PDA

View Full Version : Warning: ​Is America Headed For It's First Coup?

rcfieldz
02-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Is America Headed For It's First Coup?

With the recent overturn of Trumps ban on travel from 7 countries,
and the disdain by the left for many of his cabinet picks,
Could he be ousted from office in his first year of his first term?

Things seem to be escalating and the rumors of his behavior sound anything but good.
Will America see an upheaval in it's electorate more than just the protesting that's beginning to turn riotous?

I guess we will see...

MisterVeritis
02-04-2017, 06:13 PM

Things seem to be escalating and the rumors of his behavior sound anything but good.
Will America see an upheaval in it's electorate more than just the protesting that's beginning to turn riotous?
I guess we will see...

No.

Trump's only danger is the Republican Party. For example, the idiot John McCain, cannot stand being on the winning side. He will do all he can to get back to the minority status where he is comfortable. McCain's illegitimate son, Lindsay, likewise is a loser who cannot stand winning. Maybe that is why he is McCain's shadow. Murkowski and Collins are also losers who don't know how to win. But all four know how to sabotage others to try to keep others from winning.

rcfieldz
02-04-2017, 06:19 PM
McCain behind the commotion and putting fire to it all? Interesting. President McCain. Sounds good. Too bad he didn't make it the first time.

MisterVeritis
02-04-2017, 06:20 PM
McCain behind the commotion and putting fire to it all? Interesting. President McCain. Sounds good. Too bad he didn't make it the first time.
President McCain sounds awful. Fortunately, he lost.

Peter1469
02-04-2017, 06:29 PM
The first coup was in 1963.

If Trump isn't careful he may follow JFK.

Ravens Fan
02-04-2017, 06:31 PM
The first coup was in 1963.

If Trump isn't careful he may follow JFK.
I was about to ask why the OP though this would be our first coup, if it were to happen?

waltky
02-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Coup d' etet...

... coup d' gras...

... or more likely chicken coup?

Ethereal
02-04-2017, 08:42 PM
That all depends on how well Trump plays along with the deep state overlords. His saber-rattling towards Iran and his slavishness towards Israel must be extremely pleasing to them, and his UN envoy's recent condemnations of "Russian aggression" will come as a pleasant surprise, but I'm not sure how they feel about his belligerence towards China given their status as a trading partner and creditor. On net, though, Trump seems to be acting like a typical neo-con, which is a good sign for the oligarchy. They want endless war and Trump seems rather eager to embrace that.

Green Arrow
02-04-2017, 08:53 PM
That all depends on how well Trump plays along with the deep state overlords. His saber-rattling towards Iran and his slavishness towards Israel must be extremely pleasing to them, and his UN envoy's recent condemnations of "Russian aggression" will come as a pleasant surprise, but I'm not sure how they feel about his belligerence towards China given their status as a trading partner and creditor. On net, though, Trump seems to be acting like a typical neo-con, which is a good sign for the oligarchy. They want endless war and Trump seems rather eager to embrace that.

He has allegedly told the Not-President of Ukraine that he wouldn't lift sanctions on Russia.

Ethereal
02-04-2017, 08:56 PM
He has allegedly told the Not-President of Ukraine that he wouldn't lift sanctions on Russia.
I'll wait until there is some kind of confirmation for that. The media has a tendency to lie about everything, especially when it concerns Russia and Ukraine. So it might just be a piece of misinformation designed to ratchet up tensions. In any case, things are starting to look increasingly bleak for anyone who hoped Trump would follow a more realist or non-interventionist foreign policy.

Green Arrow
02-04-2017, 08:57 PM
I'll wait until there is some kind of confirmation for that. The media has a tendency to lie about everything, especially when it concerns Russia and Ukraine. So it might just be a piece of misinformation designed to ratchet up tensions. In any case, things are starting to look increasingly bleak for anyone who hoped Trump would follow a more realist or non-interventionist foreign policy.

It wouldn't exactly be out of place with his recent moves. But you're right, that's why I said he "allegedly" said that. We shall see what is confirmed.

AZ Jim
02-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Live by the sword, die by the sword. This president* has stirred up hatred on both sides and it may just be his undoing.

MisterVeritis
02-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Live by the sword, die by the sword. This president* has stirred up hatred on both sides and it may just be his undoing.
I predict you will be looking for Trump's "undoing" right up until the day you die.

AZ Jim
02-04-2017, 11:26 PM
I predict you will be looking for Trump's "undoing" right up until the day you die.Veritis, you seem overly concerned with my demise.

MisterVeritis
02-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Veritis, you seem overly concerned with my demise.
Not at all. It is commentary on your poor prognostication skills.

Hal Jordan
02-05-2017, 12:57 AM

The hatred was already stirred up.

resister
02-05-2017, 12:59 AM
The hatred was already stirred up.
Right about 2008

Hal Jordan
02-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Right about 2008

The stirring started long before that. It was pushed back by 9/11, but they quickly overcame that.

resister
02-05-2017, 01:13 AM
The stirring started long before that. It was pushed back by 9/11, but they quickly overcame that.What do you mean by "it was pushed back"?

Hal Jordan
02-05-2017, 01:21 AM
What do you mean by "it was pushed back"?
I mean Americans were brought together briefly.

Tonkinsleuth
02-05-2017, 01:28 AM
Trump is not someone we can rely on. And we don't know where Trump is in his relationship with Putin. There is something strange going on with that In fact we don't know where Trump is at all. He is a loose cannon on deck with Steve Bannon calling in the aiming coordinates for him. We have the wrong guy in the wrong house. He is a piece of shit. Full stop.

Green Arrow
02-05-2017, 01:34 AM
Right about 2008
Contrary to popular conservative belief Barack Obama is not the sole source of all our problems and the U.S. was not a utopia until Jan. 20 2009.

donttread
02-05-2017, 08:36 AM

I guess we will see...

How are gun control freaks going to operate a coup ?

Peter1469
02-05-2017, 08:38 AM

You are getting close to a visit from the Secret Service, sport. Mods may want to police this stuff.

donttread
02-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Contrary to popular conservative belief Barack Obama is not the sole source of all our problems and the U.S. was not a utopia until Jan. 20 2009.

The main source of our problems is the donkephant and their collective stranglehold on power, which goes back much further than 2009. While Trump spent a long time as a dem and is now a registered repub, he is not mainstream Washington and that's a start.

rcfieldz
02-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Does this man resemble anyone you know?

Peter1469
02-05-2017, 09:18 AM
A man with deep ties to the CIA and the mob. Not part of the triangulation ambush in Dallas.

rcfieldz
02-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Also believes in soviet propaganda.

MisterVeritis
02-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Trump is not someone we can rely on. And we don't know where Trump is in his relationship with Putin. There is something strange going on with that In fact we don't know where Trump is at all. He is a loose cannon on deck with Steve Bannon calling in the aiming coordinates for him. We have the wrong guy in the wrong house. He is a piece of shit. Full stop.
This makes me smile.

You can make an effort to defeat him in four years. By then the economy will be booming, the wall built, Obamacare gone, taxes reformed and the regulatory state cut way back. Do you honestly think people will want to return to welfare instead of having jobs?

Green Arrow
02-05-2017, 10:58 AM
The main source of our problems is the donkephant and their collective stranglehold on power, which goes back much further than 2009. While Trump spent a long time as a dem and is now a registered repub, he is not mainstream Washington and that's a start.

The main source of our problems is the gullibility and ignorance of our populace.

Peter1469
02-05-2017, 01:04 PM
Also believes in soviet propaganda.

Oswald? No. He was spying for the US. His pro-communist activities were his cover.

suds00
02-05-2017, 04:21 PM
This makes me smile.

You can make an effort to defeat him in four years. By then the economy will be booming, the wall built, Obamacare gone, taxes reformed and the regulatory state cut way back. Do you honestly think people will want to return to welfare instead of having jobs?
you're going to china?

ripmeister
02-05-2017, 05:54 PM
No.

Trump's only danger is the Republican Party. For example, the idiot John McCain, cannot stand being on the winning side. He will do all he can to get back to the minority status where he is comfortable. McCain's illegitimate son, Lindsay, likewise is a loser who cannot stand winning. Maybe that is why he is McCain's shadow. Murkowski and Collins are also losers who don't know how to win. But all four know how to sabotage others to try to keep others from winning.

Pretty funny. Some stand for principles while other homers like lyin Ted will set it all aside so they are winners.

ripmeister
02-05-2017, 06:00 PM
The main source of our problems is the gullibility and ignorance of our populace.

Per another thread on the site hence the need for a strong public education system

rcfieldz
02-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Oswald? No. He was spying for the US. His pro-communist activities were his cover.
Your age shows.

rcfieldz
02-05-2017, 06:07 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Harvey_Oswald

"Slightly built, Oswald was nicknamed Ozzie Rabbit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozzie_Rabbit) after the cartoon character; he was also called Oswaldskovich[38] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Harvey_Oswald#cite_note-40) because he espoused pro-Soviet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet) sentiments."

Peter1469
02-05-2017, 07:39 PM
Your age shows.

My age has nothing to do with it. Read the historical record. Nobody has explained how Oswald could defect to the USSR and be allowed back and get jobs with CIA top secret programs. There is a lot more of course, but that has never been explained.

MisterVeritis
02-05-2017, 07:41 PM

you're going to china?
Try to limit posting to when you are sober.

MisterVeritis
02-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Per another thread on the site hence the need for a strong public education system
Hence DeVos.

Subdermal
02-06-2017, 12:11 AM
you're going to china?

:thinking:

Hal Jordan
02-06-2017, 12:17 AM

Why?

Hal Jordan
02-06-2017, 12:19 AM
Hence DeVos.
Strong public education + Devos= DOES NOT COMPUTE

Green Arrow
02-06-2017, 12:50 AM

Where's the fun in that?

MisterVeritis
02-06-2017, 05:02 AM
Strong public education + Devos= DOES NOT COMPUTE
Of course, it does. I would like to get big government out of big education. Barring that it is time we had someone who is not in a Union pocket. Returning power and authority to parents and local educators will help public education.

donttread
02-06-2017, 07:20 AM

Right, Jefferson warned us what the price of freedom was and we quit making the payments long ago. However, we cannot ask the poulace to simply stop being " gullible and ignorant" we need to explain why. And the why is the collective long term abuse of power and failure to work "for the people" of the donkephant .

ripmeister
02-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Hence DeVos.
She would be antithetical to what we need.

AeonPax
02-06-2017, 11:15 AM
`
`
The Hollywood morons seem to hope so.

Tonkinsleuth
02-08-2017, 10:42 PM
hello rcfieldz (http://thepoliticalforums.com/members/2240-rcfieldz)
I read your concerns and I share the same concerns. I am very concerned. This appointment of Jefferson Bureaguard (SP) Sessions is a big issue. Attorney General at a time when Trump is railing against the Judiciary because he (Trump) is not getting immediate agreement for us 'not well thought out' travel ban/Muslim ban program. He believes that he, as the Commander in Chief, that he will get whatever he wants. THe more he complains about the judges the more they will stuff him. Even Judge Gorsuch has made it clear the he is not comfortable with the Trump banging the senior judes involved. I think that Gorsuch will walk away from his nomination for the Supreme Court. He is worried that Trump will want him to agree to everything that Trump wants..like Sessions will do at the lower court.
We have a major problem with this guy and it is a serious one.

Peter1469
02-08-2017, 11:01 PM
What would cause a Justice to feel pressure from POTUS. Or anyone lower than POTUS?

rcfieldz
02-08-2017, 11:04 PM
hello rcfieldz (http://thepoliticalforums.com/members/2240-rcfieldz)
I read your concerns and I share the same concerns. I am very concerned. This appointment of Jefferson Bureaguard (SP) Sessions is a big issue. Attorney General at a time when Trump is railing against the Judiciary because he (Trump) is not getting immediate agreement for us 'not well thought out' travel ban/Muslim ban program. He believes that he, as the Commander in Chief, that he will get whatever he wants. THe more he complains about the judges the more they will stuff him. Even Judge Gorsuch has made it clear the he is not comfortable with the Trump banging the senior judes involved. I think that Gorsuch will walk away from his nomination for the Supreme Court. He is worried that Trump will want him to agree to everything that Trump wants..like Sessions will do at the lower court.
We have a major problem with this guy and it is a serious one.

Well our beloved leader who is going to make America great again needs people who see things the way he does. But I do believe the people who are protesting are disillusioned and ill informed. Trump being who he is only makes the terrorists hate Americans more. Really not sure if it makes a difference when it comes down to attacks. The terrorists seem to have the ability to adapt to whatever ways we try to stop them. Personally I know my posts may be seen as paranoid rants to some. But I see the opposite as far as the protesters are concerned. I do feel that people are not being told things when they see them. There are or could be cells at work today that are planning bad things. But hey who really knows. And when it comes down to who is holding the top spot in America there will always be a threat to the public. As far as someone worried about the people now being appointed to office I believe about anyone should get a chance. There is just too much hate mongering in this country against it's own citizens when I believe the real threat to Americas freedoms and greatness comes from the other side of the world where peoples beliefs are far worse.

Dr. Who
02-09-2017, 12:32 AM
This makes me smile.

I'm glad you are comfortable with him in office. His personality gives me serious misgivings. He believes that what he thinks is the only relevant factor. He doesn't listen to those who have far more experience and insight. That means his presidency will be made up as he goes along. His decisions will not be based on facts, but knee jerk opinion.

Tonkinsleuth
02-28-2017, 11:18 PM
I think that it is possible that he will not make 4 years. Even his speech tonight was a recap of all the things that he has said over and over again...and no result. He mentioned building the wall again tonight. Insanity. There is not enough $ to do it and the $54 billion he wants for the military. Some people want to give him more time to figure out what to do. I am a bit concerned that he is more concerned with $$$ in his billion $ club cabinet.

Scott
02-28-2017, 11:22 PM
I'm glad you are comfortable with him in office. His personality gives me serious misgivings. He believes that what he thinks is the only relevant factor. He doesn't listen to those who have far more experience and insight. That means his presidency will be made up as he goes along. His decisions will not be based on facts, but knee jerk opinion.

like the guy he replaced?

Dr. Who
02-28-2017, 11:40 PM
like the guy he replaced?

Unlike the guy he replaced, his White House staff are being run ragged (they look it if you see them in pictures). He doesn't operate by any normal management style. He doesn't wait until he gets all the facts, he just gets an idea and demands that it be carried out. If it doesn't work out, he fires them. Few even want to work for him. Many positions have not been filled because few want to work in an atmosphere of chaos. However, that's how he always ran his businesses and one of the reasons he has lost so much money in his lifetime. He has been using his salesmanship to fund his ideas, so his personal losses have been minimized, but he has cost others billions.

patrickt
03-01-2017, 08:19 AM
"Holder: Obama is 'ready to roll'

"Holder said he’s been talking to the former president about ways — including fundraising and interacting with state legislators — that could help the new National Democratic Redistricting Committee, which Obama asked Holder to chair last year. “It’s coming. He’s coming,” Holder said, speaking to reporters at a briefing for the new group. “And he’s ready to roll.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/eric-holder-obama-ready-public-235508

According to former AG Holder, the attempted coup is under way. We have already seen the first serious effort to do away with the peaceful transfer of power with an election.

Standing Wolf
03-01-2017, 08:26 AM
There is only one type of country where holding a leader responsible for his own words and actions, working through all legal channels to hold him to account for his decisions, and opposing him and his policies as appropriate, is considered to be a "coup".

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.sM3DPXjRf-fRtnW-lcrPqgEsDI&pid=15.1

MisterVeritis
03-01-2017, 08:54 AM
I am very comfortable with President Trump.

You have no clue what President Trump is doing given your knee jerk comments. I wonder why you are unable to pay attention to what Trump is doing? I believe a politician doing what is best for the country is in your blind spot. Not that it matters. In a few years, you will realize you are amazed at how much good President Trump did and will discover you look forward to Trump completing his eight wonderful years in office.

Crepitus
03-01-2017, 08:56 AM

"Holder said he’s been talking to the former president about ways — including fundraising and interacting with state legislators — that could help the new National Democratic Redistricting Committee, which Obama asked Holder to chair last year. “It’s coming. He’s coming,” Holder said, speaking to reporters at a briefing for the new group. “And he’s ready to roll.”

According to former AG Holder, the attempted coup is under way. We have already seen the first serious effort to do away with the peaceful transfer of power with an election.

Oh yes, fundraising, talking to state legislators, getting rid of the ridiculous republican gerrymandering, "It's COUP!"

You guys crack me the fuck up!

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder293/60198293.jpg

Green Arrow
03-01-2017, 08:57 AM

Yep, a former president exercising his right to free speech and criticizing the incumbent president is a sign of a coup and a threat to the peaceful transition of power. Incumbent presidents should never be criticized.

MisterVeritis
03-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Yep, a former president exercising his right to free speech and criticizing the incumbent president is a sign of a coup and a threat to the peaceful transition of power. Incumbent presidents should never be criticized.
Barack Hussein O put a shadow government in place. In my opinion, Barack Hussein O is the leader of the coup plotters. Fortunately, a coup is a difficult thing to pull off. We are already wise to it.

And fortunately, President Trump is rolling right over it with accomplishments. The first coup attempt has failed. So will the follow-on attempts.

Standing Wolf
03-01-2017, 12:11 PM

You have no clue what President Trump is doing given your knee jerk comments. I wonder why you are unable to pay attention to what Trump is doing? I believe a politician doing what is best for the country is in your blind spot. Not that it matters. In a few years, you will realize you are amazed at how much good President Trump did and will discover you look forward to Trump completing his eight wonderful years in office.

Seriously...please let me know what you're being prescribed, because I want very badly to get some.

MisterVeritis
03-01-2017, 12:26 PM

Seriously...please let me know what you're being prescribed, because I want very badly to get some.
It really bothers you that the nation won with President Trump, doesn't it?

Time will reveal which of us is right and which is Standing Wolf, won't it?

MisterVeritis
03-01-2017, 12:29 PM
I think that it is possible that he will not make 4 years. Even his speech tonight was a recap of all the things that he has said over and over again...and no result. He mentioned building the wall again tonight. Insanity. There is not enough $ to do it and the $54 billion he wants for the military. Some people want to give him more time to figure out what to do. I am a bit concerned that he is more concerned with $$$ in his billion $ club cabinet.
Let's see if I can reduce your screed to specifics. Then you can tell me if I understood you.
1) The wall will not be built because there is no money to build it.
2) The military will not be rebuilt because there is not enough money to rebuild the military.
3) You don't like a cabinet filled with highly successful people.

Chris
03-01-2017, 07:23 PM

No innuendo about medication etc.

Dr. Who
03-01-2017, 09:36 PM
No.

There have been schisms in the GOP for a very long time. It isn't comprised of one ideology, but several. There are the dominant establishment types of which McCain is one along with the libertarians and the social conservatives. They make uncomfortable bedfellows. Trump is none of the above and likely to face opposition from all of them at one time or another because he is by definition really a liberal. He has no background in rural American politics, but instead in NYC where conservatism is on the endangered species list.

Scott
03-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Unlike the guy he replaced, his White House staff are being run ragged (they look it if you see them in pictures). He doesn't operate by any normal management style. He doesn't wait until he gets all the facts, he just gets an idea and demands that it be carried out. If it doesn't work out, he fires them. Few even want to work for him. Many positions have not been filled because few want to work in an atmosphere of chaos. However, that's how he always ran his businesses and one of the reasons he has lost so much money in his lifetime. He has been using his salesmanship to fund his ideas, so his personal losses have been minimized, but he has cost others billions.

as has Warren Buffett, is there a point to rhetoric?

Green Arrow
03-01-2017, 10:55 PM
No.

Yep, combined the four of them have won 13 Senate elections, one of them (Murkowski) as a write-in candidate. Total losers.

Scott
03-01-2017, 11:02 PM
Yep, combined the four of them have won 13 Senate elections, one of them (Murkowski) as a write-in candidate. Total losers.

Nah, just traitors to their party. I guess you must love McConnell using that logic above....LMAO

Dr. Who
03-01-2017, 11:06 PM
as has Warren Buffett, is there a point to rhetoric?

Not unless you actually care whether or not the Whitehouse is an organizational disaster zone with the turnover of a fast-food franchise.

Scott
03-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Not unless you actually care whether or not the Whitehouse is an organizational disaster zone with the turnover of a fast-food franchise.

much like the one before this one except they caused the chaos for the middle class which is why Hillary lost

Green Arrow
03-01-2017, 11:12 PM
Nah, just traitors to their party. I guess you must love McConnell using that logic above....LMAO

A traitor to a party is an American hero. Parties doom us.

Scott
03-01-2017, 11:14 PM
A traitor to a party is an American hero. Parties doom us.

not in McCains case, except for his service in the armed forces, many have no respect for him

Dr. Who
03-01-2017, 11:32 PM
much like the one before this one except they caused the chaos for the middle class which is why Hillary lost

The prior regime did not have the turnover rate of the current regime. This is fairly unique in the annals of political history.

Scott
03-03-2017, 06:46 PM
The prior regime did not have the turnover rate of the current regime. This is fairly unique in the annals of political history.

so what, a polulists beating a hardened lying ex secretary of state for President is as well

Cletus
03-03-2017, 06:52 PM
I'm glad you are comfortable with him in office. His personality gives me serious misgivings. He believes that what he thinks is the only relevant factor. He doesn't listen to those who have far more experience and insight.

Like who?

Name them.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 06:53 PM
No innuendo about medication etc.
Really, I do not mind. It is all in fun. My meds are quite boring.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 06:56 PM
There have been schisms in the GOP for a very long time. It isn't comprised of one ideology, but several. There are the dominant establishment types of which McCain is one along with the libertarians and the social conservatives. They make uncomfortable bedfellows. Trump is none of the above and likely to face opposition from all of them at one time or another because he is by definition really a liberal. He has no background in rural American politics, but instead in NYC where conservatism is on the endangered species list.
There are days when I wish I could be a Christian so I could pray for a lightning bolt or heart attack (or both!) to end the idiot senator from john mccain, John McCain.

I think we have a dozen examples of just how bad the Republican party can be when we let just anybody in. McCain and Graham may be the worst but they are not the only fools in the party.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 06:58 PM
They run as conservatives and rule as Progressives. I wonder what the impact of open primaries is?

Dangermouse
03-03-2017, 07:26 PM

The Apprentice. Every week, a screwup has to be fired.

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Like who?

Name them.
It was a statement based on his history, which is well documented, but I would say Sean Spicer is a prime example. Perhaps the rest of his harried White House staff might serve as others. It's also no secret that his reputation in that respect precedes him and as a result, Priebus had had a very hard time filling the White House Communications director position. There are about 2000 vacancies in his administration, most of which don't need Senate approval, plus many key cabinet positions that have not been filled. Trump has had fewest Senate confirmations since George H.W. Bush in 1989. http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/25/politics/donald-trump-cabinet-vacancies/

Perhaps some of that can be chalked up to inexperience, but there should really be people chomping at the bit for those positions, which are generally seen as guarantees of career advancement.

Green Arrow
03-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Like who?

Name them.

He's refusing to appoint Sec. Mattis's choice for Undersecretary of Defense. That's one.

Green Arrow
03-03-2017, 07:39 PM
They run as conservatives and rule as Progressives. I wonder what the impact of open primaries is?

None of those four rule as progressives.

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 07:55 PM
There are days when I wish I could be a Christian so I could pray for a lightning bolt or heart attack (or both!) to end the idiot senator from john mccain, John McCain.

I think we have a dozen examples of just how bad the Republican party can be when we let just anybody in. McCain and Graham may be the worst but they are not the only fools in the party.
The GOP has an identity crisis. I think that there should be more political choice and let the political parties negotiate the compromise based on their representation of their electorate. At least people would have some idea of the political ideology that they are supporting. It would be more honest that candidates pretending to represent ideas that they don't actually support just to get elected.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 07:57 PM
He's refusing to appoint Sec. Mattis's choice for Undersecretary of Defense. That's one.
Right. No Obama holdovers. None. Clean the place out.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 07:58 PM
The GOP has an identity crisis. I think that there should be more political choice and let the political parties negotiate the compromise based on their representation of their electorate. At least people would have some idea of the political ideology that they are supporting. It would be more honest that candidates pretending to represent ideas that they don't actually support just to get elected.
We have several different kinds of Republicans. We have the losers like McCain and his illegitimate son Lindsay. We need to find a way to get rid of them. And then we have the winners.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 07:59 PM
None of those four rule as progressives.
McCain does. So does Graham.

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 08:13 PM
We have several different kinds of Republicans. We have the losers like McCain and his illegitimate son Lindsay. We need to find a way to get rid of them. And then we have the winners.
The problem is that who you may consider to be a winner, may not represent the interests of a large number of people who identify as Republican. A significant number of Republicans are social conservatives i.e. the Christian right. That is not your demographic. Another significant demographic, perhaps even the largest, are slightly right of center centrists, both of the latter of whom are actually statists, also not your demographic. Yours is a demographic that doesn't even completely comprise the Teapartiests. There is in reality, little about the GOP as a whole that truly represents your interests.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 08:26 PM
The problem is that who you may consider to be a winner, may not represent the interests of a large number of people who identify as Republican. A significant number of Republicans are social conservatives i.e. the Christian right. That is not your demographic. Another significant demographic, perhaps even the largest, are slightly right of center centrists, both of the latter of whom are actually statists, also not your demographic. Yours is a demographic that doesn't even completely comprise the Teapartiests. There is in reality, little about the GOP as a whole that truly represents your interests.
I suppose there are very few of us who support and defend the Constitution.

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 09:13 PM
I suppose there are very few of us who support and defend the Constitution.
There are very few who even bother to read it. There are even less who consider it a relevant document unless they are attempting to defend or oppose some form of legislation. Even of those who consider themselves constitutionalists, given the ideological divisions between the authors and signatories to the constitution, there are disagreements as to intent.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 09:18 PM
There are very few who even bother to read it. There are even less who consider it a relevant document unless they are attempting to defend or oppose some form of legislation. Even of those who consider themselves constitutionalists, given the ideological divisions between the authors and signatories to the constitution, there are disagreements as to intent.
Right. There are very few who support and defend the Constitution.

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Right. There are very few who support and defend the Constitution.
Right, very few who support and defend the Constitution and fewer still who consistently agree as to its meaning.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Right, very few who support and defend the Constitution and fewer still who consistently agree as to its meaning.
What is your argument?

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 09:29 PM
What is your argument?
That there is more than one definition of a Constitutionalist.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 09:48 PM
That there is more than one definition of a Constitutionalist.
I think you are arguing we already had a coup and the Americans lost.

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 10:03 PM
I think you are arguing we already had a coup and the Americans lost.
No, only that there are a lot of Constitutional lawyers out there and they don't all agree that every signatory to the Constitution was walking away with the same interpretations of the words. In fact, I imagine some of the vagaries were deliberate to ensure that everyone would sign. If vagaries were introduced into the text for reasons of poltical expediency, then any subsequent interpretations can be equally right or equally wrong. It introduced politics into the Constitution before it was even signed. The founders were not superhuman beings. They were all politicians with their own ideologies and agendas.

MisterVeritis
03-03-2017, 10:45 PM
No, only that there are a lot of Constitutional lawyers out there and they don't all agree that every signatory to the Constitution was walking away with the same interpretations of the words. In fact, I imagine some of the vagaries were deliberate to ensure that everyone would sign. If vagaries were introduced into the text for reasons of poltical expediency, then any subsequent interpretations can be equally right or equally wrong. It introduced politics into the Constitution before it was even signed. The founders were not superhuman beings. They were all politicians with their own ideologies and agendas.
Do you believe the founders would enumerate a very limited set of responsibilities and authorities for the Federal government and then laugh and say, "oh hell, the congress can do whatever it wants to? And that whole separation of powers thing? Just kidding! The judiciary? Yeah, we plan for it to have unlimited powers with no oversight or checks."

We might as well have our splendid little revolution and move on. The nation is already lost.

Dr. Who
03-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Do you believe the founders would enumerate a very limited set of responsibilities and authorities for the Federal government and then laugh and say, "oh hell, the congress can do whatever it wants to? And that whole separation of powers thing? Just kidding! The judiciary? Yeah, we plan for it to have unlimited powers with no oversight or checks."

We might as well have our splendid little revolution and move on. The nation is already lost.

It seems to me that's exactly what the federalists would do and what they did before the ink was even dry.

Green Arrow
03-04-2017, 12:00 AM
McCain does. So does Graham.

If you think McCain and Graham are progressives, you have no idea what a progressive actually is.

Green Arrow
03-04-2017, 12:01 AM
Right. No Obama holdovers. None. Clean the place out.

Nope. Mattis is a highly qualified and distinguished retired military general. Donald Trump is a billionaire buffoon. I don't give a rat's ass if the person Mattis wants worked for Adolf Hitler, let him have who he wants.