PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl protests

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Bowl protests (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2017/02/02/super-bowl-2017-protesters-president-donald-trump-houston/97421790/).

I predict zero organic protests at the Super Bowl. I predict 100% manufactured protests from the likes of Soros, et. al.

For sports fans, will blatant NFL participation in these protests (for example but not limited to- sanctioning the half-time talent who will bore us with their political screeds) affect your future viewing habits?

People representing more than a half-dozen protest groups that are set to march and rally here Super Bowl weekend met to coordinate their efforts — in a way New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick would have appreciated. That is to say, the protesters discussed using encrypted communication that would keep opponents from intercepting their messages.

It was so secretive Tuesday night, not all of the group representatives got the full game plan, said Blake Stroud, who created a group called #ResistHouston to connect the protesters and provided USA TODAY Sports with an account of the meeting.

“I guess they’re going for the element of surprise,’’ he said.

The goal: Present a large, loud, peaceful and, in the end, united front, mostly targeting President Trump and his policies on immigration. No fewer than five marches and rallies are scheduled across Houston for Friday through Sunday, and the protests will culminate on game day outside NRG Stadium, site of Super Bowl LI.

Brian Harrison, a local attorney who has provided support for the protesters, said, “Meanwhile, there’s a game being played on Sunday. I haven’t had any time to pay attention to it.’’

Croft
02-04-2017, 11:56 AM
We know how these people feel so why do they think they have to endlessly remind us? People who agree with them will continue to and people like me who think they're trash will continue to do that. So what's the point, is it just to be irritating?

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 12:17 PM
We know how these people feel so why do they think they have to endlessly remind us? People who agree with them will continue to and people like me who think they're trash will continue to do that. So what's the point, is it just to be irritating?

I think that they really believe that they are "making a difference," and that people actually care about what comes out of their mouths.

Standing Wolf
02-04-2017, 12:33 PM
I've always believed in the power of attorneys with briefcases, and think that - generally speaking - it far surpasses that of any number of protesters with signage and bullhorns.

Nevertheless, I view it as a good thing when citizens choose to actually get off the couch and go out to publicly support a cause or oppose a situation, whatever it may be. The powers that be need frequently to be reminded that we see what they are doing and are not sheep. More importantly, I think it serves as a reminder to all that America is not one of those countries where showing up at any such protest, rally, march, what-have-you, means that you and/or your family may disappear in the night, or that you might lose your job or property.

We can think a particular protest, or the sentiment behind it, is silly, annoying or unnecessary, and still appreciate that we live in a country where it can happen.

Hal Jordan
02-04-2017, 12:46 PM
I've always believed in the power of attorneys with briefcases, and think that - generally speaking - it far surpasses that of any number of protesters with signage and bullhorns.

Nevertheless, I view it as a good thing when citizens choose to actually get off the couch and go out to publicly support a cause or oppose a situation, whatever it may be. The powers that be need frequently to be reminded that we see what they are doing and are not sheep. More importantly, I think it serves as a reminder to all that America is not one of those countries where showing up at any such protest, rally, march, what-have-you, means that you and/or your family may disappear in the night, or that you might lose your job or property.

We can think a particular protest, or the sentiment behind it, is silly, annoying or unnecessary, and still appreciate that we live in a country where it can happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xmckWVPRaI

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 01:00 PM
I bet we don't see any organic protests.

We will see bused in paid pros.

Standing Wolf
02-04-2017, 01:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xmckWVPRaI

I've been getting more and more black screens lately, when people post videos - I don't know why. Anyway, yeah, I copied and pasted the URL into my browser and was able to watch it that way. The dad in that video looked familiar. Was that Neidermeyer from Animal House?

Croft
02-04-2017, 01:11 PM
I think that they really believe that they are "making a difference," and that people actually care about what comes out of their mouths.
Sad. To me it just looks like an endless tantrum by people who just never reached a level of emotional maturity where they can cope with people having different views to them. They have to categorize people as fascist and nazi like some throwback pricks from 1930s Russia where anyone who doesn't follow the party line is a fascista.

We had to go through decades of open borders by our leaders who well knew that we hated it, the mass export of millions of jobs and endless representation of us in the media as all that's bad yet we waited until enough of us were pissed off enough to finally change it at the ballot box.
Now for the first time in many of us's lives we have representation and a chance to see what we want for a change and we get a bunch of brainwashed morons getting violent. And all we want is enforcement of the nation's laws and jobs returning to the country so people can have a livelihood.

And haven't they seen the mayhem in Europe? The terrorist attacks, mass rapes, awful social divides between obviously hostile and incompatible cultures? You'd think even the dumbest fool could see it's just a disaster and something desperately to avoid yet they're all screaming welcome the refugees. I think you really have to be brainwashed to just go with trained emotional responses like that instead of rationality.

It's horrible, and they really just seem like horrible brats.

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Sad. To me it just looks like an endless tantrum by people who just never reached a level of emotional maturity where they can cope with people having different views to them. They have to categorize people as fascist and nazi like some throwback pricks from 1930s Russia where anyone who doesn't follow the party line is a fascista.

We had to go through decades of open borders by our leaders who well knew that we hated it, the mass export of millions of jobs and endless representation of us in the media as all that's bad yet we waited until enough of us were pissed off enough to finally change it at the ballot box.
Now for the first time in many of us's lives we have representation and a chance to see what we want for a change and we get a bunch of brainwashed morons getting violent. And all we want is enforcement of the nation's laws and jobs returning to the country so people can have a livelihood.

And haven't they seen the mayhem in Europe? The terrorist attacks, mass rapes, awful social divides between obviously hostile and incompatible cultures? You'd think even the dumbest fool could see it's just a disaster and something desperately to avoid yet they're all screaming welcome the refugees. I think you really have to be brainwashed to just go with trained emotional responses like that instead of rationality.

It's horrible, and they really just seem like horrible brats.

The underlined sums it up. I call them SJWs.

Croft
02-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Yeah, that's what they are. The bigots.

Hal Jordan
02-04-2017, 01:21 PM
I've been getting more and more black screens lately, when people post videos - I don't know why. Anyway, yeah, I copied and pasted the URL into my browser and was able to watch it that way. The dad in that video looked familiar. Was that Neidermeyer from Animal House?

Yes, it was Neidermeyer.

decedent
02-04-2017, 01:26 PM
"I agree with free speech... unless it's from liberals."

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 01:32 PM

That is your problem.

I have no problem with free speech and that isn't what this thread is about. Try again.

Hal Jordan
02-04-2017, 01:32 PM

I am against free speech altogether.

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/will_argue_with_anyone_about_anything.jpg

Common
02-04-2017, 01:50 PM
They are going to protest themselves into oblivion, I dont pay any attention to it other than here

donttread
02-04-2017, 02:26 PM
Super Bowl protests (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/super/2017/02/02/super-bowl-2017-protesters-president-donald-trump-houston/97421790/).

I predict zero organic protests at the Super Bowl. I predict 100% manufactured protests from the likes of Soros, et. al.

For sports fans, will blatant NFL participation in these protests (for example but not limited to- sanctioning the half-time talent who will bore us with their political screeds) affect your future viewing habits?

What the hell does the SB have to do with Trump?

Don
02-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Nothing and if the NFL doesn't deal with it they are going to lose even more fans. I agree with a post above, if someone tries to "protest" at NFL games the fans ought to boo them and not stop booing them til they shut their pie holes. There is a time and place for protests and it isn't at an NFL game. The NFL isn't government, they are a business.

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 03:27 PM

Nothing but the professional protesters are going to come out of the wood work. And the half time talent will likely be inappropriate as well.

The NFL is going to suffer in the long run.

Subdermal
02-04-2017, 03:32 PM
^^^^Blissfully unaware of how weak arguments that he has to invent makes him look^^^^

Don
02-04-2017, 03:38 PM
^^^^Blissfully unaware of how weak arguments that he has to invent makes him look^^^^

The ironic thing is that the truth is just the opposite. I'm just not seeing the "non-liberals" systematically shutting down any and all free speech they don't agree with with rules that inhibit them and threats of violence and actual violence.

Subdermal
02-04-2017, 03:42 PM

The ironic thing is that the truth is just the opposite. I'm just not seeing the "non-liberals" systematically shutting down any and all free speech they don't agree with with rules that inhibit them and threats of violence and actual violence.
Exactly.

It's the liberals who were shutting down the conservative comedian, and it's the liberals who blocked Milo and forced the event to be cancelled.

Liberals hate free speech, because too much of it challenges their screed.

Hal Jordan
02-04-2017, 04:00 PM

They're just doing it for the exposure.

Crepitus
02-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Lol. So why do you continue to post here? We all know where you are gonna stand on most issues so what's the point?

Crepitus
02-04-2017, 05:42 PM

That's basically what's being said yes.

Negative1
02-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Yes, "liberals" as some call them, but tey are more like totalitarian nitwits and paid provacateurs are protesting against free speech.

But if anyone deserves to be protested, it's probably bill Belichick. pretty sure the guy is a test tube baby from Nazi germany, and his owner, Kraft, is one of those who turned on his own kind. :)

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 06:17 PM
That's basically what's being said yes.

Review the OP. It isn't.

Hint: protests will not be organic. They will be manufactured.

Croft
02-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Lol. So why do you continue to post here? We all know where you are gonna stand on most issues so what's the point?
Well I'm not blocking cars on highways or assaulting people because they may have voted Trump. so I guess I'm not affecting anyone. The same as if I just stood on a roadsife with a sign, people could take me or leave me. But these freaks go out of their way to mess with people's actual lives and even silence people in a free country. And all because they can't accept that their BS doesn't control the White House anymore.

And hopefully pretty soon they won't control the campuses like commie bully boys anymore. The crying from the Proffs when Trump talked about withdrawing public funding shows how scared the jumped up little commissars are of that one.

Crepitus
02-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Well I'm not blocking cars on highways or assaulting people because they may have voted Trump. so I guess I'm not affecting anyone. The same as if I just stood on a roadsife with a sign, people could take me or leave me. But these freaks go out of their way to mess with people's actual lives and even silence people in a free country. And all because they can't accept that their BS doesn't control the White House anymore.

And hopefully pretty soon they won't control the campuses like commie bully boys anymore. The crying from the Proffs when Trump talked about withdrawing public funding shows how scared the jumped up little commissars are of that one.

Wow, you are pretty upset that they don't like that vicious little bigot. You a big fan or something?

Croft
02-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Wow, you are pretty upset that they don't like that vicious little bigot. You a big fan or something?
Alright I guess I am a bit tired of it. But when did we last have a new President where the country is subjected to endless violence hiding under protest? If right wingers had done half of this in the first weeks of Obama's Presidency the warnings about fascism would have been deafening.

resister
02-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Don't get confused, the foreign born mooslim, is outta the WH ! Thank Allah!

Crepitus
02-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Alright I guess I am a bit tired of it. But when did we last have a new President where the country is subjected to endless violence hiding under protest? If right wingers had done half of this in the first weeks of Obama's Presidency the warnings about fascism would have been deafening.

Oh come on. There's a poster in this very thread still saying Obama is a Kenyan Muslim.

resister
02-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Oh come on. There's a poster in this very thread still saying Obama is a Kenyan Muslim.
Boo ^

Crepitus
02-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Boo ^

Thats not anything to be proud of my friend.

Croft
02-04-2017, 09:56 PM
They're definitely are worried about their funding. "Ooh we cherish free speech, it's Breitbart what dun it". lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3DcECyM0YM

birddog
02-05-2017, 12:32 AM

There's more proof he is than he isn't.:tongue:

resister
02-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Thats not anything to be proud of my friend.
You are not my "friend"

Ethereal
02-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Who said that? Or are you just making things up again?

Ethereal
02-05-2017, 12:38 AM
I'm pretty sure most reasonable people are sick of self-centered little leftists blocking traffic and setting fire to college campuses.

Hal Jordan
02-05-2017, 12:41 AM
Actually, you've got that backwards.

Crepitus
02-05-2017, 01:07 AM

Ok, now there's two.

Crepitus
02-05-2017, 01:10 AM
You are not my "friend"

I was until you got comfortable with the more vocally vicious conservatives you call friend now.

Crepitus
02-05-2017, 01:13 AM
I'm pretty sure most reasonable people are sick of self-centered little leftists blocking traffic and setting fire to college campuses.

Actually no, in my opinion they shoukd.keep it up. What good is protesting if you give up before you achieve your goal?

Ethereal
02-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Actually no, in my opinion they shoukd.keep it up. What good is protesting if you give up before you achieve your goal?
I'm not sure how pissing off random people and stomping on the first amendment will help them achieve their goal. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

resister
02-05-2017, 01:16 AM
I was until you got comfortable with the more vocally vicious conservatives you call friend now.We were ok until you felt the need to viciously, personally attack me.

Crepitus
02-05-2017, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure how pissing off random people and stomping on the first amendment will help them achieve their goal. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Attention to.their point/cause.

Crepitus
02-05-2017, 01:25 AM
We were ok until you felt the need to viciously, personally attack me.

No idea what you're talking about. I only retaliate, I never attack.

Ethereal
02-05-2017, 01:27 AM
Attention to.their point/cause.
It's not enough to simply draw attention to yourself. You must get people to sympathize with your cause and behaving like a bunch of petty tyrants tends to have the opposite effect.

Crepitus
02-05-2017, 01:33 AM
It's not enough to simply draw attention to yourself. You must get people to sympathize with your cause and behaving like a bunch of petty tyrants tends to have the opposite effect.

I dont necessary agree with their tactics, but I support their right to do whatever it is they feel will make a difference. As long as it's legal of course.

Ethereal
02-05-2017, 01:35 AM
I dont necessary agree with their tactics, but I support their right to do whatever it is they feel will make a difference. As long as it's legal of course.
Well it's not legal to block traffic and it certainly isn't legal to riot on a college campus.

resister
02-05-2017, 01:37 AM
I was until you got comfortable with the more vocally vicious conservatives you call friend now.I called you a friend until you felt the need to viciously attack me.

resister
02-05-2017, 01:40 AM
No idea what you're talking about. I only retaliate, I never attack.Now you can add lying to your sins, should I look it up to make you own it?

Subdermal
02-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Again and again you demonstrate how and why you are part of the problem.

Common Sense
02-05-2017, 10:41 AM
I predict a strong backlash against Budweiser.

Crepitus
02-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Again and again you demonstrate how and why you are part of the problem.

I want to be as big a problem as I can to the current illegitimate administration. We all should. Maybe if we force him to miss his tv time he'll give up and go home.

Adelaide
02-05-2017, 12:27 PM
I find it hard to care about the Super Bowl.

If the protests are peaceful, also find it hard to care. Whatever blows your hair back.

Tahuyaman
02-05-2017, 12:33 PM
It would be kind of refreshing if we could watch a football game and not have someone's political views thrown in your face.

Peter1469
02-05-2017, 12:36 PM
It would be kind of refreshing if we could watch a football game and not have someone's political views thrown in your face.

The OP had two teachable moments (hat tip to Obama).

1. These protests will not be organic. They will be manufactured.

2. Will the fans start to stop watching and purchasing tickets if the sports commentators and half-time talent keep bring politics into the game? Viewership has been down this year. ESPN is hemorrhaging viewers- I think because of this second point.

Tahuyaman
02-05-2017, 12:53 PM
The OP had two teachable moments (hat tip to Obama).

1. These protests will not be organic. They will be manufactured.

2. Will the fans start to stop watching and purchasing tickets if the sports commentators and half-time talent keep bring politics into the game? Viewership has been down this year. ESPN is hemorrhaging viewers- I think because of this second point.

ESPN is losing viewers for several reasons. ESPN is now catering to one particular demographic.

The NFL has lost some of their appeal and inserting politics into the game by the players is obviously part of that.

decedent
02-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Exactly.

It's the liberals who were shutting down the conservative comedian...

Trump?

Green Arrow
02-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Free media coverage courtesy of the year's biggest event, obviously.

Green Arrow
02-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Protesting at the Super Bowl is a great idea, it's free exposure.

How they choose to protest is another matter entirely, and could make the smart idea of protesting at the Super Bowl a pretty dumb one.

Green Arrow
02-05-2017, 01:51 PM
And to answer the question, no, this will not impact my viewing habits in any way as long as I still get to see every play of the game.

Peter1469
02-05-2017, 01:59 PM
And to answer the question, no, this will not impact my viewing habits in any way as long as I still get to see every play of the game.

ESPN needs fans like you. :wink:

Green Arrow
02-05-2017, 02:11 PM
ESPN news fans like you. :wink:

I actually don't watch ESPN much, I prefer NFL Network.

Peter1469
02-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Some commercials went politica (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/02/06/super-bowl-ads-go-political-marring-otherwise-classic-game.html)l. L. Gaga decided to stay classy (http://fusion.net/story/384895/lady-gaga-super-bowl-performance/?utm_campaign=ThisIsFusion&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social) (thank you). There were protests outside (http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/BLM-protesters-set-to-intersect-with-Super-Bowl-10909704.php) the venue and thankfully the game coverage ignored them.

Peter1469
02-07-2017, 09:55 PM
84 Lumber and the big-budget Super Bowl ad to nowhere (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/02/06/84-lumber-and-the-big-budget-super-bowl-ad-to-nowhere/?utm_term=.56e18bd8d325)
A waste of $15M ($5M per 30 seconds for a Super Bowl ad).

That and other commercials spurred a backlash (http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/05/opinions/super-bowl-immigration-ads-miss-the-mark-reyes/) on social media and elsewhere. Some viewers accused 84 Lumber of promoting illegal immigration. Others supported the Pennsylvania company’s values that promote striving and success.

The ads came just a week after President Trump raised a national firestorm with his order to temporarily ban refugees and immigrants from seven mostly Muslim-dominated countries as part of his national security policy.

84 Lumber wasn’t alone in the Super Bowl ad pile on. Many other big brands, from beer giant Anheuser-Busch InBev to Audi, Airbnb and Kia autos used their Super Bowl time — at $5 million per 30 seconds — to break through. The challenge is to get viewers, whether they are chatting at a party or standing among a scrum at a bar, to pause and take notice — and maybe talk about it later.