, deregulation, civil service reform. But the larger question I keep asking myself is: Does Trump want someone like me to agree with him?

resister
02-03-2017, 10:16 PM
This is the last thing I expected him to make good on, I was elated he did. Right or left should be elated, also.

There are to fokking many reggs. As an aside, the only people I would think might be against this are "some" lawyers

Common Sense
02-03-2017, 11:36 PM
While there are a very few stances that I agree with Trump on, his other policies and platform in general overshadow them.

AZ Jim
02-03-2017, 11:49 PM
He is busy removing consumer protections through "Deregulation". He's making us more vulnerable to abuses by big corporations and banks.

Common Sense
02-03-2017, 11:52 PM
He is busy removing consumer protections through "Deregulation". He's making us more vulnerable to abuses by big corporations and banks.
The very few good things he may do are nothing in comparison with all the harm he will do.

Tahuyaman
02-04-2017, 12:02 AM
Liberals live in a world guided by clichés. They are also victims of group think. Everyone must be the same. Individuality is discouraged. If all can't be successful, they prefer to see everyone fail. Success is exemplified when all are equally miserable.

Common Sense
02-04-2017, 12:04 AM
Liberals live in a world guided by clichés. They are also victims of group think. Everyone must be the same. Individuality is discouraged. If all can't be successful, they prefer to see everyone fail. Success is exemplified when all are equally miserable.

Really?

Last I heard, liberals were going on about diversity and people's rights to be themselves.

resister
02-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Really?

Last I heard, liberals were going on about diversity and people's rights to be themselves.Good one CS. Yall seem to hate the idea of deregulation. Iwonder if you and AZ Jim are against this?

Common Sense
02-04-2017, 12:11 AM
Good one CS. Yall seem to hate the idea of deregulation. Iwonder if you and AZ Jim are against this?
Huh?

resister
02-04-2017, 12:16 AM
Huh?
Are you in favor of deregulation?

Common Sense
02-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Are you in favor of deregulation?

In some cases yes, but the majority of regulations are a pain in the ass but are needed. But that doesn't really have anything to do with what I was talking about.

Tahuyaman
02-04-2017, 12:31 AM

Really?

Last I heard, liberals were going on about diversity and people's rights to be themselves.

Yes really. Liberals want you to be yourself as long as being yourself means that you conform to their views.

Diversity of thought and ideas does not exist within the liberal bubble. Liberals want a society with only one class of people. Everyone the same. No one should stand out. They believe in everyone being equal. Not equal in opportunity, but equal in outcomes no matter the level of your individual effort or commitment. Liberalism is hopeless.

Diversity to a liberal is based only on racial identity and ethnicity.

resister
02-04-2017, 12:34 AM
In some cases yes, but the majority of regulations are a pain in the ass but are needed. But that doesn't really have anything to do with what I was talking about.
I wonder if, you can tell me, how many laws are on the registers?

Common Sense
02-04-2017, 12:41 AM
Yes really. Liberals want you to be yourself as long as being yourself means that you conform to their views.

Diversity of thought and ideas does not exist within the liberal bubble. Liberals want a society with only one class of people. Everyone the same. No one should stand out. They believe in everyone being equal. Not equal in opportunity, but equal in outcomes no matter the level of your individual effort or commitment. Liberalism is hopeless.

Diversity to a liberal is based only on racial identity and ethnicity.

That sounds more like your opinion than reality.

Sure there are are far left whack jobs that believe all sorts of stupid shit.

Bethere
02-04-2017, 12:47 AM

This is wrong. Last year, I watched almost every Republican I know go from intense hatred and suspicion of Donald Trump to becoming members of the Donald Trump club in a blink of an eye.

You are seriously projecting.

waltky
02-04-2017, 05:31 AM
Mixed reaction to blocked ban...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
U.S. Customs give airlines green light to board all visa-holders after Seattle ruling
February 4, 2017 - U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) has informed U.S. airlines that they can once again board travelers who had been barred by an executive order last week, after it was blocked nationwide on Friday by a federal judge in Seattle, an airline official told Reuters.

In a conference call at around 9 p.m. EST (0200 GMT), the U.S. agency told airlines to operate just as they had before the order, which temporarily had stopped refugees and nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States. Individuals from those states who have proper visas can now board U.S.-bound flights, and airlines are working to update their websites to reflect the change, said the official, who was not authorized to speak publicly.

The judge's temporary restraining order represents a major challenge to U.S. President Donald Trump's action, although his administration could still appeal the ruling and have the policy upheld.

Judge James Robart, a George W. Bush appointee, made his ruling effective immediately on Friday, suggesting that travel restrictions could be lifted straight away. He is expected to issue a full written ruling over the weekend. CBP and Washington-based trade group Airlines for America did not immediately comment.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-customs-airlines-green-light-board-visa-holders-025119411--finance.html?ref=gs

See also:

Airlines in Iran: No tickets for Iranians holding US visas
Feb 4,`17 -- Foreign airlines have instructed Iranian travel agencies not to sell U.S.-bound flight tickets to Iranians holding U.S. visas after President Donald Trump's executive order banning visas for seven Muslim countries, including Iran.

The move comes even though a U.S. judge on Friday temporarily blocked the ban, siding with two states that urged a nationwide hold on the executive order that has launched legal battles across the country. The directive does not include U.S. airlines.

In Tehran, the Kowsar travel agency told The Associated Press they had been instructed by all foreign airlines not to sell tickets to Iranians with visas to enter the U.S.

The agency said there was no problem for those who have a permanent resident card or a U.S. passport.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TRUMP_TRAVEL_BAN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-04-03-42-05

Related:

The Latest: Qatar airline allowing Muslims to travel to US
Feb 4,`17 -- The Latest on reaction to a court order blocking U.S. President Donald Trump's ban on travelers and immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim countries (all times local):

10:40 a.m.

Qatar Airways has issued an advisory to passengers saying citizens of the seven Muslim-majority countries previously barred from entry who hold a valid U.S. visa or green card will be allowed to travel to the U.S. The airline cited a directive by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Government-backed Qatar Airways is one of a handful of Mideast airlines operating direct daily flights to multiple American cities. Like other Gulf carriers, many of its customers are transit passengers whose journeys originated elsewhere. Its U.S. destinations from its Doha hub include New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington.

10:30 a.m.

Foreign airlines operating in Iran have instructed travel agencies not to sell U.S.-bound flight tickets to Iranians holding U.S. visas in the wake of President Donald Trump's executive order banning visas for seven Muslim countries, including Iran. The move comes even though a U.S. judge on Friday temporarily blocked the ban, siding with two states that urged a nationwide hold on the executive order that has launched legal battles across the country.

The directive does not come from U.S. airlines. In Tehran, the Kowsar travel agency told The Associated Press they had been instructed by foreign airlines not to sell tickets to Iranians with visas to enter the U.S. The agency said there was no problem for those who have a permanent resident card or a U.S. passport.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TRUMP_TRAVEL_BAN_THE_LATEST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-04-03-58-31

MMC
02-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Fareed Zakaria agrees with some of Trump’s policies (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/sorry-president-trump-i-agree-with-you/2017/02/02/95ab9daa-e98b-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.77ccb15bcd13)

That might hurt Trump. But at least Fareed has some smart policy positions.

He keeps asking himself the question does Trump want someone like him to agree with him.

What part didn't he get with......when we come together. There is nothing we can't do.

The better question he should ask himself. What will he do, when the illiberals come after him for agreeing with Trump. As agreeing is also supporting Trump on those issues. Which is something the illiberals just can't stand.

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Most liberals would agree with cutting regulations and those other things he agreed with Trump about.

He keeps asking himself the question does Trump want someone like him to agree with him.

What part didn't he get with......when we come together. There is nothing we can't do.

The better question he should ask himself. What will he do, when the illiberals come after him for agreeing with Trump. As agreeing is also supporting Trump on those issues. Which is something the illiberals just can't stand.

DGUtley
02-04-2017, 08:13 AM

Let me throw this out to you: Hypothetically. Just hypothetically, perhaps The Obama went too far. Just hypothetically. Perhaps, just perhaps, The Donald is going to push it back towards the middle -- where people can get credit and do business? Don't you agree there has to be a balance?

Docthehun
02-04-2017, 08:19 AM
This is wrong. Last year, I watched almost every Republican I know go from intense hatred and suspicion of Donald Trump to becoming members of the Donald Trump club in a blink of an eye.

I'm glad you chose the term, "almost".

Tahuyaman
02-04-2017, 11:25 AM

What does that have to do with my comment on liberals? There are liberal Republicans too.

Plus, I know many Republicans and the ones who didn't support Trump during his campaign are still leery of him. They are supportive of some of his ideas and not so supportive of others. Those people aren't victims of group think.